PDA

View Full Version : Who's good at fire clean-up?

Tog
2013-Mar-12, 01:48 PM
The other day we had a brush fire outside the hotel where I work. As a result, the reddish brick has some pretty nasty soot stains up the wall. Is there anything magic that will remove it, or is it a soap and scrub-brush sort of project?

Fazor
2013-Mar-12, 02:45 PM
The other day we had a brush fire outside the hotel where I work. As a result, the reddish brick has some pretty nasty soot stains up the wall. Is there anything magic that will remove it, or is it a soap and scrub-brush sort of project?

Soap and scrub-brush is usually the *worst* idea, particularly on a porous surface. It just spreads it around and works it in. I'll look through our fire damage mitigation stuff to see if they have any suggestions in there.

BigDon
2013-Mar-12, 05:42 PM
Soap and scrub-brush is usually the *worst* idea, particularly on a porous surface. It just spreads it around and works it in. I'll look through our fire damage mitigation stuff to see if they have any suggestions in there.

Which is one of the reasons it's nice to seal brick.

Fazor
2013-Mar-14, 07:18 PM
Well I haven't been able to find anything specific in the literature we have around the office regarding smoke from brick. I know that drycleaning sponges are good for getting smoke off drywall/cabinets/etc, but I can't see them working well on brick. Would likely just tear them up.

The problem with using water is that it'll just smear the stuff around. Ideally you want to find a "dry" method of cleaning. Not sure what though.