PDA

View Full Version : Tyneside Cinema Sci-Screen season is showing the Dish

Sticks
2013-Apr-01, 04:53 PM
I put this here because it is education sorts of with regards to astronomy although in a non standard way, for the general public.

I think it is a great idea to use cinemas as ways to popularise science and educate more people in a way that they are more likely to take in

If anyone thinks this should be in another section then I will endeavour to move it

This year our local independent Cinema is running a season called Sci-Screen where an academic introduces an old film and then afterwards they run a Q&A seminar.

If anyone is in the Tyne and Wear region on 25 April 2013 the Sci-Screen film will be The Dish, and it screens at 6pm.

Link (https://www.tynesidecinema.co.uk/whats-on/films/view/sci-screen-the-dish)

The Dish is based on events around the Apollo 11 landings when the Parkes Radio Telescope in Australia brought back the television pictures from the Moon of the first Moon Walk

For the Q&A session afterwards, to quote from the website

Join Dr Andrew Fletcher of the School of Mathematics and Statistics at Newcastle University for this SciScreen, where he will talk about his experiences using the Dish to
map the Milky Way and show some recent data from the Parkes telescope that he and his colleagues are using to study how our galaxy works.

I have my ticket and I hope to be in the Tyneside Bar, just before the showing if anyone can make it.

kmasterdo
2013-Apr-03, 08:54 AM
Thank you for sharing. I've heard of a similar outreach/education programme in several German cities.