PDA

View Full Version : Beyond sleepwalking

Buttercup
2013-Feb-28, 10:14 PM
Today I transcribed a report wherein a lady has taken baths and showered while sleeping. :o She then "awakens, confused."

That's really dangerous...taking a bath while sleeping??

I've heard about strange activities by sleepwalkers, but this tops it.

Does anyone here have a history of sleepwalking? Or family, etc., accounts you'd like to share?

Noclevername
2013-Mar-01, 12:07 AM
I had a college roomate who sleepwalked in his birthday suit. Wandered off to the bathroom in his sleep, too; at least that's what his semi-coherent mumbling indicated he was headed. I hope that's where he ended up.

redshifter
2013-Mar-01, 01:55 AM
I've read accounts where users of sleep meds (Ambien, etc) will get up and make themselves a nice meal in their sleep, and have even gained weight because of it! Less funny: the folks who drive while in sleep-med induced sleep.

publius
2013-Mar-01, 03:44 AM
They've had my father on Ambien for several years and he's had some experiences with it. He makes me mad because he doesn't believe it when we've told him what he does. My mother has called me over several times when was sick or acting weird. He gets a weird, lights-are-on-but-nobody's-home. His eyes look sort of empty. And he denies he does that, saying we just exaggerate. I'm going to a get video camera and try to film him one of these times and prove it to him, but OTOH, I just suspect he may not want to admit it to himself.

One night, a couple of years ago, he got to hallucinating. He had a bad chest cold and had taken something with dextromethorphan and something else. And he got to hallucinating, seeing all sorts of things that weren't there, talking crazy and all that. Scared me and my poor mother was really scared. We called his doc, who happened to be on call that night and not one of his partners, and he decided it was the DM and whatever else interacting with the Ambien, although I don't think there's any warnings about the two. Maybe it was the other thing I can't remember. But he said don't let him ever take anything with DM in it again. He may be sensitive to it, and the Ambien just amplified it.

At any rate, as usual, he couldn't remember (or claims he couldn't) any of that episode and doesn't believe us. He was asking me why a fish was swimming in the mirror over the mantle, as well as many other memorable things.

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-01, 06:06 AM
I was told by my mother that I sleepwalked once, when I was
five. Late at night, I went downstairs and got my shoes, which
I knew I had left in the sunroom.

I saw my sister sleepwalk once. We had been walking rapidly
around and around in a circle in the square upstairs hallway
just before bedtime. Maybe half an hour later I saw her come
out of her room, walk around in a circle a couple of times, and
go back to bed. I could tell that she wasn't aware of me.
I wonder what she would have done if I'd been in her path.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jens
2013-Mar-01, 07:15 AM

Well, if the person is sufficiently lucid to make a bath, I would assume they'd be capable of taking it pretty safely!

One interesting thing that has to do with sleepwalking, tangentially: has anyone ever gotten sleep paralysis? In Japanese they call it "kamishibari," and believe that spirits are holding you down. It's a sensation where you are still awake but are paralyzed, and it can be frightening. I think it happened to me once, but I think some people get it regularly.

What is fascinating is that from what I understand, it's a fairly normal thing. What happens is, when we sleep we do things in our dreams, and it's not that safe to actually do them, so apparently our brain disconnects some parts of the motor system, so that things that our brains command don't get transmitted tot he body. So when you get sleep paralysis, apparently the brain has made that disconnect a bit too early. So it's not a dangerous situation. And I think that sleepwalking is the opposite, when the disconnect isn't made on time.

Jens
2013-Mar-01, 07:17 AM
At any rate, as usual, he couldn't remember (or claims he couldn't) any of that episode and doesn't believe us. He was asking me why a fish was swimming in the mirror over the mantle, as well as many other memorable things.

I think it's completely normal that he can't remember. If he could remember, he probably wouldn't be doing it in the first place! But about not wanting to admit it, that's a bit strange I agree. Is he aware that people sleepwalking don't remember?

Jeff Root
2013-Mar-01, 07:55 AM
It is common for me to have more and more difficulty
moving in my dreams in the last minute or two before
I wake. In those cases, I often dream that I've become
completely unable to move, panic, and wake up. I'm
generally surprised to find that my hand isn't trapped
under my body, but lying free, in a completely different
position from what I thought it was in the dream.

The first morning after I began taking a serotonin
re-uptake inhibitor, I had a waking dream, which was
pretty neat. I woke up but continued to dream for
about two more minutes, during which time my vision
must have been turned off.

On the other hand, there have been several times that I
dreamed I was looking at some object, and when I woke
I discovered I was actually seeing light coming in around
the edge of the window drape. Typically I see the vertical
edge of the drape as a horizontal feature of the object in
my dream, and the horizontal edge as vertical -- because
my head is on its side.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Noclevername
2013-Mar-01, 08:08 AM
I think it's completely normal that he can't remember. If he could remember, he probably wouldn't be doing it in the first place! But about not wanting to admit it, that's a bit strange I agree. Is he aware that people sleepwalking don't remember?

It was the same with my former roomate, he denied it happened at all. But it wasn't a one-time thing, he did it on thre separate occasions that I know of.

Tog
2013-Mar-01, 08:32 AM
I did it once that I know of. I was in the army, in Basic. If I laid on my bed facing the ceiling, then looked down toward my feet, I saw a blank wall. Mine was right on the end. If I looked the opposite direction I saw a row of 6 or 7 bunk beds which were row 3 of 4.

The hallway between the sleeping areas and the bathrooms had a mascot painted on it, and that was the only thing on the otherwise white walls. I couldn't see it from where my head normally was, so every wall I saw was white.

One day I woke up, looked over, and saw a huge painted figure. I looked down at my feet and there was a row of beds, not the wall that should have been there. It took me a while to realize that I was in the right room, I was just in bed backwards. I talked to the fireguards and it seems I used the bathroom about 1:30 that morning. I have no memory of it.

My first night there, I ran into a sleepwalker. He was moving around with his blanket telling me he was looking for the person that dropped their beach towel.

The best natural sleepwalking story I heard came from a Drill Sgt. When he was in basic, his barracks was one long room with single beds down each wall. This made the room about 30 yards long. He was up by the door at one end when a "A skinny, little black guy came up to the door, turned and faced the far wall and started rocking back and forth on his feet, acting like he was holding a rake or something." The Sgt asked him what he was doing, and the guy said "I make this height, I set a new state record." The his shoulders dipped. The Sgt made a grab for him, but it was too late. The guy ran the length of the floor, planted the imaginary pole vault pole, and slammed face first into the locker at the end of the room. Then he moved back to his bed, mumbled something about falling on the bar, and went back to sleep.

Ambien is a whole other thing. A woman the GF worked with woke up one morning to her husband telling her that was an incredible "midnight surprise" and kissed her on the cheek. She had apparently woken him up, ravaged him romance novel style, and remembered none of it.

Another guy she worked with said his brother went out one night at 2 AM and fired up the riding mower. He got about 1/4 of the yard done, before someone hauled him back in the house.

Chuck
2013-Mar-01, 03:34 PM
I once woke up sitting at my computer table across the room from my bed holding a phone next to my head. I didn't remember getting up to answer the phone and didn't know who I was talking to. No one was talking so I figured it was my turn to talk so I said, "Hello." She then yelled, "WAKE UP!" The computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 so this is not a recent event.

I think I had sleep paralysis but didn't seem to care. I'm pretty sure I was awake and couldn't move but fell asleep again. Years later I read that sleep paralysis affects the body from the neck down so the next time it happened I shook my head back and forth which brought me out of it.

Trebuchet
2013-Mar-01, 06:54 PM
When I was around eight, I got up one morning and my parents told me I'd gotten up in the middle of the night, come downstairs, and was headed for the basement before they turned me around. Apparently I said something to the effect of "I've got to get the little thing in the basement. The big one's ok." They actually regretted not letting me go down and get the "little thing" so they'd have known what it was.

Sleep-walking and even sleep-driving while on Ambien are enough of a thing that they warn about it in their TV commercials.

Solfe
2013-Mar-02, 09:33 PM
When I get very stressed, I sleepwalk. I have been known to do very strange and complex things while sleeping.

I used to make coffee in my sleep. My roommate thought I was doing it on purpose. He woke at 4:00 AM for work and often found a pot of fresh coffee waiting for him. He had no complaints and he simply assumed that I made it before going to bed - I was a night owl.

This continued until it two odd things happened. First the coffee pot fell on the floor in the middle of night. We blamed the cat. Our replacement coffee maker didn't fit under the cupboards so it was moved to the kitchen table. From that day forward, we'd wake up to a coffee filter covered in coffee on the counter where the old pot used to be.

This when on at random until my girlfriend caught me doing the same in her apartment. The funny bit was her apartment was next door to my house and the layout was exactly the same as my kitchen, except reversed. I apparently would make all the motions even if there was nothing there.

theloniusmonkey
2013-Mar-03, 10:36 PM
Today I transcribed a report wherein a lady has taken baths and showered while sleeping. :o She then "awakens, confused."

I've heard about strange activities by sleepwalkers, but this tops it.

Does anyone here have a history of sleepwalking? Or family, etc., accounts you'd like to share?

I read once the same was true with seizure activity, funny behavior, funny experiences. One woman described hearing "Whistle While You Work" , the song, before every seizure. That was her aura. I also read where a man with so called complex partial seizures would routinely take off his pants where ever he was. That was his seizure activity, removing his pants.