PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Masters - Tiger Woods

Parrothead
2013-Apr-14, 06:50 PM
It looks like he made the storyline for many of the wrong reasons, yesterday. While the way things played out, it was decided not to dq him and assess him a 2 stroke penalty for an illegal drop on Friday, before he began play yesterday. Be it an honest mistake or not, many raised the question, should he have dq'd himself for signing an incorrect scorecard? Others have made the tough decision of dq'ing themselves from a tourney. What happens if Tiger pulls off a comeback (something he hasn't done in a Major tournament) and wins. Does the win then get an asterik beside it? The best possible outcome, someone other than Tiger wins this year's Masters. Perhaps one of the Aussies or Cabrera. IMHO, Tiger should have dq'd himself. In the interviews following Friday's round Tiger admitted he dropped the ball further back than he should have, that should have been done after he dropped the ball in the first place, two stroke penalty right away, no problems. Instead there are questions over his signing an incorrect scorecard. To me this decision ranks up there with the decision at the '99 Phoenix Open and eight to ten people moving a huge boulder out of Tiger's way, as it was ruled to be a "loose impediment".

The ruling from the Augusta Rules Committee yesterday:

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=420655

In a way, this changes things moving forward. Can't help but wonder if the rules committee will have a change of members, following this tourney.

Luckmeister
2013-Apr-14, 07:44 PM
In a post-round interview, Tiger commented that he dropped the ball away from the proper spot to improve his shot (although I don't think he used the term "proper spot"). He said he "made a mistake" but the rules are tightly enforced in professional golf and admitting a mistake does not absolve one from culpability. In this case, it proved intent to bend the rules and it appears he signed his card knowing he had done that which implies that he should have DQ'd himself. Would you? Would I?

From the article:

The penalty of disqualification was waived by the Committee under Rule 33 as the Committee had previously reviewed the information and made its initial determination prior to the finish of the player's round.

They said they didn't penalize him during the round but did after further review of video and hearing Tiger's interview. What a bag of worms! Joe Anybody, a golfer who barely made the cut, did not have cameras on him and was not interviewed after the round would have escaped all that controversy.

I, like many others, wanted to see Tiger play today but should he? I'm sure there's a big difference in TV ratings if he plays in the final round. Is that a factor in the rules commitee actions? Would Joe Anybody have received the same rules judgment?

peteshimmon
2013-Apr-14, 08:31 PM
I distinctly heard a naughty word from the man
a few hours ago, apologies from our commentators
followed. There might be a rule against this:)
Anyway, going into the water after hitting the
pin might confuse anyone. And knowing everything
is minutely covered surely rules against deliberate
cheating.

Luckmeister
2013-Apr-14, 09:39 PM
Anyway, going into the water after hitting the
pin might confuse anyone. And knowing everything
is minutely covered surely rules against deliberate
cheating.

If you drop a ball to purposely improve your shot over it's original position, which he admitted doing, that would be considered cheating whether you know everything is minutely covered or not.

schlaugh
2013-Apr-15, 12:48 AM
ETA: Never mind, was thinking of a different rule.

schlaugh
2013-Apr-15, 01:07 AM
OK, rechecked the rules: :) Here's what I believe Tiger was thinking. Provision b) of Rule 26 says you can drop the ball anywhere behind the water hazard, keeping the point of entry between the hole and your drop. And you can do so anywhere along that line going back as far as you like. The problem is that the line of relief should have taken Tiger into the 14th fairway because the ball flew off at an angle.

This video, in the first example, shows what I believe he was thinking.

http://www.usga-rules.com/WaterHazards/

Did he cheat? Maybe. But I tend to think not. Else why admit it on world-wide television?

Luckmeister
2013-Apr-15, 01:39 AM

Did he cheat? Maybe. But I tend to think not. Else why admit it on world-wide television?

Yeah, he probably thought his action was legal when he dropped the ball and he had a ruling that it was okay during play. He didn't sign his card knowing a rule had been violated, so no DQ. After the round had finished, the officials changed the ruling and imposed a 2-stroke penalty.

Parrothead
2013-Apr-15, 03:41 PM
OK, rechecked the rules: :) Here's what I believe Tiger was thinking. Provision b) of Rule 26 says you can drop the ball anywhere behind the water hazard, keeping the point of entry between the hole and your drop. And you can do so anywhere along that line going back as far as you like. The problem is that the line of relief should have taken Tiger into the 14th fairway because the ball flew off at an angle.

He had three choices: 1) Drop in the designated drop zone. 2. Drop as far back as he likes, in line with where the ball crossed the hazard. 3. Drop as near to the spot of his shot, as possible.

He chose option three, but dropped some yards behind the divot, in effect improving his lie. He may have confused options 2 and 3, but that isn't an excuse. The ruling came down, as it did. Thankfully, it turned out not to be a factor. I still think it would have been better, had he dq'd himself, given his mention of the error in the post-round interview, leaving the perception of signing an incorrect scorecard, despite the rulings made. Had he had a great final round and won, there would be lots of questions being asked.

Congrats to Adam Scott on his victory. The Aussies now have their first Masters champ.