PDA

View Full Version : 2008 to 2013 Saturn Comparison

bloodhound31
2013-May-07, 02:41 PM
Interesting...

In 2008, I was using a much more powerful 11 inch reflector telescope, a low grade capture device - ToUcam and an image aligning and stacking program called Registax.

I really had no clue what I was doing, but was pretty excited to even get the rings of Saturn. Registax was a confusing muddle of wavelets, gamma and other things I find hard to understand.

Today, I have a less powerful, but good quality refractor telescope, a much better capture device (DBK618) and still no idea how to use Registax.

I had a go a few nights ago and tried processing in Registax and here's the interesting part.....even with no idea, I just played with sliders and stuff until I got something worth looking at, which I must say was as suprising as it was shocking to me that it turned out as well as it did. I'm not sure how much better it would be if I knew what I was doing, but I'm sure there would be some improvement at least.

So, without further ado, I present to you my dismal 2008 attempt, and today's proper first-light processed image through the new rig.

1. Pathetic
http://i.imgur.com/L4Q5U0R.jpg

2. Showing enough promise to keep me going.
http://i.imgur.com/s3SetA9.jpg

LookingSkyward
2013-May-07, 02:44 PM
Nice! I managed to get my 1st look up of the year on Friday, and the Grand Lady of the Planets was my view. Pretty spectacular even with just my little dob!

bloodhound31
2013-May-07, 03:14 PM
Nice! I managed to get my 1st look up of the year on Friday, and the Grand Lady of the Planets was my view. Pretty spectacular even with just my little dob!

She is rather gorgeous isn't she?

LookingSkyward
2013-May-08, 08:50 AM
That she is. I was hoping to get some more tube time this weekend, but it looks like we're back to clouds.

redshifter
2013-May-10, 05:39 PM
That she is. I was hoping to get some more tube time this weekend, but it looks like we're back to clouds.

With the string of nice weather in the Pacific NW, I've been out 3 times over the last week. Last weekend the transparency was pretty good for galaxies, but the seeing was poor, so Saturn was pretty distorted even at 70X. It's still pretty low after sunset which doesn't help. Last night however the transparency was terrible - lots of pollution and haze has built up in the atmosphere and has nowhere to go. The seeing was great though, and Saturn was looking real good!