PDA

View Full Version : What it means to be British

ToSeek
2004-Nov-16, 08:42 PM
The typical Briton is polite, witty and phlegmatic, but lacks a certain style and has a dental hygiene issue, according to a study drawn up by Britain's prestigious Royal Society of Arts.

- http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/afplifestyle_britain

Just so you know.

snowcelt
2004-Nov-16, 09:03 PM
Understated.

Past rulers of the planet.

Glom
2004-Nov-16, 09:07 PM
They didn't ask what the Australian rugby team had to say on the matter. They would have said, "The Daddy!"

sarongsong
2004-Nov-17, 09:13 AM
"I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole".

Richard of Chelmsford
2004-Nov-17, 10:29 AM
Yes, we don't have wall to wall teeth like Americans..it makes us snarl better (see Alan Rickman in 'Die Hard!')

But I don't know what it would be like NOT to be British.

I've never been anything else. :P

2004-Nov-17, 05:40 PM
I can only agree with Richard. Our teeth do have "character". :lol:

Richard of Chelmsford
2004-Nov-18, 09:47 AM

You're not British, you're Scotch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

frogesque
2004-Nov-18, 10:24 AM

Well, I kind of straddle the border since I was born in England but have lived in the gods' own country for longer than I care tell. Scotland is the sweetie capital of the world and the Scots have naturally evolved the kind of teeth that consume them.

There is the hollow tooth, designed for sucking pan drops, the gummie for munching tablet and the hypersensitive zone that adds a certain piquant element to ice cream. It's not that we don't take care of our teeth up here, we nurture our black composting stumps. :D

Ut
2004-Nov-18, 10:50 AM

Single malt?

2004-Nov-18, 06:46 PM
Sad to say it, but tha mi Sassenach.. :oops:

I was born and raised in the Land of the Concrete Cow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, I'd never go back saarf... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-18, 08:25 PM
You're not British, you're Scotch.

Scottish

worzel
2004-Nov-18, 08:56 PM
The typical Briton is ... and phlegmatic.
That'd be the cold, damp air.

sarongsong
2004-Nov-18, 08:57 PM
Am concurrently reading up on Marshall McLuhan (http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/overload/mcluhan/um.html), who suddenly seems quite relevant these days:
"...The Medium Is the Message /14
Alexis de Tocqueville...was asked why he did not write a book on England, since he knew and admired England. He replied:
One would have to have an unusual degree of philosophical folly to believe oneself able to judge England in six months. A year always seemed to me too short a time in which to appreciate the United States properly... One has only to find the center [of the U.S.] and everything is revealed at a glance...But in England the paths run criss-cross, and it is only by travelling down each one of them that one can build up a picture of the whole...In England, however, such was the power of the ancient oral traditions of common law, backed by the medieval institution of Parliament, that no uniformity or continuity of the new visual print culture could take complete hold. The result was that the most important event in English history has never taken place; namely, the English Revolution...The American Revolution had no medieval legal institutions to discard or to root out, apart from monarchy. And many have held that the American Presidency has become very much more personal and monarchical than any European monarch ever could be..."

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Nov-19, 11:13 AM
"...The Medium Is the Message /14
Massage :)

Amadeus
2004-Nov-19, 12:57 PM
The Empire will strike back! :D

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-20, 11:24 PM
The Empire will strike back! :D

But we must strike down that last rouge jedi before he's the death of us all :evil:

*donns on a swanky white plastic suit and grabs a rifle* lets go get 'em boys 8)

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-21, 06:41 AM
But we must strike down that last rouge jedi before he's the death of us all :evil:

Rouge? Does he have a red robe, a red light-saber, or is he wearing makeup? :P

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-21, 02:03 PM

No, no they killed him age's ago Iím talking about the... umm whatís the name #-o

... the Skywalker lad with that shoddy rebel alliance pfft it will never last once our second death star is in operation *evil laugh* :D

The makeup wearer was one of the good guys, somewhat questionable with the makeup though. That really made the sith look stupid :roll:

Amadeus
2004-Nov-22, 01:27 PM

No, no they killed him age's ago Iím talking about the... umm whatís the name #-o

... the Skywalker lad with that shoddy rebel alliance pfft it will never last once our second death star is in operation *evil laugh* :D

The makeup wearer was one of the good guys, somewhat questionable with the makeup though. That really made the sith look stupid :roll:

---->over head
:)

Rouge

n : makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks [syn: paint, blusher] v : redden by applying rouge to; "she rouged her cheeks"

:D

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-22, 07:07 PM

---->over head
:)

Rouge

n : makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks [syn: paint, blusher] v : redden by applying rouge to; "she rouged her cheeks"

:D

Haha well you got me there :oops:

Should have been rogue (right?) :roll:

Richard of Chelmsford
2004-Nov-23, 10:10 AM

Scottish

Yes, possibly Scottish, but 'Scotch' (single malt or otherwise :) ) is also correct.

The common use of the word 'Scots' used nowadays is in fact a post-war affectation.

The word 'Scotch' for a Scottish person was the original one and was used by Rabbie Burns and R.L. Stevenson.

I rather like to wind up Scotch people with that having gone to school in Scotland as a child and been subjected to anti-Sassanauch propaganda.

(Sassanauch - Saxon in Gaelic).

Re Scottish sweeties. I don't like Edinburgh castle rock, but I quite like tablet. I made some a few weeks ago.

Anyone make Boston Cream?

Also, who can forget Soor Plooms??

IN FACT...it just occurs to me. I had porridge for my breakfast this morning and I'll hae it the morn's morn tae. 8)

BoredHugeKrill
2004-Nov-23, 07:02 PM
Sad to say it, but tha mi Sassenach.. :oops:

I was born and raised in the Land of the Concrete Cow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

you mean roundabout land... ?

neonsurge
2004-Nov-23, 10:21 PM
Concrete cows (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A680104) = Milton Keynes

Land of roundabouts (http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm) = Swindon

AndrewGPaul
2004-Nov-24, 12:59 AM

Scottish
Also, who can forget Soor Plooms??

The boiled sweet of the gods. I remember sitting on a beach in the bahamas, drinking the remains of a bottle of Irn-Bru, eating the melted remnants of a quarter of Soor Plooms. heaven on Earth :)