PDA

View Full Version : An Enigma

xbck1
2004-Nov-16, 03:59 AM
Today I bought a Snapple Mango Madness drink. For a while now, they've been putting all sorts of weird things on the insides of their bottle caps. For example, the one I got today says: ""Real Fact" #156, Swimming Pools in the U.S. contain enough water to cover San Francisco." Now, I'm thinking, that's an odd thing to say. What do they mean by "cover San Francisco"?

SF is a kind of large blotch (the city itself is ~75 km, or 46.7 mi, square) sticking out to nearly meet another large blotch so that there's a bay. On top of that, SF is built on very hilly ground. Its highest point is about 200-300 meters (656-984 feet) above sea level. Further, the Transamerica building, SF's tallest skyscraper, is 260 meters (or 853 feet) tall. That's pretty high.

So, on with the questions: What exactly is it that they mean when they say "cover San Francisco"? Do they mean cover it with a sheet of water? Cover each and every contour of the land in a certain depth of water? Perhaps make a sheet of water that would be shaped like the city that was a certain thickness? Or do they mean cover the city in clouds or fog or rain? And how thick would said, uh, cover of water be? And do they just mean that it would cover the actual ground, or do they mean that the skyscrapers would be covered too? And how do they come up with this type of thing? Do they get it from US census data? Do census forms actually ask if you have a swimming pool, and how much water it can hold?

sarongsong
2004-Nov-16, 04:27 AM
San Francisco...pure magic...my all-time favorite city...
"Play Real Facts, Real Genius.
When you play, we'll serve you up a cap with one real fact and one fake fact. Choose which one is real, and your score will tick up a notch. Play all 229 and get every one right and you can enter our Hall of Fame..."
http://snapple.com/index.asp?Pageid=3&subid=3a&contentid=3a

xbck1
2004-Nov-16, 06:08 AM
That still doesn't answer my questions. ;)

sarongsong
2004-Nov-16, 06:16 AM
What was the other 'fact' on your cap?

Eroica
2004-Nov-16, 09:09 AM
They probably just summed up the surface areas of all the swimming pools in the US and found that the result was about the same as the area of the Earth's surface occupied by San Francisco ... :-k

Bawheid
2004-Nov-16, 09:51 AM
What was the other 'fact' on your cap?

"If all the gay men in San Francisco were laid end to end, no one would bat an eyelid"?

sidmel
2004-Nov-16, 03:04 PM
Play Real Facts, Real Genius.

That was actually kinda fun. I only scored 197 out of the 229, 86%. So I'm not a real genius and didn't get to sign my initials. Alas, some I should have payed more attention two and number I just didn't have a clue.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-16, 06:14 PM
Play Real Facts, Real Genius.

That was actually kinda fun. I only scored 197 out of the 229, 86%. So I'm not a real genius and didn't get to sign my initials. Alas, some I should have payed more attention two and number I just didn't have a clue.

I got 196, should have taken more time, some I just read the first one it sounded good and hit done....stupid, stupid, stupid....only to realize I knew the second fact.

xbck1
2004-Nov-16, 09:01 PM
I'd swear some of those were trick questions. There was one that I know for a fact was wrong.

SeanF
2004-Nov-16, 09:37 PM
How is maple syrup not a "natural resource"?

sidmel
2004-Nov-17, 08:59 PM
How is maple syrup not a "natural resource"?

Yeah, I was thought that as well when that question came up.

**Edited for spelling

Mars
2004-Nov-18, 02:44 AM
I thought that too.