PDA

View Full Version : The Half Life 2 Thread

Tranquility
2004-Nov-14, 01:16 PM
Game of the decade? Seems likely.

Apparently Best Buy has already started selling the game (http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/halflife2availableatbestbuynow!.shtml). BUT, you can't play it before the 16th of November because to play the game you need to verify it using Steam, so you can't play it prior to the 16th.

Gamespot posted an excellent series on the final hours of half life 2 (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html). An excellent piece on the turbulent history of this highly anticipated game and the hurdles that hindered the game's development, and the September 30, 2003 release date fiasco.

Anybody got their hands on a legal copy they can't play it? Are you ditching school/college/work on the 16th :D ?

Sadly, I'll be getting it in a bit less than 2 weeks.

I can't wait.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-14, 06:06 PM
Final hours was very good. I rear it front to back. I highly reccomend it for anyone who wants a bit of background to the company and game. But it was a bit too butt kissing IMHO. :-)

three more days...[twitch]...three more days...[twitch]...three more days...[twitch]...three more days...[twitch]...

George
2004-Nov-14, 06:56 PM
While ya'll are waiting....

Can you recommend any good strategy games? I really have enjoyed C & C's - "Generals" game. Is there any others similar. I am not too keen on the single person role model games.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-14, 07:07 PM
You play the C&C generals expansion Zero Hour? I feel thats it improves on nearly every single aspect.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-14, 07:42 PM
Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and the expansion pack Frozen Throne if you haven't yet played it.

The games I heard are good are Codename: Panzers, Rome Total War, Warhammer 40,000, and Kohan II, they're different gamestyles than your standard RTS though, so you should check the reviews in case you don't like the respective "innovations". Like for example in Kohan II, you can't control individual units when they are in a skirmish. Warhammer lets you play the campaign with only one race. And Rome is, I think, turn-based. You might also wanna check out Zero Hour as Humphrey said, or Age of Mythology.

There's also a couple of games coming out soon that seem to be pretty good - Armies of Exigo and LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, in the end of November and first week of December respectively.

George
2004-Nov-14, 08:22 PM
You play the C&C generals expansion Zero Hour? I feel thats it improves on nearly every single aspect.
Yep. That's the one I've about wore out.

Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and the expansion pack Frozen Throne if you haven't yet played it.

The games I heard are good are Codename: Panzers, Rome Total War, Warhammer 40,000, and Kohan II, they're different gamestyles than your standard RTS though, so you should check the reviews in case you don't like the respective "innovations". Like for example in Kohan II, you can't control individual units when they are in a skirmish. Warhammer lets you play the campaign with only one race. And Rome is, I think, turn-based. You might also wanna check out Zero Hour as Humphrey said, or Age of Mythology.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Turn-based are fine with me. My favorite is still "The Lost Admiral".

There's also a couple of games coming out soon that seem to be pretty good - Armies of Exigo and LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, in the end of November and first week of December respectively.
Thanks. Another thread mention "Axis and Allies". I played some of their board versions when the came out. This should be good, too.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-14, 08:24 PM
Well if you haven't played Warcraft I'd start with that. The campaign is long and awesome and the story very deep throughout the original and the expansion. And the online multiplayer capabilities that Blizzard offers are very good.

Makgraf
2004-Nov-14, 09:15 PM
War3 is a good game. One of the main problems I have with it is that the people on battle.net are... well, I believe the technical term is "human scum". Not that I haven't met some nice people online but generally it's the worst type of insecure-in-his-masculinity-12-year-old. It's like taking the people online in Counterstrike or something and give them control of an Orcish army. If you like campaigns you should check out Legacy of the Confederation (http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcraft/lotc/index.shtml), a Starcraft mod. These people did a heck of a lot of work, added in new units, new voices and even cinematics.

I've played Mediveal Total War and Dawn of War (The 40k one). MTW (and I'm RTW also) is a hybrid of Civilizations and Myth. One aspect of the game is taking over provinces, building troops and buildings and researching. When you get into a battle though you actually fight it out in a Myth-y RTS way. If you're just into the Civ style of playing you can have the computer fight it for you.

In the 40k game you can't control individual units, instead you command squads. You build a squad at a building and then can add new troops to it and upgrades (there are add new troops and upgrade buttons on the squads). You accquire resources not by mining crystals or the such but by controling territory (there are points you can take that will give you resources). The graphics are nice and you can "paint" your own army just like in the real game. However unlike the real it doesn't cost a bazillion dollars per model.

LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth looked beautiful from what I've seen.

Sever
2004-Nov-14, 10:47 PM
I'll hopefully get ahold of a copy tomorrow; though I'll need to reformat my harddrive and reinstall WinXP before I can play...

:cry:

:cry:

Still, I got a new video card and supposedly I get HL2 half price or something.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-15, 01:10 AM
Still, I got a new video card and supposedly I get HL2 half price or something.

If it's a 9600 XT or a 9800 XT you get a free HL2 coupon with a CD-key so you can download the game using the Steam engine and play it for free.

2004-Nov-15, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, my computer is broke, so I can't play. The control board that controls my water cooling pumps is borked. I've got a new one on the way but it's not scheduled to be delivered until Friday. Of course, I really can't afford to buy it until then anyways.

iFire
2004-Nov-15, 06:57 PM
My favorite stragity game is Dawn of War. Based on the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. Fun game.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-15, 07:11 PM
I got Codename: Panzers today. Gonna see how that one turns out.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-15, 07:30 PM
one more day....one more day....one more day....
[continues rocking in the corner...]

Tranquility
2004-Nov-15, 07:49 PM
A review of Half Life 2 will be up on Gamespot in exactly 11 minutes.

*chews nervously on nails*

EDIT: The review is live. HL2 gets a 9.2/10 . See you chaps in a while :D

xbck1
2004-Nov-15, 08:31 PM
You know, Tranquility, PC Gamer's November issue has been out since last month. They had a huge review of HL2, and they even gave it their highest score ever (I think).

Humphrey
2004-Nov-15, 08:52 PM
Live i have said many time, i feel that PC gamer has more unbiased reviews than most other publications and online reviewers.

Can you get PC gamer at your place Tranquility? Will they deliver there?

Tranquility
2004-Nov-15, 10:09 PM
Cool I just checked and I can subscribe and get it delivered to where I'm at. Didn't know about their HL2 review.

Thanks peeps :D

Sever
2004-Nov-15, 11:21 PM
If all goes to plan, I should be playing it tommorow. At least I found a bunch of fan fiction to keep me occupied.
:)

Colt
2004-Nov-16, 01:10 AM
*reads the first few posts and then skips the rest of the drooling*

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is such an awesome game. I bought it the other day and it's simply amazing. I have yet to play it online because I'm still occupied by the singleplayer campaign. The game's only real downfall, in my opinion, is that there is only a campaign for the Space Marines and not the other races. Hopefully there'll be an expansion for that... One tip though: Don't listen to the computer on what to do in the campaign... Where it tells you that you need Rhinos to get through the pass? Just get some Dreadnoughts and blast the little buggers off of the cliffs. 8)

I'm really thinking about buying Half-Life 2 in the next couple of days... I was going to wait a while until all of the hype died down but I don't know. Reading the The Final Hours makes me want to just go ahead and buy it. - Colt

Sever
2004-Nov-16, 01:18 AM
I just found out HL2 ships tommorow here.
At least I'll have more time to play it. I have to save all my importent downloads to a CD-R first.
Warhammer sounds fun.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 04:09 AM
EB games called. They have my copy waiting for me.

:D

BAroxMysox
2004-Nov-16, 06:16 AM
I get my copy within the next 2 days. I spent a little more, so I get a nifty T-shirt with it too. :D

p.s. Warhammer is great too. I love the resource system. In fact, I love everything about it. Rekindled my love affair with RTS games.

SKY
2004-Nov-16, 06:31 AM
I know this game has been mentioned in another threadGTA-San Andreas(I won't mention the name of the other threadGTA-San Andreasbecause others are having a hard time resisting temptation to purchase itGTA-San Andreasand the only consol it plays on...PlaystationGTA-San Andreas), but I've never played the first Half Life. Then again I've been busy with anotherGTA-San Andreasgame that will remain namelessGTA-San Andreasfor fear of lynching by the very same ones attempting to resist saidGTA-San Andreastemptation. I've heard a lot of people talking about this release (in the otherGTA-San Andreasthread) and I am starting to fear that the marketers of Half Life may be using an old marketing technique used to gain buyers. Not sure if you've ever heard of this technique, but it's called Subliminal messagingPlaystation,GTA-San Andreas. It works by planting suggestions into your mindGTA-San Andreasthrough very subtle messagesSKY is King. Whether it's flashes of phases on the TV screenGTA-San Andreas or imbedded words in a Sports Illistrated swimsuit edition that magazine has words??? I had no ideasubliminal messaging is everywhereGTA-San Andreas. So beware when seeing a advertisement for this Half Life 2, I fear with all the talk of this release, it may have already had an effect on some posters hereGTA-San Andreas(but I won't name namesHumphrey, Tranquility, Sever).

*edit...spelling...it was late*

Morrolan
2004-Nov-16, 07:10 AM
i'm waiting for HL2 to be delivered here in Asia, which allegedly is tomorrow, but could be delayed... :(

anyway, in order to improve my survival chances i just bought a Razer Diamondback mouse (http://www.razerzone.com/diamondback.html) and an ExactMat (http://www.razerzone.com/exactmat.html)...

a 1600 dpi mouse! \:D/

Crazieman
2004-Nov-16, 07:24 AM
Sky, thats so unfair. I'm sitting around waiting for said unnamed game and Halo 2 to appear on PC around summer 05 :(

SKY
2004-Nov-16, 07:36 AM
Sky, thats so unfair. I'm sitting around waiting for said unnamed game and Halo 2 to appear on PC around summer 05 :(

That's why I refused to mention the name. :wink:

mid
2004-Nov-16, 10:54 AM
On the bright side, as I mentioned in the other thread, it'd cost you lot less to buy the unmentioned console than it would cost me to upgrade my GeForce Ti4200 to something capable of playing Half-Life 2 properly, in any case.

So, as much as this looks great, I'm not getting it for a long, long while yet.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-16, 11:55 AM
Aaaaaaargggghhh you're all getting it so soon and I have to wait a few days.

Well either way I got my Zalman ZM-RS6F Theatre 6 5.1 channel surround sound headphones (*pant*) to aid in this hectic gaming week. :D

The main idea that appeals to me in Warhammer is Orks with machine guns. mmmmmmm...... :D

Sky, talk about marketing tactics and being obsessed with one particular game :D

So you guys who were making fun of us for not having a PS2, you might be able to play HL2, but we have it with MOST of the Source engine's eye candy turned on because you pay for your PS2 and neglect video card upgrades :P

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 02:51 PM
Half hour to go till the store opens! :-D

Say Sky, were you trying to say something? I could not hear it over your systems poor sound and graphics.

All hail the PC! No shooter should ever have to downgrade to a console and its poor excuse for a controller! No need for auto aim with a mouse, we don't need to cheat to get a kill. :-P

Plus when will you play MTA? Ohhh..wait..you ccan't on the PS2. :-P

:-P
[im just having fun with ya. Sure im jealous so i have to say anything to feel better. :-)]

TimH
2004-Nov-16, 03:02 PM
[quote]
Thanks. Another thread mention "Axis and Allies". I played some of their board versions when the came out. This should be good, too.

Please, please, please don't pick up the pc version of "Axis and Allies" save your money for something better... like ANYTHING!

It is a horrible game. Very buggy, terrible game AI and Hasbro refuses to put out a patch or sell the rights to someone that will fix it.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 03:17 PM
I agree with Tim there. Gamespot writes up a prety decent review on it. The review confirmed my suspicions from playing the Demo. Even on a normal difficulty, the A.I. was very easy. They spent nearly all the time in their main base building buildings and only set up a minimum # of units. When i captured a City, they would send a few units after it and try to recapture. If they do they would not build anything but instead just sit there and eventually return to their main base.

A very good premise, but hamperd by poor mechanics and A.I.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/axisalliesrts/review.html

I would suggest getting the demo first and seeing if you like it or not.

P.S. i would like to add that while i do not think of Gamespot as tottaly unbiased, they are prety good. I find that they can be swayed by the "hype" of a game more than other reviewing companies. But they do try to get through that.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 04:45 PM
Just got home with my copy right now. :-)
(SKY: nanananananananana...! :-P)

Installing it now and i have to wonder. Who was the genious to put all 5 CD's in paper sleaves? I hate when they do that. So i cut off the Cd-Code and taped it to CD ccases i have for my blank CD's.

Surprisingly there was no manual at all. They are getting cheap.
I shall tell you how the game is in a few hours. If i can pull myself away :-)

Tranquility
2004-Nov-16, 05:10 PM
Just got home with my copy right now. :-)
(SKY: nanananananananana...! :-P)

Installing it now and i have to wonder. Who was the genious to put all 5 CD's in paper sleaves? I hate when they do that. So i cut off the Cd-Code and taped it to CD ccases i have for my blank CD's.

Surprisingly there was no manual at all. They are getting cheap.
I shall tell you how the game is in a few hours. If i can pull myself away :-)

*gnaws at fingers and reminds self never to hate a fellow PC gamer* :D

SKY
2004-Nov-16, 05:58 PM
Say Sky, were you trying to say something?

[-( Naa, I can't help if you are ready more into my post than what is planly posted. :P

SKY
2004-Nov-16, 05:59 PM
Sky, talk about marketing tactics and being obsessed with one particular game :D

What game would that be? :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 06:32 PM
Been playing for a little bit here and just WOW :o :o :o The graphics are absolutly impressive. Im playing with many of the stats on full and no framerate losses at all.

The weapons sound and feel very strong and just the atmosphere of the game...just wow. ITs stunningly beautiful and very much alive. I mean you see flocks of birds in the sky flying around and just everyday people and guards doing their stuff. The guards actually look bored or are doing something else before you come onto them. They are not like in most games where they just sit there waititng for you and only you.

Like if you come around a corner and go somewhere you are not supposed to go yet a guard comes out with a stun cattle prod and says "move along" or something similar.

(I enjoy throwing stuff at regular citizens heads and seeing their reaction :-) )

Back to playing :-)...

BAroxMysox
2004-Nov-16, 06:42 PM
What are your specs, Humphrey? I'm worried my PC won't be up to par. Although, I was able to tweak Doom 3 to work flawlessly on high quality, and HL2s specs seem suspiciously low.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-16, 06:53 PM
Been playing for a little bit here and just WOW :o :o :o The graphics are absolutly impressive. Im playing with many of the stats on full and no framerate losses at all.

Video card? Processor?

Screenshots?! :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 08:40 PM
3 ghz P4
Nividia Geforce FX.
a gig of ram.
Sound blaster Audigy 2.
Thats the basics.
Anything else?

I am runing the game with everything but antialiasing (thats off) on high and at 1024x768. No noticable framerate drop yet (not counting when the game is saving at a checkpoint.)

The game is simply beautiful. I'll have a few screenies up in a bit. :-)

P.S. When dealing with the flying chainsaws, i feel the crowbar is very good. weapon. But damn are they anoying. No spoilers. Those are my name for them. Dont take it too literally in their description. . :-)

here is one screenie: (i made them smaller for easy bandwith for you old fogies still on dialup :-P) I'll post some more later on:

Water (http://drsandler.net/images/temp/water.jpg)

Ive got to say the physics is really fun to play with. I cant wait till i get the gravity gun :-)

BAroxMysox
2004-Nov-16, 09:35 PM
My eyes just melted. That screen was was like looking at a photograph.

My specs aren't too far off. I can get surprisingly good quality out of them.

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Geforce FX5900
512 DDR (it's quality RAM though)

My copy should ship out today. I'm going to be bald from the wait.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 10:02 PM
Two more.

Airboat (http://www.drsandler.net/images/temp/jump.jpg)
dog and girl. (http://www.drsandler.net/images/temp/dog.jpg)

(i use captions because along with listening to it, its alot easier to hear whats going on in the background. Especially what the commando guys are saying.)

As you can see i finally got the gravity gun and its amazing. All i have to say its just way too much fun using it. :-) Especially when sawblades are in the area.
:wink:

I'll get one more of some action and that will be it so i dont give spoilers. :-)

But of course ill do it when im not dieing. :-)

Tranquility
2004-Nov-16, 10:40 PM
Nividia Geforce FX.

Which FX?

This probably means that I'll be getting even better framerates, because HL2 is supposed to play much better on ATI cards, and I have a 9700 Pro, which isn't bad at all.

Go Valve! All is forgiven :D

Tranquility
2004-Nov-16, 11:40 PM
Humphrey where are you? Are you trying to finish the entire game today :D ?

snowcelt
2004-Nov-16, 11:50 PM
I guess the old 8088 aint gonna' cut it eh?

Seriously. What is the least I can get away with on a video card? I find that on War Craft lll that 64 aint enough.

BAroxMysox
2004-Nov-17, 12:57 AM
128MB is probably all you'll need. 256 preferably, but I hear they aren't worth getting at this point. At least not until the next generation of games come out in bigger numbers.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-17, 01:14 AM
IT IS OFFICIAL

Half-Life 2 ROCKS!!!

I spent an hour playing with the gravity gun just seeing what i could do with it. I managed to kill myself :D

Lets just say tall tower of objects and trying to place a barrel i didn't notice was explosive ontop. Up it went... down it came :cry:

This not been a spoiler as its already been in a trailer, that huge crane with the magnet on, grunt go squish. FUN :D

Tranquility
2004-Nov-17, 01:33 AM
I'm really glad to see that the Source engine is working well.
BTW guys look out for the first game not developed by Valve to use the Source engine - Vampire: Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Sever
2004-Nov-17, 01:48 AM
w00t I got a copy!
(of course I'll have to uninstall it tommorow when I format my hard drive but hey, its HL).
I got the Gorden box.

Morrolan
2004-Nov-17, 02:07 AM
WAAAH! release in Singapore delayed until Friday! :cry:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-17, 02:28 AM
Tranquility: Budget version: Geforce fx 5200

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-17, 02:59 AM
I'm really glad to see that the Source engine is working well.
BTW guys look out for the first game not developed by Valve to use the Source engine - Vampire: Masquerade: Bloodlines.
I thought they released it today but i heard it never went gold #-o

They can release it anytime they want now but Valve said they couldn't release it before HL2 (engine thing) so i think they might be delaying to get a cash rush. Looks good though :)

Sever
2004-Nov-17, 04:18 AM
Do I need to be online while installing it? Its been installing some Steam files for the last 10 minutes.
EDIT: Never mind. I'm on the 3rd disk now. Dang its big.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-17, 05:20 AM
Yes you need to be online to play it the first time. But there is a bug currently with that process, so it takes several tries.

When you play for the first time it registers your CD key to your steam account and makes the game playable. Takes about 15 minutes even for a very fast machine. This is fro both ways of buying, online or physical CD.

I just beat ravenhome. God dman that was a freaky place. But i sure did love those sawblades. :-)

The game is about 20 hours long. So far i think ive done about 5.

I cant wait to beat the game so i can cheat and get all the cool stuff right away :-)

Sever
2004-Nov-17, 05:31 AM
Yes you need to be online to play it the first time. But there is a bug currently with that process, so it takes several tries.

When you play for the first time it registers your CD key to your steam account and makes the game playable. Takes about 15 minutes even for a very fast machine. This is fro both ways of buying, online or physical CD.

I just beat ravenhome. God dman that was a freaky place. But i sure did love those sawblades. :-)

The game is about 20 hours long. So far i think ive done about 5.

I cant wait to beat the game so i can cheat and get all the cool stuff right away :-)

Ah okay.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-17, 01:32 PM

They can release it anytime they want now but Valve said they couldn't release it before HL2 (engine thing) so i think they might be delaying to get a cash rush. Looks good though :)

Dunno, there are community ratings for it on gamespot, and they actually give it a 9.5/10. Gamespot itself doesn't have a review for it up yet. The scheduled release date was the 16th, the same day as HL2, which seems pretty stupid.

EDIT: There's also a review of the game up on gamespy, here (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/566646p1.html).

Tranquility
2004-Nov-17, 01:39 PM
Tranquility: Budget version: Geforce fx 5200

Nice. So I should be able to run the game on pretty high visual settings. This is starting to shape up pretty well. Who needs a 6800 Ultra :P .

Humphrey
2004-Nov-17, 01:59 PM

Dunno, there are community ratings for it on gamespot, and they actually give it a 9.5/10. Gamespot itself doesn't have a review for it up yet. The scheduled release date was the 16th, the same day as HL2, which seems pretty stupid.

EDIT: There's also a review of the game up on gamespy, here (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/566646p1.html).

Been up since Monday night (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story) :-D

Or do you mean Vampire game? IF so, nevermind im a moron. :-)

Tranquility
2004-Nov-17, 02:47 PM
Been up since Monday night (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story) :-D

Or do you mean Vampire game? IF so, nevermind im a moron. :-)

lol it's ironic that I was the first one to post that the HL2 review was up on Gamespot a couple of pages ago in this thread :lol:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-17, 03:16 PM
Doh!!!! #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Krevel
2004-Nov-18, 06:40 PM
I'm on dial-up, and am wondering a few things.

1) How long will the registration/verification on Steam take?

2) Any idea how big the download is?

3) You don't need to be online to play single player, do you?

Thanks for the info.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-18, 07:34 PM
From what i understand it is not a download. Basically they send your code over the net and Steam gives the authorization to decode the program.

You do not need to be on the net to play single player. You just need to have steam active.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 04:27 AM
Some hints. No Spoilers here at all Just ways to defeat badguys. :

First ofr all i love my Antlion minions. :-)

'
Zombies: Headshot with the shotgun. Next is to use the revolver headshot.

Flying chainsaws (you will know what im talking about): Primary function left mouse button) of grav gun. (or secondary for more fun). AS they come near use the primary function to shoot them away and into a wall. Instant kill. If you do not have this yet than the crowbar works best. Another option is to use the secondary function (right mouse button) and capture one of them. He will not hurst you. Then throw him into one of his comrades. Instand kill on both. Or seriously damage them both.

mother antlion Only effective way i saw was to use walls in conjunction with the shotgun. Do this: Move against a wall. Face the mother antlion and wait for her charge. As she charges sidestep away. She will hit the wall and become disopriented. Then shoot her. Rinse, lather, repeat.

The magnetic rolling mines. You encounter these in the dune buggie level. Use the gravity gun adn use the secondary function to grab onto them. Then fling them over a cliff. They are not your problem anymore. :-)

Not done yet. Will add on as i see more. I love this game. I also love how long it is. :-)

Sever
2004-Nov-19, 04:34 AM
It won't work. It says something along the lines of "Engine Error: failure to init shader system". I haven't found any solutions and I'm not sure what will work...

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 08:00 AM
Reinstall. Also make sure you have the latest graphics drivers and direct x 9.
If that doesnt work. give me a yell, i will see what i can do.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 11:01 PM
SPIOlERS!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!

Hilight below to see them:

Well i just beat the game and Its absolutely awesome. The pacing, storyline, gameplay is all very well done. This game lived up to the hype and surpassed it in my opeinion. It answered some questions, and made many, many more.

Who is the G-man? Who is he working for? Why did he pick you, a lowly scientist? Are your amazing skills innate, or something more special?

We learn that they are from another dimention, but who are the combine really? If you find a secret area in the buggy ride, behind a gas tank you see a image of a combine soldier, a human, and then a ape. The com bine has very apeklike features. So are the other dimention combine humans too? Or are they just using apes to make soldiers?

Who are the weird deformed humans we see while riding in the gurneymobiel (my own name, you will know what im talking about)?

Why are the Xen now helping you?

What happeneined in the years inbetween the black mesa incident and now?

Breen mentioned a host body near the end, who will be the host? will he be the host for something, or will he take something over? Will Alyx survive the explosion?

Where, or when will Gordon end up this time?

Finally, I really wish i could of kept my antlion minions :-)

END SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a few problems with the game. Not giving away any lplot points or details like that, so i took it out of spoiler mode.

The SMG becomes nearly useless as a wespon very early in the game once you recieve the pulse rifle. It takes, many, many, many hits from it to kill a single guard. Nearly a full clup. But not so with the Pulse rifle. A tiny gripe, but anoying.

The Rocket launcher/RPG should be mroe powerfull than it really is. It takes nearly 6 hits from it to take down a strider or helicopter. IT should take far less than that for both. One hit should take out a chopper, and just a few more fora strider. Sure i understand them making the game harder, but come on, they could of tried a bit more realism. :-)

While the game was very linear (not a bad point) i did find myself getting lost sometimes on the larger areas with no clear direction of where to go. Sometimes a little help like a blood splatter that drew you in a certain direction, or a teamate calling out to you "Hey whats this?" or "Over here!". You get the idea.

Finally i thought that the buggy ride was far too long and should of been shortened a bit. Maybe leave out one or two stretches of it. The part where you have to jump from rock to rock to get away from the antlions slowed the game down alot, but it was still fun to play with the physics.

Finally. I really did wish that there were more physics puzzeles and traps in the game. Yes the physics were used amazingly in the game, and alot too. I just wish some more "Oh cool!" parts were in. Like pulling on a board releases a bunch of rocks on them and other traps like that.

But like ive said. they storyline surpasses many games i have played in a very long time, and its done amazingly well. Watching people talk close up is just amazing with the facial reacxtions and body movememnts. ITs extreamly realistic.

Overall i give it a near perfect 92 out of 99.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-20, 01:02 AM
The SMG becomes nearly useless as a wespon very early in the game once you recieve the pulse rifle. It takes, many, many, many hits from it to kill a single guard. Nearly a full clup. But not so with the Pulse rifle. A tiny gripe, but anoying.

The Rocket launcher/RPG should be mroe powerfull than it really is. It takes nearly 6 hits from it to take down a strider or helicopter. IT should take far less than that for both. One hit should take out a chopper, and just a few more fora strider. Sure i understand them making the game harder, but come on, they could of tried a bit more realism. :-)

Figures, since you used cheats to finish Far Cry :lol: . You basically have to empty a minimum of one round of rifle fire to take down one mutated tridgen, in the event you actually get it with most of your shots, which usually doesn't happen. Whereas two slaps from that extremely annoying creature kill you, assuming you have full health and full armor. Talk about minor gripes :D

Sever
2004-Nov-20, 01:15 AM
I tried reintslling the drivers, but messed up and it won't reconize them. I'll have to try again. I also need a VGA Controller driver or something, can't find any though. The game took four hours to install on my computer, what happens if I have to register the CD key again? Its already registered?

SKY
2004-Nov-20, 04:10 AM
I tried reintslling the drivers, but messed up and it won't reconize them. I'll have to try again. I also need a VGA Controller driver or something, can't find any though. The game took four hours to install on my computer, what happens if I have to register the CD key again? Its already registered?

Wow, with all the joking around we've done about computers being better than consols and vis versa, I feel like resting my case now :P .

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 05:58 AM
4 hours? didnt take even close to that long on me. half hour max. The decoding they did took another half hour, but thats it.

Hmm... I would ask their tech support on this one.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 06:01 AM
Added: you should get a e-mail and popup saying the game is registered to your steam account. So do not worry. At worst, explain it to their tech support. they will help you out. Don't worry. Reinstall the drivers, make sure they are correct for your system. Get the latest Direct X and if that does not work. Go online to their tech support and see if its a common problem.

Relax. You will work it out. :-)

Sever
2004-Nov-20, 07:08 AM
Added: you should get a e-mail and popup saying the game is registered to your steam account. So do not worry. At worst, explain it to their tech support. they will help you out. Don't worry. Reinstall the drivers, make sure they are correct for your system. Get the latest Direct X and if that does not work. Go online to their tech support and see if its a common problem.

Relax. You will work it out. :-)

I got the latest Direct X, but installing the drivers is proving to be a pain and I can't find the drivers for the VGA thingie.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-20, 10:25 AM
YES, YES, YEEEEEEEEEEEES HAHAHAHAHA I got it!

:lol:

Sorry for the outburst, it's out of my system now :D

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-20, 03:57 PM

I didn't use the SMG when i got it as it is far too inacurate to kill a grunt at a distance where as the pistol i could take them down with two shots. So i used the SMG for the flying chainsaws basicly as spray and pray.

I would agree on the RPG though it really sucks, i would think the shotgun would be better at shooting down the choppers atleast they couldn't hit the rockets then. The one you get attacked with on the buggy mission i took down with one of the explosive barrels and the grav gun not the rocket launcher as they wouldn't hit :evil:

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-20, 04:01 PM
Oh and as for HL3 (this may be covered later in the game i dont know yet) at the very start when you get outside listen to the old dude on the speaker screen and he starts talking about the combine allowing people to "live forever" so maybe that means we could have a HL10 without Gordon using a hazmat zimmer frame to get around :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 04:29 PM
Electro: The shotgun will take out a chainsaw in one hit, but it wastes ammo that could be used for other things. Use the grav gun when you get it (after i got the grav gun, it was very rare that i got hit by them ), or the crowbar.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love playing with the super gravity gun that you get later on in the game. Picking people up and killing others with their limp body is just too much fun. :-)

Tranquility
2004-Nov-20, 05:30 PM
Hehe playing with the physics in the game is loads of fun. When I first arrived in the train station i started picking up boxes and throwing them at the guards, and they'd come running after me but I would run away a bit faster. I make it a point to smash each of them with a crowbar because they were so annoying in that first level :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 05:59 PM
If you throw stuff at the random citizens they get mad at you. Its hilarious.

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-21, 05:56 AM
You guys should be salesmen...

I just bought HALF-LIFE 2 and am installing it now.... =D>

I will give my full review, if I don't get banned before I'm able to! #-o

Tranquility
2004-Nov-24, 06:14 PM
Valve strikes at the leet haxx0rs :lol:

Valve suspends 20,000 Steam accounts (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/23/news_6113916.html).

Humphrey
2004-Nov-24, 06:34 PM
Saw that. HeHe. Serves those bums right. :-)
I think Valve has found one of the best ways to combat Hackers so far. It's not perfect, but its by far better than anything so far.

Dang. im trying to find a code to use the super gravity gun in the regular game, but it seems that they dont alloow you to use certain wepons in certain levels not intended for them.

P.S. Codename: Gordon is kind of fun to play for a hour. :-)

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-24, 08:17 PM
Saw that. HeHe. Serves those bums right. :-)
I think Valve has found one of the best ways to combat Hackers so far. It's not perfect, but its by far better than anything so far.

Dang. im trying to find a code to use the super gravity gun in the regular game, but it seems that they dont alloow you to use certain wepons in certain levels not intended for them.

P.S. Codename: Gordon is kind of fun to play for a hour. :-)

I don't agree with copy protection especialy to how its getting now where it is becoming malware, but i do agree with anti-piracy. I think valve has got it spot on. I currently have HL2 installed on my computer and it is also on my brothers this breaks no laws and we purchased the game. It would be nice to both be able to play it at the same time and i currently have 8 unfinished games on my computer (would be 9 but i finished anachronox :D ).

I have to say anyone who got their steam acount suspended diserves it. Sending your details to the company that your trying to rob :roll:

Super gravity gun??? you just spoilt the whole game!!! :cry:
Only joking i've already seen it :)

Sever
2004-Nov-25, 01:14 AM
Well, I've got it running...
(Those manhacks are annoying!!).

BAroxMysox
2004-Nov-25, 02:56 AM
Yeah. I never thought I could hate anything more in a game. They are useful for magnum target practice though.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-25, 03:22 AM
Once you get the Grav gun they are a bare neusance. Easy to dispatch them with the main feature and secondary.

Otherwise i found a combination of pistor and crowbar work well. (but i have been abel to ese them to kill bad guys for me by running inbetween them. :-)

Morrolan
2004-Nov-25, 03:26 AM
does anyone here also have the stutter after a new level loads? also it seems as if level loading takes longer as you progress in the game.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-25, 03:28 AM
It's a known bug. Steam just patched today for me, so im not sure if that fixed it. My system did not have it, but Gamespot reported that some have been encountering it. I would go to the main HL2 website and see if any patches have appeared, or fixes for it.

Easiest way i figure it to update your sound drivers and see what happens.

Morrolan
2004-Nov-25, 03:30 AM
ah, will do, thanks! :)

mid
2004-Nov-25, 10:38 AM
There are multiple triggers to the original stutter problem. The patch fixes most of them (by forcing a texture load at the beginning of each level, rather than during it), but there is apparently still a problem with the current NVidia texture management system that can cause it to suffer after a while; Gabe Newell explained that they're working with NVidia on a solution to this, and that in the meantime setting your AGP aperture to 256Mb should help.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-25, 11:44 AM
Here's a nice little tweak. This will reduce HL2 startup time by not loading the background which you see when you fire up the game.

Find the file valve.rc, and put "//" without the quotes at the beginning of the line which says "startupmenu".

Morrolan
2004-Nov-25, 12:34 PM
There are multiple triggers to the original stutter problem. The patch fixes most of them (by forcing a texture load at the beginning of each level, rather than during it), but there is apparently still a problem with the current NVidia texture management system that can cause it to suffer after a while; Gabe Newell explained that they're working with NVidia on a solution to this, and that in the meantime setting your AGP aperture to 256Mb should help.

well, i'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro so that's not it. will see what the patch brings.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-25, 09:36 PM
Once you get the Grav gun they are a bare neusance. Easy to dispatch them with the main feature and secondary.

Otherwise i found a combination of pistor and crowbar work well. (but i have been abel to ese them to kill bad guys for me by running inbetween them. :-)

Oh no no thats not the way to use them [-X

Grab them with secondary aim for an enemy or a line of them and fire. I found this out while your going through nova prospect, really helps cut them down :D

I'm getting near the end now cant wait to get my hands on the super grav gun. It looks well fun 8)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-26, 12:22 AM

Oh no no thats not the way to use them [-X

Grab them with secondary aim for an enemy or a line of them and fire. I found this out while your going through nova prospect, really helps cut them down :D

I'm getting near the end now cant wait to get my hands on the super grav gun. It looks well fun 8)

Have you grabbed one then run around holding onto it with a maniacle laugth and cutting down everything you see? :-)

2004-Nov-26, 07:38 PM

Valve suspends 20,000 Steam accounts (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/23/news_6113916.html).

This should be good for a laugh. He got himself pwned by Valve. (http://punkassgamer.com/public/files/old%20****/valvepwned1.JPG)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-27, 02:17 AM

This should be good for a laugh. He got himself pwned by Valve. (http://punkassgamer.com/public/files/old%20****/valvepwned1.JPG)Hahahhahahahahahahahaha!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats awesome. I love that. :-)

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-27, 05:12 PM

This should be good for a laugh. He got himself pwned by Valve. (http://punkassgamer.com/public/files/old%20****/valvepwned1.JPG)Hahahhahahahahahahahaha!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats awesome. I love that. :-)

19 times with different addresses... I thought humans were supposed to be getting smarter 8-[

SKY
2004-Nov-28, 09:52 PM
*edited: not sure of link content.* :oops:

2004-Nov-29, 05:49 PM
Can't get to it. Apparently the site is categorized as "Sex" by our proxy. :-/ So what was it?

Tranquility
2004-Nov-29, 05:59 PM
Yeah same here.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-29, 06:12 PM
Flash image of a guy trying to install HL2 and the procedures to do it. They exagertate a tiny bit. Like including birth records and blood samples. :-)

Tranquility
2004-Nov-29, 06:53 PM
Well while we're playing this awesome game, might as well poke fun at the direct competitor and attention seeker, Halo 2, and XBox owners. But mainly, it's poking fun at our fellow Canadian gamers :D .

How the Halo 2 Canadian version differs from the US version :

1. The guns are registered (but not very well).
2. Injured players get publicly funded health care.
3. Computer players apologize when you shoot them.
4. "Cuba" level is unlocked.
5. Tim Hortons product placement.
6. Two clans named "Roughriders."
7. Annoying players can be kicked "oot" of multi-player mode.
8. "Melting Pot" level renamed "Cultural Mosaic."
9. Officially refuses invitations to join U.S.-led multi-player campaigns, then quietly helps behind the scenes without telling anyone.
10. Price tag: $59.99.

SKY
2004-Nov-29, 08:41 PM
Can't get to it. Apparently the site is categorized as "Sex" by our proxy. :-/

:o

It seems to be a joke site with funny videos and while some are a little edgy, I didn't notice any nudity on the site. I made sure to check the site first otherwise I wouldn't have posted it here.

Sorry about that. If anyone notices something that is inappropiate in the link, let me know and I will remove the link. 8-[

Kebsis
2004-Nov-29, 08:52 PM
That Steam crap really sucks.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-29, 08:55 PM
That Steam crap really sucks.Why? i think its a really good idea. You having problems?

Kebsis
2004-Nov-30, 03:58 AM
Yeah, it took me like two days to install the thing...for awhile I was worried that someone had stolen my CD-Key (in which case you're SOL and just spent 50 bucks on five coasters, according to Steam's FAQ).

And Steam automatically tries to install updates when it starts...I hate that.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-30, 10:23 AM
For those who have been following the lawsuit between Valve and VU Games, here is the latest:

Valve prevails in cyber-cafe case, more motions to follow (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/29/news_6114102.html).

mid
2004-Nov-30, 10:32 AM
Most people I know with the game have spent more time getting the install to run than I've spent playing half the recent games in my collection. I've pretty much decided that I'm not sufficiently desperate to play HL2 to bother, now. Maybe if a console release comes along in the future.

captain swoop
2004-Nov-30, 11:54 AM
Far Cry! Far Cry! Far Cry!

And Thief/Thief 2 are still my faves of all time.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-30, 01:04 PM
Far Cry! Far Cry! Far Cry!

Amen to that!! Best first person shooter ever created, hands down. I'm close to finishing it now. I just finished the River level after you steal the PDA from the catacombs. Gamespot's game guide said you shouldn't try to go through the river as instructed as you'll be killed. Bleh! I took the boat, killed a couple of mercs on a patrol boat, stole it, and mowed through. It was pretty fun, and actually took me less than a normal level in Far Cry takes at a time. Gonna take a break from it though. I just can't play 2 levels in a row in this very challenging and immersive game.

Kebsis
2004-Nov-30, 01:19 PM
To add, I also was planning on playing Counterstrike with my brother (whose computer is upstairs, connected through a LAN) but Steam made that all but impossible.

Tranquility
2004-Dec-01, 04:20 PM
Folks, it just got better!!

http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=364

Yes, Valve released a multiplayer deathmatch update for HL2. Restart Steam to apply the update. You also start with the gravity gun.

I'm off to throw some barrels at some people :D

Cheers,

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-01, 04:32 PM
Folks, it just got better!!

http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=364

Yes, Valve released a multiplayer deathmatch update for HL2. Restart Steam to apply the update. You also start with the gravity gun.

I'm off to throw some barrels at some people :D

Cheers,

Its fun :D

The Grav Gun is great to play with online you can use it to great effect. Use radiators, duck and they can't hit you :D

Just be careful of the explosive barrels and revolvers :(

Tranquility
2004-Dec-01, 04:50 PM
Yeah I was just playing a little bit now, and those deathmatch games (when there's minimal server lag) are A LOT of fun. There's something inherently cool in throwing one of those explosive barrels and getting yourself killed but also killing your opponent :D

electromagneticpulse
2004-Dec-01, 10:10 PM
There's something inherently cool in throwing one of those explosive barrels and getting yourself killed but also killing your opponent :D
I think its just you knowing theres someone at the other side going "Nooo not by a ******* barrel".

I think someones going to have to get the gravity gun into team fortress as it would just be really cool once teams got good like CS source. If anyone saw the old CS clan video's where they would have towers of people running in rows and the top one jumps onto something impossible like a light fixture. Those are really cool vids :)

Northern49
2004-Dec-06, 03:41 PM
well, think.... "my eeeh ehhh employers..." who are his employers?

what was the portal? remember that part where you were frozen in time by the teleporter? hmm? thats what it was. gordon didnt age a bit. he was frozen in time until the right time came. "wake up mr.freeman"

that alien that spoke english... a vorigon? (dont exactly know how to spell it) he said "we serve the same." who is it that he serves that you do also? The G-man. So, is G-man human? or a vorigon in disguise?

and a hard to answer question... what is g-man's plans for you? save earth from complete destruction? or will it turn out that g-man is actually evil and all you have been doing is worsening the condition of mankind's survival? Well, we'll see... HALF-LIFE 3, 2008! YEAH!

Northern49
2004-Dec-06, 03:43 PM
one last thing. ITS NOT GOING TO BE CALLED TFC:SOURCE!! GOD!! damn noobs... it will be called TF2.... god.......... i hate noobs

Northern49
2004-Dec-06, 03:46 PM
and some other questions... why does it seem like all the different species of alien hate eachother? are they not from the same planet? were they teleported to earth while a war was taking place on xen? or are they all just stupid animals from xen like a deer or a donkey?

Tranquility
2004-Dec-13, 08:52 PM
lol you guys should really read this article :D

Valve bans 10,000 Steam accounts for gravity gun abuse (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/12/valve_bans_steam_accounts.html).

The gaming community was outraged. One upset user posted, "They put this cool weapon in their game and then ban us for using it. I'm never buying another game from Valve until Half-Life 3 comes out."

:lol:

BTW, I haven't beaten the game yet. I put HL2 aside for a bit till I finished Far Cry, because starting up again a couple days ago. I just got out of Ravenholm and going to start off to meet Alyx again in Nova Prospekt. About to embark on another vehicle adventure apparently. Will try to finish it over the coming weekend to make way for Battle for Middle Earth.

mid
2004-Dec-14, 09:47 AM
Well, I finally took part one of the plunge at the weekend, and installed Steam (but not ordered HL2 yet). Handing it the CD Key to my disc of Half-Life (and then getting confused as to why it wasn't interested in my key for Opposing Force until I realised that you get it free anyway now), things didn't go too badly.

It took a bit of persuasion to start using more bandwidth on the download than a mere dialup account, but I got there eventually. Boy, Day Of Defeat is hard!

Tranquility
2004-Dec-19, 04:19 PM
W00t! I beat the game!

Those last two levels are a treat. The Follow Freeman level is great and even surpasses some levels in multiplayer-oriented single player games like Call of Duty in its craziness. I don't wanna spoil it any further, but those last two levels are easily the greatest fun experience I've had in any game to date.

SPOILER:

$
BTW is anyone else a little bummed at the ending? I don't find it disappointing because it just means that we should wait for Half Life 3, and I can't get enough Valve, but doesn't the fact that you destroyed the generator (read: the entire citadel) meen that Alyx and Eli Vance, as well as Barney and Dog who were also in the vicinity, must have been annihilated? I've personally come to really care about these characters because they're so REAL. I certainly hope that by some mechanism, that doesn't leave us feeling cheated, that these folks made it. $

Tranquility
2004-Dec-19, 04:22 PM
Oh and incidentally, check out this ultra cool mod:

Driveable Striders (http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/;14603)! :D

Sever
2004-Dec-19, 11:55 PM
I can't beat Breen...
Ravenholme is awesome, cutting zombies in two is awesome...

Tranquility
2004-Dec-20, 05:45 AM
I can't beat Breen...
Ravenholme is awesome, cutting zombies in two is awesome...

SPOILER:

If this the last stage in the game, you need to just keep pulling those large electric balls from the generators on your sides with the gravity gun and firing them at the generator. The boards on the sides of the generator fall off, and you have to keep firing at it until it's destroyed before Breen can teleport himself.

PyroFreak
2005-Jan-07, 06:34 PM
Just finished the game. I seriously recommend it. Loads of fun, and the multiplayer games are a blast as well. Plus, the mods they will come out with in the future are gunna be great as well.

Question: I never finished the first game, so I don't know the whole story, but who is the Gman and what does he do? Since I've already finished Half life 2, and probably won't get around to finishing the first one hear soon, go ahead and spoiler the thing if you have to, and tell me what in the world is going on.

Tranquility
2005-Jan-08, 08:08 AM
Question: I never finished the first game, so I don't know the whole story, but who is the Gman and what does he do? Since I've already finished Half life 2, and probably won't get around to finishing the first one hear soon, go ahead and spoiler the thing if you have to, and tell me what in the world is going on.

Some mild spoilers for those who haven't finished HL2.

No-one knows the exact identity of the G-man. He appeared to you at the end of HL1 after you defeated Nihilanth (an alien from the planet Xen, which was the planet where the Vortigaunts are from) and basically gave you the choice of either working for him, or die. Since you're not Gordon Freeman's ghost in HL2, we assume you chose to work for him. Evidently he put you into some kind of trance-like state or sleep (if you listen to the broadcast of Dr. Breen in the Nova Prospekt level, he says that Gordon Freeman was in a state in the past few years that "precluded further development of his skills"). Since the G-man obviously has massive teleportation and trans-dimensional abilities, rumor has it that he is the representative of a more benevolent group of alien races that opposes the Combine. The Combine go from planet to planet, breeding hybrid soldiers that combine the best genes of the Combine and the best of genes of the conquered species, and it might be the case that the G-man is a representative of a group of races opposing this movement.

But that's just Half-Life lore :wink:

Kebsis
2005-Jan-08, 11:43 AM
and some other questions... why does it seem like all the different species of alien hate eachother? are they not from the same planet? were they teleported to earth while a war was taking place on xen? or are they all just stupid animals from xen like a deer or a donkey?

The combine soldiers are, if I'm not mistaken, human-alien hybrids. The face-hugger sort of things and other weird stuff are sort of like wild animals from the alien world. So they'll attack anything.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-08, 09:29 PM
Uhh... Little questions from a game n00b:

1. Is Freeman wearing some sort of exoskeletal suit?

2. If this is supposed to be an alien invasion story, where'd the zombies come from?

azazul
2005-Jan-08, 09:32 PM
The zombies are from the headcrabs that try to jump on you. When they find a host body, they turn into those zombies.

azazul
2005-Jan-08, 09:43 PM
I'm just coming in on the end of this but it appears that some of these questions are coming from people who did not play the original half-life. So I will give an overview of it first.

The first half-life deals with teleportation. But apparently we cannot teleport without going through an alien world which is named Xen. During this process a link is established between Xen and earth so the aliens just start coming through. This world is where the headcrabs, houndeyes, bullsquids, and some others come from. Now half-life 2 introduces beings not in the first. They are the combine which appear to be mechanical in some respects. So to answer some questions, yes the aliens fight against each other because they are from different planets. Freeman does wear a suit, but it doesn't seem to be exoskeletal. It just seems to be extraordinarily advanced. As in it gives him morphine when needed. It lets him know when close to death, when in radiation, as well as other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

Tranquility
2005-Jan-09, 03:59 AM
1. Is Freeman wearing some sort of exoskeletal suit?

2. If this is supposed to be an alien invasion story, where'd the zombies come from?

1. He's wearing an HEV suit that protects him from radiation and provides some sort of armor, as well as provides some other "emergency measures" like for example an antidote against a particular type of poison.

2. The zombies are humans, but headcrabs managed to "mate" with their heads and turned them into mindless zombies. The headcrabs themselves came to Earth through the portal that was opened in Half-life 1 between Earth and the planet Xen, which the forces of the Combine had already invaded.