PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is "Silverlight"?

Trebuchet
2013-May-06, 03:51 PM
I just got a message in Chrome that the Silverlight plugin was blocked because it was out of date. A very brief Google indicated it's a Microsoft product, but what the heck does it do? Is it MS's substitute for Flash, or Javascript, or something? Is it worth letting it update? I've given up on updating Flash, it doesn't seem to improve the stability and Adobe is always trying to push an unwanted McAfee product on me.

profloater
2013-May-06, 05:44 PM
I am no expert but it seems to be necessary to view some types of video such as Netflix streamed stuff. I got the same message (when using Netflix), took a chance and went ahead and it seems to work!.

Infinity Watcher
2013-May-06, 07:42 PM
I just got a message in Chrome that the Silverlight plugin was blocked because it was out of date. A very brief Google indicated it's a Microsoft product, but what the heck does it do? Is it MS's substitute for Flash, or Javascript, or something? Is it worth letting it update? I've given up on updating Flash, it doesn't seem to improve the stability and Adobe is always trying to push an unwanted McAfee product on me.

It's basically Microsoft's answer to Flash to try and break into Adobe's effective monopoly. I'd recommend updating Flash, not for any stability gains but because they do routinely close various security holes with their updates (granted they open new ones every so often but it's still safer on the whole to stay updated). I agree about hte annoyingness of them trying to push McAfee though... if I wanted Mcafee I would be running McAfee advertising is one thing but don't try and slip an install past my guard like that...

Trebuchet
2013-May-06, 11:24 PM
The McAfee thing wound up on one of my computers a couple of weeks ago because I had to reinstall Adobe Reader. There was no option NOT to get the McAfee. And the machine was already running the enterprise version of McAfee Anti-virus, provided by my employer because I did work on that computer, so it shouldn't be needed.

Groan. Sometimes I hate computers, and the internet, and software companies and....

ETA: I went ahead and installed Silverlight. Didn't even bother watching the offending video, just tired of the notice every time I visited Pharyngula.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-07, 12:20 AM

Moose
2013-May-08, 04:55 PM
[...] because I had to reinstall Adobe Reader.

Might consider switching to FoxIt. Even if you're not running firefox, there's a standalone version that seems to be more functional than Reader in most ways, and no shenanigans that I've ever been able to detect.

JohnD
2013-May-09, 08:27 AM
Microsoft Silverlight is website editing software.
See: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

I use a version to edit pages of my employer's corporate website, to which I've been given 'priviledges'.
I'm not an expert and it's not great to use!
There are several guidance documents at http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/.

John

NoChoice
2013-May-09, 11:29 AM
Microsoft Silverlight is website editing software.
See: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

I use a version to edit pages of my employer's corporate website, to which I've been given 'priviledges'.
I'm not an expert and it's not great to use!
There are several guidance documents at http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/.

John

Sorry to be so blunt, but no, not even close.
It is not an editor of any kind.

It is an API or SDK. "Infinity Watcher" had it right: it was originally designed as M$'s answer to flash.

It is a subset of .NET specifically adapted for the purposes and security demands of web-pages. It is (or can be) the intelligence behind a web-site. It allows you to add multi-media features very easily. It allows you to develop very complex and responsive (WPF based) user interfaces for web-sites very easily.

Anybody who has developed software for .NET and WPF will be immediately at home in Silverlight.
Most .NET classes and methods and WPF controls are exactly the same in Silverlight.
It integrates very well into the existing development tools of M$, specifically Visual Studio and Expression Blend.

With the release of version 5 M$ has announced that it will be discontinued. People still use it and will continue to do so.
But for the time being M$ - like most companies - have their bets on HTML5.

JohnD
2013-May-10, 07:53 AM
I'm quite prepared, NoChoice, to suck up your very blunt reply, as between us we have given Trebuchet an answer that was previously missing in this thread.

I was 'given' Silverlight by our IT to add material to the webpages of my department, and told to get on with it.
Your reply has shown me that IT people tend to expect us poor nerks to know what API, SDK and WPF are, and to know that you need "Visual Studio" and "Expression Blend" to integrate with it. I didn't know these existed and had to find a user manual for Silverlight for myself.

Please - your and your kin are ambassadors into the IT world and language. Be ambassadors, who introduce and facilitate, not doormen who shove you inside and leave you in darkness.

John

NoChoice
2013-May-10, 08:08 AM
I'm quite prepared, NoChoice, to suck up your very blunt reply, as between us we have given Trebuchet an answer that was previously missing in this thread.

I was 'given' Silverlight by our IT to add material to the webpages of my department, and told to get on with it.
Your reply has shown me that IT people tend to expect us poor nerks to know what API, SDK and WPF are, and to know that you need "Visual Studio" and "Expression Blend" to integrate with it. I didn't know these existed and had to find a user manual for Silverlight for myself.

Please - your and your kin are ambassadors into the IT world and language. Be ambassadors, who introduce and facilitate, not doormen who shove you inside and leave you in darkness.

John

Point very well made.
Point taken.

Sorry about that.