PDA

View Full Version : Burj Khalifa and Mt. Everest

cjackson
2013-May-04, 12:01 AM
http://kapdesign.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/sky-high-infographic1.jpg

I was just wondering if that is an accurate illustration of how BK stacks up against Everest?

Nowhere Man
2013-May-04, 01:09 AM
The numbers are right, anyway. Although Everest isn't that skinny.

Fred

SeanF
2013-May-04, 02:35 AM
I question the appropriateness of comparing Everest's height above sea level to Burj Khalifa's height above ground level. :)

Scriitor
2013-May-04, 04:53 AM
I question the appropriateness of comparing Everest's height above sea level to Burj Khalifa's height above ground level. :)

The ground level of Dubai, which is at sea level.

Nowhere Man
2013-May-04, 02:38 PM
So add about 50 feet or so (the rough elevation of Dubai proper) to the Burj's height.

Since Everest is in a mountain range, where would a ground-level reference be?

Fred

Trebuchet
2013-May-04, 03:31 PM
When we visited Hawaii years ago there was a really interesting graphic on the wall of the Volcano National Park visitor center making a similar comparison between Mauna Loa and our own Mt. Rainier. It was to scale both horizontally and vertical, and extended from the sea floor to the top of the mountains. Rainier is slightly taller, but oh my, the sheer width and mass of Mauna Loa. As I recall, it was spread over 10 or 15 horizontal feet of wall while Rainier was only a foot or two wide at the base. And the base to peak height was 2 or 3 times that of Rainier.

Ara Pacis
2013-May-04, 07:02 PM
So add about 50 feet or so (the rough elevation of Dubai proper) to the Burj's height.

Since Everest is in a mountain range, where would a ground-level reference be?

Fred

The Tibetan (Himalayan) Plateau? The Geoid?

HenrikOlsen
2013-May-04, 07:48 PM
http://kapdesign.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/sky-high-infographic1.jpg

I was just wondering if that is an accurate illustration of how BK stacks up against Everest?
Did you know that if you make a human tower of 4,853 6' men <answer>they're all going to die</answer>?

Ara Pacis
2013-May-04, 09:33 PM
Did you know that if you make a human tower of 4,853 6' men <answer>they're all going to die</answer>?

All but the top few levels die from crushing injuries while the top few die of altitude-induced hypoxia.

SeanF
2013-May-05, 07:16 PM
The ground level of Dubai, which is at sea level.
Ha! I suppose that's fair enough. :)

Glom
2013-May-06, 10:52 PM
Comparing Everest to the Burj Khalifa? Don't encourage the Emirati. They'll only take it as a challenge.

They have an artificial island chain in the form of a map of the world. They'll make the elevations to scale next.

NEOWatcher
2013-May-07, 03:31 PM
They have an artificial island chain in the form of a map of the world. They'll make the elevations to scale next.
About 4 feet above sea level for Mount Everest.

One person steps on the sand? Boom... grand canyon.