PDA

View Full Version : YARP: Do you like to go shopping?

kucharek
2004-Nov-19, 02:40 PM
Let's find out if this is really as gender-specific as it seems to me:

Do you like to go shopping?

I mean, I've no problem with going to shops when I know what I want and I know where I can get it. But if it takes longer than 10 minutes, I'm out. I can't stand to use more then 10 minutes in a shop to buy some trousers and when I find a pair that fits, I ask if the have the same in another colour and usually buy two to be freed of this burden for the next year or so.

It seems to me, men often have this attitude, while many women have no problem with going to town to shops and just look around for hours. And hours. And hours. And...

Got the point?

Ut
2004-Nov-19, 02:45 PM
Clarify "shopping". I don't mind going to the mall with a pocket full of money, but I would almost certainly be gone within 2 hours, and be pennyless. What I suspect you're referring to as shopping here is the process by which someone goes to shops, stares at things endlessly, and then finally picks one or two out.

kucharek
2004-Nov-19, 02:46 PM
Clarify "shopping". I don't mind going to the mall with a pocket full of money, but I would almost certainly be gone within 2 hours, and be pennyless. What I suspect you're referring to as shopping here is the process by which someone goes to shops, stares at things endlessly, and then finally picks one or two out.
I'd say more the latter.

Wally
2004-Nov-19, 02:53 PM
I don't mind if I'm shopping for something fun for myself, but other than that, forget it! In fact, I've been saving catalogs for the past month or so. My whole goal this Christmas is to buy all my gifts online via the catalogs. Came pretty close last year, but didn't have enough different catalogs to cover all the age groups. I didn't make that mistake this year.

dvb
2004-Nov-19, 03:12 PM
I hate spending money. :cry: :evil:

I usually buy food before I buy anything material.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 04:08 PM
I hate shopping.

The only thing i really enjoy is going into a bookstore or computer game store.

kucharek
2004-Nov-19, 04:10 PM
I hate shopping.

The only thing i really enjoy is going into a bookstore or computer game store.
Yeah. Going to bookstores is recreation, not shopping. :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 04:12 PM
Actually ive never been abel to go in and sit down and read.

But i do go there to calm down. If i get really pissed of or very angry i like to just be left alone. One of my favorite places is to go to a bookstore, and just look at the books. It helps alot.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 04:19 PM
I voted I like to go shopping, but I feel I must qualify...

I can spend hours in the pet store, toy store, hobby store, book store, and occasionally Publix and Super Target and enjoy it, but if and only if one of two things occur:

1. I'm buying something for myself. Edit: Toys, planes, video games, movies, snacks, some gormet meal.

2. I'm spending an obscene amount of money on the people/pets I care about.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 04:22 PM
Heh, i love going to petsmart, but i rarely buy anything for Diamond. It seems that she never likes things we buy her, but instead things we make for her.

Her favorite toy is a old towel.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 04:46 PM
Heh, i love going to petsmart, but i rarely buy anything for Diamond. It seems that she never likes things we buy her, but instead things we make for her.

Her favorite toy is a old towel.

I love taking Ani with me to Petsmart and letting her pick things out. That and it's a great place to socialize her. The only problem is I get stopped all the time when she's out in public. "She's such a beautiful dog, what kind is she?" is the most common, I love it, but it does make the trips take some time cause I then have to stop and talk with them about greyhounds and people's misconceptions. "Are they really hyper?" And "I bet they like to run." And "How much do they eat?" "What's their temperment like?" Yadda yadda blah blah blah.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 05:23 PM
Isn't it true that Greyhounds become very docile and lazy when they go to a home?

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 05:28 PM
Isn't it true that Greyhounds become very docile and lazy when they go to a home?

45 mph couch potato, they don't become, they are. They're sprinters, not endurance runners so they have little bursts of energy lasting ten to fifteen minutes. Ani sleeps for what seems like 23 hours out of the day, she's only awake immediately when I get home, to play, be fed and walk. They're great, or should I say greyt, animals I'll never own another breed.

http://www.greyhoundpetsorlando.org/

Tranquility
2004-Nov-19, 05:38 PM
Hate shopping, unless it takes in the neighborhood of 10-20 minutes and is for me and is in a computer hardware/software shop or a bookshop, but bookshops, as kucharek pointed out, is recreation :D

xbck1
2004-Nov-19, 05:43 PM
I hate shopping. I even hate shopping if it's for something I like, such as books. Whenever I actually have money to spend on something, I always feel miserable in book stores, electronics stores, any place that I might want to buy something from. It's because I know that I have just enough to buy that one thing and nothing else, even if I know I could buy something else. I think, "Well, if I don't spend all my money today, then I can buy something tomorrow that I really like! But... I like this thing, and I want it, but I also want to have money, but I also really want this, but I won't have that money to spend then, but I really want this, but it seems like a waste of money..." ... and so it goes, over and over I debate it with myself until I have to run to the bus stop to get home without anything except the money that I didn't spend.

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 05:54 PM
EDIT: DELETED DOUBLE POST

BlueAnodizeAl
2004-Nov-19, 05:55 PM
I hate shopping. I even hate shopping if it's for something I like, such as books. Whenever I actually have money to spend on something, I always feel miserable in book stores, electronics stores, any place that I might want to buy something from. It's because I know that I have just enough to buy that one thing and nothing else, even if I know I could buy something else. I think, "Well, if I don't spend all my money today, then I can buy something tomorrow that I really like! But... I like this thing, and I want it, but I also want to have money, but I also really want this, but I won't have that money to spend then, but I really want this, but it seems like a waste of money..." ... and so it goes, over and over I debate it with myself until I have to run to the bus stop to get home without anything except the money that I didn't spend.

You make money to spend money...relax and buy something frivilous from time to time. It doesn't hurt if it's only occasionally

Humphrey
2004-Nov-19, 06:03 PM
You make money to spend money...relax and buy something frivilous from time to time. It doesn't hurt if it's only occasionally
Exactly. As long as you put some away for the future, and have enought to live comforatble, buying a few things every once in a while is good.
Just plan smartly and you can live really well.

Heck me and Rachel are living Very comfortably on just her salary. Sure she makes a good amount ~30k. I get to buy games and go out and we still have enought to put ~$1000 away for the future every month.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-19, 09:27 PM
Depends shopping for what. I mean when it comes to clothing I am dragged, pick something out, and leave as fast as possible. Just wandering around the bookstore or CD store etc is not a problem for me.
Regarding money, I am a poor college kid so I don't have to much and as a result have miser-like tendencies. But the only thing I really have an urge to buy are books most of the time (yeah, I know, sue me) so I've got my simple "if I get an A on a test I can get a new book" rule. I have no qualms with going broke in that situation! :wink:

Bob B.
2004-Nov-19, 09:50 PM
If I need something that doesn't require too many decisions and I know exactly where to go to get it, then I'm okay with it. Otherwise, I don't like it.

Maksutov
2004-Nov-19, 11:23 PM
Shopping (of the holiday variety) as summarized by Futurama:

[Scene: Planet Express: Attic Room. Amy, Hermes, Farnsworth and Zoidberg are sitting by the Xmas Tree exchanging gifts.]

Zoidberg: Amy this is for you. A set of combs for your beautiful hair.

Amy: Oh that's so sweet. But I sold my hair to a wigmaker so I could buy a set of combs for Hermes.

[She pulls her hat off. She is bald.]

Hermes: Oh the irony. I sold my hair so I could buy this third set of combs for Zoidberg.

[He pulls his hat off. He is bald.]

Zoidberg: Thank you! These'll come in handy for my new hair. [He pulls his hat off. Amy's and Hermes's hair is grafted to Zoidberg's head.] Finally I look as pretty as I feel!

tuffel999
2004-Nov-19, 11:25 PM
I can "shop" for technology all day long. But I do that because i refuse to pay more than I have to for anything. As for anythingelse.......hate shopping.

Careless
2004-Nov-19, 11:47 PM
I saw something probably on the discovery channel about men and women shopping. Basically, it said that shopping is far more stressful for men. they don't have the ability to just casually browse like women do.
Me, when I was 6 and had to go shopping with my mother, I would just feel like the life was draining from my body. Today, when I go shopping with my fiancee, I feel like the life is draining from my body. Blech

Crazieman
2004-Nov-20, 12:13 AM
Electronics shopping, yes.

jrkeller
2004-Nov-20, 12:44 AM
I'm male and I like to go shopping.

Books, Music, Clothes (sometimes), power tools.

Does one line shopping count too?

tuffel999
2004-Nov-20, 01:00 AM
I'm male and I like to go shopping.

Books, Music, Clothes (sometimes), power tools.

Does one line shopping count too?

Oh yeah I forgot about Sears......more power!

mickal555
2004-Nov-20, 03:00 AM
I hate going shopping for shoes............................. or clouths
Bleah