PDA

View Full Version : Life on Titan

Glom
2004-Nov-10, 10:02 AM
What is the possibility that when Huygens gets down to the surface of Titan, it finds that there is life?

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-10, 11:58 AM
Does Huygens even have intrumentation on it to detect life? If not I'd say the odds are about zero. :wink:

mickal555
2004-Nov-10, 01:01 PM
I suppose if there were little blue(freezing) men and they grabed the cam. we might know, so don't be so sure Triangle :wink:

Swift
2004-Nov-10, 02:13 PM
I suppose if there were little blue(freezing) men and they grabed the cam. we might know, so don't be so sure Triangle :wink:
Maybe that's where these guys (http://www.blueman.com/) come from? :D

Bozola
2004-Nov-10, 03:47 PM
Life has pretty much folded and doesn't publish regularly anymore. You'd be better off looking for Time or Newsweek, instead.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-10, 04:59 PM
Life has pretty much folded and doesn't publish regularly anymore. You'd be better off looking for Time or Newsweek, instead.
Yes but it takes a long time to ship it to Titan, issues might still be on the newstands there. :)

Mr. Milton Banana
2004-Nov-11, 01:54 AM
What about finding life around so-called "hot spots"? Near volcanic vents or underground?

Although, "hot spot" is rather subjective, given Titan's cold temperatures and the kind of vulcanism that probably happens ( water as opposed to lava).

However, what if there is an underground ocean like at Europa and Callisto? With all those organic materials around, would that increase the chances of finding life?

:-k

2004-Nov-11, 07:59 AM
Life (http://www.life.com/Life/) has pretty much come back in a new form, a newspaper-insert weekly.

One of America's most iconic magazines is back! Appearing in your local newspaper every week, LIFE returns with its signature photography, photo essays, and tips and ideas on how to make the most of your weekend.

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-11, 07:54 PM
Maybe that's where these guys come from?

I just looked at the link .... :D :D :D great!

mickal555
2004-Nov-12, 05:47 AM
Maybe that's where these guys come from?

I just looked at the link .... :D :D :D great!
Remember that song :-({|= (the wissling man dousn't work)

Yo listen up: here's a story
About a little guy
That lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is
Just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette and everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he aint got nobody to listen: ...
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette it's standing outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feeling that live inside me
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette it's standing outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feeling that live inside me
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
Just blue like him inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette and everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he aint got nobody to listen: ...
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
I'm blue (da ba dee)
:P

Kullat Nunu
2004-Nov-12, 08:42 AM
However, what if there is an underground ocean like at Europa and Callisto? With all those organic materials around, would that increase the chances of finding life?

Titan's interior is probably too cold to have molten water in its interior. It orbits too far from Saturn and does not have massive moons as neighbors. Also Titan is composed of mixture of ice and rock (50% both) so it is very unlikely that it has enough radioactive material to keep its interior molten enough to create underground oceans (of water). But liquid/slushy mixture of water and other compounds may be possible (and that may explain the possible cryovolcanism).