PDA

View Full Version : Heart-attack inducing secret weapon

Kebsis
2004-Nov-15, 03:47 PM
A friend of mine insists that he saw a show on the Discovery Channel about a Cold War era weapon that could give someone a heart attack from across the street, silently. He insisted that it probably used 'radiation'.

This sounds pretty whacky. Any idea what he might be talking about?

Humphrey
2004-Nov-15, 03:52 PM
Bah i can do it now. Give me $4 and directions to the nearest McDonalds.

:-P

The only way i coulkd see is either to disable the nerve impulses to the heart, but then again the heart is relatively independent and could beet still.
Other wise you could disable the hearts ability to produce a electric charge. How i have no clue. Chemtrails? :-P

2004-Nov-15, 04:01 PM
Psychic powers of course...Scanners was a documentary? :lol:

frogesque
2004-Nov-15, 04:10 PM
Sounds a bit James Bond-ish to me. We need expert medical opinion here but I think you would be hard pressed to interfere with the heart like that. A directed microwave aimed to cook the brain, possibly but this would have to be a portable piece of kit and somehow I don't see it.

Poisoned Umbrella tips (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2636459.stm), now that's a different matter.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-15, 04:16 PM
Poisoned Umbrella tips (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2636459.stm), now that's a different matter.

The tipe wasn't poisoned, the tip injected a poison laced object. :-)

[nitpickers unite!]

2004-Nov-15, 04:16 PM
Judging from the size of mobile phones back in the eighties, a portable heart-stopper doesn't really sound that likely, does it?

How is it down in Fife just now? I haven't been down that way for a few years.... :D

frogesque
2004-Nov-15, 04:21 PM
Sorry Humphrey :oops: Poetic licence to keep the URL short

(from an insignificant minion who shall remain nameless :wink: )

frogesque
2004-Nov-15, 04:28 PM
Judging from the size of mobile phones back in the eighties, a portable heart-stopper doesn't really sound that likely, does it?

How is it down in Fife just now? I haven't been down that way for a few years.... :D

I'm not so sure, heaving all that weight around all day... :lol:

Keep the lang spoon handy Pete. Fife's cold grey and miserable, the weather's pretty awful too!

Bawheid
2004-Nov-15, 04:36 PM

I'm not so sure, heaving all that weight around all day... :lol:

Keep the lang spoon handy Pete. Fife's cold grey and miserable, the weather's pretty awful too!

That is no way to talk about "a tattered mantle fringed with gold" (http://www.loveofscotland.com/fife.html).

R.A.F.
2004-Nov-15, 04:43 PM
Keep the lang spoon handy...

OK...I'm sorry, but I'm completely clueless as to what you're talking about. :)

frogesque
2004-Nov-15, 05:01 PM
Bawheid wrote:

That is no way to talk about "a tattered mantle fringed with gold".

Yes, but why do all those pictures have clear blue skys? :lol:

R.A.F. wrote:

frogesque wrote:
Keep the lang spoon handy...

OK...I'm sorry, but I'm completely clueless as to what you're talking about.

Old Scot's saying "It tak's a lang spoon tae sup wi' a Fifer" loosely translated as, You need a long spoon to dine with a Fifer, based on the same quote that usually ends with Di'le (Devil).

Fife used to be very remote and insular, the east coast in particular having better links to Viking Scandinavia than overland with the main part of Scotland and there were a lot of divided loyalties.

Sorry for going off topic folks.

Spacewriter
2004-Nov-15, 06:22 PM
Oh. I thought this was going to be about fettucine alfredo! ;)

Zachary
2004-Nov-15, 07:16 PM
I heard the Soviets developed a device which produced a sound with a frequency that was exactly the same as a human chest's resonant frequency, causing the chest to explode :lol: . Still, it could just be a rumour, and if they did develop such a device I doubt it would take anything less than a small truck to transport it.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-15, 07:28 PM
I heard the Soviets developed a device which produced a sound with a frequency that was exactly the same as a human chest's resonant frequency, causing the chest to explode :lol: . Still, it could just be a rumour, and if they did develop such a device I doubt it would take anything less than a small truck to transport it. Then how do you protect the user? or direct the damn thing?

JimTKirk
2004-Nov-15, 07:41 PM
I almost seem to remember an old Avengers episode where Steed's umbrella was actually a gun ( I probably mis-remember this though). Seems you could use that same sort of setup to make an air gun in an umbrella. The projectile could be nitro glycerine in solid form (bullet shaped). With enough air pressure, it could penetrate the skin and cause all the symptoms of a heart attack with only a small entry hole. The air gun will make little noise compared to a regular gun too. :o It probably wouldn't work though unless you hit a major artery... 8-[

Gullible Jones
2004-Nov-15, 09:05 PM
Chest exploding sonic weapons? That would take a lot of energy... Plus the resonant frequency would be different for different peoples' chests, never mind different parts of the chest...

Zachary
2004-Nov-15, 09:49 PM
I heard the Soviets developed a device which produced a sound with a frequency that was exactly the same as a human chest's resonant frequency, causing the chest to explode :lol: . Still, it could just be a rumour, and if they did develop such a device I doubt it would take anything less than a small truck to transport it. Then how do you protect the user? or direct the damn thing?

Make a reeeealy big speaker which doesn't diffract the sound wave and then make sure nobody gets on the recieving end of it? :D

Anyways, I doubt it was actually true, but it could be done. You'd just need loooads of power. I'm sure you could produce a vaired enough frequency that it would work across a range of human chests :D

Colt
2004-Nov-16, 01:22 AM
Sounds like crap to me... I know there are certain poisons/drugs/chemicals that will stop your heart but they're usually not all that small of an amount needed... The thing with the umbrella was simply a small steel ball bearing with cutouts in it to hold the poison (a type of salt if I recall). They almost missed the tiny puncture wound.

I do know that both sides developed things that used compressed air to spray a powder that killed the person. I think the Soviets used it one time, had it rolled up inside of a newspaper. - Colt

Morrolan
2004-Nov-16, 07:43 AM
The thing with the umbrella was simply a small steel ball bearing with cutouts in it to hold the poison (a type of salt if I recall). They almost missed the tiny puncture wound.

(emphasis mine)

ricin is a toxin found in the castor bean plant.

2004-Nov-16, 08:26 PM
Well a very small amount of potassium chloride will, I believe, stop the heart. I know that KCl is what they use for euthanasia of animals. It's also used in lethal injection, though it's somewhat redundant at that point i believe.

Gullible Jones
2004-Nov-17, 12:13 AM
You'd need a lot of KCl to do that, I think...

sarongsong
2004-Nov-29, 08:12 AM
India has its 'suicide tree':
"...Digoxin kills by blocking calcium ion channels in heart muscles, which disrupts the heartbeat. But while foxglove poisoning is well known to western toxicologists, Gaillard says pathologists would not be able to identify Cerbera poisoning unless there is evidence the victim had eaten the plant. "It is the perfect murder", he says..."
http://tinyurl.com/682sa