PDA

View Full Version : light pollution front page in Minneapolis Star/Tribune paper

novaderrik
2004-Nov-15, 04:30 AM
thought a few of you might be interested in this

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5083700.html

on the front page of the biggest sunday paper in the area is an article about light pollution and what some local cities are doing about it. very good read, and very shocking to me to see an article about something like this in the paper at all, let alone on the cover.
one of the editors must not be able to see the stars from their house or something..

Celestial Mechanic
2004-Nov-15, 04:40 AM
[Snip!]One of the editors must not be able to see the stars from their house or something...
Well, if that's what it takes ... :D

Evan
2004-Nov-15, 06:30 AM
Well, it seems that all it takes is a single letter from a concerned public citizen. I had from the engineering company that is responsible for the lighting of the new WalMart store here a response that indicates that all lighting will meet International Dark Sky standards.

pghnative
2004-Nov-15, 02:08 PM
Well, it seems that all it takes is a single letter from a concerned public citizen. I had from the engineering company that is responsible for the lighting of the new WalMart store here a response that indicates that all lighting will meet International Dark Sky standards.Surely you're not claiming that it was you're letter that resulted in Walmart choosing to meet the Dark Sky standards???

I suspect that it takes many letters from many concerned public citizens.

Evan
2004-Nov-15, 06:35 PM
According to a very good friend of mine who is the vice president of the Prince George Chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society that is exactly all it takes. A single letter to point them in the right direction is all that is often needed. When they look into it they discover they can save the client money.

Here is how the opening line of the letter I received reads:

Dear Sir:

In response to your request we will provide special parking lighting as follows:

<added>

The key thing is to suggest it at the design stage. The timing has to be just right. If too early the idea is lost. If too late then the design is frozen and won't be changed. I got lucky with the timing. I also suspect that they listened to me because I am a retailer in this city with a storefront (which I pointed out to them). They need as many people on thier side as possible since there is a legal challenge before the courts from a group of citizens who live near the proposed site of the Walmart.