PDA

View Full Version : Debunkers Delight

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-18, 12:15 PM
The Debunkers Delight
*How to be an internet debunker...*

#1.) The burden of proof is always on the woo-woo making a sensational claim, even when he or she is not making a claim. Cause them to get frustrated.

#2.) After a woo-woo gets banned or leaves a discussion, chant the following 3 times: ďMundane Claims Win The Day, Mundane Claims Win The Day, Mundane Claims Win The DayĒ.

#3.) None of youíre claims need to be proven, because youíre not the one making a sensational claim. Keep repeating this to yourself so as to make sure the woo-woo canít ever challenge you.

#4.) If you let a woo-woo go, without impugning or attacking them personally, then you are not doing it correctly. You must find them stupid, and inferior.

#5.) Woo-wooís are stupid and inferior.

#6.) A sensational claim is only wrong, if itís presented by a woo-woo, or someone not as educated as yourself. If a fellow debunker presents a sensational claim, pretend the idea has merrit. (Take one for the team)

#7.) Always explain away a UFO as natural, remember you donít have to prove anything. If you claim itís something natural, the burden of proof is on them to prove itís not natural. This way you can claim itís anything.

#8.) The truth can be our enemy, if the truth supports a sensational claim. Itís then youíre job to distort or confuse the truth so as to support a more mundane explanation.

#9.) Donít ever offer words of support, or agreement with a woo-woo. Constantly attack, harass and confuse them. Remember how much smarter, and more important you are than a stupid woo-woo.

#10.) Visit www.badastronomy.com and find a woo-woo to be destroyed. Search the banned list to reminisce and enjoy youíre past work. If the banned userís list does not exist create one. Use this to compare other woo-wooís to past ones.

Yes this is a shrewd take off of someones signature with this link: http://watchingyou.com/woowoo.html

Glom
2004-Nov-18, 12:24 PM
That's sour grapes if I ever heard it.

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-18, 12:27 PM
That's sour grapes if I ever heard it.

Sour grapes? You have to prove youre sensational claim... lol no just kidding. :P

Paul Mitchell
2004-Nov-18, 12:43 PM
The Debunkers Delight
*How to be an internet debunker...*

[snip]

Yes this is a shrewd take off of someones signature with this link: http://watchingyou.com/woowoo.html

I'm not sure "shrewd" is quite the right word...

Nicolas
2004-Nov-18, 12:51 PM
Well said! I don't get how people can just keep believing in mundane things like moon landings! 8-[

N C More
2004-Nov-18, 12:56 PM
I say that we amuse ourselves here (http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/whilet.html) until the BA shows up.

iFire
2004-Nov-18, 01:15 PM
My favorite is:

#8.) The truth can be our enemy, if the truth supports a sensational claim. Itís then youíre job to distort or confuse the truth so as to support a more mundane explanation.

Hehe.

Nicolas
2004-Nov-18, 01:22 PM

At least my life has been given a direction now.

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-18, 01:33 PM
I say that we amuse ourselves here (http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/whilet.html) until the BA shows up.

NC More is proving the list correct.

Why does he want the BA to show up?

To get me, the woo-woo banned. :D

NC More, remember to do the chant.

Hamlet
2004-Nov-18, 02:43 PM
If you can't stand to have your ideas scrutinized than perhaps you should play in a different sandbox. Is this list a reaction to being spanked one to many times be people who actually know what they're talking about?

sts60
2004-Nov-18, 10:40 PM
To get me, the woo-woo banned.

Pffffft. Perhaps you haven't noticed the number of long-time BABB members who believe in Sitchin's ideas/Planet X, that the Big Bang is wrong, that certain versions of astrology work, etc.?

The reason they haven't been banned is that they actually try to back up their assertions, avoid being rude, etc. People aren't banned here just for claiming non-mainstream or outright woo-woo things. We have had at least one vociferous "debunker" banned, also.

iFire
2004-Nov-18, 11:03 PM

One thing I just noticed... just a grammer thing... "You're" (You are) was used where "Your" (Possessive) should have been used... Sorry, just annoys the hell outta me. (It would sound really weird: "It's then you are job to...")

Weird Dave
2004-Nov-18, 11:15 PM
Since it is normally the "woo-woo" who comes here to make the claim, it is up to him/her to present evidence for what they say. If someone from this board went to a UFO believers' board to debunk UFOs, it would be the visitor who should provide evidence first. If he said, for example, that a certain picture of a UFO was really a weather balloon, he should back this up with pictures of weather balloons to show the similarity.

Also, it is normal that the more sensational the claim, the greater the evidence must be. The idea that the universe is expanding would probably have been laughed at if it had been presented on this board in about 1910ish. But then, in the 20s and 30s (I might have the dates slightly wrong), extraordinary evidence was obtained that showed the Universe was indeed expanding. This evidence was scrutinised by other scientists, more observations were made, and we now accept the expanding Universe as pretty much proved.

The claim that extraterrestrial spacecraft buzz about the Earth, never contact human authorities and are only seen by isolated individuals, seems extraordinary to me. It therefore requires extremely good proof, and a few funny objects in blurred photos isn't that proof. I might add that every nutter or hoaxer who makes a false UFO claim is making it more likely that we will ignore a real UFO. So please, only make UFO claims if you have some darn good evidence.

A live television interview with an alien, broadcast on several independent channels, mentioned in Parliament/Congress, and not occurring on April 1st, might possibly be good enough evidence. :)

Wolverine
2004-Nov-18, 11:23 PM
Folks, as R.A.F has already pointed out (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17747), and as per the FAQ (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#1), it would be most appropriate to simply refrain from responding further.

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-19, 05:37 AM
Folks, as R.A.F has already pointed out (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17747), and as per the FAQ (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/faq.php#1), it would be most appropriate to simply refrain from responding further.

Wolverine want's to achieve #10. :)

Nicolas
2004-Nov-19, 01:21 PM
Wolverine want's to achieve #10.

No.

(19-11-2004: Edited to change "Yes" into "No")

Just kidding.

PhantomWolf
2004-Nov-20, 08:35 AM
Robbie, I really don't understand you. You cntinue to look at poor jpegs and see things that aren't there, refusing to listen to people who have had vast experience examining photos and who clearly have shown you, very patiently, why what you claim is wrong. You refuse to support the things you obvious believe, and you are rude to people who dare to disagree with you.

You have returned, what 3? 4? times since you were first banned and at least two of those times were given the chance to change, you didn't. Instead you seem to delight in breaking the board's rules just to get banned over and over again, skiting about your previous actions knowing the results.

I seriously think you need to go and seek medical help because the only explaination I can think of to explain your actions on this board involves mental instability.

ComputerTech
2004-Nov-20, 08:53 AM
Robbie, I really don't understand you. You cntinue to look at poor jpegs and see things that aren't there, refusing to listen to people who have had vast experience examining photos and who clearly have shown you, very patiently, why what you claim is wrong. You refuse to support the things you obvious believe, and you are rude to people who dare to disagree with you.

You have returned, what 3? 4? times since you were first banned and at least two of those times were given the chance to change, you didn't. Instead you seem to delight in breaking the board's rules just to get banned over and over again, skiting about your previous actions knowing the results.

I seriously think you need to go and seek medical help because the only explaination I can think of to explain your actions on this board involves mental instability.

I've alerted the BA to you're comments...

:P Not really.. I just wanted to say that for once!

If you do not understand me, then how could you believe I am insane?

And also, I have challenged many a debunker's claims many times. You're wrong on just about everything you said.

Now, if you will excuse me I have to go take my meds.

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-20, 09:04 AM
I've alerted the BA to you're comments...

Um, once again, you're is an abbreviation of 'you are'. As iFire pointed out earlier, the possessive is 'your'.

You're wrong on just about everything you said.

Now you're getting the hang of it! 8)