PDA

View Full Version : Firefox hits version 1.0

Tranquility
2004-Nov-10, 08:33 AM
The official release for Mozilla Firefox 1.0 is out.

Get it here (http://www.mozilla.org/).

Lycus
2004-Nov-10, 08:52 AM
Before you download, check the extensions page to make sure your favorite extensions are yet updated for 1.0.

EvilBob
2004-Nov-11, 03:37 AM
I removed the RC version a couple of weeks ago, because I was really sick of its quirks - not being able to sort the bookmarks properly, images not loading... And someone made the comment that every upgrade felt like a downgrade - I couldn't have agreed more.
Installed 1.0 yesterday, and haven't found a thing wrong with it yet! I'll have to wean my wife off IE slowly, but I will be sticking with Firefox. Even if your extensions aren't updated yet, give it a try.

Lycus
2004-Nov-11, 03:44 AM
RC wasn't a regular release though, was it? I thought it was just meant for coders or something. The last regular release before 1.0 was PR. If you're just a casual browser, you probably shouldn't have downloaded RC anyway. Oh well, that doesn't matter now.

EvilBob
2004-Nov-11, 03:47 AM
You're right - it was a 'Release Candidate'. But I was already tinkering with the previous version, to see what the fuss was about, and it updated itself to RC, I think. Because RC was really a test version, I gave it another chance with the full version.

And I'm an update freak anyway. If there's a patch or a newer version, I can't seem to resist installing it....

Lycus
2004-Nov-11, 03:58 AM
Here's a tip. It's on the Mozilla site, but some might miss it.

Type about:config into the address bar. Scroll down to browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs. It should say False on the far right. Right-click it and select Toggle to change it to True.

This will add an option under the Tabbed Browsing section of the advanced options menu that will take links that normally open in new windows and instead force them to open in a new tab (previously, you needed an extension for this). Like phpBB LINKS (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17558), for example.

EvilBob
2004-Nov-11, 05:41 AM
That's a neat trick. Thanks! I hate pages opening in new windows.

kucharek
2004-Nov-11, 06:19 AM
That's a neat trick. Thanks! I hate pages opening in new windows.
You could also click a link with the middle mouse button, then it will be opened in a new tab.

EvilBob
2004-Nov-11, 07:09 AM
You could also click a link with the middle mouse button, then it will be opened in a new tab.

:o

Haven't seen a mouse with three buttons in a long time... Do you mean click the wheel? I'm on IE at the moment, so I can't test that one.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-11, 08:37 AM
As an Opera user we don't have to worry about installing 10,000 extensions to get some feature of the browser to work :D . A new link opens in a new tab unless you actually right click on it and choose to open a new window.
These little convenient things win me over. Like highlighting a URL which you can't click on right away, and right clicking and choosing go to URL, or right clicking a choosing Open in background page so you aren't interrupted, or an option to paste a URL in the address bar and go to the URL straight away without having to click on Go. Dunno if these features are in other browsers but it sure makes me stick with Opera.

kucharek
2004-Nov-11, 08:40 AM

:o

Haven't seen a mouse with three buttons in a long time... Do you mean click the wheel? I'm on IE at the moment, so I can't test that one.

Yup.

Robert Andersson
2004-Nov-11, 06:39 PM
Like highlighting a URL which you can't click on right away, and right clicking and choosing go to URL, or right clicking a choosing Open in background page so you aren't interrupted, or an option to paste a URL in the address bar and go to the URL straight away without having to click on Go. Dunno if these features are in other browsers but it sure makes me stick with Opera.
You'll find all those features and more in Firefox. Also, with Firefox you can choose which features you want and they can be upgraded/exchanged independently.

I removed the RC version a couple of weeks ago, because I was really sick of its quirks - not being able to sort the bookmarks properly, images not loading... And someone made the comment that every upgrade felt like a downgrade - I couldn't have agreed more.
Yeah, I'm still running 0.8 :) I haven't yet tested 1.0, but versions 0.8 < x < 1.0 have annoyed me. For example, the popup blocking haven't worked on some sites as well as in <= 0.8 (it have either blocked all or none). I will probably try to upgrade soon anyway, when I have time.

Gullible Jones
2004-Nov-11, 07:37 PM
Woo hoo!

(Hmm... I wonder when the Archlinux version will be out. Probably pretty soon...)