PDA

View Full Version : Ouroboros

Glom
2004-Nov-17, 04:35 PM
In Red Dwarf VII 'Ouroboros', they got a bit metaphysical by having Lister be his own father fulfilling a paradox that would prevent humanity from becoming extinct.

Leaving aside the Caligularity of having Kochanski being Lister's mother, there is a biological problem with this. Lister is Lister, but Lister's son would be half Lister and half Kochanski so his son can't be him.

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-17, 04:43 PM
Here's an off-the-cuff-with-no-real-though-to-it (TM) reply:

Lister is 1/2 Lister and 1/2 Kochanski, he goes back and imparts his genetic material to Kochanski but by random chance, only the Lister half of the DNA gets transferred to Kochanski and thus the 1/2 - 1/2 ratio continues.

Hey it's SciFi and as I warned, no real thought to it :D

PS, all the discussion about RD here made my wife and I rent the series to see what all the hype is about.

papageno
2004-Nov-17, 04:50 PM
Are we sure that Lister fathered the Lister of his same dimension.
Couldn't he have fathered the Lister of another dimension, and he himself be the son of a Lister of yet another dimension?

Rue
2004-Nov-17, 05:00 PM
Hey! Does that make Lister a mother(well you know)?

Nowhere Man
2004-Nov-17, 05:09 PM
Probably. I'm reading Sophocles right now, so Tom Lehrer's proposed theme for Oedipus Rex is rolling around my brain.

There once lived a man named Oedipus Rex
You may have heard about his odd complex
His name appears in Freud's index
'Cuz he ... loved his mother! (etc., etc.)
Fred

eburacum45
2004-Nov-18, 10:21 PM
Isn't Fry his own grandpa as well?

The genetic problems with both scenarios are mindboggling.

Van Rijn
2004-Nov-18, 11:49 PM
Isn't Fry his own grandpa as well?

The genetic problems with both scenarios are mindboggling.

Yes, and in Fry's case, this provided him with his unique "Superior inferior mind" with no delta waves - unlike every other animal, all robots, and some trees. :D