PDA

View Full Version : The Right Stuff...inaccuracies?

mathyou9
2004-Nov-11, 07:10 AM
I just wastched The Right Stuff and I enjoyed it. However, I am aware there are inaccuracies in the movie. As for specifics, I don't know. I only know there are inaccuracies from various reviews of the movie that I have read.

If you can list any [specific] inaccuracies, please do so.

Also, I am aware of the "fireflies" that John Glenn saw while in orbit. Any Google search I do only confirms that he saw the "fireflies" but does not explain what the phenomenon actually was. If anyone knows what it was that he saw, I'd like to hear it.

kucharek
2004-Nov-11, 07:19 AM
I just wastched The Right Stuff and I enjoyed it. However, I am aware there are inaccuracies in the movie. As for specifics, I don't know. I only know there are inaccuracies from various reviews of the movie that I have read.

If you can list any [specific] inaccuracies, please do so.

As it is a movie inspired by real events, it takes a lot of artistic license and I don't know if you can call them inaccuracies. Main complaint about the book/movie is always the portrayal of Grissom's Mercury flight.

Also, I am aware of the "fireflies" that John Glenn saw while in orbit. Any Google search I do only confirms that he saw the "fireflies" but does not explain what the phenomenon actually was. If anyone knows what it was that he saw, I'd like to hear it.
The cooling system used a water sublimator. In Earth's shadow, evaporated water froze on the outer skin of the capsule. On sunrise, it went away and produced the fireflies. IIRC, it was Cooper who recognized that he could get plenty of fireflies by banging against the hull from the inside.

Harald

mathyou9
2004-Nov-11, 09:25 AM
Oh, and on a side note, this movie uses the "F" word five times [that I counted] and there is full side-view nudity. And yet it has been given a PG rating by the MPAA?

It seems today that if a movie even has the "F" word twice (or maybe thrice) [regardless of other content], it is rated R [by the MPAA.] Was the MPAA not paying attention?

Maksutov
2004-Nov-11, 12:26 PM
Oh, and on a side note, this movie uses the "F" word five times [that I counted] and there is full side-view nudity. And yet it has been given a PG rating by the MPAA?

It seems today that if a movie even has the "F" word twice (or maybe thrice) [regardless of other content], it is rated R [by the MPAA.] Was the MPAA not paying attention?
Who cares? Welcome to reality.

pghnative
2004-Nov-11, 07:52 PM

It seems today that if a movie even has the "F" word twice (or maybe thrice) [regardless of other content], it is rated R [by the MPAA.] Was the MPAA not paying attention?The usage is important. If used as a noun or verb, the movie will get an R rating. If used only as an adjective or interjection, you can use it a bunch of times and avoid an R rating.

jrkeller
2004-Nov-11, 08:43 PM
Here's a list of errors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/goofs)for the movie.

I have also found that most of the movies about the early days of the space program do not film in Houston, but somewhere else.

John Dlugosz
2004-Nov-11, 08:43 PM
and there is full side-view nudity. And yet it has been given a PG rating by the MPAA?

Oh? What time code?

mathyou9
2004-Nov-11, 10:37 PM
and there is full side-view nudity. And yet it has been given a PG rating by the MPAA?

Oh? What time code?
It's almost at the very end. It coincides with Yeager's last flight of the movie before he crashes the plane and just before Cooper' mission. Sally Rand is dancing [with the huge feathers] toward the end of the movie at the big celebration in Texas. Intially it seems as though she has a skin-tight [skin-toned] body suit on, but there is one point where she is clear of the huge feathers and we see her entire side, and I am almost sure she is not wearing anything (i.e., shadows and light appear to be real skin and not a suit.)