PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon Explosions

SeanF
2013-Apr-15, 09:02 PM
Just in case anyone here hasn't heard yet, there were two explosions at or near the finish line of the Boston Marathon this afternoon. Some sites are reporting as many as 12 dead and 50 injured.

swampyankee
2013-Apr-15, 09:17 PM
A number (last count was 3) bombs have been set off in Boston. Two were set off simultaneously, at about 3:00pm (EDT), near the finish line for the Boston Marathon and the third at about 4:00pm (EDT), near the JFK Library. At least two people have been killed (see: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/explosions-reported-at-site-of-boston-marathon.html?_r=0)

I do hope that no BAUTers or their loved ones were among those injured.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-15, 09:21 PM
A thread was started in OTB: http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?143523-Boston-Marathon-Explosions

Noclevername
2013-Apr-15, 09:23 PM
Another explosion reported at the JFK Library in Boston.

Most recent CNN report says 2 dead, 23 injured from the Marathon, no reports of injuries from the other explosion.

danscope
2013-Apr-15, 09:24 PM
Authorities found one device and are investigating.
We'll catch them.
We were lucky the crowd had thinned out in that spot from earlier.
Our hearts go out to the families injured.
Dan

Noclevername
2013-Apr-15, 09:31 PM
Confirmed those casualty numbers from several news outlets.

ADDED: Injured are still reaching hospitals, so the numbers may go up.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-15, 09:50 PM
Latest report is that the JFK fire was not caused by an explosion, it was an electrical fire.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-15, 09:53 PM
I just now got online (mid-afternoon) for first time today, TV's been off...

:mad:

Shocked to see that news!! But WHY shocked??

Every day now, it seems, a mall shooting or other act of public violence.

My respect to all parents out there...but the older I get, the more I'm glad husband and I didn't have children. This is NOT the America I grew up in, and this is UNACCEPTABLE!!

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-15, 09:56 PM
I don't even feel anger over things like this now, just really sad, those poor people in Boston.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-15, 10:10 PM
I do feel angry. I want this stuff to STOP. I want this nation to be as it was while I was growing up, for future Americans.

We're doomed.

Don't worry, Mods; no political comments.

slang
2013-Apr-15, 10:21 PM
(2 threads merged)

AstroRockHunter
2013-Apr-15, 10:35 PM
I used to live in Boston, I visited that area often. New Year's celebrations would center around there and we would go admire the ice sculptures.

This is just tragic. I can't begin to express the sadness my wife and I feel about this.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-15, 10:40 PM
I think it's interesting they shut down the cell towers to prevent any phone triggered bombs. It's good to see emergency planning actually work.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-15, 11:11 PM
Latest reports from area hospitals say 73 injured.

Bearded One
2013-Apr-15, 11:25 PM
I do feel angry. I want this stuff to STOP. I want this nation to be as it was while I was growing up, for future Americans.

We're doomed.

Don't worry, Mods; no political comments.Not sure when you grew up but all in all I think times are better now than any other period during my life. Yes, there are problems and challenges to face but then there always have been. WWI, WWII, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, race riots, hijackings, The Great Depression, many smaller recessions, The Dust Bowl, The Cold War, and many other hardships that we have faced, as a nation and as a world.

As I heard from another, concentrate not on the people who caused this carnage but on the people who are rushing to help. They outnumber the bad guys by orders of magnitude. As long as that remains true the future is not something to fear.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-16, 01:06 AM
There seem to be lots of unreliable "news" stories going on, and lots of idiots pointing fingers based on nothing more than their prior prejudices. It's a fairly safe bet, however, that the motivation will turn out to be one or both of the "forbidden" topics on this forum.

Jens
2013-Apr-16, 01:21 AM
As I heard from another, concentrate not on the people who caused this carnage but on the people who are rushing to help. They outnumber the bad guys by orders of magnitude. As long as that remains true the future is not something to fear.

Well said. I agree that there is nothing especially violent about the era in which we are living. Unfortunately, these things have always happened and I doubt that we will ever be able to stop it completely. We have guns, and explosives are not that difficult to make, and given a population of billions of people there are always going to be those who are a bit off. Of course, it's tragic like any other incident like this.

Gillianren
2013-Apr-16, 01:28 AM
Right--when I grew up, it was The Troubles. This is nothing compared to that, not even a little. It's closer to home for me, but still not close. No matter what the motivation here, the average American is still safer from terrorist attack than lightning.

Swift
2013-Apr-16, 01:46 AM
Not sure when you grew up but all in all I think times are better now than any other period during my life. Yes, there are problems and challenges to face but then there always have been. WWI, WWII, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, race riots, hijackings, The Great Depression, many smaller recessions, The Dust Bowl, The Cold War, and many other hardships that we have faced, as a nation and as a world.

Well said. I grew up in the 60s (born in 1958). 1968 was a pretty ugly year and really felt like the world was burning down. And we had the on going terror of living with the Cold War and MAD and wondering if someone was going to push the button.

That makes me no less sympathetic to the kids growing up today. Life is hard and the world can be an ugly place. Let's hope all our little steps to make it just a little better continue to improve things.

Fazor
2013-Apr-16, 02:17 AM
"Look for the helpers."

We stay in Copley square when we go to Boston. We were there three weeks ago. We were right where the bombs went off a handful of times that weekend. Gorgeous place. And we've always found the people of Boston surprisingly helpful and outgoing. Far from the East-cost "Type-A" stereotypes many of us simple Midwesterners have. The Boston Marathon is such an amazing thing - people training for years just to get a chance to run. Beautiful city, great people, great event. Horrible, horrible act of violence.

Very thankful not more were killed. Awesome to see (most) people coming together in grief and aide. You hope these things don't happen, but when they do, they only serve to show that humanity is mostly good, no matter how bad the minority can be.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-16, 02:58 AM
I was at the 25 Mile marker cheering about 45 minutes before the explosions-- when they happened, I was back in my dorm eating lunch and I didn't see anything, but there were sirens for the next few hours and the University police sent us alerts to stay inside, so we all did. Luckily, all of my friends have contacted me to say they're okay, but the news says one student from BU has been hospitalized.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-16, 03:21 AM
I was at the 25 Mile marker cheering about 45 minutes before the explosions-- when they happened, I was back in my dorm eating lunch and I didn't see anything, but there were sirens for the next few hours and the University police sent us alerts to stay inside, so we all did. Luckily, all of my friends have contacted me to say they're okay, but the news says one student from BU has been hospitalized.I'm glad you and your friends are OK. Some of the pictures are horrific.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-16, 06:02 AM
Death toll is now at 3 (one a child.) Injured are reported over 130.

At least two unexploded bombs have been found and are being examined.

It twists my guts to read about the kid. They were 8 years old, the same age as my nephew.

Heid the Ba'
2013-Apr-16, 11:03 AM
I find it hard to muster sympathy for a city which was home to NORAID and other IRA fundraisers, and where bars regularly took collections and provided support for the IRA and INLA. I don't remember the people of Boston or their politicians (the Kennedys in particular) showing any support for the victims of the IRA and INLA, the very opposite in fact.

LookingSkyward
2013-Apr-16, 11:10 AM
Regardless of the people of Boston and the IRA (I've been noodling this connection all day), continuing to harm innocents, for any reason in any place, is deplorable and deserves my sympathy. My heart goes out to the victims in Boston, just as it did the victims of the IRA.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-16, 01:49 PM
Yes, I wasn't born yesterday; I do realize there's been violence down through mankind's history.

But I don't remember (they didn't exist!) domestic bombings/acts of terror growing up here in the States. I don't want to get used to it, either. This isn't Northern Ireland or Israel. I don't want this nation to become like that.

And I refuse to get used to it!

One of the dead was an 8 year old boy who was running in the marathon to support the Sandy Hook children. - a friend notified me.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-16, 02:02 PM
But I don't remember (they didn't exist!) domestic bombings/acts of terror growing up here in the States.

Ask the Weathermen or the Alphabet Bomber if they existed.

I suggest we all focus our emotions on sympathy for the victims.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-16, 02:08 PM
Ask the Weathermen or the Alphabet Bomber if they existed.

Oh, okay. I reluctantly stand corrected. But the Weathermen never actually managed to do anything, did they? Or maybe 1 little incident?

But the fact remains America DID NOT face ONGOING terrorist threats ON OUR SOIL when I was growing up!

We are now facing DAILY, ONGOING THREATS. The fact that this nation is now practically bankrupt thanks to all the excessive ongoing (necessary) security measures is proof enough of that. And try boarding an airplane today versus 15 years ago.

I suggest we all focus our emotions on sympathy for the victims.

I agree.

And meanwhile I'm entitled to my reaction.

If others here want to become the proverbial "slow-boiled frog" be my guest. I'm not going to get used to it. Nor all the random public shootings -- now on a nearly daily basis.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-16, 02:28 PM
I didn't see anyone actually tell you to "get used to it".

The important thing is how you deal with your reaction; you hate this situation-- we all do-- but do not let your anger tie you up in knots. If you want to work out those feelings, do something proactive. Go give blood, or make a donation to the victims, or comfort someone who's also upset.

schlaugh
2013-Apr-16, 02:39 PM
Oh, okay. I reluctantly stand corrected. But the Weathermen never actually managed to do anything, did they? Or maybe 1 little incident?

Terrorism is terrorism. As for the Weather Underground:

For the bombing of the United States Capitol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol) on March 1, 1971, they issued a communiqué saying it was "in protest of the U.S. invasion of Laos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laos)".
For the bombing of the Pentagon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pentagon) on May 19, 1972, they stated it was "in retaliation for the U.S. bombing raid in Hanoi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi)".
For the January 29, 1975 bombing of the United States Department of State (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_State) building, they stated it was "in response to escalation in Vietnam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War)".[4]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground#cite_note-The_Weather_Underground-4)- Wikipedia

Swift
2013-Apr-16, 03:06 PM
I find it hard to muster sympathy for a city which was home to NORAID and other IRA fundraisers, and where bars regularly took collections and provided support for the IRA and INLA. I don't remember the people of Boston or their politicians (the Kennedys in particular) showing any support for the victims of the IRA and INLA, the very opposite in fact.
I can understand that this may be an emotional issue for people, or may bring up other emotional issues, but this post is not appropriate and will get a Friendly Reminder infraction. This thread will be kept on a "short leash" and will be closed if it gets out of hand.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-16, 03:18 PM

Those killed were individuals, and the bomb did not ask what city they hailed from nor their political affiliations. One of those dead was a child not even born when the events you're talking about occurred.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-16, 03:19 PM
Death toll is now at 3 (one a child.) Injured are reported over 130.

At least two unexploded bombs have been found and are being examined.

It twists my guts to read about the kid. They were 8 years old, the same age as my nephew.
Official news conference with Boston PD this morning: only two bombs. None of the suspicious items investigated had more bombs.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-16, 03:26 PM
Will try to make this my last on the matter.

On a related note, why this rattles me so much and why I get outraged at what I perceive as the "Oh, ho-hum...times are changing, we'll just have to get used to it" attitudes:

All the school shootings since the mid-1990s. I mean *around the nation* - not limited to extreme violence in big inner-city coastal schools (NY, LA).

After the two most recent school-place shootings (Sandy Hook and the one immediately prior), I was surprised to read (online) PARENTS taking (or seeming to take) the attitude of "Well, times have changed (they sure have!!)...we don't like metal detectors in our school, but there you have it."

I (childless) suggested added security (a guard posted at each entrance) at school entrances during start of school day. But no, one MOTHER chimed in she didn't want her children to get paranoid or feel "watched" by security guards.

Okay lady...it's YOUR CHILDREN as sitting ducks in classrooms. I'm more concerned about the safety of her children?!

All these incidents of a lone male dressed entirely in black, carrying duffle bags, walking to a school at 8:40 a.m. or thereabouts but no one sees him (apparently) until he's indoors (too late)...

Finally, just recently, SOMEONE did notice such a male approaching a school. Nice to know someone took it seriously, stopped stirring their coffee long enough to actually notice! Turns out yep, that man was armed and intended to shoot up the place. No, I don't recall where/which school; it's probably Google-able. I can't keep track of all the violent nuttiness in this nation anymore! That's how bad it's gotten.

It DOESN'T HELP (understatement) to take a "roll with the punches" attitude on this. We've got to STOP "the punches." Or at least be outraged when they occur!

Noclevername
2013-Apr-16, 03:40 PM
We've got to STOP "the punches."

No one can stop every punch. There will be violence. The only thing you can control is your response.

Or at least be outraged when they occur!

As you yourself said, you have the right to your own emotional reaction, AND SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE whether you "approve" of them or not.

Swift
2013-Apr-16, 04:46 PM
Nice story from CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-marathon-support/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

They're offering their spare rooms, their couches, their food, their cars -- even their own beds.

A huge wave of strangers is greeting the many visitors stranded by the Boston Marathon bombings with a massive outpouring of support.

"We figure this is the least we can do," said Heather Carey, who offered a couch at the home near Boston University she shares with roommates. "I saw a website with many others offering their spaces like we did. It is awesome to see so many people helping."

The two blasts Monday that left three dead and more than 140 wounded also left countless people without shelter. Investigators turned the heart of Boston into a crime scene, evacuating several hotels. That stranded dozens of visitors, some of them international runners unfamiliar with the area.

By Monday evening, pleas were posted on several websites.

"Me and my friends lost our phone after the explosion," a woman posted on Reddit. "We are visiting from Korea so our English be not very good. My friend is in the hospital now and they say we can not stay over night in hospital."

Another woman posted: "I have no where to go."

Quickly, the online cries for help were answered. Websites were flooded by Bostonians offering aid. Even though it was unclear how many people were helped, by early Tuesday morning a Facebook page set up for victims listed more than 100 people offering rooms and rides.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-16, 06:00 PM
The whole point of terrorism is to try and control your target through fear driven emotional responses, I think it's important to find out all the details behind the attack and make a measured response that doesn't add to the feeling of helplessness that the attackers are trying to create.

America is and probably will remain for a long time a very safe place to live(with some cultural based exceptions). I seriously doubt there will be bombs going off at every major event or even a few over the next while.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-16, 06:12 PM
I (childless) suggested added security (a guard posted at each entrance) at school entrances during start of school day. But no, one MOTHER chimed in she didn't want her children to get paranoid or feel "watched" by security guards. Looks good on paper, fails in real life. Columbine had an armed security guard and did you see that plan carried out by Joe Arpaio in AZ?
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/13/joe_arpaio_hired_a_convicted_child_sex_criminal_fo r_armed_school_%E2%80%9Cposse%E2%80%9D/
"Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio vowed to deploy his gun-toting volunteers to monitor Arizona schools." Trouble is, even the sheriff did a lousy job of background checks and didn't weed out sex offenders.

....All these incidents of a lone male dressed entirely in black, carrying duffle bags, walking to a school at 8:40 a.m. or thereabouts but no one sees him (apparently) until he's indoors (too late)...And what about all the people dressed in black on their way to the gym?

Perikles
2013-Apr-16, 06:20 PM
America is and probably will remain for a long time a very safe place to liveThat is not the perception in Europe (or my personal perception), where guns are very strictly controlled. (This is not meant as an inflammatory/political comment.)

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-16, 06:22 PM
That is not the perception in Europe (or my personal perception), where guns are very strictly controlled. (This is not meant as an inflammatory/political comment.)

I'm having an ongoing debate on this issue on another forum, it's probably one of the most political issues in the US at the moment and one with no easy solution I think.

Swift
2013-Apr-16, 07:28 PM
I (childless) suggested added security (a guard posted at each entrance) at school entrances during start of school day. But no, one MOTHER chimed in she didn't want her children to get paranoid or feel "watched" by security guards.

Looks good on paper, fails in real life. Columbine had an armed security guard and did you see that plan carried out by Joe Arpaio in AZ?
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/13/joe_arpaio_hired_a_convicted_child_sex_criminal_fo r_armed_school_%E2%80%9Cposse%E2%80%9D/
"Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio vowed to deploy his gun-toting volunteers to monitor Arizona schools." Trouble is, even the sheriff did a lousy job of background checks and didn't weed out sex offenders.

That is not the perception in Europe (or my personal perception), where guns are very strictly controlled. (This is not meant as an inflammatory/political comment.)
Even if people do not mean such comments as being inflammatory or political, they are. Anything related to gun control and violence is one of the top inflammatory political issues currently in the US. All of these comments need to stop now, even if you are just responding to someone's earlier post.

If that limits the conversation on the bombings in Boston, so be it. Going forward, no more posts with political content. If in doubt, don't post.

Further violations will be infracted.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-16, 07:49 PM
Here's a CBC piece on the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/16/boston-marathon-bombings-tuesday.html

On Tuesday, the Associated Press identified another of the three people killed as 29-year-old restaurant manager Krystle Campbell of Medford, Mass.

William Campbell says his daughter, who worked at a restaurant in nearby Arlington, was a "very caring, very loving person and was daddy's little girl." He says the loss devastated the family.

These are real people who were killed and wounded, it's important to remember that.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Apr-16, 09:10 PM
Glad to have just heard from a college chum (now a law prof at Harvard) who runs marathons. He and his family and friends were near, but escaped any harm. But the trauma of the event affected everyone. Hopefully, the nasty side of humanity will act to bring out more of our good side; we need it these days.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-16, 09:14 PM
Nice story from CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-marathon-support/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

Thank you, that was heartening to read.

mutineer
2013-Apr-16, 09:48 PM
I hope the good folk of Boston will reflect, at this time, on the hundreds of thousands of dollars contributed by the "Irish patriots" among their number to fund past terrorism in Ulster.

slang
2013-Apr-16, 09:56 PM
I hope the good folk of Boston will reflect, at this time, on the hundreds of thousands of dollars contributed by the "Irish patriots" among their number to fund past terrorism in Ulster.

Politics and ignoring moderator instructions. Infracted.

Jens
2013-Apr-17, 01:37 AM
It DOESN'T HELP (understatement) to take a "roll with the punches" attitude on this. We've got to STOP "the punches." Or at least be outraged when they occur!

I certainly wouldn't advocate taking a "roll with the punches" attitude. It's just that I think to some extent it's important to recognize that this kind of thing is not new and that although we can certainly take precautions, we can never expect to be able to stop it completely. Just thinking about incidents like Timothy McVeigh and Ted Kaczynski, it's possible for a deranged individual to do a lot of damage. So preventing that kind of thing might require draconian measures (I can exaggerate a bit just for arguments sake, say increase the police force so that they can search every home once a night, or set up roadblocks so that people get strip-searched every block as they walk through a city), and there's a need to balance between preventing such incidents and disrupting our lives due to the efforts to prevent them. One can go to two extremes. One is "there's nothing we can do," and the other is "we have to prevent them completely." But I think that I (and probably others) are just saying that we have to keep a perspective and be aware that although we may be outraged by things like this, we have to balance the response.

jokergirl
2013-Apr-17, 09:33 AM
All these incidents of a lone male dressed entirely in black, carrying duffle bags, walking to a school at 8:40 a.m. or thereabouts but no one sees him (apparently) until he's indoors (too late)...

As Bruce Schneier (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/04/the-boston-marathon-bombing-keep-calm-and-carry-on/275014/) eloquently pointed out, restricting innocent people for an exaggerated threat (yes, bombs are scary and real, but they are still very rare and unpredictable events) is precisely what these madmen want.
Don't play into their hands.
(As an aside, my boyfriend matches this description way too often, and I would too if I were male. Thank you for not making him be tackled every time he walks by a school or public building.)

The criminal(s) will be found, and brought to justice. Vigilance is never bad. But please, keep it to common sense.

JohnD
2013-Apr-17, 11:32 AM
An American commentator to a UK TV News said that the US is not used to bombings, whereas the UK and other places is.
Yes, on the London underground, prominent notices and announcements still remind us to report bags or parcels that are 'unattended'.
And latest news from Boston is that these bombs were left unattended in black backpacks.
How long they were there, and how long they could have been on a London street without being reported, I don't know, but it is human to be complacent. Can't find figures for now, but after 7/7 there were 250 reports a day, just on the Underground system.

And the pain in Boston will not be helped by this but the our view of the world should be kept in proportion - in that same 24 hours, twenty car bombs went off in Baghdad killing thirty people.

Mrs.Thatcher's funeral proceeds today, and although her legacy included the Northern Ireland troubles, there are no reports of anything more offensive than people turning their backs on the cortege. The London Marathon is this weekend, and the authorities are 'reviewing' security. Boston's pain sounds to me like an American malcontent, but we have them too and they are copycats. Fingers crossed that Boston has taken a bullet that could have been ours.

John

swampyankee
2013-Apr-17, 12:03 PM
Yes, I wasn't born yesterday; I do realize there's been violence down through mankind's history.

But I don't remember (they didn't exist!) domestic bombings/acts of terror growing up here in the States. I don't want to get used to it, either. This isn't Northern Ireland or Israel. I don't want this nation to become like that.

And I refuse to get used to it!

- a friend notified me.

There were numerous bombings by segregationists during the 1960s, several bombings by various Puerto Rican independence movements, and a couple of bombings by "anti-war" groups during the time of the Vietnam War, plus, of course, the endemic terrorism of lynching. I've also heard of white supremacist bombings from the 1970s on in some of the Rocky Mountain states. Overall, the level of ideologically motivated violence is probably less than it was when I was growing up, but I'm rapidly approaching 60.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-17, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry for the 30 people killed in Baghdad in 24 hours by bombs there.

It's the future of America, right?

Well, hopefully others will be relieved when just as many Americans are being slaughtered daily by bombs. :rolleyes:

Wish no one anywhere were, but guess I'll just have to get used to it.

No more dreams of a better tomorrow, a bright future. Nope. That's g-o-n-e.

(get used to it, Buttercup...the new reality will be easier to handle)

Heid the Ba'
2013-Apr-17, 01:20 PM

Mostly in Nasariyah and Kirkuk, but all areas which have seen an increase in terrorism over the last 12 years.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-17, 01:21 PM
...and come to think of it, I sure also feel sorry for future earthquake victims in 3rd world nations, starving masses in various places, and the ongoing victims of the AIDS epidemic once America finally is destroyed.

Our money/wealth helps a lot of people. And I've been proud of that.

As America goes, so goes the world. You know?

Lots more suffering in store. That's what our enemies want.

Ah well. My sympathies to future generations. I won't get used to it, let it be said.

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-17, 01:27 PM

As others have pointed out, this is one situation among many throughout history.
But; this is most likely just a blip just like any other terrorist attacks. The numbers have been steadily declining over the last 40 years.
Bombings End Decade of Strikingly Few Successful Terrorism Attacks in U.S. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/us/bombings-end-decade-without-terror-in-us.html?_r=0)

In the 1970s, about 1,350 attacks were carried out by a long list of radical groups, including extremists of the left and the right, white supremacists, Puerto Rican nationalists and black militants, Dr. LaFree said. The numbers fell in the 1980s, as the groups were eroded by arrests and defections, and again in the 1990s, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, which had inspired or covertly supported some violent leftist groups, Dr. LaFree said.

Heid the Ba'
2013-Apr-17, 01:36 PM
Our money/wealth helps a lot of people. And I've been proud of that.

As America goes, so goes the world. You know?

Lots more suffering in store. That's what our enemies want.

If you take aid as percentage of wealth or income then the world would miss Scandewegia more than the US which actually lags behind most of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_development_assistance) including Spain.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Apr-17, 01:44 PM
Lone sociopaths cannot be legislated for nor can their actions be reliably prevented, regardless of massive security measures. All it takes is to get behind someone on a subway platform. The proper reaction to their actions is police leg work. Organized terrorism is another matter, and there are often effective infiltration and surveillance measures.

So what's the proper response of general society to something like this? If not in security or law enforcement, it is to join the effort to debunk, discredit, and undermine the false narratives that often inspire lone and organized fantasies. Unwarranted and extreme rhetoric against government authority, including in the realm of taxation, off-the-cuff throw-away remarks in the line of "we ought to... to those xxxxs" don't help, and in general a judgmental and non-analytic attitude contribute to a more violence-prone environment.

The pen is mightier than the sword. Honor the truth. Wield it well. That's the response.

SeanF
2013-Apr-17, 01:54 PM
If you take aid as percentage of wealth or income then the world would miss Scandewegia more than the US which actually lags behind most of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_development_assistance) including Spain.
I don't think that's true. If I were getting $1000 a month from Bill Gates and $100 a month from you and they both went away, I'm pretty sure I'd "miss" Gates' money more than yours, despite the fact that it's a smaller percentage of his wealth. :)

Also, unless I'm mistaken, that link is strictly government donations - it doesn't take into account private charitable donations. I don't claim to know how US private charity compares to other countries, mind you, but it should be taken into account.

SeanF
2013-Apr-17, 02:17 PM
I think it's interesting they shut down the cell towers to prevent any phone triggered bombs. It's good to see emergency planning actually work.
They've retracted that report (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/04/verizon-sprint-att-report-heavy-cellular-traffic-in-boston-no-shutdowns/) now. Apparently, although some people had problems getting through because of congestion, the cell networks were not shut down.

LookingSkyward
2013-Apr-17, 02:20 PM
At least in my corner of the universe, each cell tower can only handle 60 calls at a time... In emergency comm services we figure on cell nets being promptly clogged.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-17, 02:32 PM

Now, don't talk like that. There's only no hope for the future if you don't believe there's any.

I live two miles from Copley Square. I've heard the sirens and the helicopters low overhead the past two days. Some of my classmates were close enough to hear the explosions and had to run to Newberry Street to escape the fleeing crowds. All of our parents were trying to call us from home to make sure we were okay, and even though the networks were tied up, we hurried as best we could to reassure them and then text our friends to make sure they were okay. One of those killed was a graduate student at our college and another student is in the hospital but in stable condition. Our campus was locked down for several hours on Monday and yesterday we got alerts from the university police warning of a suspicious package in the building where most of my classes are that turned out to be nothing.

Here at BU, it's on everybody's mind. Certainly, we're all afraid to some degree.

But do you know what? We went to class today and yesterday. We held vigils in our dorms and in the plaza in front of the university chapel. Our city has a lot of great hospitals and doctors, and they were able to save a lot of people's lives, even if they did have to amputate limbs, and even if some of them will take a long time to recover.

We went out yesterday afternoon to eat our lunches on the lawns because the air was still as warm and the sun was still as bright and the magnolia trees on campus are blooming. And tonight, the astronomy club is going to meet like we do every Wednesday, and, weather willing, show the stars to visitors from all over the area.

If BU hasn't given up hope, when this happened in our city and to our fellow students, then you shouldn't, either, Buttercup. There's a Charles Dickens quote that I saw on the wall at Guy Laliberte's exhibit of his photographs from the space station that I think sums it up very well: "There are dark shadows on the Earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast."

LookingSkyward
2013-Apr-17, 02:36 PM
Well said, Kai.

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.

- Adam Lindsay Gordon

schlaugh
2013-Apr-17, 02:46 PM
An American commentator to a UK TV News said that the US is not used to bombings, whereas the UK and other places is. Yes, on the London underground, prominent notices and announcements still remind us to report bags or parcels that are 'unattended'.

I took the train from Heathrow to Paddington a few years ago, bought something to eat at a kiosk in the station and then wandered around for 10 minutes looking for a trash can. Then the light bulb went off inside my head and I had an ah ha! moment.

Swift
2013-Apr-17, 03:14 PM
If BU hasn't given up hope, when this happened in our city and to our fellow students, then you shouldn't, either, Buttercup. There's a Charles Dickens quote that I saw on the wall at Guy Laliberte's exhibit of his photographs from the space station that I think sums it up very well: "There are dark shadows on the Earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast."
:clap:

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-17, 05:02 PM

It's the future of America, right?

Well, hopefully others will be relieved when just as many Americans are being slaughtered daily by bombs. :rolleyes:

Wish no one anywhere were, but guess I'll just have to get used to it.

It's important to keep things in perspective, this isn't even the first attack at a major sporting event in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing

As others have pointed out there's been terrorism of one form or another in the US for many years, as with McVeigh and Kaczynski. The south had race based violence for almost a century, these things seem to go through phases.

Until it's determined who was responsible for this action it's impossible to know the ongoing threat, and after that determination is made then there will almost certainly be a plan to deal with it.

America goes on and while it does have it's problems as any nation does, domestic terrorism is relatively rare there.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-17, 05:04 PM
Now, don't talk like that. There's only no hope for the future if you don't believe there's any.

I live two miles from Copley Square. I've heard the sirens and the helicopters low overhead the past two days. Some of my classmates were close enough to hear the explosions and had to run to Newberry Street to escape the fleeing crowds. All of our parents were trying to call us from home to make sure we were okay, and even though the networks were tied up, we hurried as best we could to reassure them and then text our friends to make sure they were okay. One of those killed was a graduate student at our college and another student is in the hospital but in stable condition. Our campus was locked down for several hours on Monday and yesterday we got alerts from the university police warning of a suspicious package in the building where most of my classes are that turned out to be nothing.

Here at BU, it's on everybody's mind. Certainly, we're all afraid to some degree.

But do you know what? We went to class today and yesterday. We held vigils in our dorms and in the plaza in front of the university chapel. Our city has a lot of great hospitals and doctors, and they were able to save a lot of people's lives, even if they did have to amputate limbs, and even if some of them will take a long time to recover.

We went out yesterday afternoon to eat our lunches on the lawns because the air was still as warm and the sun was still as bright and the magnolia trees on campus are blooming. And tonight, the astronomy club is going to meet like we do every Wednesday, and, weather willing, show the stars to visitors from all over the area.

Well said, Kai, well said. (The whole post, not just the quote)

It's something we all need to be reminded of at times like this. Yes, there are monsters in the world. But there are also heroes.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-17, 05:22 PM
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"- FDR

Cougar
2013-Apr-17, 06:29 PM
Suspect arrested. CNN story. (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/boston-blasts/index.html)

Noclevername
2013-Apr-17, 06:42 PM
Suspect arrested. CNN story. (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/boston-blasts/index.html)

Weird quote:
The U.S. government has warned federal agencies in the past that terrorists could turn pressure cookers into bombs by packing them with explosives and shrapnel and detonating them with blasting caps.

...Pretty much any container packed with explosives and shrapnel and set off with blasting caps is a bomb, isn't it?

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-17, 06:45 PM
Or not... the story is already updated.

(CNN) -- [Breaking news update at 2:36 p.m. Wednesday]
There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested [...] there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-17, 07:06 PM
Schroedinger's suspect: He's either been arrested or not.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-17, 07:20 PM
This story says he's been identified but not arrested yet.

Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Identified (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/boston-marathon-bombing-suspect-identified_n_3101865.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada&utm_hp_ref=canada)

A suspect has been identified in the Boston Marathon bombings, but contrary to earlier reports, there has been no arrest, an unidentified law enforcement source tells CNN.

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-17, 07:28 PM
Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Identified (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/boston-marathon-bombing-suspect-identified_n_3101865.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada&utm_hp_ref=canada)
Of course, that's just one reporter hearing what he heard on another media outlet from an unidentified source with a statement that could mean just about anything.

A definite maybe.

The original source just said:

A Boston law enforcement told CNN, "We got him," but won't clarify whether that means a suspect has been identified or arrested.
Some federal sources said it was even too early to say investigators had identified the suspect, but several sources in Boston told CNN that they have a clear identification.

That doesn't necessarily mean by name.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-17, 07:40 PM
Interesting collection of images on IMGUR here. (http://imgur.com/a/sUrnA)

Cougar
2013-Apr-17, 07:47 PM

That's what I hear now too. "News reports of an arrest have been retracted."

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-17, 07:50 PM
Hopefully they have his(or their) image and it's just a matter of time before they track him down.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Apr-17, 08:12 PM
Noon news here reported that authorities have identified the suspect using facial recognition software, but not arrest was mentioned.

beskeptical
2013-Apr-17, 11:14 PM
Noon news here reported that authorities have identified the suspect using facial recognition software, but not arrest was mentioned.
I wish we could trust the news. I wonder who is in the data base of that recognition software? I know they use a facial recognition system when you cross the border. I don't know it they put every new person in the data base or just see if you match someone in the files? Because if it's the latter, you might expect these Saudis here on the student visas to have been in that data base. Also the police were at the airport. They could have been taking new images.

Jens
2013-Apr-18, 04:15 AM

No more dreams of a better tomorrow? I don't agree at all. The future may well get better, and we can certainly do things to try to get it that way. It's just, no dreams of a perfect tomorrow.

Solfe
2013-Apr-19, 01:48 AM

Actually, reality is largely what you make of it.

If you have read any of my posts about where I live, I would imagine that it seem idyllic, perhaps even boring. That appears to be the way I see it.

In light of current events, I was looking at crime figures. I had no idea that NYC had a violent crime rate 48.36% over the State average and 44.11% (http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/new-york/new-york.html#.UXCfLcpGqkM)over the national average. From my perspective NYC is the Big City on the other side of the state and nothing in the City of Buffalo has any thing in common with it. It turns out my belly button feeling is really correct. The City of Buffalo has a violent crime rate that is 236.3% (http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/new-york/buffalo.html#.UXCew8pGqkM) over the national rate. While NYC's rate is falling, the violent crime rate in Buffalo is getting worse. (All of this is from 2010 numbers on the pages I linked to. It is hard to read because they layer city vs. state vs. nation.)

I have traveled around the country (and parts of Canada) and have come to the conclusion that there is no other place I'd rather live. Visit, in small doses, yes; but never stay for a long period of time. Why? Because I think people are nicer here. Yes, that is exactly my (highly subjective) rationale. I think this place is nicer than others and was surprised to see that my home town is actually not so hot by the numbers.

The fact of the matter is, where you attitude goes so goes the world.

Jens
2013-Apr-19, 02:24 AM
Yes, that is exactly my (highly subjective) rationale. I think this place is nicer than others and was surprised to see that my home town is actually not so hot by the numbers.

It actually is pretty hot, or at least the barbecue sauce you use is. Maybe that's related to the crime rate. . .

Tog
2013-Apr-19, 07:04 AM
They have been identified, and as of now, one is reported dead. Another bomb was thrown at police. This started as near as I can tell on the MIT campus. There is some talk of there being more than one suspect. Most of this comes from the Twitter feed of a guy transcribing the police scanner calls.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:10 AM
News reports say a shootout and car chase from Cambridge to Watertown, police are combing the WT area now.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-19, 08:13 AM
And how much of that is based on facts?

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:17 AM
Per latest FBI press release, 2 men shot MIT campus cop last night, hijacked car, took a hostage and fled. Suspects got in a shootout and threw bombs, hostage released. One suspect dead, the other is being hunted. No info on whether the men are connected to Marathon bombings.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:17 AM
And how much of that is based on facts?

Who ever knows?

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:25 AM
Press conference says missing man may be "white cap" individual possibly connected with bombings. 2nd cop was wounded in shootout, in critical condition. Watertown residents told to stay indoors and report anyone seen.
ADDED: conference by State police and watertown police chief.

Tog
2013-Apr-19, 08:28 AM
You can listen in to the police scanner here:
http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-Fire-and-EMS-Scanner-s146109/#
Not sure if it works outside the US or not.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:32 AM
FBI has confirmed the 2 men were the same suspects from the bombing video footage.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-19, 08:49 AM
Actually, reality is largely what you make of it.

If you have read any of my posts about where I live, I would imagine that it seem idyllic, perhaps even boring. That appears to be the way I see it.

In light of current events, I was looking at crime figures. I had no idea that NYC had a violent crime rate 48.36% over the State average and 44.11% (http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/new-york/new-york.html#.UXCfLcpGqkM)over the national average. From my perspective NYC is the Big City on the other side of the state and nothing in the City of Buffalo has any thing in common with it. It turns out my belly button feeling is really correct. The City of Buffalo has a violent crime rate that is 236.3% (http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/new-york/buffalo.html#.UXCew8pGqkM) over the national rate. While NYC's rate is falling, the violent crime rate in Buffalo is getting worse. (All of this is from 2010 numbers on the pages I linked to. It is hard to read because they layer city vs. state vs. nation.)

I have traveled around the country (and parts of Canada) and have come to the conclusion that there is no other place I'd rather live. Visit, in small doses, yes; but never stay for a long period of time. Why? Because I think people are nicer here. Yes, that is exactly my (highly subjective) rationale. I think this place is nicer than others and was surprised to see that my home town is actually not so hot by the numbers.

The fact of the matter is, where you attitude goes so goes the world.
What I find interesting is that the text talks about the New York city violent crime rate being 44.11% higher than the national rate when the graph shows that it's about 30% lower.

Tog
2013-Apr-19, 08:55 AM
What I find interesting is that the text talks about the New York city violent crime rate being 44.11% higher than the national rate when the graph shows that it's about 30% lower.

You may be looking at the wrong graph there. The first one is for property crime.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 09:03 AM
I've been watching this all night. Lots of stuff going on and stops and starts. Here's what seems to be confirmed.

An MIT campus policemen is shot dead sometime Thursday night. A an armed carjacking occurs, with the owner dumped out, unharmed, at a gas station. Photos from that gas station are later released which is a dead ringer for "suspect #2", white hat guy in the Boston bombing. Cops go after the carjacked car. Chase ensues which leads them to Watertown. During the chase, bombs are thrown out of the car at the cops chasing. Some explode, some do not. Chase ends and there is a shootout with two men. Another cop is injured and taken to the hospitial during that chase and shootout. One suspect is injured and is taken to the hospital, where he later dies. Second man gets away.

Dead man is now said to be Boston Bomber suspect #1, dark hat guy. Suspect #2 is still on the loose in Watertown.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-19, 09:05 AM
You may be looking at the wrong graph there. The first one is for property crime.
You're right, my mistake.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 09:22 AM
ANd BTW, there are two possible names of these suspects, named heard on the police scanners during all this. I won't mention them, but you can find them if interested. As I understand, the name of suspect #2 had been pieced together by "crowdsourcing" online sleuthing before all this started. If they can do it, the FBI certainly came up with the same name. THis was a Brown University student who just "dropped out of life" and disappeared about a month ago. His last communications with his family seemed "suicidal". Also, there were reports of explosions being heard in the woods around Brown, which were investigated, but no material or people were found.

MIT connection: Perhaps suspect #1 was an MIT student, friend of suspect #2. It may be they suspected they were hiding out at MIT, and a BOLO was put out and the poor MIT cop stumbled on them and was killed, setting off the car jacking and chase leading to where we are now.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 09:45 AM
ANd BTW, there are two possible names of these suspects, named heard on the police scanners during all this. I won't mention them, but you can find them if interested. As I understand, the name of suspect #2 had been pieced together by "crowdsourcing" online sleuthing before all this started. If they can do it, the FBI certainly came up with the same name. THis was a Brown University student who just "dropped out of life" and disappeared about a month ago. His last communications with his family seemed "suicidal". Also, there were reports of explosions being heard in the woods around Brown, which were investigated, but no material or people were found.

MIT connection: Perhaps suspect #1 was an MIT student, friend of suspect #2. It may be they suspected they were hiding out at MIT, and a BOLO was put out and the poor MIT cop stumbled on them and was killed, setting off the car jacking and chase leading to where we are now.

I had heard on at least 2 news channels that the FBI definitively deny that it was the missing MIT student ID'd by The Internet. The campus cop was said to be responding to a disturbance report, not a BOLO.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 09:53 AM
Yep, that's what I'm hearing now, not the missing student, and now "federal sources (these were the same sources that CNN based their false arrest report on, too) are saying these two guys are "foreign", with "military training". Latest is dead suspect #1, according to a report that says it comes from the doctor who treated him, had gunshot wounds, and "explosive residue" all over him. Hearing he jumped out of the car during the shootout with a bomb strapped to his body.

Others are swearing they heard the name of the missing student over the police scanners.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 09:54 AM
And the latest wild speculation they're going on about is the two men were setting up a bomb at MIT, and the dead cop stumbled on them doing that.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 09:55 AM
Grains of salt, anyone? Get your grains of salt! Can't tell your players without yer grains of salt.

LookingSkyward
2013-Apr-19, 10:01 AM
yep, salt. waiting for the dust to settle.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 10:42 AM
Here is what NBC now says:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/19/17817173-boston-marathon-suspect-is-killed-second-on-loose-after-extraordinary-firefight?lite

Goes like this: suspects approach MIT cop and kill him. Steal his police car and drive to 7-11 and rob it -- this is where the Suspect #2 photo comes from. Then they carjack an SUV. I had heard they "stole a police SUV", but couldn't jibe that with the civillian carjacking. But now NBC says two cars stolen, one the dead cop's.

But, grains of salt of course.

Oh, and dead suspect #1 was attempting to suicide bomb the cops, running toward them with intent to set off bomb, but they shoot him and stop him before he gets close enough.

And all of that may be utter baloney.

Tog
2013-Apr-19, 10:48 AM
I've seen a few cell clips that were allegedly the shooting of the first suspect. There were... lots... of shots.

The scanner is saying they have one cab stopped with three men in it. Bomb squad suiting up.

Another part of town they found what looks like fresh blood described as "a puddle."

All public transit is stopped.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 10:58 AM
Giving the name of Suspect #2 "officially" from Justice. It's defintitely not the missing Brown student. He and suspect #1 are now said to be *brothers*, in the country for a little over a year, and from Chechnya

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 11:09 AM
Did I hear right? They think the guy's first name is Joker?

publius
2013-Apr-19, 11:12 AM
That's the way someone tried to pronounce it: This is the WP report on the name:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ap-surviving-boston-bomb-suspect-identified-as-dzhokhar-a-tsarnaev-19-of-cambridge-mass/2013/04/19/5d9de6ee-a8de-11e2-9e1c-bb0fb0c2edd9_story.html

"Dzhokhar"

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 11:16 AM
So the dead guy was probably named Hjarlii Kwein.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 11:35 AM
Now they could be from Turkey, and have been here for "several years", not just "a little over a year". :sigh:

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 11:47 AM
I'm going to stop watching for now. Maybe by tonight some truth will have been shaken out of all these "facts".

Solfe
2013-Apr-19, 12:16 PM
You're right, my mistake.

And I made the same mistake about 10 times before posting. Sorry about that, I should have added a warning that New York City and New York State were labeled in a fashion which makes the charts confusing.

Back to the chase in progress. It looks like the men were from Chechnya (SFgate.com link (http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/1-of-2-Mass-bomb-suspects-dead-suburbs-shut-down-4446981.php#page-1)) and have been here for years. One interesting detail about the killed suspect:

Doctors at a Boston hospital where a suspect in the marathon bombings was taken and later died are saying they treated a man with a possible blast injury and multiple gunshot wounds.

It sounds to me that the second suspect is heading back to Boston proper, but maybe I misunderstand where Watertown is.

peteshimmon
2013-Apr-19, 12:41 PM
You all seen the guy describing the events outside
while he was on his computer? Got on the floor and
into a closet. Showed a bullet hole in the wall of
the house (wooden) and into his computer chair.
Ouch! Are there brick lined closets there? Sounds
a bit like pulling the covers over in bed!

But what a World, safe at home then showing everyone
worldwide the aftermath with webcam and internet!

And my condolences for what they are worth.

Solfe
2013-Apr-19, 12:48 PM
Ouch! Are there brick lined closets there? Sounds
a bit like pulling the covers over in bed!

Simply not being a seen might be good enough. Maybe.

Tog
2013-Apr-19, 12:53 PM
Police scanner said the one they got had a trigger, so the one they're looking for might have a vest. They are stressing that officer find cover, not concealment.

blueshift
2013-Apr-19, 01:21 PM
These two aren't the brightest two spoons in the drawer, provided they were trying to get away with it and not draw attention to themselves. Even killers are having a brain drain these days. You lay low, blend in with the people in the surroundings, help old ladies across the street, let several months go by while some innocent bystanders get rounded up as perfect fall guys, then you mosey over to the airport and get out of town. These two dummies did everything but put their social security and telephone numbers right out in public view.

Solfe
2013-Apr-19, 01:21 PM
Here is a strange report from my local news, the Niagara Falls police have pulled over a car with Massachusetts plates and is searching the car with bomb disposal robots. I only mention it because it is a really out there report. I have no link.

It is entirely possible that someone is having their vacation to Canada ruined by a coincidence.

EDIT I now have a link (http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/211292/37/Source-Police-Investigating-Car-from-Mass-in-Niagara-Falls). Almost no details.

Edit two - No relation to Boston (http://www.wgrz.com/video/2312768401001/1/NF-Car-Searched-Nothing-Suspicious-Found), they weren't even doing much wrong. Sorry.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-19, 01:24 PM
The one still alive has reportedly said he's going to "kill you all for killing my brother."

He's playing the victim?? :lol:

They're the ones who started this; killed and maimed others.

Such a mentality...

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-19, 03:19 PM
These two aren't the brightest two spoons in the drawer, provided they were trying to get away with it and not draw attention to themselves. Even killers are having a brain drain these days. You lay low, blend in with the people in the surroundings, help old ladies across the street, let several months go by while some innocent bystanders get rounded up as perfect fall guys, then you mosey over to the airport and get out of town. These two dummies did everything but put their social security and telephone numbers right out in public view.

Once the pictures came out, there was little to no chance of lying low. That probably triggered them to decide to go out with a blaze of glory.

Chechnya is a VERY sad part of the world.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-19, 03:36 PM
Quickly getting tired of the media giving these two goons the "kid gloves" treatment. They were known as smart, nice, kind, helpful, etc. :rolleyes: They might have been. They're anything but that now.

Apparently the youngest has been in the U.S. since age 7, and not back home since, so maybe Chechnya doesn't factor in much?

It is curious as to how they "turned." So many cases, it seems, of bright young people with promising futures taking a very wrong/destructive path (for others and themselves).

blueshift
2013-Apr-19, 04:35 PM
Once the pictures came out, there was little to no chance of lying low. That probably triggered them to decide to go out with a blaze of glory.

Chechnya is a VERY sad part of the world.Apparently they were unaware that there was a perfect fall guy who did match one of them and was being targeted until they started their "blaze of glory" or "suicide by cop" as some might call it.

I agree with your assessment of Chechnya.

Jim
2013-Apr-19, 04:46 PM
Just as a side note, there was a Texan running in the Marathon Monday. (Okay, probably many more than one, but ...) He crossed the finish line just seconds before the first explosion.

He returned to Texas feeling lucky he had escaped the chaos. And Wednesday night he watched a fertilizer plant blow up.

Two quick thoughts:
1. He should buy a lottery ticket TODAY.
2. He should post his itinerary on-line as a public service.

LoneTree1941
2013-Apr-19, 04:47 PM
Quickly getting tired of the media giving these two goons the "kid gloves" treatment. They were known as smart, nice, kind, helpful, etc. :rolleyes: They might have been. They're anything but that now.

Apparently the youngest has been in the U.S. since age 7, and not back home since, so maybe Chechnya doesn't factor in much?
It is curious as to how they "turned." So many cases, it seems, of bright young people with promising futures taking a very wrong/destructive path (for others and themselves).

Yes and his brother, whom we can expect he looked up to, has been here since he was 17, which is plenty old enough in that part of the world to become radicalized. I think I also read that his brother also came later than the younger and not at the same time.

Wasn't it Chechyans that killed and tortured 150 Breslan school kids back in 2004?

Beslan School Hostage Crisis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis)

LoneTree1941
2013-Apr-19, 04:49 PM

I heard a Boston TV news reporter repeatedly refer to these guys as gentleman/gentlemen; what's happened to the language?

Jim
2013-Apr-19, 04:53 PM
Yes and his brother, whom we can expect he looked up to, has been here since he was 17, which is plenty old enough in that part of the world to become radicalized. I think I also read that his brother also came later than the younger and not at the same time.

Wasn't it Chechyans that killed and tortured 150 Breslan school kids back in 2004?

Beslan School Hostage Crisis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis)

Let's not go there.

Swift
2013-Apr-19, 05:01 PM
Just as a side note, there was a Texan running in the Marathon Monday. (Okay, probably many more than one, but ...) He crossed the finish line just seconds before the first explosion.

He returned to Texas feeling lucky he had escaped the chaos. And Wednesday night he watched a fertilizer plant blow up.

Two quick thoughts:
I heard about that guy on NPR this morning. I hope he stays off of the Titanic II that they are building.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-19, 05:29 PM

Yep, many of them were women radicalized by the Russian army's use of systematic rape of Chechnyan women as a repression tactic during their occupation after Chechnya they tried to gain independence.
The Beslan school was a private school for children of high ranking officials and officers of the Russian army and was considered a valid target for payback for previous atrocities.

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-19, 05:41 PM
What I find irritating though, is their lack of qualifying "New York".
Sure they apply "city" in some cases, but they assume that not saying city means the state. (at least I think so, some of those references could go either way)
Hey; how about using just "city" or NYC once you established the city, and use "state" for the rest?

The one still alive has reportedly said he's going to "kill you all for killing my brother."
He's playing the victim?? :naughty:
(fixed your smily to match my opinion)

The father was reported as saying they were good kids too. Aren't they always?
Unfortunately it was paraphrased, so I have no clue what was said and in what tone of voice.

But; I did watch the interview with the uncle... "those two deserve to be dead" or something like that.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-19, 05:43 PM

Two quick thoughts:
Woah. Truth is stranger than fiction!

Perikles
2013-Apr-19, 05:51 PM
Woah. Truth is stranger than fiction!It's possible that with the number of people involved, the probability of having one such lucky person is not so low. Recently, an aged Japanese man died who lived in Nagasaki and was on a business trip to Hiroshima on 6th Aug 1945. He survived that and returned to Nagasaki the next day....

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-19, 05:58 PM
It's possible that with the number of people involved, the probability of having one such lucky person is not so low. Recently, an aged Japanese man died who lived in Nagasaki and was on a business trip to Hiroshima on 6th Aug 1945. He survived that and returned to Nagasaki the next day....
I knew that story. There was also the woman (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop) who was a stewardess on the Titanic who survived, became a nurse during WWI, was serving on the Britannic when it was sunk, and survived again.

NEOWatcher
2013-Apr-19, 06:08 PM
It's possible that with the number of people involved, the probability of having one such lucky person is not so low.
I was thinking the same thing. They never said where in Texas.
People come to the marathon from all over. I'm sure there were plenty of Texans there (even in the guys area of Texas).
And; what do you do when you're done with a marathon? You go home and tend to your aches and pains.

Swift
2013-Apr-19, 06:09 PM
<snip>

Let's not go there.

Yep, many of them were women radicalized by the Russian army's use of systematic rape of Chechnyan women as a repression tactic during their occupation after Chechnya they tried to gain independence.
The Beslan school was a private school for children of high ranking officials and officers of the Russian army and was considered a valid target for payback for previous atrocities.

When a moderator says "let's not go there", it means "don't go there". This will earn an infraction.

Keep politics, any politics from anywhere around the globe, out of this thread. There will be no further warnings, just infractions. I would rather not close this thread, but will do so if necessary.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-19, 08:02 PM
More CBC blog images, videos and comments from Boston.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2013/04/bostonians-capture-shootout-and-lockdown-on-camera-in-real-time.html

I've had the line from Elton John's song Empty Garden going through my head as I've followed this today.

"It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain"

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:30 PM

The news media are (by and large) trying to limit themselves to reporting what others have said.

I think that if someone deliberately targets random uninvolved people, it ceases to matter what their backgrounds, motivations or excuses are. The actions of these individuals speak for themselves, and are what they should be judged by.

There's no need to demonize them, they've already shown their nature by their actions.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-19, 08:39 PM
The news media are (by and large) trying to limit themselves to reporting what others have said.

I think that if someone deliberately targets random uninvolved people, it ceases to matter what their backgrounds, motivations or excuses are. The actions of these individuals speak for themselves, and are what they should be judged by.
I don't think motive has been established yet, so whether they considered the targeted people uninvolved is still unknown.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-19, 08:46 PM
I don't think motive has been established yet, so whether they considered the targeted people uninvolved is still unknown.

The targets were selected at random. They used non-discriminating weapons against a group of people of all ages, races, sexes, beliefs, and many nationalities.

I'm dropping the subject before it verges back into political territory.

blueshift
2013-Apr-19, 10:58 PM
The surviving brother apparently backed his car over his brother before taking off from police. CNN did not say whether that act caused his death or whether he was already dead from exchanging gunfire with police. Things are unfolding in a strange way.

publius
2013-Apr-19, 11:25 PM
If any of you aren't aware, and I won't even link to it because you can find it if you desire, there's been something purported to be a leaked photo of the dead older brother on the table. Of course, people seem to delight in making fake photos like this. Anyway, the face is grusomely red, which they say is bruising consistent with being run over like that. There is also a massive thoractomy hole in the side of the body, which they say would likely be done be with massive internal injuries to the chest from being run over, not to mention the bullet holes and the damage they did.

swampyankee
2013-Apr-19, 11:41 PM
What I find irritating though, is their lack of qualifying "New York".
Sure they apply "city" in some cases, but they assume that not saying city means the state. (at least I think so, some of those references could go either way)
Hey; how about using just "city" or NYC once you established the city, and use "state" for the rest?

(fixed your smily to match my opinion)

The father was reported as saying they were good kids too. Aren't they always?
Unfortunately it was paraphrased, so I have no clue what was said and in what tone of voice.

But; I did watch the interview with the uncle... "those two deserve to be dead" or something like that.

I remember the uncle saying that they were a disgrace to the family and a disgrace to the entire Chechyan ethnicity, and the surviving suspect should turn himself in.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-20, 12:01 AM
Poilce now have someone wounded and trapped in a trailered boat in Watertown, hope it's him and not some homeless guy.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-20, 12:34 AM
We've been watching the local news in the dorm game room for about half an hour with the person cornered in Watertown. Nothing much has happened, except that there were some explosions after a robot was sent in-- the news doesn't know if they were from the police or the surrounded person.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-20, 12:46 AM
reporting the police have him in alive and custody.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-20, 12:48 AM
Yes, TV news and Boston Globe Twitter say the same.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-20, 12:49 AM
FBI confirms, they got him.

danscope
2013-Apr-20, 01:00 AM
He's apparently alive. NBC.

cjackson
2013-Apr-20, 01:12 AM
Does anyone else find it disturbing seeing images of police in armoured vehicles wearing combat gear, and going through the streets of Boston as if it were a warzone in Iraq? Is there really no other answer than to declare martial law and send in the army... sorry, I meant the police -- it's hard to tell the two apart these days.

Jim
2013-Apr-20, 01:13 AM
In custody, alive, and wounded.

The police, fire, EMTs, etc. are withdrawing from the area. People are lining the streets cheering them as they go by. Kinda like they do the runners in the Marathon.

Poetic.

(The BW said the police should reinstate the shelter in place ... and take the weekend off.)

danscope
2013-Apr-20, 02:29 AM
Hi Cjack, in answer to your question, I should point out that extraordinary problems require an extraordinary effort.
Through the combined co-operation of local, state, and Federal authorites working together seamlessly for a determined outcome,
we can all see the results, and in a very short time. For us , we shall be proud of our American know-how, and salute those who put their lives on the line each day.
Dan

Gillianren
2013-Apr-20, 02:37 AM
FBI confirms, they got him.

Good. I'm a big fan of trials in this kind of situation. Let the rule of law deal with it.

Swift
2013-Apr-20, 02:51 PM
Does anyone else find it disturbing seeing images of police in armoured vehicles wearing combat gear, and going through the streets of Boston as if it were a warzone in Iraq? Is there really no other answer than to declare martial law and send in the army... sorry, I meant the police -- it's hard to tell the two apart these days.
cjackson,

Your post caused considerable debate among the moderation team. It certainly is getting into areas that will provoke political debate, whether it is political or not. You are getting a zero point infraction.

Please, let's try to avoid the provocative posts that will send this thread into forbidden territory.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-20, 03:16 PM
I feel kind of bad for the guy who owned the now-very-leaky boat. That was an amazing volume of shots to still leave the guy alive. I wonder if it was for psychological effect and not really intended to hit him, since they wanted to take him alive.

swampyankee
2013-Apr-20, 05:36 PM
Good. I'm a big fan of trials in this kind of situation. Let the rule of law deal with it.

Agreed. I also think it was a good thing that he was captured, vs killed, as it's now possible to find out if he and his brother were involved in a larger conspiracy as opposed to just being a couple of independent killers, such as Leopold & Loeb, or the New York area mad bomber. I think that they had some ideological motive, which would make them terrorists, but even that doesn't require them to be involved in a larger conspiracy.

Noclevername
2013-Apr-20, 05:50 PM
I feel kind of bad for the guy who owned the now-very-leaky boat. That was an amazing volume of shots to still leave the guy alive. I wonder if it was for psychological effect and not really intended to hit him, since they wanted to take him alive.

I heard one of the talking heads last night say that they were shooting to keep his head down and discourage him from return fire, since they didn't know if he had a weapon.

I'm just glad he didn't set off a bomb or light the boat's gas tank next to the house, and that the family who lived there got evacuated safely. Of things they could have lost in that situation, a boat is one of the more expendable things.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-20, 06:18 PM
And if they get it back after police are done with their forensic work, it'll probably worth quite a bit if they sell it to the right collector.

danscope
2013-Apr-20, 06:31 PM
They have a new name for their boat: " The Collander " .

Noclevername
2013-Apr-20, 06:32 PM
I've never been to Col land. is it a nice place to visit? :)

Gillianren
2013-Apr-20, 06:33 PM
Agreed. I also think it was a good thing that he was captured, vs killed, as it's now possible to find out if he and his brother were involved in a larger conspiracy as opposed to just being a couple of independent killers, such as Leopold & Loeb, or the New York area mad bomber. I think that they had some ideological motive, which would make them terrorists, but even that doesn't require them to be involved in a larger conspiracy.

Exactly. I was explaining the geopolitical situation of Chechnya to a friend yesterday and concluded with, "Of course, there's still the possibility that they're just crazy." And, come to that, the assassin of William McKinley was an anarchist, but the other anarchists he knew thought he was nuts and avoided him wherever possible. Some of them thought he was a cop/Pinkerton/what have you, even.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-20, 07:12 PM
I've never been to Col land. is it a nice place to visit? :)

Sounds kind of Irish or Scottish.

publiusr
2013-Apr-20, 07:20 PM
I wonder if the writings of Alisa Ganieva might give some clue as to motive. From the wiki:

"She moved with her family to Dagestan and attended school in Makhachkala...Her debut novel "Salaam, Dalgat!" describes the everyday life of Dagestani youth in the cities and shows the decay of traditional life...

Here was a statement from the Head of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov--made on Instagram before the younger brother was caught:

"Tragic events happened in Boston. As a result of a
terrorist attack, people were killed. We already expressed our
condolences to the residents of the city and to the people of America.
Today, as the media report, a certain Tsarnaev was killed during a
detention attempt. It would be logical if he was detained and an
investigation was conducted, all the circumstances and degree of his
guilt explained. Apparently, the special forces needed a result at any
price to calm society."

I can't help but wonder if they were radicalized by this group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shariat_Jamaat

We had a BLEVE equiv' of Texas City in Mobile quite recently:

http://rt.com/usa/alabama-blast-fuel-barge-364/
http://blog.al.com/live/2013/04/bystander_catches_mobile_river.html
http://www.koat.com/news/national/Alabama-barge-fire-out-workers-hospitalized/-/9153826/19886894/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/92i6yh/-/index.html

I wonder if this and the West Texas events are all related

At about the 8:07 minute mark on this video featuring sarin gas:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/51669331#51669331

You see shells looking like Reliants megaphaser blasts

danscope
2013-Apr-20, 10:41 PM
Too bad they don't get our local news. He was run over by his own brother.

Buttercup
2013-Apr-20, 10:46 PM
Too bad they don't get our local news. He was run over by his own brother.

:surprised: THAT's how the older one was killed? I asked husband earlier today how the older brother was killed, because it's never mentioned (and I can't spend oodles of time reading online articles while working).

Well...poetic justice if so!

Solfe
2013-Apr-20, 11:16 PM
Who's watching the Texan today? He either needs to stand right next to me or very far away... I am not sure which is better. :)

schlaugh
2013-Apr-20, 11:21 PM
I believe the elder brother died from severe perforation. Being run over was incidental.

Solfe
2013-Apr-21, 02:26 AM
I don't know if anyone saw his picture, but the older brother made it to medical help at some point. He had heart monitor thingies on his chest in the image.

The only reason that I saw the image was a friend on Facebook posted a link to support his rant on what a HIPAA violation the image was. I went to high school with the poster, he was never top of the class material.

Sticks
2013-Apr-21, 04:57 AM
Thread closed pending moderator discussion

Swift
2013-Apr-21, 04:46 PM
After some discussion, we are going to reopen the thread.

Please keep all discussion of possible motives, politics, and anything not child-safe out of this thread. This is the last chance; it will be closed permanently if there are any more problem posts.

swampyankee
2013-Apr-21, 07:46 PM
The picture was, most certainly, a violation of HIPAA. That he was a murder suspect is probably irrelevant.

Now that the police chase is over, I think we should start discussing the survivors. There are going to be many people with long-term psychological and physical problems, and both will result in quite severe financial burdens: medical insurance plans usually do not cover artificial limbs and frequently have higher co-pays, more stringent review, and lower limits on mental health care than on care for physical health.

danscope
2013-Apr-21, 11:05 PM
I take note that The Boston Red Sox have donated $600,000 to help victims of this tragedy.

publiusr
2013-Apr-22, 09:44 PM
Now this is going to sound a bit off the wall but bear with me, especially with this news:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/22/pol-terror-plot-ontario-quebec-arrests.html

I seem to remember, a month or two ago, some reports of strange booming noises across the country. Now I'm thinking most of these were quakes or the sounds of trains coupling carried far on the night air. I cannot help but wonder if some of these may have been dry runs of small two man cells scattered about the country. Infrasound of the events may help...

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-23, 05:18 AM
Wasn't the Al'Qaeda connection just the standard news invention that happens with every terrorist act regardless of who dunnit?

Noclevername
2013-Apr-23, 05:46 AM
I cannot help but wonder if some of these may have been dry runs of small two man cells scattered about the country. Infrasound of the events may help...

I severely doubt it. The only possible purpose of splitting into such small cells would be to avoid having them linked in any way, so they'd have no knowledge of each other to spill. And then they all decide to test their explosives at the same time, all across Canada? Unlikely. Besides, if history is any guide terrorists tend not to use dry runs with live bombs. Explosives are too "valuable" to them to waste on nondestructive acts.

jokergirl
2013-Apr-23, 11:37 AM
My SO noted in the morning that a plot to derail a train off a bridge sounds so much like it comes from an old Wild West movie...

Jim
2013-Apr-23, 12:21 PM
Did anyone else get a kick that it was the RCMP ... the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ... the Mounties! that done them in?

I do so hope they were wearing those red coats when they made the arrests.

(The only other police organization that gets me so worked up is the Texas Rangers. Both groups have long, storied pasts and - by dang - ya jus' don't mess with 'em!)

Extravoice
2013-Apr-23, 01:22 PM
For reasons I can't quite fathom, a certain three-letter news channel was trying *really* hard to tie the Canadian derailment plan to New York City. They kept insisting that the train selected *could* have been one headed for that city, and seemed very disappointed when a representative of the NY police department said he had no indication that the alleged terrorists were targeting NYC.

I know some people think NYC is the center of the universe, but these people seem to think it is the universe.

Solfe
2013-Apr-23, 01:24 PM
Wasn't the Al'Qaeda connection just the standard news invention that happens with every terrorist act regardless of who dunnit?

I am kind of inclined to think that every bonehead who repeats dangerous, deadly stuff is bound to be labeled Al'Qaeda by the media. Sometimes, they are just bad people who also happen to be boneheaded.

Good News/Fun News - I friend of mine ran in the Boston marathon and just escaped the bombing by 28 minutes. Prior to running in Boston, she had encounter another Marathon runner who shared her practice route. Prior to the race they would do the runners head bob in acknowledgement. Post Boston marathon, they have been been exchanging fist bumps while running past each other.

Back to the topic of the RCMP. I don't care about their uniforms - having horses is cool. Nothing says "pursue you to the ends of the Earth" like an officer of the law on horseback.

Fazor
2013-Apr-23, 01:29 PM
Nothing says "pursue you to the ends of the Earth" like an officer of the law on horseback.

Quick off-topic: You ever seen Mantracker (http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/mantracker)*? I thought it'd be stupid, but they had a marathon of it last summer and me and Tara got hooked. Haven't seen it in a while though.

*Link is to the show's page, but it has an auto-play video w/ ad for those on at work, slow connections, etc.

Solfe
2013-Apr-23, 01:51 PM
Quick off-topic: You ever seen Mantracker (http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/mantracker)*? I thought it'd be stupid, but they had a marathon of it last summer and me and Tara got hooked. Haven't seen it in a while though.

*Link is to the show's page, but it has an auto-play video w/ ad for those on at work, slow connections, etc.

I like Mantracker for the scenery and outdoor adventure. However as a game show, I call it "You win NOTHIN'!" To be honest, I am always amazed at how contestants trash talk Mantracker, but as the show progresses, they are shown to be clueless.

I think at some point Les Stroud from Survivorman saw Mantracker and did a show where he deliberately tried to evade search and rescue for a few days, then tried to find them for the other half of the show. He should have gone the extra mile (or kilometer as the case maybe) and asked Mantracker to be on his show. That would have been worth watching.

LookingSkyward
2013-Apr-23, 02:42 PM
A link to an article about the HAM Radio contribution during this event.
We (the HAM emergency communications operators) plan for and assume that cell phones are the fisrt to go offline.

http://w3atb.com/66-boston-marathon-2013-bombs-carnage-and-amateur-radio-operators

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-23, 02:52 PM
For reasons I can't quite fathom, a certain three-letter news channel...

That would be CNN...or HLN...or NBC...or CBS...or ABC...or Fox...or...I guess MSNBC is off the hook!

Extravoice
2013-Apr-23, 03:00 PM
That would be CNN...or HLN...or NBC...or CBS...or ABC...or Fox...or...I guess MSNBC is off the hook!

If you must know, it was CNN.

Gillianren
2013-Apr-23, 03:15 PM
Did anyone else get a kick that it was the RCMP ... the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ... the Mounties! that done them in?

If they're all like Constable Benton Fraser, of course they succeeded!

HenrikOlsen
2013-Apr-23, 03:36 PM
It couldn't have been Fox, that's not a news channel.

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-23, 04:56 PM
It couldn't have been Fox, that's not a news channel.

According to them, it's all of the others that are propaganda channels.

Swift
2013-Apr-23, 04:57 PM

I do so hope they were wearing those red coats when they made the arrests.

(The only other police organization that gets me so worked up is the Texas Rangers. Both groups have long, storied pasts and - by dang - ya jus' don't mess with 'em!)
I don't want to get you too excited, but I believe Federal Marshalls are probably currently guarding the Boston bomber. I doubt any of them are named Marshal Matt Dillon.

I happened to be in St. John's Newfoundland several years ago on Canada Day, and watched the ceremonies that were going on. The Mounties were on horseback for the parade, but I'm guessing they don't normally ride horseback now a days. Though I'd love to see a horse with a lightbar.

KaiYeves
2013-Apr-23, 07:31 PM
In happy news, an online campaign has raised thousands of dollars (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-04-23/crowd-helps-replace-boat-ruined-in-tsarnaev-s-capture) to help the boat owner buy a new one.

LoneTree1941
2013-Apr-24, 01:32 AM
POLICE are reportedly looking into suspected Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev's possible involvement in a horrific triple murder that killed his former roommate.

WCVB.COM TheBostonChannel (http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/Boston-Marathon-bomb-suspect-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev-eyed-in-Waltham-triple-murder/-/11971628/19846460/-/lqbawuz/-/index.html)

Herald Sun (http://heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/suspected-boston-bomber-tamerlan-tsarnaev-linked-to-grisly-2011-triple-murder/story-fnat7jnn-1226627021821)