PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Tito Wants to Send Human Mission to Mars in 2018

Fraser
2013-Feb-21, 01:40 AM
According to a press release posted on SpaceRef and NASAWatch, Dennis Tito — the first-ever space tourist — is planning send a human mission to Mars in January 2018 on a round-trip journey lasting 501 days. The trip would be timed to take advantage of the launch ‘window’ when Mars and Earth reach a position [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/100144/dennis-tito-wants-to-send-human-mission-to-mars-in-2018/)

troycoots
2013-Feb-21, 05:30 AM
Wouldn't it be more logical to use a balloon type craft or glider of some sort with instruments that can scan the ground and atmospheric conditions than to have a land based vehicle search for a location? There is more room for error with a rover which is why I suggest having a gliding craft that also has one of these land vehicles - I can imagine a sort of spider robot that is small and can be dropped, perhaps a dozen or so per drone; this would allow several sample areas to be covered simultaneously while the glider searches for more options around the planet. If the dropped "spiderbots" idea is feasible, I also think they should be essentially cell phones with legs; able to wander around and communicate with either the glider or satellite or both but relatively cheap and disposable. I am also writing these Mars One guys to propose some of these options to lower costs. If the robots can give us more information on year around weather conditions and run on either solar or wind power, it would be worth it in the end as they'd basically be tiny weather stations.

Swift
2013-Feb-21, 02:07 PM
In five years? I'll believe it when I see it.

swampyankee
2013-Feb-21, 03:03 PM
In five years? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd hate to say "not possible," but I've worked on aviation R&D projects. Yes, our motto as engineers is "bring money; we can do anything"; to get a human-ready Mars vehicle in five years, he better bring plenty of money. Among other things, he's going to have to fund the development of a sufficiently capable environmental control system to support the crew of a manned space vehicle (and Mars station) for a minimum of 501 days, a landing vehicle, and a manned vehicle that can launch from Mars. My rough estimate in another thread is 7e9 USD (Humans on Mars on the Cheap (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/142296-Human-on-Mars-on-the-cheap)). That would probably have to be doubled, at least, do all the required work in five years.

Sardonicone
2013-Feb-28, 12:48 AM
I'd hate to say "not possible," but I've worked on aviation R&D projects. Yes, our motto as engineers is "bring money; we can do anything"; to get a human-ready Mars vehicle in five years, he better bring plenty of money. Among other things, he's going to have to fund the development of a sufficiently capable environmental control system to support the crew of a manned space vehicle (and Mars station) for a minimum of 501 days, a landing vehicle, and a manned vehicle that can launch from Mars. My rough estimate in another thread is 7e9 USD (Humans on Mars on the Cheap (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/142296-Human-on-Mars-on-the-cheap)). That would probably have to be doubled, at least, do all the required work in five years.

It's a round trip swing by - No lander or Mars launch vehicle is needed.

However- I still don't see it happening in 5 years. I suppose this could be achieved with a Nautilus x and some sort of VASIMR or other next gen propulsion system - but then the math would be off on how long the round trip flight would take. I suppose chemical propulsion could work if it could be turned off and restarted - otherwise I'm not sure
how you'd get there using a vehicle large enough to support 2 people for almost a year and a half, and have sufficient radiation shielding.

Concerned
2013-Feb-28, 01:26 AM
Better use of money than building another titanic. It is always striking how many million/billionaires there are and how very few ever seem to be investiing in space projects. To think what could be achieved if even one billionaire came forward to fund certain projects, I.e the sentinel.

danscope
2013-Feb-28, 03:24 AM
But..... a billion dollars won't scratch the surface of a mars program ...even for one tiny footprints/flag cheerleading mission
and front page article on Popular Science. Not even 5 billion dollars.