PDA

View Full Version : Really unusual pet names (yours or others')

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 07:23 PM
This just in from Twitter, including a photo (via lovemeow.com):

Princess Monster Truck the cat.

I like it.

We had a cat years ago, which I named "Pink Floyd" (she was a semi-feral cat who, when we found her, had a pink stain on her head [not blood]).

You?

KaiYeves
2013-May-14, 07:41 PM
My brother P's fourth-grade teacher had a cat named (deep breath) Stewey C. Superchunk Mr. Lips Mooncat Penguin Boy Milk Carton What's Up Buddy... but he just called him Stewey C.

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 07:48 PM
My brother P's fourth-grade teacher had a cat named (deep breath) Stewey C. Superchunk Mr. Lips Mooncat Penguin Boy Milk Carton What's Up Buddy... but he just called him Stewey C.

:surprised:

:rofl:

That should win a prize.

Paul Beardsley
2013-May-14, 07:54 PM
Clare had two goldfish which she called Pink and Floyd, but they didn't last long.

I was going to get two gerbils and call them Octopus and Squid, but I never did. I was also going to get a hamster (again, I never did in the end) and a friend suggested I call it A Pair Of Curtains.

Our last dog was going to be called either Lucy 2 (the previous dog being Lucy) or Dog Dog. In the end she was called Emmy. Best dog ever - one of the reasons we never got another dog was because it would always be compared with Emmy. She was also nicknamed Spider and Sponge.

My friend's daughter Grrace [sic] has a Chiuhuahua originally called Babycakes but since shortened to Baby.

A colleague of Clare's had a dog and a cat. I don't know how their names were spelled but it was something like Duhfah and Cuhfah (a play on "d for dog, c for cat").

My brother-in-law had a dog called Tetley and ferrets called Sampson and Delilah.

I'm thinking of getting a python and calling it Lee Harvey Oswald. But I almost certainly won't. But if I ever do get a python I promise not to call it Monty as that is the gold standard of lame.

Not really a pet, granted, but I have a long grey scarf called Ghanima, named after Paul Atreides' daughter in Frank Herbert's Dune novels. Technically the scarf is Ghanima 2, as the first one went missing at a Gary Numan concert in 1984.

SphinxCore
2013-May-14, 08:13 PM
Hmmm, pets it is

Shadow Moonbeam Rotten -- a cat who honestly believes he's human and should be cuddled like a baby

M.E. (Male Entity) -- a cat whose gender didn't show for quite a while, original name Emmy

Kore Kat -- a swamp cat who was little more than skeleton with knobby fur when he left the swamp

redshifter
2013-May-14, 08:14 PM
When my wife was a kid, she had a cat named Cindy R. Cocoa.

starcanuck64
2013-May-14, 08:22 PM
I called my African Dwarf Frog- Slim Bullfrog Wittenstein

My Parrakeets were- Edgar and Ophelia Boyd

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 08:38 PM
These are all good. :)

M.E. (Male Entity) -- a cat whose gender didn't show for quite a while, original name Emmy

Lol!!

I would ask how the gender finally became apparent, but nah. :hand: Lol. :)

SeanF
2013-May-14, 08:50 PM
Going the other way, we have a cat named Olive. She was Oliver, until the vet told us that the Humane Society had misidentified. I've always wondered just what exactly they saw that made them think she was a boy.

Our other three cats (brothers, adopted at the same time) are Frankie, Sammy, and Dino - the Cat Pack, as it were. We considered Larry, Moe, and Curly, but decided that wasn't subtle enough. :)

BigDon
2013-May-14, 09:12 PM
Wait, you want to ask a man who's kept odd creatures in numerous terraria and aquariums for probably longer than most people reading this have been alive about the weird pet names?

How much time to you have?

Originally I thought this was about personal pet names and was going to ask you if you wanted to include spousal nick names for body parts.

I guess we'll just not go there. :)

Paul Beardsley
2013-May-14, 09:18 PM
BigDon, one of my favourite stories here featured three fish whose nomenclature was geographical - hoping not to spoil the punchline!

BigDon
2013-May-14, 09:19 PM
Going the other way, we have a cat named Olive. She was Oliver, until the vet told us that the Humane Society had misidentified. I've always wondered just what exactly they saw that made them think she was a boy.

Our other three cats (brothers, adopted at the same time) are Frankie, Sammy, and Dino - the Cat Pack, as it were. We considered Larry, Moe, and Curly, but decided that wasn't subtle enough. :)

Sean, I have an answer, but you probably won't like to hear it.

A lot of people can't tell the difference between a female cat's pudenda and a male cat's scrotum, especially in young specimens where even vets can have trouble.

Hlafordlaes
2013-May-14, 10:44 PM

Buttercup
2013-May-14, 10:48 PM
Sorry to harsh the buzz a bit, but my pet rabbit passed away last night. His name was Cochris, which is my son's online gaming handle. I inherited Cochris when my son moved to live with his girlfriend.

He would attack whenever anyone attempted to pet him, but he and I seemed to connect quite a bit, and he'd come calling often to check me out for a mutual hello. The last few days, however, he was cuddling up and soaking up all the petting we could give him. Little did we know that was his way of saying goodbye. He seemed perfectly healthy all the while. He'd been with us some six years now, so perhaps it was his time.

He was always a perky chap, and I'll miss him greatly.

Aw. :( Sorry to know that, but thanks for mentioning it.

I've since fed Chester oatmeal cookies (you mentioned it)...Chester likes! :lol:

PetersCreek
2013-May-14, 11:50 PM
My dog's name is Kroger...yes, like the grocery store. We brought him home not long after the movie Because of Winn Dixie came out which got me to thinking about other store names. Names like Piggly Wiggley and Pac n Save just didn't sound righ, so Kroger, it was.

His AKC registration name is Chugiak Snack Attack. (Peters Creek falls within the Chugiak zip code)

Trebuchet
2013-May-14, 11:57 PM
My wife had a parakeet named "Tweety". Should have been a canary, of course.

ETA: My cousin's dogs are Ike and Mamie.

LookingSkyward
2013-May-15, 08:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your bunny, Hlafordlaes :(
My Llama's name is Como Se...

Perikles
2013-May-15, 10:12 AM
One primary school class my daughter was in had a goldfish which by majority vote was called Jaws. I have a friend with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier ***** called Elvis, for some reason.

Edit: I can't believe that it is not possible to describe the sex of a dog here. *sigh*

Jim
2013-May-15, 11:58 AM
There are two Chinese crested pups at the Shelter they are calling Flea and Tick.

They've also had Mr. Pugtastic, Bodacious, Booger (I know), Batty Koda (no idea), L'il Miss Bow Wow, Foxy Lover, and Brad Pitt (Yes, a pit bull).

Hornblower
2013-May-15, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine had a cat named Sebastian. The cat had two litter mates named Johann and Bach.

SphinxCore
2013-May-15, 12:39 PM
Sean, I have an answer, but you probably won't like to hear it.

A lot of people can't tell the difference between a female cat's pudenda and a male cat's scrotum, especially in young specimens where even vets can have trouble.

My father showed me how to check gender on younger cats when I was a kid, but I refuse to go there

Swift
2013-May-15, 01:02 PM
Sorry to harsh the buzz a bit, but my pet rabbit passed away last night. His name was Cochris, which is my son's online gaming handle. I inherited Cochris when my son moved to live with his girlfriend.
I'm sorry Hlafordlaes.

:lol:

Our current cats are sisters named Maki and Ginger - Maki as in the style of sushi, and Ginger as in pickled ginger. They are both black and orange, Maki is almost all black (like the dark color of the seaweed it is wrapped in) , Ginger is much more orange. For some reason, my wife wanted Japanese names for them and didn't like my first suggestions of Toyota and Honda, or Canon and Nikon.

Growing up we had several pets named for friends or relatives: a cat named Doris (for a friend of my mom's who hated animals) and a pair of box turtles named Susie and Carol (for my cousins).

Our Irish Setter's AKC name was Kerry O'Red Snapper (she came from the O'Red line and Red Snapper sounded funny). When discussing Celtic first names with my uncle, he suggested John Havlicek (Google if you don't get it).

I had some friends years ago, she was a doctor and he was a paramedic, that had a pair of cats named Lights and Siren. I had some computer geek friends that had a cat named DOS.

Noclevername
2013-May-15, 01:10 PM
Our family dog, Kipp, was officially J. Mars Kipp Erin of Bergin. J.Mars was the farm where we got him, Kipp his "real" name, Erin because he was an Irish Setter, Bergin was the town where the farm was.

For cats we went with the more traditional: Tigger, Garfield etc. Our last cat was named Oreo for his black & white coloring; he and Kipp used to sleep in a mutual cuddle. He outlived Kipp by two years and until his final days used to curl up where the dog had slept.

Swift
2013-May-15, 01:12 PM
My sister has a friend who had a series of cats over the many years named "Kitty". To me, that's weirder than "Stewey C. Superchunk Mr. Lips Mooncat Penguin Boy Milk Carton What's Up Buddy".

One other... a former co-worker had a son with a dog named "Oven Mitt". She dog-sat once, with the dog at her house. She said she was standing at her back door one day calling "OVEN MITT, COME HERE OVEN MITT!" at the top of her lungs, trying to get the dog to come in. She figured the neighbors had decided she had completely lost her mind.

Noclevername
2013-May-15, 01:16 PM
My sister has a friend who had a series of cats over the many years named "Kitty". To me, that's weirder than "Stewey C. Superchunk Mr. Lips Mooncat Penguin Boy Milk Carton What's Up Buddy".

We had a series of 5 parakeets all named "Bobby". I don't know why, since we kids knew the parakeets had passed away each time, so it wasn't a "twenty year goldfish" situation.

Buttercup
2013-May-15, 01:19 PM
Cat on today's "Bad Cats" desk calendar: Fence Row.

Perikles
2013-May-15, 02:26 PM
I had an aunt with a neighbour who I thought was clearly insane. Every evening she appeared at her door and called 'cuckoo' several times very loudly. It was only later I discovered that she had a cat with that name.

Trebuchet
2013-May-15, 02:49 PM
I used to open the door and yell "C'mon kids!" And the cats would come running, because they'd gotten used to that phrase when I would feed them downstairs after fixing the dishes in the basement.

NEOWatcher
2013-May-15, 03:22 PM
Once we got a mutt and my mother wasn't crazy about having a <dang> dirty dog.

It's name ended up to be Schmutzig.
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/n020.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php) http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/a065.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php)

Swift
2013-May-15, 03:30 PM
Steven Wright had a joke about having a dog named "Stay". So when he wanted the dog to come he would yell "Come here, Stay". :D

Buttercup
2013-May-15, 03:33 PM
Once we got a mutt and my mother wasn't crazy about having a <dang> dirty dog.

It's name ended up to be Schmutzig.
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/n020.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php) http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/a065.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php)

Which reminds me. Hopefully won't get into trouble, but this was the dog's name: A neighborhood boy adopted a stray. His father was an unpleasant sort, who didn't take to Danny having a dog (but did allow it). Danny told me he'd tried thinking of a name. His dad said, "Name him Trampass, because he's a tramp and an a**." :o

We pronounced it "Trampus," though. :lol:

Perikles
2013-May-15, 04:12 PM
Steven Wright had a joke about having a dog named "Stay". So when he wanted the dog to come he would yell "Come here, Stay". :DThat reminds me - an English friend living here in Tenerife thought her Spanish neighbour had a dog called "ven aquí". She was under that impression until she decided to learn Spanish....

Moose
2013-May-15, 04:16 PM
When referring to my pets on SWTor, I tend to call Zoe "Darth Kitty" for her habit of standing in front of the screen during intense lightsaber fights. Kaylee is referred to as "The Jedi Catawan". :)

Fazor
2013-May-15, 04:19 PM
I'm sure I've told both these stories before, but I like to hear myself talk, so here goes:

My older dog's name is Charlie, which isn't particularly odd except that she's a she. When we got a second dog, we named her Veruca. Charlie wasn't named for the Chocolate Factory kid, but Veruca came along right after Tim Burton's interpretation of the story. However, most of the time we call her 'Rooka,' so most people miss the reference.

Tara had a cat named 'Blackie.' You can probably guess the coloring. The name itself isn't as funny as the fact that it would often get loose in the neighborhood where they lived -- an economically depressed area in metro Pittsburgh. An area predominantly inhabited by ... darker-skinned folks. Which left Tara and her room mates -- white, college-age girls, often wandering the streets calling out, "Here Blackie, Blackie, Blackie!" Personally, I would have gone with "Here kitty" but whatever.

NEOWatcher
2013-May-15, 04:32 PM
After I was married, we got a "used" dog. It spent most of it's time just sniffing around the house.
We named it "Kirby". http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/a070.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php)

Swift
2013-May-15, 04:35 PM
Tara had a cat named 'Blackie.' You can probably guess the coloring.
What would be really funny is if the cat was white or orange or something other than the obvious. And yeah, I probably wouldn't have been calling out the cat's name either.

Luckmeister
2013-May-15, 05:40 PM
A few years ago, a cat showed up on my doorstep crying for help. He had a broken jaw and other injuries. I think he may have been hit by a car. After two operations he could finally eat semi-solid food again but his mouth was permanently crooked, one eye was damaged and he had a tendency to drool. I named him Bill The Cat after the (then popular) cartoon character.

SphinxCore
2013-May-15, 05:58 PM
A few years ago, a cat showed up on my doorstep crying for help. He had a broken jaw and other injuries. I think he may have been hit by a car. After two operations he could finally eat semi-solid food again but his mouth was permanently crooked, one eye was damaged and he had a tendency to drool. I named him Bill The Cat after the (then popular) cartoon character.

Reminds me of BooBoo, a kitten I rescued at a gas station one night: she'd been clipped by a car and had a broken foot (which I splinted) and a loose gut sack (which the vet reattached)

She recovered but she was never quite right after, hence her penchant for stealing pancakes off your plate

Fazor
2013-May-15, 07:08 PM
After I was married, we got a "used" dog. It spent most of it's time just sniffing around the house.
We named it "Kirby". http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/a070.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php)

That's awesome! And now I'm ashamed I didn't think of that. Charlie spends a lot of time sniffing. I've been known to call her "shovel-nose," since she'll get so into it that she'll use her snout to shovel/dig anything aside that's in the way of her sniffing whatever she's trying to whiff.

Swift
2013-May-15, 08:21 PM
You know... my wife has a bunch of pet names for me... but maybe that's not the subject of this thread. :think:

:whistle:

Noclevername
2013-May-15, 08:27 PM
You know... my wife has a bunch of pet names for me... but maybe that's not the subject of this thread. :think:

:whistle:

Now, Swift, you know curse words are not allowed here.

Kaptain K
2013-May-15, 10:46 PM
My family has had a penchant for unusul names or nicknames for our pets.
We had a solid gray cat that my father (a psychiatrist) named Spaughtte (spot).
My brother adopted a cat off the street, So they named her Strayla.
I had a couple of tortoiseshell cats (mother and daughter) named QTpi and QT2. I had a pair (littermates) of Collies named Castor and Pollux.

Noclevername
2013-May-15, 11:44 PM
"Pollux?"

"No, it's true, I tell ya!"

:rimshot:

Swift
2013-May-16, 02:39 AM

Ack! ;)

Nicolas
2013-May-16, 07:25 PM
My brother has two cats: Mandu and Pillar. Cat Mandu is self explanatory. Pillar becomes clear if you know that tomcat in Dutch is "kater".
My sister has a cat named Janneman ("Ian the man"). It's a female cat.

When we got a dog, I wanted to name it after a classic synthesizer. Something like Moog or Buchla. My wife didn't approve. We ended up calling him Oscar. She's happy, so am I but she doesn't know why (http://synthprof.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Oscar_Front.jpg).