PDA

View Full Version : BA in Ladyhawke

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-15, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure who recalls this fantasy movie from 1985. It starred Matthew Broderick as a young thief, Mouse, wh is drawn into the plight of cursed lovers played by Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. By day she is a Hawk, and by night he becomes a wolf, always together, always apart far as long as there is day and night.

Anyways to the BadAstronomy. :) They show the Moon a number of times thrughout the movie, it clearly being Gibbous in every shot, and yet the event that allows both the lovers to be together to confront their nemesis is a Solar Eclipse which of course can only occur at the time of the New Moon. Doh!

ToSeek
2004-Nov-15, 03:15 PM
I remember Michelle Pfeiffer being incredibly gorgeous in that movie! ;)

papageno
2004-Nov-15, 03:24 PM
I remember Michelle Pfeiffer being incredibly gorgeous in that movie! ;)

I agree: she was lovely. *five minutes pause with dreamy eyes*

I am a bit surprised that somebody (*cough* Phantomwolf *cough*) was actually looking at the moon.

Doe, John
2004-Nov-16, 12:50 AM
I remember Michelle Pfeiffer being incredibly gorgeous in that movie! ;)Ok, so name a movie that Michelle *sigh* Pfeiffer was not incredibly goregeous in. On second thought, don't, some fantasies shouldn't be debunked. :)

Makgraf
2004-Nov-16, 01:23 AM
The main "Bad" thing I remember about that movie (other than the terrible '80's music that played during the fight scenes) was that Van Helsingesque crossbow that could shoot an a seemingly unlimated number of shots without reloading.

Ilya
2004-Nov-16, 04:45 AM
plight of cursed lovers played by Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer. By day she is a Hawk, and by night he becomes a wolf, always together, always apart far as long as there is day and night.

I may have a particularly dirty mind, but I would say this particular curse is not a complete barrier to their consummation. At least not at night.

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-16, 06:17 AM
The main "Bad" thing I remember about that movie (other than the terrible '80's music that played during the fight scenes) was that Van Helsingesque crossbow that could shoot an a seemingly unlimated number of shots without reloading.

Actually it was just a double crossbow, so it could be fired twice.

And Michelle wasn't in the shots with the Moon in it so there wasn't anything distracting from the BA. ;)

AstroSmurf
2004-Nov-16, 03:10 PM
The crossbow was pretty ok; I was a lot more bugged about the sword, and THE HELMETS! *screams and runs around in circles*. They reminded me of some sort of hockey helmet, with a chromed plastic visor. The "chainmails" were also made from some sort of chromed plastic, and looked just awful. Basically, the production designer should be forced to take a 6-month course in medieval culture.

But other than that, this is a great movie - and yes, Michelle Pfeiffer was absolutely stunning. Still is :)

Makgraf
2004-Nov-17, 12:50 AM

Actually it was just a double crossbow, so it could be fired twice.

And Michelle wasn't in the shots with the Moon in it so there wasn't anything distracting from the BA. ;)
:oops:
Well I saw that movie about 10 years ago and don't really remember very much from it. I just have this memory of him riding in and shooting like 4 times but I guess he must've reloaded at some point in there (I guess my memory could've been contaminated with Van Helsing who's eponymous hero actually does have some kind of chain crossbow).

Morrolan
2004-Nov-17, 02:06 AM
I remember Michelle Pfeiffer being incredibly gorgeous in that movie! ;)Ok, so name a movie that Michelle *sigh* Pfeiffer was not incredibly goregeous in. On second thought, don't, some fantasies shouldn't be debunked. :)

too late: Grease 2.... :lol:

gethen
2004-Nov-17, 02:28 AM
I liked that movie, in spite of any BA. What I remember is that the horse the knight rode in the final fight in the church actually looked like the kind of big, powerful animal that a fully-armoured knight would have had to ride, (a palfrey?) instead of one of those dinky, mincing ponies knights usually ride in the movies. So...bad astronomy, good equestrianship?

Roving Philosopher
2004-Nov-17, 03:44 PM
I liked that movie, in spite of any BA. What I remember is that the horse the knight rode in the final fight in the church actually looked like the kind of big, powerful animal that a fully-armoured knight would have had to ride, (a palfrey?) instead of one of those dinky, mincing ponies knights usually ride in the movies. So...bad astronomy, good equestrianship?

The horse was actually one of the things I didn't like about the movie (the other is the horrible soundtrack). It was a great horse as long as it stood still. But it seemed to have a very unnatural gait, like a show horse. Bugged the heck out of me...

gethen
2004-Nov-17, 08:52 PM
Well, put a large horse (http://www.knightforhire.com/percheron.htm) in iron shoes and then make him walk on a stone floor like the one in that cathedral, and his gait will be unnatural looking. I didn't think the horse looked unusual at all until I saw it in the church.

Roving Philosopher
2004-Nov-17, 09:26 PM
I noticed it anytime the horse was moving at a reasonably relaxed pace, even when outdoors. It struck me as being like watching someone marching as opposed to just walking naturally. The forelegs seem to raise up very high.

swansont
2004-Nov-17, 10:12 PM
The horse was actually one of the things I didn't like about the movie (the other is the horrible soundtrack).

Enough already! I happen to like The Alan Parsons Project, including that soundtrack.

Roy Batty
2004-Nov-18, 04:52 PM
The horse was actually one of the things I didn't like about the movie (the other is the horrible soundtrack).

Enough already! I happen to like The Alan Parsons Project, including that soundtrack.

Me too :) 8)

calliarcale
2004-Nov-22, 10:27 PM

Me too :) 8)

Me three!

Of course, strictly speaking, APP did not produce the soundtrack. It was written by Andrew Powell, who frequently did orchestrations for the Alan Parsons projects. A significant difference. ;)

(I love Powell's stuff, by the way. The Alan Parsons albums where he contributed material are definitely among the best.)

Sir-Talen
2004-Dec-06, 11:10 AM

The horse was a Friesian stallion, one of the breeds actually used by medieval knights to carry them into battle. "Palfrey" is actaully a term for common saddlehorses, especially light, docile animals for women.

The prancing about Goliath does in the movie is probably the result of deliberate training. Essentially Rutger's character was showing off his horse's l887 moves. :)