PDA

View Full Version : A local online classified ad

Tog
2013-Apr-25, 09:10 AM
This is the full ad, minus the contact info.

have wild raccoon in attic its yours for free just come and get it

What could go wrong?

Hornblower
2013-Apr-25, 11:48 AM
The raccoon could bite a responder and transmit diseases which all too often include rabies.

Swift
2013-Apr-25, 12:54 PM
This is the full ad, minus the contact info.

have wild raccoon in attic its yours for free just come and get it

What could go wrong?
:rofl:

If only we could get rid of all our waste/problems that way. "Big pile of trash, free to good home!"

On a serious note, in Ohio, where raccoons are a rabies vector, there are all sorts of restrictions on their removal. If you have someone trap a raccoon (for example in your house or on your property), they cannot be relocated (except elsewhere on your own property), but have to be destroyed.
Ohio Department of Natural Resources (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=5674#raccoons)

Trebuchet
2013-Apr-25, 02:46 PM
I had to pay someone to come and get mine. He couldn't catch the mother but got the kits. They were adorably cute and VERY loud. He's a "friendly trapper" who was going to raise the kits until they were big enough and release them in the wild.

I know I've told this story here before, but since it fits the thread: The trapper told me, rather apologetically, that if the mother got too aggressive he might have to shoot her with the pellet gun to make her back off, and would that be all right with me. All I could think was "Pellet gun? Don't you have a real one?" I didn't say it, I was afraid he'd be offended.

Swift
2013-Apr-25, 04:48 PM
All I could think was "Pellet gun? Don't you have a real one?" I didn't say it, I was afraid he'd be offended.
\Crocodile Dundee Mode\
That's not a gun.... that's a gun!

Jim
2013-Apr-25, 05:12 PM
If only we could get rid of all our waste/problems that way. "Big pile of trash, free to good home!"

We do that in our neighborhood.

The second Wednesday is heavy trash pickup. You can put it out anytime after 6pm Tuesday. There are folks who cruise the 'hood starting Tue evening and cherry pick the trash. The BW and I often make bets on how long certain items will last.

Swift
2013-Apr-25, 06:54 PM
We do that in our neighborhood.

The second Wednesday is heavy trash pickup. You can put it out anytime after 6pm Tuesday. There are folks who cruise the 'hood starting Tue evening and cherry pick the trash. The BW and I often make bets on how long certain items will last.
Actually, that happens in our neighborhood too. Several years ago I had a couple of big trees cut down. The tree service cut the trees up into big chunks, but it was a lot extra to haul those away. However, they advised us that they could just put them out by the curb and they would disappear. They were exactly correct, I think it was less than 2 days for all of it to be gone, and we live on a dead-end street.

The raccoons seem to take care of a lot of the waste food too.

I have not noted anyone making off with our waste cat litter in advance of the schedule garbage pickup however.

PetersCreek
2013-Apr-25, 06:59 PM
I think the quickest way to get rid of an unwanted, curb-side item is to put a "for sale" sign on it. Someone will be along shortly to steal it.

SeanF
2013-Apr-25, 09:58 PM
There are folks who cruise the 'hood starting Tue evening and cherry pick the trash. The BW and I often make bets on how long certain items will last.
We threw out our daughter's chair (one of those foam things) after she, shall we say, "christened" it. Somebody took it before the trash collector came around.

Jens
2013-Apr-26, 02:12 AM
If you have someone trap a raccoon (for example in your house or on your property), they cannot be relocated (except elsewhere on your own property), but have to be destroyed.

That sounds pretty draconian. If a person traps a raccoon, that person has to be destroyed? :)

Ara Pacis
2013-Apr-26, 06:51 AM
Well, maybe someone would want to make a 'coon skin cap.

Perikles
2013-Apr-26, 08:13 AM
I think the quickest way to get rid of an unwanted, curb-side item is to put a "for sale" sign on it. Someone will be along shortly to steal it.Reminds me of the old story of the efforts of the Greek government to persuade the very conservative peasants to plant potatoes. They failed totally when seed potatoes were handed out for free, the peasants didn't want to know. So they piled them up in some public space (the potatoes, not the peasants) and placed them under heavy military guard, and of course the whole lot disappeared overnight.

publiusr
2013-Apr-26, 08:15 PM
I think the same went for Idaho potatoes. The N.O.W. boycotted them for some reason, and a bunch of geezers started buying whole buggies full of them.

Their poor wives who had to deal with them...and the potatoes.

starcanuck64
2013-Apr-26, 08:50 PM
What could go wrong?

I enjoy this story about two police officers who got a call about an animal in a house in Chicago.

The story starts at about the 20:00 minute mark.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/115/first-day