PDA

View Full Version : New Apollo 11 DVD

jrkeller
2002-Jun-11, 04:54 AM
Today I purchased the following,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1896522858/qid%3D1023769060/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/102-5560601-9696938

and watched the entire video, some parts three or four times. What the editor/author has done, is taken the TV video, the 16mm camera footage and still pictures and combined them together. It looks like the picture in a picture TV stuff. So what you have in two different live action shots in the same frame. When one of the astronauts takes a picture, the still photo pops up. It may sound a bit hokey, but it is really cool.

I think after watching this video, all but the most hardcore HBs will still hold on the their beliefs. Here are some things that hit me right away.

1) Buzz asks for the camera settings. The shutter speed was 1/60, but I couldn't hear the f-stop.

2) In the 16mm film, you can see Buzz taking his famous boot and boot imprint photographs. It's quite easy to see that the camera isn't mounted to his chest, but that he's holding in in his hand and guessing where the shot should be.

3) Buzz's hot spot. In the TV video, you can see Buzz descending the ladder while Neil is taken his picture sequence (The still pictures pop up). What is interesting is that the TV camera is approximately 160 degrees from Armstrong. In other words, you can see the front of his suit. The one thing you don't see a spot light. I guess Dr. Groves is wrong again.

4) You can see the flag being set-up. Once the crew leaves the flag alone, it never moves for like an hour. It's very spooky just seeing the flag not moving.

5) You see Neil and Buzz both jumping up the ladder. It's quite clear that it is not spliced in footage of a reversed jumped. The motions are all wrong.

The accompaning book has a lot of nice details on the lunar surface exploration. There is a really nice section on the cameras, f-stops, shutter speeds, type of films used and recommendations for future mission.

One final thing to add. The author makes the following comments in his introduction, "The still image camera employed by Aldrin and Armstrong on the lunar surface was using a very narrow aperature (f-stop) combined with short shutter speeds due to the intensely bright lunar terrain. This is well documented here and explains to anyone but a total idiot why there are no stars apparent in any of the lunar photographs."

FYI, the author Robert Godwin is an Englishman living in Canada, so there's not even a US affliation. But I guess some HB could say that Canada is just the 51st US state.

His bio.

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/2002/jan/m13-007.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jrkeller on 2002-06-11 00:56 ]</font>

Donnie B.
2002-Jun-11, 02:11 PM
Ordered, along with Reynolds' "Apollo: The Epic Journey to the Moon".

THanks for the pointer.

R.A.F.
2002-Jun-20, 05:14 PM
Just received Apollo 11 Mission Reports (volume 3) from Amazon.com and would like to thank the poster who clued me in on it's existence. The DVD that accompany's this book is FANTASTIC and a welcome addition to this space nut's library. I highly recommend it.

traztx
2002-Jun-20, 06:51 PM
I agree. I got a copy too and am very pleased with the DvD.

The book has some great info in it, but they mention a lot of names and processes I am unfamiliar with. I wish it had a diagram of the rocket with the modules exploded and labeled. Also I don't really understand "glycol" but it might be explained further in the book.

Is there a DvD set available with uncut footage from the later missions? I still have some credit on my card... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

--Tommy
http://www.tommyraz.com

Andrew
2002-Jun-20, 07:20 PM
"I wish it had a diagram of the rocket with the modules exploded and labeled"

These of any help?:

Apollo diagrams/drawings (http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/diagrams/apollo.html)

traztx
2002-Jun-20, 08:45 PM
On 2002-06-20 15:20, Andrew wrote:
"I wish it had a diagram of the rocket with the modules exploded and labeled"

These of any help?:

Apollo diagrams/drawings (http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/diagrams/apollo.html)

Nice! I'll print them and staple to the book for additional reference /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
--Tommy

Donnie B.
2002-Jun-21, 12:19 AM
The DVD was major deja vu for me. As soon as I got the package from Amazon I popped it in the palyer, and was glued to the TV for 2-1/4 hours, just exactly as I was on July 20, 1969. I remember Houston's periodic calls to Collins in the CSM as he passed out of and back into the farside radio blackouts, and the frustration I felt during the long intervals when the astronauts were out of the camera shot, or hidden behind the lander.

The addition of footage from the movie camera (shooting out Aldrin's window at 1fps for most of the EVA) was a nice touch, as was the animation in the landing sequence.

All in all, it was wonderful, awesome, and just as I remembered it. The only thing that was different -- back in '69 I sat in front of the TV for a long, long time after they reentered the LM. The DVD cuts off at that point... though I suppose I could freeze-frame it to get the same effect /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Durnavich
2002-Jun-21, 05:02 AM
Buzz asks for the camera settings. The shutter speed was 1/60, but I couldn't hear the f-stop.

f/2. This was the setting for the 16 mm camera to film Neil in shadow coming down the ladder, etc.

This is my dream DVD. I always wanted to see the TV, 16 mm footage, and still photography interwoven together like this. I don't know what other audio channels are available, but it would be neat to switch to a version that has the Mission Control loop. (One of the later Apollo mission video's I have has this as its audio track.)

2002-Jun-21, 10:40 AM
<a name="20020621.2:28"> page 20020621.2:28 aka REVERSE
On 2002-06-20 20:19, Donnie B. wrote: To: HUb'iSH
Prior to the ASR-7's deployment {to withdraw from 4 Miles FROM 0 = 100,000Kt}
believe what you want Holliwood made a 16mm Film of the Ship
on our way WEST we{the crew} watched it over & over
Finally it was agreed that running the film
backwards [WAS BY FAR] the prefered direction
{i don't think DvD's can RUN backwards} goingon anyway
the one sceen that was shown so many times that the film blackend on the sequence
was the fall into the water [and BACKWARD the rising up "FROM THE SPLASH" 2:36 A.M. PST

2002-Jun-21, 10:50 AM
On 2002-06-21 06:40, HUb' wrote: To
<a name="20020621.2:39"> page 20020621.2:39 aka 2REVERSE
Watching the flick [IN REVERSE] became so
contraversial it was finally ban from being even seen
That created even greater controversy and
finally some recourse was made to be able to
watch it [only forward] and only on Sundays
some agreement like that. I do wish to make the
point here taht it was not the actors or the fall.
It was the REVERSE SPLASH that seamed to bring
out the "do it over agian" [UNTILL THE FILM was dark]
really talk about contar-VERSey wooo WE.

David Hall
2002-Jun-21, 02:18 PM
This looks like an incredible series of books. There are editions for quite a few of the missions. This could get expensive real quick:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/620/paperback/ref=ref=pd_sim_series/002-8262624-0677617

Note, they mistakenly label Apollo 11 volume one as volume 2. I can't believe they need 3 volumes for the one mission. What could they have in there?

I'm thinking about ordering also, and I wonder if it's worth it to get all three volumes of the A-ll mission. Only vol. 3 comes with the DVD. Does anyone here have the first two and can you recommend them? How about any of the other volumes? I wonder if they or any of the others will be re-released with DVD's too.

ToSeek
2002-Jun-22, 12:33 AM
On 2002-06-21 10:18, David Hall wrote:
This looks like an incredible series of books. There are editions for quite a few of the missions. This could get expensive real quick:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/620/paperback/ref=ref=pd_sim_series/002-8262624-0677617

Note, they mistakenly label Apollo 11 volume one as volume 2. I can't believe they need 3 volumes for the one mission. What could they have in there?

I'm thinking about ordering also, and I wonder if it's worth it to get all three volumes of the A-ll mission. Only vol. 3 comes with the DVD. Does anyone here have the first two and can you recommend them? How about any of the other volumes? I wonder if they or any of the others will be re-released with DVD's too.

If you're a spaceflight geek like me, the Mission Reports series is great, if a drain on the finances. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

A11, Vol. 1 contains the Press Kit, the Pre-Flight Mission Operations Report, the Post-Flight Director's Mission Operations Report, and a transcript of the Post-Flight Crew Press Conference. The CD contains all the photos taken during Apollo 11 as well as the two NASA promotional movies made about the flight.

A11, Vol. 2 is a comparatively slender volume (168 pp.) containing just the Technical Crew Debriefing (but that's my favorite part!). The CD contains an interview with Aldrin and the entire television broadcast of the moonwalk.

Most of the other volumes typically contain at least the Press Kit, a couple of pre-flight and post-flight documents, and the crew debriefing (except for the Apollo 9 one, which seriously annoyed me). All of them come with a CD, which generally contains most or all of the photos taken during the mission as well as the NASA publicity film about the mission.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-06-21 20:35 ]</font>

jrkeller
2002-Jun-24, 03:17 AM
You can try their website for more info

http://www.cgpublishing.com/apogee.htm

2002-Jun-24, 03:13 PM
<a name="20020624.7:0"> page 20020624.7:0 aka R Monday
On 2002-06-21 06:50, HUb' wrote: HUb'7
he he
On 2002-06-21 06:40, HUb' wrote: To HUb'6
aka 2REVERSE
-------
Still I have no Answer
CAN THE DvD sequence be run in Reverse?
===========
on my VHS i can press the rewind
while the tape moveing forward
and watch in reverse but at a higher speed
So skipping ahead to the "Burn't Frame"
it mus be the Dirt Plume off the Rover Tire tread.. thread?

traztx
2002-Jun-24, 03:17 PM
On 2002-06-24 11:13, HUb' wrote:
<a name="20020624.7:0"> page 20020624.7:0 aka R Monday
On 2002-06-21 06:50, HUb' wrote: HUb'7
he he
On 2002-06-21 06:40, HUb' wrote: To HUb'6
aka 2REVERSE
-------
Still I have no Answer
CAN THE DvD sequence be run in Reverse?
===========
on my VHS i can press the rewind
while the tape moveing forward
and watch in reverse but at a higher speed
So skipping ahead to the "Burn't Frame"
it mus be the Dirt Plume off the Rover Tire tread.. thread?

Yes. My DvD player was just a $68 box from walmart but it has from 2x to 8x reverse.

2002-Jun-27, 03:33 PM
<a name="20020627.7:2"> page 20020627.7:2 aka REVverse
On 2002-06-24 11:17, traztx wrote: To NOP_00
MY baINdex (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=183&forum=1#LOCKTHRD)
1: Yeah?
2: i'll make some PATHetical
3: remark here about NOT YET having
4: my INDEX page Oregon`IZED YEt
5: make a 1st remark about archetechtre(sp)
6: skipp ahead 20 years or so
7: and just say
8:
9:
10 Yep, thanks for the update
1: I
2: wasnt sure if DvD's would work in reverse
3: So thats a nice piece of data to have
4: Next of course
5: Wheres the controversial
6: Reverse the motion FRAMES {? wheel dust }

Yes. My DvD player was just a $68 box from walmart but it has from 2x to 8x reverse.
7:29 A.M. PST