PDA

View Full Version : Life, Maturity and stuff

starcanuck64
2013-May-13, 10:12 PM
Two weeks to go before I hit the BIG 50 and I'm trying to put this event into perspective.

I don't feel fifty and in my mind's eye I don't look it either, but I'm pretty sure I look that way to others. I'm kind of struggling to figure out how I should be acting, thinking and so on as I enter a period of life where I'm supposedly mature. I don't feel that way, I don't have a lot of the responsibilities and commitments of a lot of people my age, and I can have more fun playing around with ideas than doing something physical.

I was just wondering what it was like for others when they hit the half century mark or how people who are getting close feel about it.

ShinAce
2013-May-13, 10:43 PM
Changes in lifestyle due to age are usually so gradual you don't see them. You may feel like you're 30, but when was the last time you went out with your friends till 4 in the morning and took a cab home? When was the last time you sharpened your skates? When was the last time you did a big old cannonball in the pool? Or went waterskiing? Or spent three hours in the kitchen?

You don't have to be mature, or physical. But I think it's good that you're taking a look at yourself to figure out what your style is! And what you want your style to be!

HenrikOlsen
2013-May-13, 10:43 PM
I though that maturity was supposed to be at 40, but it doesn't seem to have arrived yet. If possible I'm having more fun than ever with the twists life is throwing me.

PetersCreek
2013-May-13, 11:03 PM
50 wasn't a big deal to me. I turned 52 not long ago and I'm a mixed bag. Physically, I feel every year of it and then some, due to rheumatoid arthritis. Thanks to genetics on my mother's side of the family, I look younger than my age, even with the white whiskers in my beard. I could pass for 40 if I shaved, since I have only a few gray hairs on the old noggin. I'm also a bit mixed mentally/emotionally. I a big kid who likes to play with his toys...but I also joke that I'm a codger-in-training.

Noclevername
2013-May-13, 11:12 PM
Act how old you feel. You're not going to get a second chance, so enjoy the playtime while it lasts.

iquestor
2013-May-13, 11:31 PM
Im 47, and stay physically active, as does my wife, same age. I am feeling some of my years, but I try not to let it slow me down too much. Im familiar with the term for older people, stop moving, start dying, and I have seen it happen, so I want to stay active as long as possible.

redshifter
2013-May-14, 12:08 AM
I think staying physically and mentally active is important, no matter your age. I'm a few short years away from 50 (and my wife teases me about being in my '5th decade'...but then again so is she...) and I've definitely felt the physical signs of aging - anything that gets sprained, twisted, pulled, tweaked, twisted, etc. stays that way a lot longer than it used to, and doing stuff now that I did when I was 30 (i.e. a long day of physical labor) wears me out a lot more than it used to. Still, as long as you're not hurting others, are able to legally support yourself and/or significant others who may depend on you, treating others as you would want to be treated, and are satisfied with your quality of life, then I don't know there's any specific way you 'should' be acting. I don't feel like I need to act any certain way, and IMO too many folks out there don't embrace their inner child often enough, and take themselves and life in general too seriously.

Gillianren
2013-May-14, 01:05 AM
You may feel like you're 30, but when was the last time you went out with your friends till 4 in the morning and took a cab home?

Never.

When was the last time you sharpened your skates?

I've never even owned ice skates.

When was the last time you did a big old cannonball in the pool?

No diving allowed in our pool.

Or went waterskiing?

Never.

Or spent three hours in the kitchen?

Saturday?

I've got more than a decade to go before fifty (though a pair of twins I baby-sat as a teenager just announced their "shared half-century" party, presumably in a devious plot to make us all feel old), and goodness knows my knees tend to act like they're working to beat the rest of me there. However, I do agree that not letting the specific age wear you down is important. If you're still enjoying yourself, that's more important than a chronological milestone.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-14, 02:35 AM

Swift
2013-May-14, 12:48 PM
I'm kind of struggling to figure out how I should be acting, thinking and so on as I enter a period of life where I'm supposedly mature.
If you figure it out, please let the rest of us know. :D

I'm 54. Turning 50 really didn't seem particularly traumatic. I seem to be kind of at a point of ignoring birthdays. Turning 40 seemed much more a negative life event for me, but that passed too. I have my set of faults, worries, and regrets, but they don't seem to be particularly tied to my age, at least any longer... they're just me.

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 01:01 PM
I'm not divulging my age, but let's just say I can relate to the "changing of appearance" quandry. My current hairstyle cannot go on indefinitely. The question is when exactly do I change it? Because eventually it'll be "too young."

I'm a non-conformist, so it will get difficult.

Trebuchet
2013-May-14, 02:33 PM
A wise man, my one-year-younger cousin, once said, "You can't have any fun if you act grown up." That, I guess, is why I keep hurling pumpkins.

I myself am turning 65 in a few months, and have to sign up for Medicare soon. It's been getting to me a bit, but my continuing physical improvement after my accident compensates for it pretty well. (Milestone yesterday -- no cane all day!) I'm not sure how to go about acting like a geezer so I suppose I'll just go on acting like myself! At least I'll be able to save a buck or two on the ferries.

The biggest life-changing birthday I ever had was 30. Because I also got married on that day!

SphinxCore
2013-May-14, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, is this image of being mature and grown-up from the Andy Hardy movies?

At 54, I have a young wife and a muffin in the oven, and I plan to die with my boots on so to speak.

Though a bit broken, I can still hike the high country, albeit a bit more slowly. I may need to hit the treadmill or the track more than I do but that's scheduling.

Life is what you make it, it's the reality you shape for yourself.

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 04:13 PM
A wise man, my one-year-younger cousin, once said, "You can't have any fun if you act grown up." That, I guess, is why I keep hurling pumpkins.

:naughty:

Abuse of pumpkins. :mad:

:)

Luckmeister
2013-May-14, 05:37 PM
I have chosen not to ignore my aging process until the passage of another decade hits me in the head and triggers depression. I try to constantly re-evaluate where I am in each "first day of the rest of my life." I'm mostly just glad I've survived a few near-death experiences that helped renew my appreciation of life.

My close friends are all about 20 years younger than I and, now in their 50s, they complain about how old they're getting. I just say, "It's all relative; you wish you were 30 and I wish I were your age. Just try to be at your best, whatever your age is."

NEOWatcher
2013-May-14, 05:46 PM
I'm kind of struggling to figure out how I should be acting, thinking and so on as I enter a period of life where I'm supposedly mature.
Don't. Maturity has nothing to do with being an adult. Maturity has to do with experience.

I stopped caring about that when I was about 24. Got married, bought a house. To me I was an adult. Since then, it didn't matter. It was just a matter of how life was spent.

50 was good in one way. It was a big milestone excuse to have a party centered around me.

I don't feel that way, I don't have a lot of the responsibilities and commitments of a lot of people my age, and I can have more fun playing around with ideas than doing something physical.
If you're comfortable with the choices and commitments you have made in life and don't have any big plans to change it, then I think you have reached it.

starcanuck64
2013-May-14, 07:11 PM
If you figure it out, please let the rest of us know. :D

I'm going to try a variety of approaches starting with the traditional mid-life crisis response, I'll be picking out my red sports car and toupe next week.;)

If you're comfortable with the choices and commitments you have made in life and don't have any big plans to change it, then I think you have reached it.

I think I've said something similar to others here, I just forget sometimes that it applies to me too.

starcanuck64
2013-May-14, 07:35 PM

I myself am turning 65 in a few months, and have to sign up for Medicare soon. It's been getting to me a bit, but my continuing physical improvement after my accident compensates for it pretty well. (Milestone yesterday -- no cane all day!) I'm not sure how to go about acting like a geezer so I suppose I'll just go on acting like myself! At least I'll be able to save a buck or two on the ferries.

The biggest life-changing birthday I ever had was 30. Because I also got married on that day!

Good to hear about the continued improvement.

I think fun is a big part of life, when you can't laugh and not worry about looking silly then you are getting old.

A lot of my musical heros from my youth are getting up there like Sammy Hagar who is now 65 and Mark Knopfler who is 63. My sister got me a card for my 40th birthday that said "you know you're getting old when you wish your favorite rock band would stop touring" and a cartoon of what looked like The Rolling Stones.

Trebuchet
2013-May-14, 10:57 PM
You just inspired me to look up Mick Jagger. He's 69. I'd have guessed older.

Noclevername
2013-May-14, 11:03 PM

He went to California and had his face lowered.

Swift
2013-May-15, 01:10 PM
You think Mick is scary, go look at Keith Richards. As best as I can guess by appearance, he is about 700 years old.

Trebuchet
2013-May-15, 01:36 PM
It isn't so much Mick's looks that alarm me -- it's that I first heard of him when I was a teenager, and apparently so was he!

Buttercup
2013-May-15, 01:39 PM
You think Mick is scary, go look at Keith Richards. As best as I can guess by appearance, he is about 700 years old.

:lol:

Yeah. A few years ago a cameraman did a closeup of Keith.

I wish he hadn't. :(

starcanuck64
2013-May-15, 08:06 PM

He's probably done 700 years worth of living, with some of stories you hear about his earlier days it's amazing he's still alive.

Noclevername
2013-May-15, 08:09 PM
He's probably done 700 years worth of living, with some of stories you hear about his earlier days it's amazing he's still alive.

Personally, I think he died decades ago and the 'Stones had a Muppet made from his skin so he could still go on tour.

Gillianren
2013-May-15, 09:23 PM
Personally, I think he died decades ago and the 'Stones had a Muppet made from his skin so he could still go on tour.

Of course! It all makes sense now!

starcanuck64
2013-May-15, 09:32 PM

He's come close, on one occasion they picked up a comatose Richards from his hotel bed in New York, loaded him on a plane, flew across the US and then transported him to his bed in a hotel in LA...all without waking him.

Swift
2013-May-16, 01:29 PM
:rofl:

Sure, that makes sense. I think Animal was the Stones' drummer for one tour back in the early 80s.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ODDxOCVTi3I/UBFNxIMOcCI/AAAAAAAAAWw/12df4WqSgRo/s45/20100118034248%25252521TF1-MuppetsTV-PhotoGallery-43-Animal.jpg

The Backroad Astronomer
2013-May-16, 02:49 PM
The other day I just saw my 71 year old great uncle pedal by my house with his hat turned backwards. Plus I grew up with a grandfather who in his fifties took up playing the piano by ear, while deaf in one ear and is sixties built a log cabin. Age is what you make it.

starcanuck64
2013-May-16, 06:10 PM
My mother went back to college in her 50s and finally got a degree, that's something I'd really like to do to.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-17, 12:36 AM

Ara Pacis
2013-May-17, 01:42 AM
Age is what you make of it... but sometimes you are what it makes of you. I look ten years younger than I am, I'm told, even though I started losing my hair right out of high school (and I'm not just referring to the mandatory buzz cut I got). I was really anxious about turning 40 because a grandfather and an uncle both died from heart problems in their early 40s and an older brother died of it in his mid thirties and I started having signs in my mid-20s. Last week, right on schedule, I ended up in the ER. Maybe it was unavoidable or maybe it was self-fulfilling. Either way, I hate predicting the future.

Noclevername
2013-May-17, 06:10 AM
Age is what you make of it... but sometimes you are what it makes of you. I look ten years younger than I am, I'm told, even though I started losing my hair right out of high school (and I'm not just referring to the mandatory buzz cut I got). I was really anxious about turning 40 because a grandfather and an uncle both died from heart problems in their early 40s and an older brother died of it in his mid thirties and I started having signs in my mid-20s. Last week, right on schedule, I ended up in the ER. Maybe it was unavoidable or maybe it was self-fulfilling. Either way, I hate predicting the future.

Man, that sucks. Here's hoping for a longer and healthier future than that.

Swift
2013-May-17, 01:04 PM
As Noclevername said, take care of yourself Ara Pacis.

LookingSkyward
2013-May-17, 01:05 PM
Wishing you the best, Ara Pacis.

dave

closetgeek
2013-May-17, 01:31 PM
Wow Ara Pacis. Glad you are here to post about it.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-17, 01:47 PM

Ara Pacis
2013-May-17, 02:59 PM
Thanks, everyone. :) I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Luckily there was no infarction, but with severe pain from a 90% & a 99% blockage, they had to put a stent in a coronary artery. At least now I know why I've felt exhausted for the last several years.

starcanuck64
2013-May-17, 07:17 PM
Thanks, everyone. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Luckily there was no infarction, but with severe pain from a 90% & a 99% blockage, they had to put a stent in a coronary artery. At least now I know why I've felt exhausted for the last several years..

Take care.

starcanuck64
2013-May-21, 06:46 PM
I found one way to feel young again briefly, I spent the weekend in BC with family which was nice, I haven't been back for five years and haven't been in the mountains for almost that long.

My younger brother has three kids aged 14 to 8 and they're all athletic, my brother was also a college level athlete and his wife runs marathons so they're all in amazing shape. We ended up going here.

http://www.skytrekadventurepark.com/

And did this.

http://www.skytrekadventurepark.com/high-ropes-course

My plan was to watch from the ground but I got caught up in the excitement and found myself going along an obstacle course suspended in the trees. I'm not in the best of shape and I'm still a little sore from Sunday but it was a lot of fun. I didn't do the most difficult part of circuit but did manage the green and blue courses.

My youngest nephew couldn't do the rope course, but loves climbing walls so I spent about 45 minutes watching him climbing, he's pretty amazing at 8.

Solfe
2013-May-21, 07:40 PM
I'm not divulging my age, but let's just say I can relate to the "changing of appearance" quandry. My current hairstyle cannot go on indefinitely. The question is when exactly do I change it? Because eventually it'll be "too young."

I'm a non-conformist, so it will get difficult.

My wife went pink with a lighter shade of pink on the bottom. Sort of like a cotton candy themed ombre style.