PDA

View Full Version : WIndows 7 Boot up issue

Tog
2013-May-08, 07:19 AM
This could easily go into the "Things that bug me" thread, but I figure there is either a solution, or it the start of a bigger problem.

My laptop is running Windows 7, 64 bit. Monday morning I turned it on and logged in with my password, just like always. No updates were done that night.
I turned it off, a few hours later, then turned it back on shortly after, on battery. When I put in my password it asked me what program I wanted to use to open my <username> file, which displayed as Bill. I canceled this and everything was fine.
The next two time I booted up, it's asked me to pick the program to open the username file.

Why is it doing this?
How do I make it stop?
Is this a symptom of something "bad" about to happen?

orionjim
2013-May-08, 01:39 PM
The first thing I would do is a thorough virus scan and if that doesn’t help then I would do a Link File Association fix (just Google it).

Tog
2013-May-10, 10:29 AM
Thanks.
Virus check was clean. My other LNK files all open fine. I can't even find the bootup username file.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-10, 03:07 PM
Haven't encountered this problem. I would try first to hit F8 during boot, between the BIOS message and before Windows starts, to access the boot option menu, and select "Last Known Good Configuration." Probably too late, but worth a try.

The next thing is to see if somehow a system file has become corrupted and to fix it, following these instructions (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html). You will need to have your install DVD handy, though the mfgr may have set things so the original files can be found on a hidden install partition, in which case you simply will not be asked to direct Windows to the source files (what we are after.) If while following this you find it is proper to do a System Restore (as per the site), do so, but most changes since that backup was made will be lost. Anything not on the C drive will probably remain mostly intact, and some deleted files may reappear.

If none of that works, it would be interesting to see if you are getting a slew of error messages in Event Viewer at boot time. My shift starts now, so I'll check back tonight (no internet on the job? how archaic!)