PDA

View Full Version : Tito Wants to Send Married Couple on Mars Flyby Mission

Fraser
2013-Feb-27, 06:50 PM
Millionaire space tourist Dennis Tito announced his plans for funding a commercial mission to Mars, and the mission will send two professional crew members – one man and one woman who will likely be a married couple – flying as private citizens on a “fast, free-return” mission, passing within 100 miles of Mars before swinging [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/100339/tito-wants-to-send-married-couple-on-mars-flyby-mission/)

schlaugh
2013-Feb-27, 08:25 PM
Poynter said it would be important for the two astronauts to be married, to provide a “backbone of support for the crew psychologically.

“Imagine, it’s a really long road trip and you’re jammed into an RV and you can’t get out,” Poynter said. “There’s no microgravity … all you have to eat for over 500 days are 3,000 lbs of dehydrated food that they rehydrate with the same water over and over that will be recycled,” adding that the two crew will need the proven ability to be with each other for the long term.

Sounds like a recipe for a mid-flight divorce.

It also sounds like a dangerous stunt intended to generate publicity and that's about all.

Buttercup
2013-Feb-27, 09:25 PM
They'd have to screen such a couple very carefully. Especially in our ME-ME-ME society where selfishness and pettiness prevails (and lands the terminally immature into divorce court yet again).

p.s.: I'm married 1 time for 20 years on March 17. So yes, I'm bold enough to say that.

LoneTree1941
2013-Mar-02, 06:31 AM
I if they go I believe they'll make it back; the most difficult or the riskiiest part of the mission would be an earth reentry more than eighty percent faster than that for the space shuttle or a capsule from the ISS.

I believe a stable marriage is a good qualifier because with any kind of effective screening they'll have all their personal interactions worked out and sexual tensions will be moot as a distraction.

If they go at the planned January 5, 2018 date and the 223-day travel time is accurate, then 21August18 would be the projected date for rendezvous with Mars. Mars will be 38.8 million miles and 3.5 light minutes from earth on that date. An answer to any radio communication would require 7 minutes for responses to any back and forth commentary. That small time would seem to be almost deliciously simultaneous.

A flyby/slinglshot course would perhaps only take a couple hours after the 228 days out and then the return flight would be the new normal for 273 days. IMO, after all that time of anticipation laced with boredom, there might be conveyed a deep sense of the "all things done syndrome" particularly with the even longer trip back. That kind of psychological reaction sometimes befalls people who accomplish that one great thing they've been yearning for; they are left with a great sense of loss, a kind of postpartum malaise which sometimes even results in suicide.

Staiduk
2013-Mar-02, 01:16 PM
I dunno...
A married couple in a space capsule? It could be a good idea, or it could be a disaster.
If I were designing the flight; I'd select two heterosexual men or women; consummate professionals - two adults who have worked and trained beside one another for years. Just take the 'sex' aspect out of the equation entirely. After all - is a capsule designed for two adults prepared to deal with two adults and a baby?

No - two mature men or women; professional to the 'n'th degree - in other words; Astronauts. Let's forget about the sex aspect entirely; it's easy enough. If anyone starts to get urges; Ground Control could always transmit nude pictures of Phyllis Diller. :D

Solfe
2013-Mar-02, 02:38 PM
My wife won't go, so I'd have to take someone else's wife. On that level, it does seem like the perfect get away plan. :)

swampyankee
2013-Mar-02, 03:14 PM
My wife won't go, so I'd have to take someone else's wife. On that level, it does seem like the perfect get away plan. :)

I don't know if it would save any space or weight, because you'd need to send a 4-room apartment: bedroom, kitchen, dining room, and man cave. Send two guys, and you don't need the dining room, and you could replace the bedroom by a second man cave.

Would need a lot of space for all the dirty laundry and used pizza boxes, though.

Less frivolously, the entire flyby "plan" (it's not a plan until he's got realistic budget numbers, a realistic schedule, and a laundry list of the hardware needed, both in space and to support his human cargo from the ground) is nothing but a stunt. While stunts were somewhat relevant to the early history of aviation (the last big one was Rutan's Voyager, and its unrefueled circumnavigation of Earth), the early stunts, like Louis Blériot's flight across the English Channel were within the demonstrated technology of the time. Indeed, two of Blériot's competitors for the prize were using a sort-of production airplanes, an Antoinette IV and a Voisin.

Tog
2013-Mar-02, 03:18 PM
This is Solfe's fault. And maybe that little bit in my head that doesn't get out s often as it should.

Do you like Martian Caldera, and skimming past off-world plains?
If you're not into running, if TV gives you pains.
If privacy's not a big deal, meet me down at the Cape.
I've a rocket with two seats, write to me, and escape.

LoneTree1941
2013-Mar-03, 05:18 PM
I dunno...
A married couple in a space capsule? It could be a good idea, or it could be a disaster.
If I were designing the flight; I'd select two heterosexual men or women; consummate professionals - two adults who have worked and trained beside one another for years. Just take the 'sex' aspect out of the equation entirely. After all - is a capsule designed for two adults prepared to deal with two adults and a baby?

No - two mature men or women; professional to the 'n'th degree - in other words; Astronauts. Let's forget about the sex aspect entirely; it's easy enough. If anyone starts to get urges; Ground Control could always transmit nude pictures of Phyllis Diller. :D

That part about "two adults and a baby" completely baffles me; If they were truly well adjusted adults then a pregnancy would be totally avoidable. And they would have proved they could get along with each other in close proximity for years by their marital record. A background check (the kind we get for Top Secret security clearances) would reveal aberrant behavior and infidelities that might become an issue during the trip.

Solfe
2013-Mar-03, 08:22 PM
I think he proposed a husband and wife team in their 50's. I can see a couple of advantages to that:

Older people have less time to develop long term, late life health issues.
You aren't protecting their reproductive future.
People are less likely to try and have children at that age.

Maybe those items enable you take more risks with radiation.

swampyankee
2013-Mar-03, 09:36 PM
A background check (the kind we get for Top Secret security clearances) would reveal aberrant behavior and infidelities that might become an issue during the trip.

That's got a very high failure rate. Google "Aldrich Ames" and "Robert Hanson." You could also throw in Jonathon Pollard and the Walkers.

publiusr
2013-Mar-03, 09:45 PM
Better to send a person with no family who is very pro-spaceflight. If there is a problem, you don't have a lifetime/Hallmark movie tragedy playing out.

LoneTree1941
2013-Mar-04, 02:19 AM
That's got a very high failure rate. Google "Aldrich Ames" and "Robert Hanson." You could also through in Jonathon Pollard and the Walkers.

FYI; they passed their background checks, got clearances, then sold out after gaining access. If they had had instances of dishonesty in their records their clearances wouldn't have been granted

In the case of a hypothetical married couple, certainly records checks would be made, and friends and associates interviewed, in part to check accuracy of or inconsistencies in their applications. Nosy neighbors, past employers are interviewed. It's a federal crime to "lie" to a federal officer.

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-04, 04:03 PM
Better to send a person with no family who is very pro-spaceflight. If there is a problem, you don't have a lifetime/Hallmark movie tragedy playing out.
But; that would go against what Tito is planning.

Say all you want about the "advantages" of sending a married couple. Much of it is likely true, but I think it boils down to this statement:

But media rights will be a big part of funding, Tito said. “I envision Dr. Phil talking to the husband-wife crew about marital problems on way to Mars,” he said.
I don't know what would be more of a public draw than a married couple. (at least without the expectation of an intended rivalry)

schlaugh
2013-Mar-04, 07:12 PM
So long as one of the weddednauts is a Kardashian, the ratings will go off the charts.:rolleyes:

Solfe
2013-Mar-05, 02:14 AM
So long as one of the weddednauts is a Kardashian, the ratings will go off the charts.:rolleyes:

I'd watch that. Of course, I only give it three episodes. :)

JustAFriend
2013-Mar-05, 09:08 PM
I've been married for nearly 40 years, but the thought of spending 500+ days together in a
small room sounds like a recipe for retrieving the capsule empty with an open airlock....

Swift
2013-Mar-05, 09:33 PM
OMG, that's brilliant. And if they made it a one-way trip, I'd help pay for it! :D

Solfe
2013-Mar-06, 09:06 PM
From today's Ellen show: She lists all the negatives, 500+ days, no shower, one room smaller than an RV, etc. the says "It sounds better than a Caravel Cruise."

swampyankee
2013-Mar-07, 12:21 AM
I dunno...

Professionals -- even fertile heterosexual couples -- in such an environment wouldn't have accidental pregnancies. There are quite a few birth control methods that are nearly 100% reliable, such as oral contraceptives, implants, vasectomy, and tubal ligation. The failures of oral contraceptives are almost entirely user error. Tito could easily select out people who don't have a history of using birth control.

Solfe
2013-Mar-07, 12:31 AM
Professionals -- even fertile heterosexual couples -- in such an environment wouldn't have accidental pregnancies. There are quite a few birth control methods that are nearly 100% reliable, such as oral contraceptives, implants, vasectomy, and tubal ligation. The failures of oral contraceptives are almost entirely user error. Tito could easily select out people who don't have a history of using birth control.

"From the following list of choices, select four..." That would pretty much cover that one.