PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter Occultation

jt-3d
2004-Nov-14, 03:26 AM
Start planning for this (http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/occultations/article_1380_1.asp) now. I am hoping to see a shot like this one of Mars (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030724.html) but you know, with Jupiter instead. For me, it looks like it'll be too low to see unless I can talk some neighbors into cutting down they're trees but I'll be set up out front anyway barring clouds. It looks like the further east you go, the higher it will be so how about right coasters, care to make my day?

Wolverine
2004-Nov-14, 03:54 AM
Looks like I'm in the same boat.

Ut
2004-Nov-14, 04:23 AM
Hrmm. Looks like I'm going to have to book the school telescope for this one... :D

Evan
2004-Nov-14, 06:12 AM
That truly sucks. Not visible here.

scottmsg
2004-Nov-14, 06:23 AM
It looks like it will be awfully early for me to get up on a weekday, but if I can make it to my grandmother's house, I should have a nice view.

Of course, it'll probably be overcast, but I can dream can't I?

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-14, 09:47 AM
Great, might get two times in one month (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=362534&highlight=jupiter+moon#3625 34) :)

SarahMc
2004-Nov-14, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I missed the reappearance. Those sucker holes turned into complete coverage an hour after I watched the disappearance. So I guess between the two of us, we saw the whole thing :D

Did any of the forum members "down under" catch the Venus occultation on the 10th??

Evan
2004-Nov-15, 02:56 AM
Grrrrr....

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-04, 06:05 PM
jt-3d (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=375217#375217) isn't going to bump his own thread, but this is too good to miss. Next Tuesday morning, around 4-5am for those of us on the East Coast of the US.

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-04, 06:30 PM
I'm hoping to go out and catch this too, but it looks like my skies are going to be partly cloudy where I am.

Also, does anyone have any astrophotography tips for this? Especially exposure times. I'm going to be using an 8" SCT with 200 ISO film and eyepiece projection.

I know for Jupiter, the best exposure time for my setup is ~1/15 second, but the moon's ideal exposure time is ~1/30. I'm hoping this discrepancy won't wash one out or leave the other underexposed.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-04, 07:04 PM
I know for Jupiter, the best exposure time for my setup is ~1/15 second, but the moon's ideal exposure time is ~1/30. I'm hoping this discrepancy won't wash one out or leave the other underexposed.
Probably unavoidable--but the best time to catch it might be as Jupiter comes out from behind the moon--on the dark side.

jt-3d
2004-Dec-04, 07:21 PM
... cutting down they're trees...

Oh man I can't believe I didn't catch that.

Anywho, I hope somebody get's some good shots of this.

P.S. Here's a little Saturn (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020222.html) action incase you missed it like I did.

Andromeda321
2004-Dec-04, 07:36 PM
Bleh, stupid exam the next day. I mean yeah, the exam starts at 4pm but I'm not taking any chances... so as a result anyone within a 500 mile radius of Cleveland, Ohio will have clear skies. Consider it a gift from me to you. :wink:

Booblishmoops
2004-Dec-04, 08:07 PM
No chance it's visible in Israel, is there?

ngc3314
2004-Dec-04, 08:07 PM
I'm hoping to go out and catch this too, but it looks like my skies are going to be partly cloudy where I am.

Also, does anyone have any astrophotography tips for this? Especially exposure times. I'm going to be using an 8" SCT with 200 ISO film and eyepiece projection.

Within a factor of 2 is so close as to be a gift, helped out in this case by the moon being a crescent and thus a lot dimmer than more fully-illuminated phases. Any kind of film except the high-contrast copying stuff (marvellously fine grain, but I'm not sure they make it any more) has much more than this (1-stop) latitude in exposure. I'll probably try with a digital camera on 10-inch Dob, seeing as our 10-inch refractor on campus has been dismantled and the replacement 16-inch Cass is here in its crate and will have to stay there for six weeks (schedule issues between manufacturer and local machinist for new pier...)

cyswxman
2004-Dec-04, 10:11 PM
I'll try to see it. The occultation will have already began at moonrise here, but the Jupiter reappearance will be visible (thus guaranteeing a cloud deck here)! :x

frogesque
2004-Dec-04, 10:51 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to upstage the original thread. Looks as if I will miss out (AGAIN!) so post as many pics and links as you can.

Don't know if this is possible but it would be surreal to have a photo of Jupiter occluded but a/some Jovian moon/s just out of the Moon's disc (if that makes sense :lol: )

Good veiwing and clear skys to you all.

Froggy.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-05, 04:45 AM
Don't know if this is possible but it would be surreal to have a photo of Jupiter occluded but a/some Jovian moon/s just out of the Moon's disc (if that makes sense .
hadn't thought about that, but from here it looks like Callisto will be eclipsed first, then Ganymede, then Jupiter, then Europa. Io spends the entire eclipse hiding behind Jupiter.

Wasn't that a movie starring Angelina Jolie?

jt-3d
2004-Dec-05, 10:46 AM

Looks like it will be 1300hrs there and the moon will be just setting anyway.

Eroica
2004-Dec-05, 10:55 AM

Looks like it will be 1300hrs there and the moon will be just setting anyway.
And besides, Israel is outside the path of occultation, so you wouldn't see any occultation even if the horizon and daylight weren't there (not that the daylight would actually prevent you from seeing Jupiter!).

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Dec-05, 03:47 PM
those occult photos of the planets in links are wonderful =D>

did anyone get a picture ?

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-06, 03:08 AM
Looks like the weather might just cooperate for once. I'm getting reports of clearing skies starting at 9pm local time (occultation scheduled for ~3am local). But then it's supposed to cloud up again. Here's to hoping it holds off long enough to take some pictures.

frogesque
2004-Dec-06, 08:48 AM
Don't know if this is possible but it would be surreal to have a photo of Jupiter occluded but a/some Jovian moon/s just out of the Moon's disc (if that makes sense .
hadn't thought about that, but from here it looks like Callisto will be eclipsed first, then Ganymede, then Jupiter, then Europa. Io spends the entire eclipse hiding behind Jupiter.

Wasn't that a movie starring Angelina Jolie?

Just found this (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/29nov_moonjupiter.htm) As well as exact times for US locations it shows an impression of the relative positions of Jupiter's moons.

jt-3d
2004-Dec-06, 08:49 AM
Well I went out to see how high the moon would be tomorrow while it was the same height but we have solid clouds and it will probably be the same tomorrow so it looks like I'm out of luck.

Gmann
2004-Dec-06, 02:19 PM
I should be able to see this. MY KINGDOM FOR CLEAR SKIES FOR A CHANGE. I have missed 2 meteor showers and the World Series Lunar Eclipse because of clouds. Maybe if I try the "Ruby Slippers" thing from Wizard of Oz. (Insert emoticon with crossed fingers)

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-06, 09:36 PM
I had the same problem in missing meteor showers and the eclipse.

It's still supposed to clear up, but I'm not sure how much I trust it considering it says it's "Fair" outside right now and in reality, it's completely overcast.

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Dec-07, 08:34 AM
Just a few more minutes to go, before Callisto disappears.

Fog here.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Dec-07, 09:09 AM
...got the camera, got the trick film, got the tripod, got the doubler, got the book, got it figgered out how long to expose for what film with what length lens...

...and it's clouded over and spittin' rain...it has been for two days, and will be for four or five more...no Jupiter occultation, no Venus/Mars...

...frog snot...

Eroica
2004-Dec-07, 09:26 AM
Perfect weather here: the Sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky. Pity I'm outside the path of the occultation! :(

Oh, well, at least I've made use of the opportunity to see Jupiter in broad daylight.

jt-3d
2004-Dec-07, 09:50 AM
Well skyglobe was wrong. It was just starting when the moon cleared the trees. I didn't set the big scope up because I thought the show would be mostly over by the time I could see it. On top of that the wife hid the digital camera somewhere and I couldn't find it.

I ended up using my Jason scope and a movie camera which I don't know how to use. Also I don't have any way to transfer the film to anything. In the end I guess I have squat to show for the effort but Jupiter coming out on the dark side of the moon was great sight. Would have been better with the big 10 but nothing I can do about that now.

Bravo, space, good show.

frogesque
2004-Dec-07, 10:00 AM
Up early but as I was outside the occultatation I wasn't expecting a lot. However just as I was about to go get some breakfast a brilliant meteor hurtled across the sky roughly NNW to SSE with elevation just below the moon. Mag was somewhere between Jupiter and Venus so that was nice compensation.

jt-3d
2004-Dec-07, 10:29 AM
Yeah I saw one too while I was out messing with the camera, trying to get a shot of Saturn. It was'nt all that impressive though, just zipped by. I just happened to be looking in that direction because that's where Saturn is.

Gmann
2004-Dec-07, 01:26 PM
Got rained out again...grrrr. Maybe next time.

SarahMc
2004-Dec-07, 01:50 PM
Yeah I saw one too while I was out messing with the camera, trying to get a shot of Saturn. It was'nt all that impressive though, just zipped by. I just happened to be looking in that direction because that's where Saturn is.

Maybe an early Geminid. I'm glad someone got to watch, I was (and still am) in the same boat as Charlie.

Maksutov
2004-Dec-07, 03:02 PM
Severe thunderstorms, tornado watchs, and downpours (why are those always described as "torrential"?) all night around here. Things cleared up after sunrise (of course). :evil:

Oh well, there should be a few photos available from the clear areas eventually.

ChibiVader
2004-Dec-07, 03:54 PM
I woke up to check, but it was still raining. #-o

Meteora
2004-Dec-07, 03:59 PM
I had to work the midnight shift, so I figured I'd take a few minutes' break to go outside and look up when Jupiter cleared the moon. Then I forgot about it. #-o

About 4 a.m., a coworker came in for his shift and said he'd seen something strange by the moon. I thought, "Oh [inappropriate word]," and hurried out to look. It was over. :evil: But, seeing Jupiter right next to the moon like that was sort of cool. 8)

jfribrg
2004-Dec-07, 05:36 PM
Rain here. Oh well, can't win them all. The clouds broke just in time for the Venus transit. No such luck this time.

Russ
2004-Dec-07, 05:36 PM
Like Charlie-in-Dayton, I suffered from sever strato-cumulus with condensate. :evil: :x :cry: Oh well, at least I had severe clear for the Venus transit. :D

Dgennero
2004-Dec-07, 07:48 PM
In the Florida Keys, I watched Jupiter just graze the moon at a dark part of the limb before it became cloudy. I didn't check in later, just wanted to know if it will be a grazing occultation or a miss.