PDA

View Full Version : Snow in the UK!

2004-Nov-18, 06:49 PM
Well guys...It's finally snowing here in the UK! I know that you Americans and Canadians have been digging yourselves out of 20-foot snowdrifts for weeks - but we have a millimetre of the white stuff... :D :D :D

And, that means transport chaos!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o

papageno
2004-Nov-18, 06:53 PM
Well, it is not snowing down here. [-(

cyswxman
2004-Nov-18, 07:46 PM
Transport chaos? From a millimeter (millimetre) of snow? :-k

dvb
2004-Nov-18, 07:49 PM
Well, it is not snowing down here. [-(

Nor is it here. :-?

11C (51F) and sunny here, and not complaining either. This has turned out to be quite the indian summer so far around here.

Also, I didn't know that snow was so rare in the UK. 8-[

2004-Nov-18, 07:56 PM
Transport chaos? From a millimeter (millimetre) of snow? :-k

A millimetre is serious over here... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it's not frozen points, inundated road-gritters, it's [believe it or not! :o ] the wrong kind of snow!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

cyswxman
2004-Nov-18, 08:01 PM
Maybe you're talking about freezing rain coating everything with ice????

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-18, 08:18 PM
Transport chaos? From a millimeter (millimetre) of snow?

Yes, we get so little snow (just a few weeks every year) most drivers panic at the thought. I has just taken me 1 1/2 hours to drive a journey that would normaly take less than 20 min, it WAS snowing (wet white stuff falling from the sky) but none of it was sticking to the road. SNOW! PANIC! HELP!!! :evil:

cyswxman
2004-Nov-18, 08:31 PM
Interesting. I thought you got more snow. I found this link (http://www.meto.gov.uk/climate/uk/location/scotland/snow.html/) on snow on the ground in Scotland.
(And now I figured out how to post links!! :D )

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-18, 08:35 PM
Interesting. I thought you got more snow. I found this link (http://www.meto.gov.uk/climate/uk/location/scotland/snow.html/) on snow on the ground in Scotland.
(And now I figured out how to post links!! :D )

Scotland is about 200 miles north, they get more snow than England (that's why they invented whiskey!) :D

cyswxman
2004-Nov-18, 08:40 PM
That makes sense. I just noted Pete Tattum is from Scotland, according to his profile on the left side of his posts.

Wally
2004-Nov-18, 08:44 PM
59 (F) and partly sunny here today. Amazing for this time of year. Have a feeling we'll end up paying for our mild autumn though.

Wolverine
2004-Nov-18, 08:54 PM
In Central Texas, it only requires a hint of frozen precipitation to cause slow, white-knuckled driving. I've seen simple snow flurries (which usually don't even accumulate because the temperature's never below freezing for long) wreak utter havoc. :-?

N C More
2004-Nov-18, 09:03 PM
Here in New England snow doesn't even "count" unless there's more than 6 inches! However, that doesn't mean that people drive particularly well. Sort of like, "familiarity breeds contempt", so they just hit the accelerator!

cyswxman
2004-Nov-18, 09:08 PM
Here in Wyoming, the worst traveling conditions can occur 2,3,4 days after the snowfall, when our 40-60kt wind comes up and rearranges it! :evil: :o

crateris
2004-Nov-18, 09:11 PM
I only have one thing to say:

AHEM.......

Chemtrails!!!

(I absolutely could not resist!)

:lol:

C.

Careless
2004-Nov-19, 01:44 AM
Here in New England snow doesn't even "count" unless there's more than 6 inches! However, that doesn't mean that people drive particularly well. Sort of like, "familiarity breeds contempt", so they just hit the accelerator!
And yet, just across your border in NY state, an inch or two causes panic. I just don't get it. If they think there's going to be a couple inches of snow overnight, they close all the schools. They act like southerners

Maksutov
2004-Nov-19, 02:01 AM
And yet, just across your border in NY state, an inch or two causes panic. I just don't get it. If they think there's going to be a couple inches of snow overnight, they close all the schools. They act like southerners
That depends on which part of the New England border you're talking about.

If it's the Fairfield County, CT border, then that's pretty close. But if it's the N. CT, Massachusetts, and Vermont borders, then those upstate NY folks are used to multifoot snowfalls and drifts measured in yahds. :D Not that they don't drive like maniacs in it, but they're used to it. Takes near-blizzard conditions to get the schools closed up there.

2004-Nov-19, 07:04 AM
Well, as we have two inches of the white stuff on the ground today, get ready for a nutter who tries to ski to work...Some folks will do anything for publicity!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

See the snow and spot the loony!! :o

Crazieman
2004-Nov-19, 08:23 AM
In Kansas we get surprisingly little snow, however, we don't freak out over it. I think it has to do with we're used to extremes.

Biggest snowfall on record here is 18 inches, to put it in perspective.

However, we do freak over freezing rain.

Van Rijn
2004-Nov-19, 09:21 AM
Well guys...It's finally snowing here in the UK! I know that you Americans and Canadians have been digging yourselves out of 20-foot snowdrifts for weeks - but we have a millimetre of the white stuff... :D :D :D

Uhm ... not here (Sacramento, CA). Every decade or so, there is a very short lived (as in minutes or hours) dusting. In the early '60s we actually had a a couple of inches. Once (I've seen pictures to prove it). We get a real freeze somewhat more often. Really hits the orange trees. Last time if you banged my prize cactus, it sounded like a bell. It turned to mush after it unfroze *sigh* ...

Of course, a short trip to the mountains changes all that ... and I do know what real snow is like. In Alaska, we would get plenty of snow but they know how to handle it very effectively. They aren't nearly as good in Nebraska.

2004-Nov-19, 09:43 AM
There's a favourite whine over here: Why do they always cope in America and Canada, yet we always grind to a standstill? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

The odd thing is, people so-quickly forget all those TV pictures of New Yorkers and Torontians [?] sliding about after an ice storm... #-o

dvb
2004-Nov-19, 09:51 AM
If memory servers, 8 years ago we had a snowfall of 51cm. This lead to our city having one of the best snow removal systems in the country. All snow is removed from the streets here within 72 hours.

frogesque
2004-Nov-19, 09:57 AM
The UK isn't a white-out though. Here in Central Fife (elevation 800ft) we haven't had any snow and it's a beautifull cold crisp morning with clear blue sky. Some dusting visible on distant hills at about 1500ft but that's all.

Hope it stays that way :D

2004-Nov-19, 10:02 AM
No snow in Peat Inn then, I take it??? :D :D :D :D

frogesque
2004-Nov-19, 10:17 AM
I'm in Glenrothes and Peat Inn is only a few miles away and further east so I doubt it. I can't see Largo Law from here and it might have a white top but there's none on East or West Lomond (West is about 1400 ft). Snow looks pretty when it's on calanders and cards but not so great when you have to shovel it. You don't have to share it with us, I'm sure it's much happier in Glenuquhart :lol:

2004-Nov-19, 10:34 AM
It's like a Chistmas card Frogesque.

There must be almost as many roundabouts in Glenrothes as there are in Milton Keynes...It's murder on the front offside tyre??? :D :D :D

Wally
2004-Nov-19, 01:03 PM

Same thing happens in Central Illinois! A few inches of snow overnight, and the entire town shuts down. I'd hate to think how many days off the kids would get here in Michigan if we followed suit. . .

2004-Nov-19, 01:17 PM
For anyone who's interested:

It's 0.5C (32.9F), brilliantly sunny - and there's 3" of snow on the ground!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2004-Nov-20, 04:23 PM
18F on a November afternoon? What's happening??? :o :o #-o

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-20, 04:54 PM

-3C on a november lunch time no cloud cover and a gas leak which means no heating at my college and its colder today :(

2004-Nov-20, 05:28 PM

-3C on a november lunch time no cloud cover and a gas leak which means no heating at my college and its colder today :(

Never mind EMP - things'll be back to normal, come Monday... :D :D :D

AstroSmurf
2004-Nov-22, 09:56 AM
Really strange weather this morning in Gothenburg... Snowing, plus thunder & lightning! :o

I was thinking thunder was limited to hot weather, which it definitely isn't right now (brrr...)

Maksutov
2004-Nov-22, 10:10 AM
Global warming...

cyswxman
2004-Nov-22, 10:10 AM
Thundersnow is not a common occurrance, but it can and does happen. Even though the weather isn't "hot", there is still sufficient instability; the surface temp is cold, but the temperatures higher up are really cold, thus convection can be realized. (There are other factors that are typically present when thundersnow occurs)

Maksutov
2004-Nov-22, 10:11 AM
Really strange weather this morning in Gothenburg... Snowing, plus thunder & lightning! :o

I was thinking thunder was limited to hot weather, which it definitely isn't right now (brrr...)
Not that unusual. We would get at least a couple of winter storms every year in Connecticut where there was lightning and thunder.