PDA

View Full Version : Forum rebuild [almost] complete!

Pages : [1] 2

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 08:54 AM
Hey all,

Cory and I spent many hours getting the forum restructured and rebuilt and we are completely done doing any code-level changes to the forum. There may be a few things that we need to tweak here and there in the settings, but the major tech issues that we were having have been completely resolved.

If there are anything that you're noticing isn't working properly the way it was before, please leave a reply here with that information so we can get it addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks for being a fantastic part of the forum!

Best,
Scott
(KnowTheCosmos)

galacsi
2013-Feb-23, 09:01 AM
Sorry I shoot too fast by two minutes and opened a new thread in the same subforum. May be you can merge it with this one

Nothing very dramatic , minor issues only.

And thanks for your work , I know what it is, having done this kind of job for enough years.

BetaDust
2013-Feb-23, 09:21 AM
Everone shows up logged in as "Guest"...

--Dennis

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 09:26 AM
I'm seeing that too. Let me ensure the usergroup settings are working correctly.

Everone shows up logged in as "Guest"...

--Dennis

BetaDust
2013-Feb-23, 09:44 AM
User CP seems fine, only "Basic Information" shows up: N/A.

-- Dennis

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 09:45 AM
As of right now I'm aware of the following glitches:

Everyone's coming up as guest.
Picture does not show up in username field.
Username is not clickable to get to profile.
Tapatalk is not correctly configured.

These are all things that will be addressed in the next few hours as our team does need to get some sleep as it's nearly 0400 there and 0200 here. Please let me know if there are new things that pop up so we can get them fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

Scott
(KnowTheCosmos)

BetaDust
2013-Feb-23, 09:55 AM
Good night then! And Thank you Scott!

-- Dennis

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-23, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the work! I googled the guest issue and found this on the vbulletin forum, not sure if it's relevant, but it sounds like a similar issue:

All users show up as guests after import (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-impex-import-system/420469-all-users-show-up-as-guest-after-import?)

It suggest to:

Update User Titles and Ranks tool in AdminCP > Maintenance > General Update Tools?

Nowhere Man
2013-Feb-23, 01:37 PM
Another thing you can add: The "Potential Loss of Private Messages" thread can be unstickied.

Fred

Nowhere Man
2013-Feb-23, 01:39 PM
Likewise the "*NOTICE* Changes in the forum" thread from the last go-round.

And add "Can't edit messages" to the list as well, also. It might be related to the "everyone showing up as Guest" problem.

Fred

Tog
2013-Feb-23, 02:14 PM
Subscribed threads have been lost
My PM's show I've got 114 stored, but they don't show up.
I've apparently never started a topic here, since I was hoping to find a list of my old questions that I used to have saves as subscriptions. I assume that's the case with everyone.
Before this update/reset, clicking on NEW POSTS would bring up everything that hadn't been read. Now it seems to be marking all threads read on each visit.

grapes
2013-Feb-23, 02:18 PM
Subscribed threads have been lost
My PM's show I've got 114 stored, but they don't show up.
I sent a single PM, and that message about the number stored disappeared. I now only show one, the one I sent.

I've apparently never started a topic here, since I was hoping to find a list of my old questions that I used to have saves as subscriptions.
You might be able to search by Threads Started, I'll check.

ETA: no, not yet. Search only seems to be indexed for recent posts. The index may have to be rebuilt.

I assume that's the case with everyone.
Before this update/reset, clicking on NEW POSTS would bring up everything that hadn't been read. Now it seems to be marking all threads read on each visit.
Ah, yes, I noticed that too. Also, it treats my own posts as new posts, which it didn't before.

Eta C
2013-Feb-23, 04:08 PM
I've also noticed that all avatars and signatures are missing.

LookingSkyward
2013-Feb-23, 06:40 PM
As is all of the info in the "about me" section of the profiles... edit to test...

Solfe
2013-Feb-23, 06:48 PM
I picked the wrong day to change my linux distro and browser...

In any event, I can't help but notice that hovering over names does not pop up the usual options like "PM, profile, etc.". It could be just me, but I am not sure.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-23, 06:52 PM
Let's see.
"About me" didn't port.
Pictures didn't port.
Signatures didn't port.
Smilies don't seem to work.
AutoSave didn't work after log-out log-in sequence.

But, oh happy day, my PM's ported just fine.

Am I the only one to see the irony in this???

(This is truly ment to be tongue in cheek, but the smilies don't seem to be working.)

Philippe Lemay
2013-Feb-23, 06:52 PM
lol, all of the veterans and experts are gone! We've all regressed to guests.

Who will lead the community now.

EDIT:

OH? Nevermind, the names are showing normally for me now.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 06:53 PM
I believe I fixed a large chunk of the issue. Can anybody verify?

Thanks.

Scott

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-23, 06:54 PM
And my posts now have to be approved by a moderator.

This doesn't make me a happy camper.

(This is not meant to be tongue in cheek.)

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-23, 06:59 PM
I believe I fixed a large chunk of the issue. Can anybody verify?

Thanks.

Scott

Which "chunk" did you fix???

My portrait "About Me" is still blank and Avatars are still missing.

And my posts still need to be approved by a moderator, dispite the fact that I am a Senior Member with over 1000 posts already.

And trying to post this message, I got a 'security token was missing' warning.

Philippe Lemay
2013-Feb-23, 07:09 PM
@ KnowTheCosmos

Well the forum change seems to have removed my old avatar, but aside for that things seem to work again.

EDIT:
To clarify, I re-added my avatar myself.

LookingSkyward
2013-Feb-23, 07:11 PM
I can edit my posts, but bio info in user profiles is still missing. And for started threads I see one in my profile... prettur sure I've started more than one :) - thanks for all the work, Scott & team, I know just how much fun rebuilding databases can be :)

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 07:13 PM
I'm currently going through and rebuilding the username/usergroup fields by clearing out the forum cache and having the software scan through and repopulate those. It's a slow process, but they're currently being run as we speak.

I'm still looking into the issues of the avatars, about me sections, and why your permissions are wonky, though I'm seeing you down as a senior member. Once the two scrips I'm currently running are complete, I'll go in to see if there is a default that was triggered to make *all* users requiring moderation, which shouldn't be the case.

Which "chunk" did you fix???

My portrait "About Me" is still blank and Avatars are still missing.

And my posts still need to be approved by a moderator, dispite the fact that I am a Senior Member with over 1000 posts already.

And trying to post this message, I got a 'security token was missing' warning.

LookingSkyward
2013-Feb-23, 07:18 PM
Thanks Scott. I for one really appreciate that you are engaged and working on the issues. Not the most fun way to spend a Saturday!

Solfe
2013-Feb-23, 07:21 PM
I only see a few avatars and can see ranks of posters. Hovering over names is working, as is the clickable options. My subscribed threads are still missing except for today's actions. My bio is all "N/A" and I haven't see a "Kilopi" today. :)

(Edit - Edit works too)

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 07:21 PM
You're very welcome. We'll make sure everything gets resolved. Luckily (on the build team/moderator/admin end), many of the very large technical issues were resolved in the major rebuild, including the report feature and functionality. That is now working properly.

A lot of the issues that have sprung up seem to be due to cached settings, which are currently being flushed and rebuilt. I'll be here as long as I need to today getting things working.

Thanks Scott. I for one really appreciate that you are engaged and working on the issues. Not the most fun way to spend a Saturday!

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-23, 07:27 PM
Links are still nearly invisible in the default "red" skin.
Earthly geology/volcano posts have not, as I think was promised, been moved from "geology and planetary surfaces" back to "science and technology". And posts in "geology and planetary surfaces are showing up in inverse order, oldest on top, or so it appears. I have to click the column heading for "last post by" a couple of times to get them in the right order.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 07:31 PM
The ordering should be an easy fix. Waiting for two scripts to finish processing and I'll look into default ordering of that child forum.

Thanks for your feedback on the links. I need to collaborate with the rest of ownership before I make executive decisions on any changes of the CosmoQuest "brand" or "look", but I think it's very important that making links easier to identify.

Links are still nearly invisible in the default "red" skin.
Earthly geology/volcano posts have not, as I think was promised, been moved from "geology and planetary surfaces" back to "science and technology". And posts in "geology and planetary surfaces are showing up in inverse order, oldest on top, or so it appears. I have to click the column heading for "last post by" a couple of times to get them in the right order.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 07:37 PM
I'll need to manually go through and push in the kilopi usergroup. That's a little lower on my priority list, but it's on there and will be completed today.

I only see a few avatars and can see ranks of posters. Hovering over names is working, as is the clickable options. My subscribed threads are still missing except for today's actions. My bio is all "N/A" and I haven't see a "Kilopi" today.

(Edit - Edit works too)

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-23, 08:06 PM
Good work, Scott.

I really do appreciate all the hard work you're putting into this transition.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 08:16 PM
Script for the usertitle "Order of Kilopi" is currently in progress.

Working in the user/usergroup permissions right now.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-23, 09:12 PM
I'm still seeing escaped apostrophe characters in the forum descriptions.

e.g.

Exploring the Kuiper Belt

It\'s ice! Dwarf Planets, Trans-neptunian objects, and Proto-Comets - Oh my!

No biggie, but just thought I'd mention it.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 09:16 PM
I'm still seeing escaped apostrophe characters in the forum descriptions.

e.g.

No biggie, but just thought I'd mention it.

Done and done.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-23, 09:24 PM
My post STILL require moderator approval.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 09:54 PM
My post STILL require moderator approval.

You have a PM waiting for you in your inbox.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-23, 10:02 PM
Done and done.

Thanks.

(Missed one: under Ice Investigators)

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-23, 10:09 PM
Thanks.

(Missed one: under Ice Investigators)

Got it. Thanks.

Hornblower
2013-Feb-24, 01:18 AM
Avatar test. This is only a test.

Hornblower
2013-Feb-24, 01:20 AM
Avatar test. This is only a test.

My avatar still is not showing. Do I need to reset anything or is the debugging still a work in progress?

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-24, 01:33 AM
My avatar still is not showing. Do I need to reset anything or is the debugging still a work in progress?

Mine wasn't showing, but by going through profile settings I was able to just upload a new one. Needed a change anyway.

Hornblower
2013-Feb-24, 02:00 AM
My avatar is up and running again. Thanks.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-24, 02:27 AM
The best forums are down the bottom. Can you swap them around please.

You can collapse any collection of forums you're not interested in by clicking on the little up-arrow icon to the far right of the title.

Solfe
2013-Feb-24, 03:12 AM
When I try to upload a .gif for an avatar, I receive this message: This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension.

It's not a big thing, but maybe some day, some one can look at it. I have no problem uploading a jpeg at all.

(Thanks to Jeff for saving my avatar from my impatience.)

Nowhere Man
2013-Feb-24, 03:45 AM
Are we going to have to restore our avatars and signatures ourselves, or are they on the list for recovery?

Fred

Cougar
2013-Feb-24, 03:55 AM
You can collapse any collection of forums...

Oh. Cool. Wish I had time for some of the other forums, but....

HenrikOlsen
2013-Feb-24, 06:58 AM
Signature missing,

Albums have the images, so that's good. Links to images in albums work as well, which is excellent and would have been a major pain to fix manually.

galacsi
2013-Feb-24, 09:04 AM
Hello Thanks for all your Work.

I have a new issue (for me , don't know if this have already said ) The location of the poster has disappeared. This is an intersting information. (When given . ..)

HenrikOlsen
2013-Feb-24, 09:13 AM
Perhaps it's easiest to simply note that all personal info is gone.
I.e. avatars, signatures, hobbies, location etc.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-24, 09:43 AM
The [tex] tag handler has gone.

Jim
2013-Feb-24, 04:43 PM
Perhaps it's easiest to simply note that all personal info is gone.
I.e. avatars, signatures, hobbies, location etc.

You will have to reload your personal information. That will get your avatar back, but your location and signature don't seem to show up when you post. To be honest, I don't know if that's the CQ default or something from the rebuild.

(It will make those old Moderator admonishments to "Read the Rules. There's a link in my signature." kinda strange.)

And suddenly it's there! (But the strikethrough option isn't.)

Solfe
2013-Feb-24, 05:03 PM
I don't often hit the "go advanced" for posting, but it appears to me that the smiles take up less room.

That is a very welcome update. Thanks!

Nowhere Man
2013-Feb-24, 05:08 PM
Yes, they do. In the previous incarnation, they were all on one line, now they're in a 3x5 block. I complained about that pointed that out a while ago.

My avatar and sig hadn't shown up, so I re-did them. Strikethrough is still broken.

Fred

Gillianren
2013-Feb-24, 05:34 PM
I didn't install my avatar in the first place. If this is broken, there's nothing I can do.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-24, 05:48 PM
I didn't install my avatar in the first place. If this is broken, there's nothing I can do.

Well, nothing you can do .... :whistle:

Gillianren
2013-Feb-24, 06:25 PM
Thank you!

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-24, 06:36 PM
We're still getting things taken care of for subscriptions, user info and avatars. Thank you everyone for your patience and support through the rebuild.

Scott

Jens
2013-Feb-25, 01:20 AM
I'll need to manually go through and push in the kilopi usergroup. That's a little lower on my priority list, but it's on there and will be completed today.

It shouldn't be low. That should be the top one, because you probably know that very bad things can happen if one member forgets the proper protocol and forgets to use the secret handshake embedded in the message text. So if we aren't able to recognize other members, you could have blood on your hands.

Other than that, thanks for the effort!

Jens
2013-Feb-25, 01:30 AM
I'm also not sure where to find my former avatar. I guess I downloaded or uploaded it from somewhere. . .

Lurking Nerd
2013-Feb-25, 01:31 AM
Here's another small one. I read all the posts in a forum but the forum doesn't get marked as read until I look at the threads in the forum again. For example, I was reading this thread. Since it was the last post to read, I went directly to the forum Introductions and Feedback. After reading that, I then click on the About the Forums and it shows that there are unread posts in the Forum Rules forum but when I go in there are none. I remember this being brought up after the merger and ToSeek mentioned a setting for updating this status but I couldn't find that post with a quick search.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 02:29 AM
Here's another small one. I read all the posts in a forum but the forum doesn't get marked as read until I look at the threads in the forum again. For example, I was reading this thread. Since it was the last post to read, I went directly to the forum Introductions and Feedback. After reading that, I then click on the About the Forums and it shows that there are unread posts in the Forum Rules forum but when I go in there are none. I remember this being brought up after the merger and ToSeek mentioned a setting for updating this status but I couldn't find that post with a quick search.
I've noticed the same problem

Nowhere Man
2013-Feb-25, 02:34 AM
Dates are formatted dd-mm-yyyy. That's kind of confusing for Yanks like me. I don't see "date format" in the settings page.

Fred

Jim
2013-Feb-25, 03:25 AM
Dates are formatted dd-mm-yyyy. That's kind of confusing for Yanks like me. I don't see "date format" in the settings page.

Well, at least we can appreciate the confusion 'merican-style causes our British cousins. An option would be nice.

(And it brings up the question, why is this date style the default?)

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-25, 04:13 AM
Here's another small one. I read all the posts in a forum but the forum doesn't get marked as read until I look at the threads in the forum again.

I think it defaults to a different "posts read" update setting. Here's a prior post with information I found on "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?137859-Absentee-landlords&p=2060105&viewfull=1#post2060105

novaderrik
2013-Feb-25, 04:35 AM

Fred

cool.. i wasn't the only one that was thrown off by this..

also, i can't put my sig line back to how it was because the infamous "moon man" thread that i linked to in it seems to have been purged from existence..

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-25, 04:53 AM
cool.. i wasn't the only one that was thrown off by this..

also, i can't put my sig line back to how it was because the infamous "moon man" thread that i linked to in it seems to have been purged from existence..

This one? http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?34711-I-Will-Prove-The-Moon-Landings-Were-Hoaxed&highlight=

novaderrik
2013-Feb-25, 02:11 PM
yeah. that's the one... didn't show up in the search for me...
i feel like i need to preserve the memory of that thread, for it is as the kids say "epic"..

ToSeek
2013-Feb-25, 02:48 PM
I'm also not sure where to find my former avatar. I guess I downloaded or uploaded it from somewhere. . .

I tracked down mine (and Gillianren's) by doing a directed Google image search, e.g., "ToSeek site:cosmoquest.org". Bearded mirror Spock was in the second row, still tabbed as an avatar.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-25, 03:09 PM
Well, at least we can appreciate the confusion 'merican-style causes our British cousins. An option would be nice.

(And it brings up the question, why is this date style the default?)

Fairly certain I resolved this immediately after the rebuild. I'm seeing it in international format of DDMMYYYY on my end. Is that different for everyone else?

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-25, 03:11 PM

Yes, I'm aware of this as well. When I get back to the office today I'll catch up with my support team to see where we're at as far as resolving any of the remaining issues.

Thank you all for your patience.

Scott

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 03:13 PM
Fairly certain I resolved this immediately after the rebuild. I'm seeing it in international format of DDMMYYYY on my end. Is that different for everyone else?
I am seeing dates as dd-mm-yyyy. I used to see mm-dd-yyyy; have for as long as I remember. I don't recall if this was a personal option or not, or where an individual might set it.

If it is set at the forum level, it used to be set differently. I won't show any date-ism and express a preference for the board default.

KnowTheCosmos
2013-Feb-25, 03:17 PM
I am seeing dates as dd-mm-yyyy. I used to see mm-dd-yyyy; have for as long as I remember. I don't recall if this was a personal option or not, or where an individual might set it.

If it is set at the forum level, it used to be set differently. I won't show any date-ism and express a preference for the board default.

Gotcha. Alright, I'll take a look at it when I'm back in the office. Will be on campus for the next 5 hours, then will be back to work on the forum and such.

Best,
Scott

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 03:17 PM
A lot of the issues that have sprung up seem to be due to cached settings, which are currently being flushed and rebuilt. I'll be here as long as I need to today getting things working.
Is this still going on (flushing and rebuilding the caches), pariticularly with regard to personal info, avatars and signatures, or is this complete? I want to know if I should abandon hope that the software will reinstall my avatar, signature and personal information, and just redo it myself.

NEOWatcher
2013-Feb-25, 04:33 PM
I'm getting a strange behavior from read posts.
After I read (or mark as read) all the posts in a forum I go back to the top level and the forum says there are still unread posts.
If I go back to the forum, and back out then it will show correctly.

Eta C
2013-Feb-25, 04:33 PM

edit to add, although I seem to be able to post OK and the post count and join date show up accurately.

caveman1917
2013-Feb-25, 05:01 PM

I've always seen it as dd-mm-yyyy so i think it was localized. Probably through browser settings rather than a personal forum option i would assume, so it may be a option in vbulletin that gives a choice between several date formats or "use browser settings" or something like that.

caveman1917
2013-Feb-25, 05:08 PM
Would it be possible to switch the places of "Science and Technology" and "Geology & Planetary Surfaces"? Having S&T as the last in that section seems to fit more with a "first all specific sciences and then the forum for everything that doesn't fit in the above". At least that's what it says in the forum description for S&T.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 05:43 PM
Would it be possible to switch the places of "Science and Technology" and "Geology & Planetary Surfaces"? Having S&T as the last in that section seems to fit more with a "first all specific sciences and then the forum for everything that doesn't fit in the above". At least that's what it says in the forum description for S&T.
Actually, we were considering folding Geology & Planetary Surfaces back into S&T (where it used to be), but I think we are waiting till other issues get fixed.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 06:05 PM
After I read (or mark as read) all the posts in a forum I go back to the top level and the forum says there are still unread posts.
It has been noted:

Luckmeister
2013-Feb-25, 06:16 PM

It's always been that way for me if I go back to the forum top level through my browser (IE8) history as it does not automatically refresh the page from that path.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 06:19 PM
It's always been that way for me if I go back to the forum top level through my browser (IE8) history as it does not automatically refresh the page from that path.
I think that is true for everyone, if you just hit the back button on your browser. The problem now is that if you don't do that, but instead scroll to the top of the page you are on (like this one) and hit the link to Forum (the front page), which will reload the page, it still doesn't update that immediately. We had this problem before (post merger) and found a fix - we will need to rediscover it.

mantiss
2013-Feb-25, 06:26 PM
Are the RSS feeds going to be enabled? I used to get reference those and can't anymore.

NEOWatcher
2013-Feb-25, 06:32 PM
It has been noted:
Thanks; I guess I missed it, or passed off the comment as part of losing all the personal information at time of update (like last read post).
(btw: it seems like an explicit "mark this forum as read" is ok)

ABR.
2013-Feb-25, 06:33 PM
Two small items I've noticed that I don't think have been mentioned already.

1. On the red bar at the bottom of all pages is a link to CosmoQuest. This now goes to the main page for "CosmoQuest.org" instead of "http://cosmoquest.org/forum/forum.php. There is a button marked "Forum" at the top of the page, but I always found it convenient to have a button for the forum index at the bottom of the page as well.

2. I seem to be getting automatically logged out of the system after a very short time -- maybe 10-15 minutes*. This log-out time was considerably longer before the forum rebuild and I can't find a setting where I can manually make this adjustment.

3. Forum skin...okay, make that three, THREE, items....

*ETA: I just got logged out after 15 minutes.

Solfe
2013-Feb-25, 07:14 PM
I have this odd glitch where if I post last in a thead and then go to usercp.php or hit the New Posts link, I see that thread. In the past, neither item showed me my own posts as "new".

Edit - There also seems to be an incredible amount of space between my post and my sig line. I did go back and check to make sure I didn't screw up my own sig line.

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-25, 07:32 PM
I think that is true for everyone, if you just hit the back button on your browser. The problem now is that if you don't do that, but instead scroll to the top of the page you are on (like this one) and hit the link to Forum (the front page), which will reload the page, it still doesn't update that immediately. We had this problem before (post merger) and found a fix - we will need to rediscover it.

Wasn't that by changing "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" to option 3?

Again:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?137859-Absentee-landlords&p=2060105&viewfull=1#post2060105

The types:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Lurking Nerd
2013-Feb-25, 07:44 PM
I think it defaults to a different "posts read" update setting. Here's a prior post with information I found on "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type":

Excellent. That was the exact post I was thinking of but just couldn't find for whatever reason. Two post later, ToSeek said he selected option #3 so it would be nice to do that again.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 07:53 PM
Wasn't that by changing "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" to option 3?

Again:

The types:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based
Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2) Database (no automatic forum marking)
This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3) Database (automatic forum marking)
This option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
Brilliant!

It is actually currently set to Type 1. I'll set it to 3 and we'll see what happens.

I also expanded it back to 30 posts per page; it was set to 10 after the rebuild.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-25, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure how far back this goes, but I'm currently having literally dozens of threads marked as having new posts, despite the fact that they haven't had new posts since the last time I looked at them. When I check them, it takes me to posts made a week or so ago--even if there are posts made after I checked that one.

Swift
2013-Feb-25, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure how far back this goes, but I'm currently having literally dozens of threads marked as having new posts, despite the fact that they haven't had new posts since the last time I looked at them. When I check them, it takes me to posts made a week or so ago--even if there are posts made after I checked that one.
I'm pretty sure it is because of the change I just made (I see the same thing too). I'm guessing that it reset to a pre-rebuild state for all of us, and that once you've marked things read, it should work properly again. I'm blundering through this as best as I can.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-25, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it is because of the change I just made (I see the same thing too). I'm guessing that it reset to a pre-rebuild state for all of us, and that once you've marked things read, it should work properly again. I'm blundering through this as best as I can.

OK, I read the thread earlier today. I have read this thread before and I entered today from the forum page. I read to post #84.

I logged out and just came back. I entered from the forum page and instead of being send to the first unread post, I was sent to the first post of the thread.

I tried posting this message, and the system told me that the file was too large to process.

AND all of my posts still require moderator approval.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-25, 08:41 PM
OK, now I'm beginning to get upset.
First, I tried to reply with quote to Swift's post #90.

I got a 'file to large to process' message.

I tried again.

Things just hung up.

Autosave doesn't seem to be working.

AND my posts STILL require moderator approval.

Jim
2013-Feb-25, 09:09 PM
Edit - There also seems to be an incredible amount of space between my post and my sig line. I did go back and check to make sure I didn't screw up my own sig line.

I think that's because you have an avatar. The signature line is positioned after the stuff on the left and the avatar makes that stuff longer.

ABR.
2013-Feb-26, 03:16 AM
2. I seem to be getting automatically logged out of the system after a very short time -- maybe 10-15 minutes*. This log-out time was considerably longer before the forum rebuild and I can't find a setting where I can manually make this adjustment.

*ETA: I just got logged out after 15 minutes.

I neglected to mention that I had already tried the "Remember Me" switch before writing this. It didn't work. I tried it again and now I'm staying logged in longer.

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-26, 04:38 AM
Great. Now the forum has lost all track of what posts I've read I'm calling it. CosmoQuest, you've officially ruined this forum. I'm upset. This is like my second (or third) home and you've ruined it. RUINED IT!

And I've still got no avatar.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-26, 04:41 AM
Great. Now the forum has lost all track of what posts I've read I'm calling it. CosmoQuest, you've officially ruined this forum. I'm upset. This is like my second (or third) home and you've ruined it. RUINED IT!

You can just re-upload your own avatar. Just takes a few moments.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-26, 04:46 AM
Great. Now the forum has lost all track of what posts I've read

The setting for keeping track of the threads you've read changed with the switchover. Swift just changed it back to the way it was. It's going to be a little confused right now about what you have and haven't read, but from here on out it should work just the way it did before.

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-26, 05:12 AM
You can just re-upload your own avatar. Just takes a few moments.

That's assuming I can find it. And I'm not the one who lost it. I probably don't even own the computer it was on any more.

(Taking a deep breath....)

OK, sorry for the whining. I had a long tiring day and and this just kind of tipped me over the edge. I'll be better tomorrow, I promise.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-26, 05:37 AM
I guess that pic was one of your own. Will a temp do?

Trebuchet
2013-Feb-26, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. The picture I had was my first large machine throwing its first ever punkin in 2005. I must have it somewhere.

Solfe
2013-Feb-26, 06:04 AM
That's assuming I can find it. And I'm not the one who lost it. I probably don't even own the computer it was on any more.

(Taking a deep breath....)

OK, sorry for the whining. I had a long tiring day and and this just kind of tipped me over the edge. I'll be better tomorrow, I promise.

Here - 18187

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-26, 06:06 AM
Next attempt:

Edit: beaten by two minutes while fiddling with the file format in the image uploader! Grrr!

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 06:14 AM
Question for the admins: Would it be possible (without huge work) to add Mak's and Mike's avatars back? Here are the images in order:

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 06:23 AM
For avatar images, I've been doing an image search on Google with this search text (in this case with Maksutov as the search name):

site:http://cosmoquest.org Maksutov avatar

It's not very specific though (it brings up a lot of images), but as long as you know what your avatar was, it's not an issue.

Still . . . has anyone come up with a more specific search?

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 06:40 AM
Could the usernames/avatars, etc. be put back at the top of the posts? I can get used to the color (though I prefer blue), but the side column is a huge waste of space and very annoying for long posts.

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 07:53 AM
Interesting, from the image search it looks like the avatars are still stored at the site, even if they aren't linked.

Here's Mak's:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/customavatars/avatar3135_15.gif

And Mike's:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/customavatars/avatar2233_81.gif

. . . so looking at the link is one way to be sure you've got an avatar.

Swift
2013-Feb-26, 01:22 PM
Question for the admins: Would it be possible (without huge work) to add Mak's and Mike's avatars back? Here are the images in order:
Done (I think... please let me know if I did something wrong)

By the way, good idea.

Swift
2013-Feb-26, 03:58 PM
:D :rimshot: :mad:

:sick: :confused: :doh-default:

This is a smiley test, and yes, some of them seem messed up. The weird thing is that they look correct in the smiley list, but not in the post.

(confused and big smile are wrong images, rimshot and sick and doh don't work)

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-26, 04:57 PM

At least you haven't had to wait for 4 days for your posts to not have to get moderator approval.
And I don't have an avatar either.
Or my signatures.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-26, 04:58 PM
This is a smiley test, and yes, some of them seem messed up. The weird thing is that they look correct in the smiley list, but not in the post.

(confused and big smile are wrong images, rimshot and sick and doh don't work)

And if you look at the Smilie Manager on the Admin Panel, everything looks fine. My guess is that the system is currently configured for the wrong directory of smilies, given that the ": D" smilie that comes out is different from the one that the Smilie Manager has.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-26, 04:58 PM
Oh, am I'm STILL waiting.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-26, 04:59 PM
You would think, that by now, I would have exceeded the minimum post requirement to FINALLY bypass moderator approval.

grapes
2013-Feb-26, 05:24 PM
I just now approved from the moderation queue AstroRockHunter's last three posts to this thread.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-26, 05:30 PM
I just now approved from the moderation queue AstroRockHunter's last three posts to this thread.

Thank you!

(Now I'm just playing with you. :) )

Swift
2013-Feb-26, 06:16 PM
Thank you!

(Now I'm just playing with you. :) )
I think I have a clue as to the problem. I just approved the quoted post, but before I did, I saw this:
The yellow shield mark by the waiting for approval indicates (apparently, this is a new feature) a spammer. I'm guessing somehow the software thinks you are a spammer. I don't how to fix, I'll let the more IT literate figure it out. Sorry.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-26, 07:40 PM
I think I have a clue as to the problem. I just approved the quoted post, but before I did, I saw this:
The yellow shield mark by the waiting for approval indicates (apparently, this is a new feature) a spammer. I'm guessing somehow the software thinks you are a spammer. I don't how to fix, I'll let the more IT literate figure it out. Sorry.

If KnowTheCosmos, who first started working on this problem, didn't "notice the spammer flag" then I'm not very confident that the "more IT literate" will figure it out.

Funny, the move to Cosmoquest was, in part, justified by the idea that the administration of the site would be improved.

Again, am I the only one who sees the irony in this???

(No, I'm not playing with you this time. :( )

Copernicus
2013-Feb-26, 08:33 PM
When is Tex goint to start working againg?

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-26, 09:20 PM
When is Tex goint to start working againg?

And the spell checker? (Just kidding.)

Copernicus
2013-Feb-26, 09:29 PM
And the spell checker? (Just kidding.) That is funny! Must be because my againg is accelerating again.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-26, 09:48 PM
Another for the list: can the "Moderator" and "Administrator" titles be made bigger? (Can they be styled?)

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 10:39 PM
Done (I think... please let me know if I did something wrong)

The avatars look good. Thanks! Not seeing their avatars was bothering me.

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-26, 11:43 PM
If KnowTheCosmos, who first started working on this problem, didn't "notice the spammer flag" then I'm not very confident that the "more IT literate" will figure it out.

Funny, the move to Cosmoquest was, in part, justified by the idea that the administration of the site would be improved.

Again, am I the only one who sees the irony in this???

Well, in fairness, rebuild projects like this tend to be time consuming and complicated, and I expect that KnowTheCosmos put quite a lot of effort into this. Also, it's very common in software that some aspects of configuration can be unobvious. Software documentation often lacks important detail, and is often written in a confusing manner. I understand your frustration, but believe me, the software support side can be very frustrating as well.

Anyway, on your problem, I don't know the software, but I tried reading up a bit. A few questions:

Have you tried posting in different sections of the board? Do you still need approval for (for example) Q&A or Off topic babbling? Do PMs work okay?

Earlier you had a problem where you got a 'file too large to process' message. Roughly, how large was this post? (Include all text, whether in the form of quotations or not) Was it all just text, or did you have other stuff (like graphics files) included?

Next time you get error messages, could you note down the exact text of the messages? And once it gets out of moderation, could you link to the post that got the message?

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-27, 12:09 AM
Well, in fairness, rebuild projects like this tend to be time consuming and complicated, and I expect that KnowTheCosmos put quite a lot of effort into this. Also, it's very common in software that some aspects of configuration can be unobvious. Software documentation often lacks important detail, and is often written in a confusing manner. I understand your frustration, but believe me, the software support side can be very frustrating as well.
I appreciate how much time and effort KTC has put in and how complicated these thing could be. Having been on the hardware side of thing for 35+ years, I also know how confusing hardware and software documentation can be.

But, in all fairness, Phil and Fraser merged their two boards into one, and since then, the board moved servers at least twice before the move to cosmosquest. And even to move to CQ had fewer problems than has been encountered with this "upgrade".

Anyway, on your problem, I don't know the software, but I tried reading up a bit. A few questions:
Have you tried posting in different sections of the board?Yes.

Do you still need approval for (for example) Q&A or Off topic babbling?Yes.

Do PMs work okay?Yes.

Earlier you had a problem where you got a 'file to large too process' message. Roughly, how large was this post? (Include all text, whether in the form of quotations or not) Was it all just text, or did you have olter stuff (like graphics files) included?That would be what is now post #90.

Next time you get error messages, could you note down the exact text of the messages? And once it gets out of moderation, could you link to the post that got the message? (Once it gets out of moderation, of course).

I would have linked to the post, but I couldn't because (wait for it) the post had to be approved by a moderator!!!

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-27, 12:11 AM
I tried Googling on AstroRockHunter's problem. I found these threads, suggesting some things to try:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-3-8/vbulletin-3-8-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/317453-why-are-some-threads-going-automatically-into-moderation

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-7-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/299018-moderator-approval-bug?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-3-8/vbulletin-3-8-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/313948-moderation-rules-settings

One of the things that caught my eye was some discussion about something called "Akisment":

5. If you have the Akismet setting turned on, it could be automatically moderating some posts:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Spam Management -> vBulletin Anti-Spam Key Powered by Akismet
[...]
Yes, Akismet can sometimes give false positives. There is no way to manage that from vB.
[...]
There's a setting in Spam Management that tells Akismet to stop scanning after X posts of a user. I have no idea how I missed this setting before, but I did This setting was at 0 which was telling Akismet to scan every single post from every member. Setting this to a number greater than 0 stops scanning posts from a given user after the specified posts.

Could the setting have been changed to zero? (I know there used to be a fairly small limit on the number of posts to be moderated.)

For the case they are discussing at the site, here's a list of things they recommend checking:

1. Check the overall Usergroup settings for the relevant usergroups and make sure moderation is turned off:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Follow Forum Moderation Rules -> Yes

2. Check the individual forum settings to make sure moderation is turned off:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Moderate Posts and Moderate Threads -> No

3. Check ALL the usergroup permissions for that forum (Forum Permissions). One of the usergroups they are in has Follow Forum Moderation Rules set to 'No'. This needs to be set to 'Yes'.

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions -> Follow Forum Moderation Rules

4. Make sure the Primary usergroup has 'Allow Users to have Member Groups ' set to 'Yes'. Otherwise secondary permissions are not considered.

5. If you have the Akismet setting turned on, it could be automatically moderating some posts:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Spam Management -> vBulletin Anti-Spam Key Powered by Akismet

If these permissions are all set correctly and you still have this problem, then it is from a modification you made.

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-27, 01:25 AM
Well, this is odd. I went to post this on the Avatar thread and starting around here I started having problems:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?142626-Can-t-find-your-avatar&p=2111683&viewfull=1#post2111683

When I tried to post, I got a message about having to wait 30 seconds, but hadn't posted that recently. Then I waited and tried again and got the same message. So I suspected it had posted, and checked in another window, but didn't see any posts. At that point I started suspecting it might have been moderated? Anyway, tried again, same message. After that, I tried some test posts and got timeout errors.

So maybe it was a temporary glitch due to heavy server load? Or were there any moderated posts?

Jim
2013-Feb-27, 01:53 AM
None in the queue from you, but several from AstroRockHunter and one from Kai Yeves.

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-27, 02:05 AM
None in the queue from you, but several from AstroRockHunter and one from Kai Yeves.

Interesting, thanks for checking. So for me I'm guessing a glitch (the board was very slow there for a bit).

But that's also interesting for Kai Yeves. If it hasn't been done yet, it sounds like it might be worth checking "Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Spam Management -> vBulletin Anti-Spam Key Powered by Akismet" to see if it's set to 0. (If it is even being used . . . is it?).

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-27, 02:22 AM
That would be what is now post #90.

Okay, thanks for that and the other information. There's nothing that pops out in post 90. Very strange issue. Pure speculation, but if a spam filter is looking at your posts, I wonder if it might be triggering on your name? Maybe it thinks you hunt for and sell meteorites.

pzkpfw
2013-Feb-27, 02:49 AM
Stolen from apollohoax - in case it's not been raised here yet:

Is it still working? Tapatalk keeps failing to connect.

Tapatalk requires that a plugin be installed. They probably just haven't gotten around to re-installing it since the upgrade.

Swift
2013-Feb-27, 03:00 AM
One of the things that caught my eye was some discussion about something called "Akisment":

[...]
Yes, Akismet can sometimes give false positives. There is no way to manage that from vB.
[...]
There's a setting in Spam Management that tells Akismet to stop scanning after X posts of a user. I have no idea how I missed this setting before, but I did This setting was at 0 which was telling Akismet to scan every single post from every member. Setting this to a number greater than 0 stops scanning posts from a given user after the specified posts.

Could the setting have been changed to zero? (I know there used to be a fairly small limit on the number of posts to be moderated.)

Akismet was just turned on by the build team after the rebuild, and the threshold was set to zero (I suspect that's the default). I've changed it to a value to match the threshold a newbie has to reach before their posts are longer put into the moderation queue. We'll see if that does it.

Van Rijn, if I could I'd buy you a beverage. Thanks for your help.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-27, 04:04 PM
Akismet was just turned on by the build team after the rebuild, and the threshold was set to zero (I suspect that's the default). I've changed it to a value to match the threshold a newbie has to reach before their posts are longer put into the moderation queue. We'll see if that does it.

Van Rijn, if I could I'd buy you a beverage. Thanks for your help.

OK, let's see if this works now.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-27, 04:05 PM
OK, let's see if this works now.

Yes, my posts finally go through without moderator approval!!! :clap:

Swift
2013-Feb-27, 04:07 PM
OMG, there's no stopping him now! :surprised:

Glad to hear and thanks for the report.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-27, 04:14 PM
OMG, there's no stopping him now! :surprised:

Glad to hear and thanks for the report.

Thanks, Swift.

I'm totally feeling the love now!!! :cry:

Swift
2013-Feb-27, 04:18 PM
I'm totally feeling the love now!!! :cry:
That's CQ, one big, loving, totally disfunctional family! I can't wait till we have our own reality show! :D

Tog
2013-Feb-27, 05:08 PM
Just like the Mansons!

schlaugh
2013-Feb-27, 05:13 PM
Real Moderators Of the Internet

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-27, 10:37 PM

Great! I'm glad to see it worked.

Swift
2013-Feb-28, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of currently outstanding issues from the Forum rebuild. Please post if I've forgotten something.

- Are newbies disabled from starting new threads?
- Session timeout currently 900 seconds (15 minutes) - should we increase?
- Reinstalling Tex
- Color/style issues - change link color, alternative style for members
- Tapatalk plug-in needs to be reinstalled?
- Date format is dd-mm-yyyy - leave?

NEOWatcher
2013-Feb-28, 02:31 PM
Being that we will probably have US-centric and Non-US-centric debating the order, is there a way to make the month the 3 character alpha? That way there's no amiguity.
Other than that, it probably doesn't matter the order.

LookingSkyward
2013-Feb-28, 03:31 PM
Being that we will probably have US-centric and Non-US-centric debating the order, is there a way to make the month the 3 character alpha? That way there's no amiguity.
Other than that, it probably doesn't matter the order.

well put!

Grey
2013-Feb-28, 03:50 PM
- Date format is dd-mm-yyyy - leave?I'd prefer the reverse (yyyy-mm-dd), and the ISO-8601 standard (and xkcd) (http://xkcd.com/1179/) support me. ;)

BetaDust
2013-Feb-28, 03:51 PM
The BAUT logo used to link to the Universe Today (http://www.universetoday.com) and BA's (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html) website. Could that be restored?

-- Dennis

ABR.
2013-Feb-28, 03:56 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of currently outstanding issues from the Forum rebuild. Please post if I've forgotten something.

- Reinstalling Tex

There's the button at the bottom of each page that used to send you to the Forum Index but now sends you to the main CosmoQuest page. Maybe I was the only one who found that function useful, but I'm having to do a LOT of scrolling now.

As for the session timeout, mine changed for a very short time the other day. I was logged in for more than 15 minutes even though I was inactive. It reverted to 15 minutes so I'm not sure what happened.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-28, 04:23 PM
- Reinstalling Tex

The tag is still there. The current server configuration may have issues with using an external site to implement a tag, though.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-28, 04:31 PM
Strikethrough is not now working.

caveman1917
2013-Feb-28, 04:41 PM
The tag is still there. The current server configuration may have issues with using an external site to implement a tag, though.

That can't be it, the tex tag passes the url along as a parameter string to the img tag. The tag doesn't "know" that this string represents an external site, it's just the same as any other string to it.

Is the tag activated (set to enabled)?

Copernicus
2013-Feb-28, 04:43 PM

- Reinstalling Tex
I was trying to find an old ATM. "another blackhole proposal", could not find it. I don't know if is the date format, but it would be nice if things were ordered by year month day for retrieval purposes.

ToSeek
2013-Feb-28, 06:14 PM
That can't be it, the tex tag passes the url along as a parameter string to the img tag. The tag doesn't "know" that this string represents an external site, it's just the same as any other string to it.

Is the tag activated (set to enabled)?

Yes, but at some point the server has to go to that external site. I'm assuming that's the hangup since all the other custom tags are working.

EDIT: Suddenly the "" is working!

[tex]\sin A \cos B &= \frac{1}{2}\left[ \sin(A-B)+\sin(A+B) \right]

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-28, 08:26 PM
I just noticed something.

Jeff Root asked about Candy's avatar.

We all remember Candy, don't we.
She was banned a few years ago.

Just for grins and giggles, I looked Candy up in the member list. She is still there, and yes, she is still banned.

However, I did notice that her basic information transfered over intact.

So, unless she is still able to log in and update her info despite being banned, I have to ask the question Why was her basic info saved while most of the active members info was not?

ETA: I hope that this doesn't put me back on the moderator approval list.:rimshot:

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-28, 08:42 PM

A couple of issues.

(1) The big one for me is that in the "cosmoquest" style (but not in the mobile style), screen name, avatar, location, etc. are all in a column to the left of the post. On long posts you just see a blank blue column as you scroll down. It's a waste of screen real estate, and chews up even more if you increase the browser's zoom. It annoys me to increase the zoom for easier reading then see that useless blank column expand as well.

I think this issue might involve the settings mentioned here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/templates_legacy_postbit

Supposedly, the left hand column is the old format, call "legacy postbit." Per the linked page, turning it off will change it.

(2) A separate but minor issue is that it seems the period allowed to edit one's post without a "last edited by" message has been shortened from 20 minutes to (I think) about 5.

Swift
2013-Feb-28, 08:43 PM
So, unless she is still able to log in and update her info despite being banned, I have to ask the question Why was her basic info saved while most of the active members info was not?
Good question. I don't have an answer. It seems also that some people's avatars transferred, but many did not. I barely understand what is going on... maybe someone from the build team will figure it out, but I wouldn't count on it.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Feb-28, 08:54 PM
Good question. I don't have an answer. It seems also that some people's avatars transferred, but many did not. I barely understand what is going on... maybe someone from the build team will figure it out, but I wouldn't count on it.

And here I thought I was the only pessimist on this board.

Should we start a club??? :think:

ToSeek
2013-Feb-28, 09:00 PM
A couple of issues.

(1) The big one for me is that in the "cosmoquest" style (but not in the mobile style), screen name, avatar, location, etc. are all in a column to the left of the post. On long posts you just see a blank blue column as you scroll down. It's a waste of screen real estate, and chews up even more if you increase the browser's zoom. It annoys me to increase the zoom for easier reading then see that useless blank column expand as well.

I think this issue might involve the settings mentioned here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/templates_legacy_postbit

Supposedly, the left hand column is the old format, call "legacy postbit." Per the linked page, turning it off will change it.

I've made the change. Seems like an improvement to me, but I'm open to persuasion otherwise.

Tog
2013-Feb-28, 09:04 PM
+1 vote for the user info across the top of the post.

ArnolddeBruijn
2013-Feb-28, 09:22 PM

- Reinstalling Tex

as a newbie (this is actually my first post) I can mention that tapatalk is not working yet. I havent tried starting a new thread, but I will soon to introduce myself. Apparently I have subscribed to this forum only hours/days after the upgrade and even had to send an message to get my activation email send.

regards, Arnold

Swift
2013-Feb-28, 10:00 PM
+1 vote for the user info across the top of the post.
+2

Swift
2013-Feb-28, 10:03 PM
as a newbie (this is actually my first post) I can mention that tapatalk is not working yet. I havent tried starting a new thread, but I will soon to introduce myself. Apparently I have subscribed to this forum only hours/days after the upgrade and even had to send an message to get my activation email send.

regards, Arnold
Hi Arnold, welcome to CQ. Actually, rather than starting a new thread to introduce yourself, you can just post in this thread (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?29118-NEW-MEMBER-Introduce-yourself-in-this-thread).

Van Rijn
2013-Feb-28, 10:08 PM
I've made the change. Seems like an improvement to me, but I'm open to persuasion otherwise.

Much better. That was the last major concern I had with the rebuild. Thanks.

Gillianren
2013-Feb-28, 10:20 PM
+2

Add my vote.

Jens
2013-Mar-01, 02:57 AM

It's because at the point in time when the button was pressed, our information only existed as a quantum function. When the button was depressed, the wave function collapsed and either your information existed or didn't exist.

Jens
2013-Mar-01, 02:58 AM
And here I thought I was the only pessimist on this board.
Should we start a club??? :think:

No point, really. It wouldn't make anything better.

Van Rijn
2013-Mar-01, 06:18 AM
Just for grins and giggles, I looked Candy up in the member list. She is still there, and yes, she is still banned.

However, I did notice that her basic information transfered over intact.

Maybe I'm missing something, but off hand, I'm not seeing anything more than I've seen on other profiles. There's no avatar, signature, or (as far as I can tell) other personal stuff that's generally missing. Post count and join date seemed to be carried over for everyone. Was there a specific item or two you were wondering about?

AstroRockHunter
2013-Mar-01, 06:22 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but off hand, I'm not seeing anything more than I've seen on other profiles. There's no avatar, signature, or (as far as I can tell) other personal stuff that's generally missing. Post count and join date seemed to be carried over for everyone. Was there a specific item or two you were wondering about?

What stands out is her date of birth. It transfered. Whether she entered other info I cannot say.

My D.O.B. did not transfer, and I know that I entered that.

ETA: I went out and found my avatar and sig., (thanks Van Rijn) and re-entered them. They did not transfer.

EATA: Candy did have an avatar (Google search) and that did not transfer.

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-01, 07:09 PM
Didn't there used to be a button for Strikethrough? Now I just have Bold, Italic, and Underlined.

ToSeek
2013-Mar-01, 07:17 PM
Didn't there used to be a button for Strikethrough? Now I just have Bold, Italic, and Underlined.

You can still do it, there's just no button. Don't think there was before, either, but I wouldn't swear to it.

pzkpfw
2013-Mar-01, 07:36 PM
Strikethrough this is it ... this is it

Jim
2013-Mar-01, 07:36 PM
I don't recall a button, but I do recall entering the coding manually. Since I'm basically lazy and would have used a button rather than enter code, I don't think there was one.

Good idea, though.

ToSeek
2013-Mar-01, 09:09 PM
There is provision in the Custom Tags Manager to include a button, but you have to provide the image yourself.

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-01, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a button -- being HTML (or whatever the codes are) illiterate, I'd have used it and am sure I did. Oh well.

Swift
2013-Mar-01, 09:18 PM
There is provision in the Custom Tags Manager to include a button, but you have to provide the image yourself.
http://cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/crystalproject/Open-Office-Icons/stock_text-strikethrough-16.pnghttp://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/media/editor-strikethrough.gifhttp://www.wyzz.info/wyzzicons/strikethrough.gif
Would one of these work?

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-01, 10:56 PM
Thanks for restoring the post headers to the top of each post,
and the other fixes you've done, tried to do, are trying to do,
or will try to do!

I, too, prefer the yyyy-mm-dd date format. Second choice is
whatever I was seeing previously. I think it was mm-dd-yyyy.

All along I've had trouble with posts being dated "today" or
"yesterday". It is sometimes difficult to determine what day
that refers to, especially when I save posts from a thread
into a single file to reply to later. I have posts from weeks,
months, and even years ago that I intend to reply to when
I get a round tuit.

I'm having to retype this because I somehow closed the browser
when I only intended to close my image viewer while checking
to see whose avatars I have. Previously I either would have
been asked if I really wanted to close the window I was typing
into, or the automatic post saver would have given me a button
to click to retrieve what I had typed. I did just now see the
little yellow popup saying that it was auto-saved, but I don't
see a button to retrieve it. That worked really well for me a
few weeks ago when the browser crashed.

Ahem!! It worked really well just now, too. The power went
out for half a minute, the first time it has done so in months.
(Curiously, just three hours after the gas also briefly went out
for the first time in memory.)

I now have to refresh every page manually. I am ambivalent
about it. Years ago I was unhappy when other sites refreshed
pages automatically, because earlier info would be lost. On
BAUT, though, it was generally a plus, because most changes
are additions, not replacement of existing info.

I edited this post 13 minutes after posting, and got the "Last
edited" comment added. Twenty minutes was better. I think
I'd prefer 25 minutes before the comment is added.

I believe users used to be indicated as online for one hour
after the last activity. That seems good.

Thirty minutes before being logged off for inactivity seems
about right to me. It can often take me more than 25 minutes
to read a full page of 30 posts.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Van Rijn
2013-Mar-01, 11:39 PM
Th
I, too, prefer the yyyy-mm-dd date format. Second choice is
whatever I was seeing previously. I think it was mm-dd-yyyy.

YYYY-MM-DD is my preference as well. I use that whenever I'm doing anything that requires dates to sort properly, and I've never seen anyone do YYYY-DD-MM, so if I see year first, it's pretty clear it's going to be in year, month, day format.

Having said that, it isn't any big deal to me if instead it is mm-dd-yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy - either way it's not hard to get used to.

Though . . . if it is going to be month-day-year or day-month-year, if possible I'd suggest having the month spelled out. That way it will be easier to identify quickly.

Van Rijn
2013-Mar-01, 11:44 PM
What stands out is her date of birth. It transfered. Whether she entered other info I cannot say.

My D.O.B. did not transfer, and I know that I entered that.

Interesting. I didn't have my DOB to start, so that isn't something I looked at.

ToSeek
2013-Mar-02, 12:14 AM
http://cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/crystalproject/Open-Office-Icons/stock_text-strikethrough-16.pnghttp://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/media/editor-strikethrough.gifhttp://www.wyzz.info/wyzzicons/strikethrough.gif
Would one of these work?

It accepted it. Now I need to figure out how to tell it to put the button in the toolbar.

caveman1917
2013-Mar-02, 12:16 AM
Yes, but at some point the server has to go to that external site.

True, but it does that within the img tag so if that were the problem the img tag wouldn't have been working either, but it did.

Sardonicone
2013-Mar-02, 12:57 AM
Late to the party, my avatar and signature never came back after the merge - so I suppose all is well.

If there is a way to let users decide how they want to see the date format - I'd be all for that. I prefer mm/dd/yyyy myself.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-02, 06:45 AM
I have found that the date format previously was
dd-Month-yyyy. That would be acceptable to me.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Van Rijn
2013-Mar-02, 07:01 AM
Late to the party, my avatar and signature never came back after the merge - so I suppose all is well.

Do you want them back? If you have trouble finding them (see the other threads in this section on how to search for them), let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-02, 07:39 AM
I see that the button for superscripts does not have an image.
The button is just a white space.

Also, the alt text for the superscript button and the new
strikethrough button are nonstandard, compared to the
text for the other buttons.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Swift
2013-Mar-02, 02:38 PM
Also, the alt text for the superscript button and the new
strikethrough button are nonstandard, compared to the
text for the other buttons.
Frankly, non-standard buttons are the least of our problems, since ToSeek and I are basically ad-hocking this without help from the build team. When I have a chance I'll try to find a button for superscripts and see if I can figure out how to install it.

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-02, 04:56 PM
...without help from the build team.

Based on the problems with the "upgrade", perhaps that's a good thing!

I'm seeing the Strikethrough button in "advanced" mode but not "quick" mode. Better than nothing!

Swift
2013-Mar-02, 07:37 PM
Based on the problems with the "upgrade", perhaps that's a good thing!

I'm seeing the Strikethrough button in "advanced" mode but not "quick" mode. Better than nothing!
That's true of lots of things. The "quick" mode has less space to display things.

caveman1917
2013-Mar-03, 03:07 AM
The top bar is not right-aligned correctly, it goes a bit more to the right than the rest of the forum. I've just noticed that there's a horizontal scroll bar now for me which wasn't there before.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Mar-05, 04:59 PM
The scroll bar is there because the space between the "Donate" button and the "spam social sites" buttons is too large.

It probably didn't get reduced when the donate button was put in.

Incidentally, am I the only one to smile at the unintended incongruity of the thread title?

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-05, 05:43 PM
Incidentally, am I the only one to smile at the unintended incongruity of the thread title?

Nope, I've been grinning at that for a couple of weeks now. Not grinning about the reason for it, however.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Mar-05, 06:10 PM
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but when someone first comes to the site (as a guest, not logging in) the time of the last post in the thread list is now CST (U.S.). Before the transfer, it was UTC.

Is this going to remain or will it be switched back?

ToSeek
2013-Mar-05, 06:55 PM
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but when someone first comes to the site (as a guest, not logging in) the time of the last post in the thread list is now CST (U.S.). Before the transfer, it was UTC.

Is this going to remain or will it be switched back?

Given that we're an astronomy site, I suppose we should stick with GMT. Done.

Gillianren
2013-Mar-05, 07:03 PM
My ignore list appears to be back, so that's something.

Swift
2013-Mar-05, 07:22 PM
My ignore list appears to be back, so that's something.
That's kind of weird/interesting. There was nothing consciously done by myself or ToSeek (as far as he's said). I guess it is possible something else we changed impacted that. It is possible that some indexing running in background finally completed (after two weeks?). I guess the build team might have done something and didn't let us know yet. Or it could just be the random nature of the Universe.

caveman1917
2013-Mar-05, 07:24 PM
Or it could just be the random nature of the Universe.

Well it seemed to work for the tex tag too :)

Swift
2013-Mar-05, 07:27 PM
Well it seemed to work for the tex tag too :)
And the smilies, which were also weird early on and got "better".

Noclevername
2013-Mar-05, 08:36 PM

I had mocked it (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?115699-We-don-t-need-no-stinkin-Untrue-Facts!-(!!!)&p=2113439#post2113439) on Fun & Games. But not with a smile, or at least not a happy one.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-06, 01:06 AM
I'm not sure whether this changed in the recent tumult, or
has been so since the merger early last year, but if anything
can, might, or should be taken as an insult to the forum,
just look at the logo at the top of the page.

KnowTheCosmos, please look at that logo right now.
Note the time on your clock, and then look at the logo.
When you think you have looked at it for five minutes.
If you haven't looked at it for at least five minutes, keep
on looking at it. I want you to contemplate that logo for
at least five full minutes. Observe it. Think about it.

Then tell us what you saw.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Tobin Dax
2013-Mar-06, 03:59 AM
Care to share with the rest of the class, Jeff?

Jens
2013-Mar-06, 06:13 AM
Maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone have an idea when the Tapatalk plug-in will be put in? I'm sort of looking forward to being able to use it again.

slang
2013-Mar-06, 06:17 AM
Maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone have an idea when the Tapatalk plug-in will be put in? I'm sort of looking forward to being able to use it again.

Given that KtC was an enthousiastic user of the plugin, I'm sure he will re-install it as soon as he has some time available.

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-07, 06:14 PM
This was originally posted by Swift in another thread:

... past my bedtime and was trying to find another thumb to stick into the leaking dike of CQ...

I think I've reached my limit of having everything I do here being second guessed by all sides, with essentially no support from above. Maybe its time for someone else to deal with it for a while...

Bold added by me. This is the real problem. The new owners have bitten off way more than they can chew, and are not even attempting to chew it. It's been left to former BAUT mods to try to fix the resulting problems. KnowTheCosmos hasn't responded to anythng for a while, as far as I know.

The "upgrade" was a complete mess. Anyone know Pamela Gay's e-mail address?

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-07, 11:33 PM
Care to share with the rest of the class, Jeff?
I was assuming that KnowTheCosmos would read my
post and respond accordingly. I'm going to continue to
assume that for at least a few days. If it isn't instantly
obvious, I think the answer should become clear by doing
as I suggested, contemplating the logo for five minutes.
Somehow I either didn't notice right away, myself, even
though it is perfectly obvious, or I noticed but just got
used to seeing it and put it out of my mind. Also, as I
said, I'm not sure if the logo recently changed, or if it
has been like that since the merger.

I'd like KnowTheCosmos to say what is wrong with it.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

mantiss
2013-Mar-08, 03:40 AM
As asked on a post on page 3 of this thread, what about RSS feeds? I used to RSS the forums for new posts and reach from there and now that feature has gone into oblivion. Should I play a requiem for those or anything? Thank you.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Mar-08, 11:22 AM
I was assuming that KnowTheCosmos would read my
post and respond accordingly. I'm going to continue to
assume that for at least a few days. If it isn't instantly
obvious, I think the answer should become clear by doing
as I suggested, contemplating the logo for five minutes.
Is it the very bad scaling of the old logo which mangles the text horribly?

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-08, 12:25 PM
Is it the very bad scaling of the old logo which mangles
the text horribly?
Yes. Basically, the banner has been made so tiny that
I can't find acceptable words to describe it. It is a
blatant insult to BAUT, to the people who came up with
the elements of the banner, and to the person who did
the final artwork.

Yes, the floggings will continue until morale improves!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-08, 12:29 PM
The box that drops down (or pops up?) when you click
on a poster's name at the top of a post is in a layer
underneath any quote near the top of that post, so
that not all of the content of the box can be seen.
I'd guess that the priority of the quotes needs to
be lowered.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-08, 12:57 PM
Are you talking about the hover text? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are talking about because I see no issue.
If it is, then the layering is part of the browser. It can be annoying on a menu, but goes away rather quickly (at least on mine).

slang
2013-Mar-08, 12:57 PM
I'd guess that the priority of the quotes needs to
be lowered.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Not in my browsers: Firefox 19.0, IE 9.0, Chrome Version 24.0.1312.71, and even Safari 5.1.7 for Windows.

As asked on a post on page 3 of this thread, what about RSS feeds? I used to RSS the forums for new posts and reach from there and now that feature has gone into oblivion. Should I play a requiem for those or anything? Thank you.

Brought to the attention of the admins.

Solfe
2013-Mar-08, 01:51 PM

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Those two different styles go together like peanut butter and paint remover.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-08, 06:34 PM
I'm using Internet Explorer 8. It was bundled with Windows 7
and I haven't yet got around to installing IE 9... The problem
with the drop-down box may be just a problem in IE 8, but is
new. I haven't seen it before.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-08, 07:41 PM
I'm using Internet Explorer 8.
So am I. I still don't see a problem other than the hover text which goes away as soon as I move the cursor.

Jim
2013-Mar-08, 08:13 PM
So am I. I still don't see a problem other than the hover text which goes away as soon as I move the cursor.

Also using IE8. And also seeing the "hover box" saying "Member is online now" over the menu box, but the hover box goes away in 1-2 seconds or when I move the cursor.

Noclevername
2013-Mar-08, 08:16 PM
CosmoQuest X FORUMS, home of the unreadable tiny blur :whistle:

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-08, 08:34 PM
Are you clicking on the poster's name? Try clicking on
NEOWatcher's name in post #207. He currently doesn't
have an avatar, so the quote at the beginning of his post
is up higher than similar quotes in posts with avatars.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-08, 08:40 PM
Here's what I see (with the temporary hover text):

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-08, 09:39 PM

Yeah. Not an intentional insult I'm sure, but kind of insulting and thoughtless just the same.

And just to be clear: Phil Plait and Fraser Cain are at least as much to blame for this fiasco as CQ, if not more so. Especially Phil. I don't even comment on his blog any more since he ruined it by going to Slate.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-09, 02:57 AM
Maybe I disabled something in my Internet Options that is
needed to put the drop-down box at the right level. That
would probably be a pretty unusual config. I'll see how it
goes after I reset everything, which I plan to do sometime
soon.

Thanks to whoever set up the new date format!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

ToSeek
2013-Mar-09, 03:22 AM
Thanks to whoever set up the new date format!

That turned out to be a pretty easy settings change.

speedfreek
2013-Mar-09, 05:22 PM
Yes. Basically, the banner has been made so tiny that
I can't find acceptable words to describe it. It is a
blatant insult to BAUT, to the people who came up with
the elements of the banner, and to the person who did
the final artwork.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Is the banner below any better? The admins here are free to use it if they want. It has the same image dimensions as the current banner. I can make adjustments if necessary. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/speedfreek/forum%20images/CQBAUTbanner2_zps541cd42a.png

tusenfem
2013-Mar-09, 06:27 PM
I think we (i.e. the build team) should have a real quality version of that image, as it was always prominently displayed in the old BAUT.

speedfreek
2013-Mar-09, 06:37 PM
The version I used is a lot better quality than the one in the current banner, and is a little larger than it is shown in my linked banner "replacement". But it is by no means "full quality". Hopefully someone somewhere has a better version.

Here is the best I could find
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/speedfreek/forum%20images/BAUT-banner_zpsb91f3006.png

ETA: Ahh, with some deft usage of the wayback machine I managed to find the original full sized banner! See here (http://web.archive.org/web/20100206065315/http://www.bautforum.com/). It is made up of 3 parts, which I stitched together into the below image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/speedfreek/BAUTLOGO_zps8294d984.png

I can supply the 3 separate parts if required.

Arneb
2013-Mar-09, 08:18 PM
Oh dear. You know, I SO much like this version of the board better than this one. :sick:

Infinity Watcher
2013-Mar-09, 10:15 PM

Shouldn't that be unreadable *astronomically* tiny blur?

...I'll get my coat...

Solfe
2013-Mar-10, 03:31 AM
The version I used is a lot better quality than the one in the current banner, and is a little larger than it is shown in my linked banner "replacement". But it is by no means "full quality". Hopefully someone somewhere has a better version.

Here is the best I could find
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/speedfreek/forum%20images/BAUT-banner_zpsb91f3006.png

ETA: Ahh, with some deft usage of the wayback machine I managed to find the original full sized banner! See here (http://web.archive.org/web/20100206065315/http://www.bautforum.com/). It is made up of 3 parts, which I stitched together into the below image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/speedfreek/BAUTLOGO_zps8294d984.png

I can supply the 3 separate parts if required.

Yeah, I am just going to print that out and tape it to the top of my monitor. :)

Ara Pacis
2013-Mar-10, 07:29 PM
"Forum Build Complete!"

Every time I see that I think to myself that Pamela is sitting somewhere muttering:

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Cosmoquest!"

Noclevername
2013-Mar-10, 07:50 PM

:clap:

Ara Pacis
2013-Mar-14, 05:38 AM
I noticed that there's a new section called "Cosmoquest Collaborators". Besides sounding reminiscent of people who are enemies of truth and freedom and secretly worked with the enemy in WWII France, I wonder why all of the old BAUT fora are not under that heading (except maybe the admin and feedback). I mean, it's not like the good Doctor wants people to look at Cosmoquest and see all the history and think to themselves, oh this must be a place with a lot of history, I think I'll grant them some money, because that would be, ya know, kinda false and science is about truth, and no distinguished person of science would stoop that low to gain money and distinction and power, because eh... Frankly, that would be a kinda Vichy thing to do. I mean the idea itself is just laughable. Hehe heh, heh... heh. Ahem. Hmm.[/Channeling Jon Stewart]

ToSeek
2013-Mar-14, 02:58 PM
I noticed that there's a new section called "Cosmoquest Collaborators".

It's not actually new - it was called "Beloved Content" before the latest re-org. And, yes, it could use a better name. Suggestions are welcome.

Solfe
2013-Mar-14, 03:58 PM
How about "Blog, News and Cast". My first move is 150% better than the old names. I would think that the next suggestion will be 150% better than mine. :)

Now let me ask a dumb question. Why doesn't that section contain a feed of the CQ blog?

The CQ blog needs some layout fixin's. There is a Featured story box and the read more button/link is hanging out between the bottom edge of that box and the top of the next box.

galacsi
2013-Mar-14, 04:24 PM
It's not actually new - it was called "Beloved Content" before the latest re-org. And, yes, it could use a better name. Suggestions are welcome.

As a french I don't care because WWII "collaborateurs" were and are stiill known as "Collabos". And In my previous company we were not workers ("employés" ) but "collaborateurs" ! :D Workers must be a subversive word. May be communist ? :rolleyes:

AstroRockHunter
2013-Mar-14, 08:19 PM
"Forum Build Complete!"

Every time I see that I think to myself that Pamela is sitting somewhere muttering:

Using my best Mator (Larry the cable guy) voice 'That's funny right there!'

Ara Pacis
2013-Mar-14, 11:20 PM
*takes a bow*

BigDon
2013-Mar-15, 12:22 AM
Not to be all smart alecky or anything...

but the title of the thread and Seth Brundle not being alone in his nifty teleportation device elicited the same galvanic skin response.

And I'm getting that same feeling about the end result too.

mantiss
2013-Apr-02, 06:37 PM
Just as an aside, I notice the new fancy smancy menubar on top with twitter and facebook icons as well as RSS, but thos are completely useless to me, I cannot click, in fact they show up as just images, anything wrong with my setup? I tried with IE9, FF (whatever current verions they're at, 19 or 20.

Any ideas?

grapes
2013-Apr-02, 06:59 PM
So far as I know, they're just advertisements.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-03, 02:54 PM
Not only are those icons non-functional, they're mislocated so that the menu bar at the top is wider than the rest of the page, causing it to have a scroll bar at the bottom.

Perhaps a mod could change the thread title, since the "rebuild" is not, and apparently never will be, "complete".

Jeff Root
2013-Apr-03, 03:44 PM
What are the two icons at each end? I recognize the Twitter,
Facebook, and RSS icons (even if I don't know exactly what
those things are), but the black box with white "plus" sign
and the red/white rectangle are unfamiliar.

How did those things even get there? Were they added by
default by the vBulletin install?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-03, 04:30 PM
Going to the main CQ page, where the icons are functional, I find that the one on the left is for Google+ and the one on the right is some "meetup" thingy.

Ara Pacis
2013-Apr-11, 08:45 AM
Who uses RSS? That's so 2005.

Solfe
2013-Apr-11, 12:13 PM
Meetup is actually kind of cool, in a pre-Google+ sort of way. The local D&D clubs use it for their scheduled weekly events and UBCon uses it for the twice-a-year conventions. Plus they cross link with other area Meetup groups, so I hear about events in PA and central NY too.

It has great calendar, RSVP and polling features. So you can send out a invite with an RSVP function that also directs users to a link where they can talk about which thing they are going to participate in. Very handy when you have an RPG, Card Games and Board Games all in one night. You can get a good headcount right away.

Gillianren
2013-Apr-11, 09:33 PM
Provided everyone actually RSVPs. [Insert grumble here.]

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-11, 11:38 PM
I see the thread title has changed. I did a little whining to the mods today, apparently the squeaky catapult does get the grease! I'm also told that there's some sort of management get-together happening. Hopefully some good will result.

Jeff Root
2013-Apr-12, 12:25 AM
The squeaky mouse gets the catapult.

Sorry, just saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail all the way
through for the first time. Flying attack bunny, flying cows,
and the like.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

caveman1917
2013-Apr-12, 01:22 AM
The squeaky mouse gets the catapult.

But what kind of swallow could have carried the catapult?

Jeff Root
2013-Apr-12, 03:19 AM
Followup:

The problem that I reported in post #202 regarding the box that
drops down (or pops up?) when you click on a poster's name at the
top of a post is no longer happening after reinstalling Windows.

Question:

Beginning with the recent rebuild of CosmoQuest, I now have to
manually refresh every page that I have previously visited and is
still in my cache. Nobody else has mentioned this change, so I'm
guessing that almost everyone else has their browser refresh all
pages every visit by default. Is that right? I like both features:
The ability to view the old version if it is in my cache, because
info sometimes disappears from a page so refreshing that page
makes the info go away forever; and on the other hand, not
having to manually refresh pages here, I guess because info
rarely disappears.

Is there any good reason not to revert to how it was before,
when pages were always automatically refreshed at each visit?
I think I'd find that more convenient almost all the time, but I
don't know how anyone else feels about it or whether there are
drawbacks I don't know of. Note that I'm asking about a change
at the CosmoQuest end, not my end.

Request:

Change the date stamp from saying "Yesterday" and "Today" to
just showing the date. This is a nuisance exacerbated by the
lack of automatic page refresh. I never know what day is meant
by "Yesterday" or "Today". It can mean a day three weeks ago
if it has been three weeks since I visited that page.

Request:

Increase the delay before the "Last edited by" line shows up
from one minute to 25 minutes. It was 20 minutes before the
rebuild, and that didn't seem quite long enough.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Noclevername
2013-Apr-13, 01:07 AM
A new problem has popped up. No pics, no avatars, no emoticons, no javascript buttons, and the back buttons are showing up as x-ed out.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-13, 02:37 PM
Looks ok now. Well, other than the ugly colors, invisible links, horizontal scroll bar, and all that!

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon. It was ok for a while but then when I went back to the main page it was all wonky as you describe. But now this page is ok. Strange.

Gillianren
2013-Apr-13, 02:55 PM
I'm still not seeing various buttons, just where they ought to be.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-13, 04:58 PM
Yep, borked again.

It's kind of sad. I could actually get interested in working some of CQ's citizen science projects, but after all this mess....

AstroRockHunter
2013-Apr-13, 08:01 PM
And I thought it was just me.

So, I'm going to make a premature request. When the
... No pics, no avatars, no emoticons, no javascript buttons, and the back buttons are showing up as x-ed out ... get fixed, will someone please explain what happened?

Arneb
2013-Apr-13, 08:02 PM
Yep, borked again.

It's kind of sad. I could actually get interested in working some of CQ's citizen science projects, but after all this mess....

Indeed. Considering that the continued existence of the BAUT is for its membership to as advertisement mass for a particular outreach project, it is quite embarassing that the forum creates so much bad publicity among the very people the outreach project should be interested in engaging.

This is just sad. I once felt at home here.

spjung
2013-Apr-13, 09:36 PM
A new problem has popped up. No pics, no avatars, no emoticons, no javascript buttons, and the back buttons are showing up as x-ed out.
I'm seeing this too. I'm using Safari 5.1.8 on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-13, 10:57 PM
Looking at what's returned when trying to open one of the broken images (url: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest_data/forum_images/images/statusicon/user-online.png) shows this:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>489E917F614FB821</RequestId>
<HostId>
227tRmBO5O9iFb61PrATaCNdcmuEHfPvAks2ZRlh2LK/PyflSPzlmx6XnIIhGp2X
</HostId>
</Error>

Looks like it might be a configuration error which points the images to the wrong base URL's, this might be just within what admin rights allow without requiring a Czar.

Those that do work start with "http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/" while those that fail start with "https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest_data/forum_images/images/"

Just read the "Board slowness thread", it looks like it's Cory's fault the images have been moved to somewhere that won't send them.

Ara Pacis
2013-Apr-14, 01:26 AM
Just read the "Board slowness thread", it looks like it's Cory's fault the images have been moved to somewhere that won't send them.

Well, at least the board is useable. It's just harder to tell where you're going and where you've been.