PDA

View Full Version : Peterson jury has reached verdict

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 07:42 PM
FNC is reporting the jury is in and will be read at 4PM EDT (~1:20 min).

pghnative
2004-Nov-12, 07:46 PM
You should have made this a poll.

I vote "guilty".

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 07:47 PM
4:00 PM EDT is in an hour and 20 . :-)

But seriously? even after they had a Forman change?

Then there is absolutly no doubt that its a hung jury.

[edit]I 100% believe he is guilty.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 07:48 PM
I thought the same thing. I don't know if the BA would interpret that as gossip, so I decided not. I feel that the verdict is guilty as well.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-12, 07:49 PM
Who's Peterson?

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 07:50 PM

It's a verdict. Guilty or Not Guilty.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 07:51 PM
Who's Peterson?

Scott Peterson. Accused of killing his pregnant wife last Christmas. Very sensational trial here in the US.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 07:52 PM

It's a verdict. Guilty or Not Guilty.
Ahhh. i thought that they are just going to say somethi9ng important. I just turned on Abrams on MSNBC and i see now. :-)

So i change my vote to Guilty.

pghnative
2004-Nov-12, 07:54 PM
I thought the same thing. I don't know if the BA would interpret that as gossip, so I decided not. I feel that the verdict is guilty as well.I thought we could gossip, but not about other BABBlers. Of course, maybe he's a BABBler! Have we been missing anyone for a few months? (Sam5???)

TriangleMan,
Scott Peterson is on trial in San Francisco for the murder of his pregnant wife. It became a national sensation because
a) she's a woman
b) she's white
c) she's attractive
d) she was pregnant.

I'm not justifying those biases, but that's the way it works in American media these days.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-12, 07:57 PM
Got it. Is this kind of an "OJ" thing in terms of media coverage?

(If it is I can't believe I haven't heard of this. I suppose that while Bermuda gets all of the major US networks I don't usually watch them so I've obviously missed the coverage. BBC wasn't mentioning this trial.)

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 07:59 PM
I thought we could gossip, but not about other BABBlers. Of course, maybe he's a BABBler! Have we been missing anyone for a few months? (Sam5???)

LOL. You're probably right. I just used a small bit of discretion. Apparently they ousted their sole holdout yesterday.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 08:01 PM

Same idea, yup. No gavel-to-gavel coverage, but on the nightly news for the last 6 months or so.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 08:02 PM
Traingle: Turn on one of the major Cable news networks. All of them will have it in about a hour. And yes this canse has been similar to O.J. in many ways. Even down to the high priced, very good defense lawyers.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-12, 08:05 PM
Traingle: Turn on one of the major Cable news networks. All of them will have it in about a hour.
Sorry but I have plans this evening. I'm not particularly concerned about the outcome anyway.

SciFi Chick
2004-Nov-12, 08:05 PM

(If it is I can't believe I haven't heard of this. I suppose that while Bermuda gets all of the major US networks I don't usually watch them so I've obviously missed the coverage. BBC wasn't mentioning this trial.)

I think you haven't heard about it, because he wasn't a celebrity until after his wife was murdered, as opposed to O.J., whom everyone had presumably heard of.

SciFi Chick
2004-Nov-12, 08:06 PM
I don't know enough about the evidence to know if I think he's guilty, but he's certainly acted guilty.

I think the jury may find him not guilty.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 08:12 PM
I don't know enough about the evidence to know if I think he's guilty, but he's certainly acted guilty.

The fishing trip really seems compelling. Add in the motive and consiousness of guilt issues, and (IMO) the defense has a high bar to meet.

Herodotus
2004-Nov-12, 08:18 PM
I am just glad the case was tried in Redwood city instead of here(Modesto). It was heck when all the camera crews were here for the early stages. I am betting on guilty too. And, no I don't know anyone involved in it.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 08:23 PM

The fishing trip really seems compelling. Add in the motive and consiousness of guilt issues, and (IMO) the defense has a high bar to meet.

I agree. The lies and the side evidence (like the bodies showing up exactly same place where he fished that day, etc. ) are further proof.

There is no official evidence he did it (no video, fingerprints etc.) but the coincidences are far too overwhelming to not be reasonably his fault. Its just not reasonable to think that anyone elxe did it.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 08:24 PM
I am just glad the case was tried in Redwood city instead of here(Modesto). It was heck when all the camera crews were here for the early stages. I am betting on guilty too. And, no I don't know anyone involved in it.

How much bigger is redwood than you?

Herodotus
2004-Nov-12, 08:28 PM
How much bigger is redwood than you?[/quote]

I think we are about the same, though if there is a difference it would be in their favor.

R.A.F.
2004-Nov-12, 08:30 PM
I see that Humphrey beat me too it...:)

Peterson's "alibi" is that he was fishing...at the same stop where the bodies were eventually found...

...guilty...

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 08:34 PM
Peterson's "alibi" is that he was fishing...at the same stop where the bodies were eventually found...

Yea. In my mind he was betting that the bodies would not be found and calculated the risk of a solidly debunked alibi would be much greater.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 08:40 PM

Yea. In my mind he was betting that the bodies would not be found and calculated the risk of a solidly debunked alibi would be much greater.Also he had to reason why he was in the area where there would be a good chance someone whould see him there.

Another thing is that he was there less than a hour and its something like 90 miles from his home.

pghnative
2004-Nov-12, 08:58 PM

...guilty...Of course, since his alibi was widely broadcast before the bodies were found, this gave his lawyer the opportunity to argue that the bodies were planted by the real killers.

On a (unrelated :D ) note, OJ Simpson has still not tracked down the killers of his ex-wife, even though he pledged to do so with all his heart and soul.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 09:01 PM
Heh, and some of the suggestions were really funny. They ranged from Homociday homless people who wanted to fram Peterson by somehow traveling 90 miles with her alive. Waiting for the baby to be born, and then killing them both to Cultists using them for some ritual.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 09:11 PM
Guilty - 1st Degree Murder with Special Circumstances

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 09:11 PM
Guilty!!

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 09:19 PM
The judge stated that the penalty phase should take less than a week, with the jury taking next week off. Sounds like he set the jury deliberations to begin on the penalty phase for Nov. 30th. The jury will be sequestered again after the penalty phase begins.

Lycus
2004-Nov-12, 09:21 PM
Guilty - 1st Degree Murder with Special Circumstances
Plus 2nd Degree Murder of the baby.

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-12, 09:26 PM
Linky (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041112/D86AIH0O0.html)

pumpkinpie
2004-Nov-12, 09:37 PM
Is this going to turn into to a "where were you when you heard the O.J. verdict?" I remember---I was in my college dorm watching TV. Sophomore year.

I don't think this trial is quite the one that was, but I'll share my story anyway. I had checked this thread about 3:45 EST. But I had to run a planetarium show at 4, so I'd get the news delayed. Well, in the middle of the show, one guest sitting near my seat pulled out her cell phone and appeared to be checking messages. It was distracting--it throws a lot of light. If she kept it out very long, I was going to ask her to turn it off, as I have to every now and then. But she kept it short.
Well, by the end of the show I had forgotten completely about the verdict. But on her way out, the cell phone lady turned to her husband and said, "It was Lynda. Scott Peterson was found guilty." I guess some news just can't wait!

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 09:47 PM
I guess some news just can't wait!

Yea. I too am probably blameworthy in getting too caught up in the sensational nature of this case. It was a compelling story, though.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-12, 09:48 PM
On a similar note at least three of my co-workers were on the phone and monitoring the internet to get the verdict. Shows how out-of-the-loop I've been.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the correction, BTW. I edited my OP but failed to say thanks.

Swift
2004-Nov-12, 10:31 PM
\rant mode\
I can't begin to say how much I don't care about this trial. I'm sorry for the various families involved, but no more sorry than for the families of hundreds of other people murdered each year in the US. Why doesn't this (http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2552586&nav=LQlCT190) trial, or any other particular one get similar national coverage?

Whether Peterson was found quilty or not will have absolutely no influence on any aspect of my life. The media coverage of this and similar trials is pure thrill-seeking and exploitation and I hate it.
\rant off\

8-[ Sorry. I feel better now with that off my chest.

Lycus
2004-Nov-12, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but no one cares that you don't care. :P

pghnative
2004-Nov-12, 10:41 PM
Why doesn't this (http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2552586&nav=LQlCT190) trial, or any other particular one get similar national coverage?See my explanation above. I could not agree more with your rant.

gethen
2004-Nov-12, 10:42 PM
\rant mode\
I can't begin to say how much I don't care about this trial. I'm sorry for the various families involved, but no more sorry than for the families of hundreds of other people murdered each year in the US. Why doesn't this (http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2552586&nav=LQlCT190) trial, or any other particular one get similar national coverage?

Whether Peterson was found quilty or not will have absolutely no influence on any aspect of my life. The media coverage of this and similar trials is pure thrill-seeking and exploitation and I hate it.
\rant off\

8-[ Sorry. I feel better now with that off my chest.
And ditto. This a.m. all the news was Yasser Arafat and the effects of his death on the Middle East and U.S. policy. The entire afternoon was consumed by the fate of some lowlife from California whose fate is of little importance to anyone but friends and family. Go figure.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 10:54 PM
Why doesn't this (http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2552586&nav=LQlCT190) trial, or any other particular one get similar national coverage?See my explanation above. I could not agree more with your rant.

Ypu Rich white male kills Rich white pregnant femals. Its all over the news.

Cylinder
2004-Nov-12, 11:11 PM
The entire afternoon was consumed by the fate of some lowlife from California whose fate is of little importance to anyone but friends and family.

I tend to disagree with this statement. I do agree that 24-hour cable news networks go rabid in their search for fill and tend to milk the tabloid nature of these crimes for ratings.

On the other hand, this story could also be argued to illuminate issues like domestic violence, criminal justice procedure, and missing and exploited children. I bet Elizabeth Smart and her family would give a heart-felt thanks to the media.

Also, I would argue that the criminal justice system in general has a great effect on my daily life. As stated above however, I agree that the news networks tend to focus too strongly on the seedier side of these stories.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-12, 11:58 PM
I think the reason people cought onto this was the husband himself. We never knew the wife and only had a few pictures. His strange acting and constant lies interested us alot.

Silent Knight
2004-Nov-13, 08:02 AM

How much bigger is redwood than you?

The population (http://www.city-data.com/city/California.html) of Modesto is 188,000 and for Redwood City it is 75,000. Modesto is 35.8 sq miles and Redwood City is 19.5.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-13, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the correction, BTW. I edited my OP but failed to say thanks.
folks, Eastern Time hasn't been Daylight Saving since last month :)

N C More
2004-Nov-13, 02:39 PM
I have to agee with Swift regarding the media circus aspect of this trial (good thing it wasn't televised). However, there is a serious reason that this case may have caught the attention of the nation. Take a look at this (http://www.now.org/issues/violence/043003pregnant.html) and this (http://www.stopdomesticabuse.org/homicides_of_pregnant_women.htm). As a nation that defines itself as civilized this is unacceptable and people look for an emotional outlet for their anger regarding such crimes. I think that punishment can serve as a deterent and I look forward to the penalty phase. Our society has to make it crystal clear that such violent crimes against the most vulnerable among us will not be tolerated. BTW, I feel the same way about child abuse, elder abuse, animal abuse etc.

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-13, 02:49 PM
Another thing, although this came about after the start of the circus. Murder in the 2nd for an unborn child. A new precedence has been set (so I understand). And there's going to be a lot of controversy out of this, like now that the death of an unborn child can be called murder, how does abortion play into it? (Which is way too much of a political argument to be discussed here.)

However as to why was it so “popular”? It happened on Christmas Eve, that’s what got the initial media attention, almost any other day and it’d be just another husband killing his wife covered on the local news and not much beyond that.

I will say that my wife has been following it cosly. But she had the justice system go completely wrong for her and was just waiting for yet another proof that you can get away with anything if you have a good enough lawyer.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-13, 03:34 PM
Another thing, although this came about after the start of the circus. Murder in the 2nd for an unborn child. A new precedence has been set (so I understand). And there's going to be a lot of controversy out of this, like now that the death of an unborn child can be called murder, how does abortion play into it? (Which is way too much of a political argument to be discussed here.)

However as to why was it so “popular”? It happened on Christmas Eve, that’s what got the initial media attention, almost any other day and it’d be just another husband killing his wife covered on the local news and not much beyond that.

I will say that my wife has been following it cosly. But she had the justice system go completely wrong for her and was just waiting for yet another proof that you can get away with anything if you have a good enough lawyer.

WEll to be fair, supposedly 30 states have similar laws already on the books that allows fetuses in the woumbs to be a victim in a crime.

Under my understanding they officially exempt abortion, but dont take my word on that.