PDA

View Full Version : How well can you type?

dvb
2004-Nov-17, 04:34 AM
Just wondering how well all of you can type.

I'm not too bad at typing and average between 30-40wpm myself. I'm sure there's many of you who can do much better though. ;)

tuffel999
2004-Nov-17, 04:37 AM
On that scale I would be a good typist(by speed) but I employee a much modified hunt and peck while looking method. I use all of like four fingers, my right index, my left index, left middle, and left ring. Go figure.

Ut
2004-Nov-17, 04:45 AM
I've topped out at ~110 wpm. That was several years ago now, though. I think I'm probablyd down around 80 or 90 these days.

Careless
2004-Nov-17, 04:47 AM
what's amazing to me is how quickly all the people now attending the schools I went to can type. I mean, it's not really a surprise, but it's still interesting to see the difference in computer labs between when I was going to school there and now.

dvb
2004-Nov-17, 04:48 AM
I have my own bad habits. For instance I only use my left pinky on the shift key. This means that my ring finger becomes the pinky on my left hand as I type a capital A, Q, or Z. I've never adapted my right pinky for the shift key. This probably hinders my performance somewhat too.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-17, 04:55 AM
In middle school I came out to be 32 wpm for the typing class. I haven't checked my speed out since but I'm pretty sure it's much quicker now.

Careless
2004-Nov-17, 04:56 AM
I mostly type with 5 fingers (although I've been known to use all 8). why 5? because my left ring finger was severely broken around the time I started typing a lot. Even after surgery and a couple of screws, it's still bent sideways. doesn't work right for typing.

Ut
2004-Nov-17, 04:57 AM
I have my own bad habits. For instance I only use my left pinky on the shift key. This means that my ring finger becomes the pinky on my left hand as I type a capital A, Q, or Z. I've never adapted my right pinky for the shift key. This probably hinders my performance somewhat too.

Actually, I do the same thing. I also type the z key exclusively with my ring finger. I don't find it the least bit hindering :)

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-17, 04:57 AM
I think I got good at it only by doing it so much. My way of typing definitely not standard. In fact, I just recently trained myself to use more than just my index finger on my left hand. :D

Makgraf
2004-Nov-17, 05:04 AM
I think I generally type in the 80-100 range. When I'm typing around 100 wpm I make mistakes and so the stopping to correct takes up some type (for example I typed "takdes" in the sentence above). I touchtype with 10 fingers but I never really learned by numbers so I'm still a little hazy on them.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Nov-17, 05:06 AM
I spend a typical 40 hr workweek behind a keyboard, so by now ya'd think I could do it in my sleep...

Learned in high school (secondary school for you overseas types) at parental insistence (it turned out to be a good thing). Actually learned on a typewriter with a carriage return lever and a bell and all that stuff...even had blank keys to keep you from looking at your fingers...well, at least it works for the letters, just couldn't get past that hurdle for the second row of keys up, so it's eyeballs to fingernails when it's time to type a number or three...

Heck, I still remember how to count off and backspace to center a title on a typed page...take that, Mr. Gates!!!

Ut
2004-Nov-17, 05:06 AM
I've been learning to use the number pad off to the side. It just seems easier, even while mixing letters and numbers.

dvb
2004-Nov-17, 05:13 AM

Actually, I do the same thing. I also type the z key exclusively with my ring finger. I don't find it the least bit hindering :)

Finally, I'm not alone in the world! :o

Careless
2004-Nov-17, 05:19 AM

Finally, I'm not alone in the world! :o
Ah, it's nice to see someone find their soulmate

dvb
2004-Nov-17, 05:20 AM
No..no..no

I don't mean like that! :P

Humphrey
2004-Nov-17, 05:24 AM
Is this even a question? Im perfect in every way. :-)

hdram225
2004-Nov-17, 05:36 AM
Im a pretty quick I suposed. I recently realized that I don't have to look down at all as well. In our SPS(society of physics students) room, a couple of the guys are putting some computers together, and one of the keyboards was really dirty, so they had taken off all the keys to clean them. They decided that they liked it that way, so they left it. I went to use it the first time a few days ago, and I was surprised that once I got started, I had no problem with it.

frenat
2004-Nov-17, 05:52 AM
i Tyupwe hjusty fiiin ytanjk yuou!~

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-17, 06:24 AM
Is this even a question? Im perfect in every way. :-)

I must be missing the "Eddited for speeling" comment on this post. :P

I type well enough. My fingers are occasionally dislexic or add letters if I don't concentrate, and I've never been too much better than 30 wpm (and I just had to look at the numbers like Charlie does--I never liked that part either). I'm glad I'm a decent typist, though, with the need to type papers and such. It was required in High School before you could take any other computer classes. I'm just surprised at how many of my fellow grad students don't know how to type. (Though it was fun to type a response to an e-mail while I was talking to one such person. She thought I was making a point. I don't think I was, but you never know. :D )

mathyou9
2004-Nov-17, 06:28 AM
I type the same way, that is, I can locate Q and Z easier with my ring finger. But when I type a lowercase A, I use my pinky; when I type an uppercase A, I use my [left] pinky on the shift key and I use my [left] ring finger to type A. Also, I use my right ring finger to type P. I only use my right pinky finger for the right shift (which I tend to use only when I type special character at the tope of the keyboard, e.g., @, %, #, ^, etc.)

I type about 67-70 wpm (with notable mistakes) and about 57-60 wpm accurately.

Kebsis
2004-Nov-17, 08:12 AM
Master typist. Comes from an addiction to online FPSs coupled with a yearning for accurate punctuation.

Careless
2004-Nov-17, 09:57 AM
man, after hours of master of orion 2, I;'m typing with 3 fingers. That game is evil on the mouse finger.

frogesque
2004-Nov-17, 10:42 AM
I type as fast as I can think :D

Glom
2004-Nov-17, 10:48 AM
I just tried it out and I did about 80 words in a minute. I could probably go faster. The fact that I can touch type at all really impresses my friends.

Careless
2004-Nov-17, 11:21 AM
I just tried it out and I did about 80 words in a minute. I could probably go faster. The fact that I can touch type at all really impresses my friends.
Are they... erm... Old?

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-17, 12:22 PM
Let's see, I can type around 50-60 wpm, but I use the number pad on the side.

Nicolas
2004-Nov-17, 12:45 PM
45 wpm when not typing sentences but overtyping a random word list. Probably in a fluent text it isd faster. I can type blind, but sometimes I only look at the keys, it depends (75% of the time I look at the keys, and then I do it whole the time). This last sentence is typed blind :). During chatting, I often type blind.

Wally
2004-Nov-17, 12:48 PM
Heh. . . in 8th grade, me and my buddies all took a typing class for lack of anything else we could take at the time. The teacher ended up sitting us in alphabetical order. Me being a "B", I ended up right in front of her desk. They all ended up in or near the back, and pretty much goofed off the entire semester.

Unable to do anything fun, I ended up becoming the best typist in 8th grade that year. . . Even got an award at the year-end ceremony. Good thing I was kinda popular, as I'm not sure I would have survived the embarrassment otherwise. . . Little did I know how much I'd use those skills as a grown-up!

Moose
2004-Nov-17, 01:10 PM
I've tested at somewhere around 35wpm, sustained maximum, if I'm warmed up, but because of the short measuring times on the (online) test, I'm suspicious of the residuals. I have a feeling I'm closer to 20wpm in reality, when you factor in composition and error-correction time.

I rarely have to look at the keyboard anymore, unless I'm on a standard straight. I'm most comfortable on an ergonomic (which I use both at home and at work.)

Either way, being a programmer, there's no real pressure for me to improve much beyond my composition speed. Fast touch-typing is a handy bonus, but by no means a pre-requisite in my field.

I'm entirely self-taught, and so I have the usual bad habits. My hands tend to roam a bit further away from the home keys than standard, and I only use my pinky fingers for (either) shift, caps lock, ctrl, and enter. I use my ring finger for all other outer keys, except the tilde and backspace, where I use my middle fingers' greater reach.

TriangleMan
2004-Nov-17, 01:25 PM
Heh. . . in 8th grade, me and my buddies all took a typing class for lack of anything else we could take at the time.
In my school district typing class was mandatory for all students which turned out to be a good thing. They also felt that many other subjects should be mandatory as well - in Grade 8 they had a course which was one half-semester of each of the following: foods, sewing, woodwork and metalwork. All students had to take it so boys had a half-semester of sewing and the girls had to do metalwork.

I learned that I hated sewing. :)

Bawheid
2004-Nov-17, 01:30 PM
At home 20-25 wpm; at work about 100 wpm (or rather my secretary does) :roll:

Self taught on a manual typewriter; usually look at the keyboard, use one thumb and five fingers. Ugly to watch. :oops:

(About 2 1/2 minutes to post this including proofreading and correcting typos.)

Ut
2004-Nov-17, 02:23 PM
Heh. . . in 8th grade, me and my buddies all took a typing class for lack of anything else we could take at the time. The teacher ended up sitting us in alphabetical order. Me being a "B", I ended up right in front of her desk. They all ended up in or near the back, and pretty much goofed off the entire semester.

Unable to do anything fun, I ended up becoming the best typist in 8th grade that year. . . Even got an award at the year-end ceremony. Good thing I was kinda popular, as I'm not sure I would have survived the embarrassment otherwise. . . Little did I know how much I'd use those skills as a grown-up!

Actually, in 10th grade, I was considerably faster than my typing teacher. She wanted to send me to some sort of crazy typing competition, but the school wouldn't cough up the money.

Typing competition!?!? Who comes up with these things?

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-17, 02:33 PM

Actually, in 10th grade, I was considerably faster than my typing teacher. She wanted to send me to some sort of crazy typing competition, but the school wouldn't cough up the money.

Typing competition!?!? Who comes up with these things?

Nerds with more free time than usual?

ToSeek
2004-Nov-17, 03:06 PM
I'm sure I can manage 60+, but it's not often that I need to. Most of the time I'm typing code, and it's a little hard to write C++ at a character or more per second. ;)

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-17, 03:15 PM
I have a much modified hunt and peck that I no longer have to look at the key board for most of the keys. But I think I use mostly my index fingers and dance around the key board.

I wore my shift key at home out like that.

Kesh
2004-Nov-17, 10:33 PM
I had to take a typing test recently for a job, and managed 62 WPM after errors. If I were more careful, I'm sure I could sustain 75+ easily.

Swift
2004-Nov-17, 11:37 PM
This (http://www.typingpal.com/test/) is one of a bunch of online typing speed tests I found. By it I did 47 words/minute.

Ut
2004-Nov-18, 12:05 AM
This (http://www.typingpal.com/test/) is one of a bunch of online typing speed tests I found. By it I did 47 words/minute.

I've topped out at 117 WPM with 7 errors so far. "per minute" and "virtuoso" seem to be big stumbling blocks for me.

Bob B.
2004-Nov-18, 12:09 AM
I'm about 30 wpm without looking (with proper capitalization & punctuation and without errors), and about 45 wpm when I cheat and look. I usually look at the key board when I type so I'm out of practice when not looking. I'm sure I could increase that 30 wpm if I worked at it a bit.

tuffel999
2004-Nov-18, 12:47 AM
I'm sure I can manage 60+, but it's not often that I need to. Most of the time I'm typing code, and it's a little hard to write C++ at a character or more per second. ;)

No it isn't........ohhhh wait now i know why my programs have so many errors :oops:

dvb
2004-Nov-18, 11:41 AM

Hmm, 52 and 5 errors myeself. I've probably improved somewhat since I last tested myself.

Wally
2004-Nov-18, 12:49 PM
56 wpm w/ 12 errors according to the test, but this was after taking it a second time. It threw me off the fact that it automatically line-jumps at the end of the last word on a line. That had to account for at least half the errors. Also, I kept trying (reflexively) to back-space after making a typo. Not sure if that was held against me or what. . .

Kebsis
2004-Nov-18, 01:40 PM
Yeah, the end of the line jump was screwing me up too. 66wpm with five errors.

Silent Knight
2004-Nov-19, 11:56 PM
Utah Student World's Fastest Typer (http://radio.ksl.com/index.php?sid=133595&nid=19)

Seventeen year old Ben Cook used his cellular phone key pads to type a string of words with 160 characters in 57.75 seconds Tuesday for a Guinness world record.