PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy/Space exploration related Christmas lecture

astrosapien
2004-Nov-16, 03:13 PM
Whoa, first of all, a long time of lurking comes to an end with this post. While I found it quite enjoyable to occasionally visit the forum, I never brought myself to register and participate.
Apparently. this is going to change - the reason is, I would like the tap the vast pool of knowledge which assembles here.
I work in a research centre (we're all boring lawyers, nothing fancy) and my boss hosts a Christmas party every year. Academics that we are, we never get around to lecture - some Christmas party that is. So last year, I read the passage in Chaikin's "A Man on the moon" that features the journey of Apollo 8, particularly the part, where the astronauts read from Genesis.
Now: what am I going to read this year? It should have something to do with astronomy or space exploration and Christmas.
I would be extremely grateful if someone could come up with a good idea. Thanks in advance!

Bawheid
2004-Nov-16, 03:19 PM
Welcome astrosapien. There is no such thing as a boring lawyer, you're thinking of accountants. (Runs and hides from T-man)

I'll leave it to others to suggest a passage. In English? or German?

Humphrey
2004-Nov-16, 03:23 PM
Yah welcome! :-D

I'm not a expert on christianity so i truthfully do not know alot about the writings of Christmas.

Dose it have to be a actual chrismas passage or can it be a adaptation? Could you take one of the famous songs, stories and re-write it?

kucharek
2004-Nov-16, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the BABB, astrosapien.

Just out of couriosity: What is considered Germany's space town #1?
Cologne? Bremen? Darmstadt? Stuttgart?

Harald

astrosapien
2004-Nov-16, 03:33 PM
Thank You, Bawheid, that was fast! And let me assure You, there are boring lawyers - as I could witness last week on a conference.
My audience complained last year - I read from the original, I don't think Chainkin's book has been translated - that my spoken English is too americanized (Tolkien said something about American English being English language after someone went over it with a dirty sponge, IIRC) and hard to understand. However, I am wiling to expose them again to an English language lecture, if necessary, although they certainly would prefer German. I'd even do it in Latin. As long as I enjoy it.... :P

astrosapien
2004-Nov-16, 03:36 PM
@kucharek: Thanks for the welcome. I live and work in Bremen. This town presensts itself, probably out of hanseatic tradition, constantly as an understatement, so I boast a little :D

kucharek
2004-Nov-16, 03:46 PM
@kucharek: Thanks for the welcome. I live and work in Bremen. This town presensts itself, probably out of hanseatic tradition, constantly as an understatement, so I boast a little :D
I guess, I shouldn't mention the Space Center Bremen... [ducks and runs for cover] :D

Now, by using the Apollo 8 story last year for christmas you already used up the best.
And, well christmas and astronomy: Everyone knows that little story about the three magis and the new star they followed...
Maybe telling the story how the Apollo 8 crew happen to do what they did. It's nicely told in Zimmerman's "Genesis".

And yes, Chaikin's book never made it into German. I was pretty surprised some weeks ago when I learnt that Dave Scott's and Alexei Leonov's book "Two Sides of the Moon" has been published in German.

Harald

astrosapien
2004-Nov-16, 03:47 PM
@Humphrey: Thanks again.
At least remotely, it should have something to do with Christmas. And astronomy or the exploration of space. Just like Apollo 8 story - that was just perfect for my case.
I thought, maybe an important discovery was made on Christmas or some - scientifically sound - paper exist linking comets and the star that led the kings to the crib. Something like that.

astrosapien
2004-Nov-16, 04:14 PM
I guess, I shouldn't mention the Space Center Bremen... [ducks and runs for cover] :D
Harald

At least not if the senator of finance is around :) But which town in the world can pride itself with hosting the entire UNIVERSE (http://www.universum-bremen.de)? By the way, my office is not too far away from the Drop Tower (http://www.zarm.uni-bremen.de). If that thing ever decides to misinterprets the "Fall" (of the German Fallturm) and collapses - that was my office.
I haven't even heard about the Scott/Leonov book, it sounds so interesting, I just ordered it. And I ordererd Genesis, maybe I can use it - my colleagues probably already forgot what I read last year.

Harvestar
2004-Nov-17, 07:27 AM
My immediate thoughts are that there's another part of the Apollo 8 mission where Bill Anders says something like "the Earth hanging there, so fragile, like a Christmas ornament". I'm not sure if that's in the same passage as the Genesis reading, but I always wanted to make a Christmas tree ornament out of the Earthrise photo (or the Apollo 17 "Full Earth" photo. Perhaps I'll do that this year.

Apollo 17 was during December, but I'm not sure if they have any Christmas related things. There is the song "I was strolling on the moon one day, In the merry, merry month of ... December". I remember listening to that on the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.

And I know I was just reading in my book "Star Lovers" something about an astronomer being born on Christmas day. (since I read several chapters that evening, I'm not sure who it was Tycho? Newton? Baade?) (just looked it up - it was Newton!)

ooh, and doing some Google searching on "Christmas in Space" - turned up this:
Christmas in Space (http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/livinginspace/Christmas_in_space.html)

There's links to video from STS-103 - the mission to repair HST. I remember watching that on my computer at home. And there was a beautiful post by John Grunsfeld about fixing Hubble on Christmas! :) I told him that later and he said "Oh, someone read those!?!" :) I wonder if that's still around the NASA site?

Novaspace (http://www.novaspace.com) also has some really cool Christmas cards with astronomy themes! I bought some of these a few years ago (then again, they're down the road from me ;) )