PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burner Advice

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-19, 10:01 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my ageing HP CD writer to a DVD burner, I have seen dual layer writers available for around 50.00 but I am not sure which one to get. Any advice on which is better - LiteOn, NEC, Pioneer or Sony?

Maksutov
2004-Nov-19, 10:09 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my ageing HP CD writer to a DVD burner, I have seen dual layer writers available for around 50.00 but I am not sure which one to get. Any advice on which is better - LiteOn, NEC, Pioneer or Sony?
If your computer has aged along with your CD writer, it would be best to first check the system requirements of the DVD writers you're interested in to see if your current system meets their requirements.

There are usually two sets of requirements, a minimum one to achieve functionality, and a recommended one for video recording, editing, etc. The recommended system requirements tend to be about twice that of the minimum ones.

tuffel999
2004-Nov-19, 10:44 PM

Same recommendation I left over at FWIS:

Pioneer DVR-108 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive is the cream of the crop and about $85 USD so I think that is in the price range.

phongn
2004-Nov-20, 12:40 AM
The NEC-3500 is a fine drive.

tuffel999
2004-Nov-20, 12:54 AM
Review of the Pioneer: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2186

tuffel999
2004-Nov-20, 12:57 AM
The NEC-3500 is a fine drive.

I believe that and the Pioneer 108 are the same basic drive.....I know the Pioneer uses an NEC branded chipset in the drive.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-20, 01:05 AM
I have the Pioneer DVR 108 that tuffel recommended and it's a great drive, though Anandtech also has a roundup of all these drives with dual layer pitted together. Be warned though, dual layer discs are very hard to come by and are still quite expensive.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-20, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will probably go for the Pioneer DVR 108, I can get it for about 48.00 from a store only 2 miles from home. Now all I need to do is work out the difference between +R discs and -R discs! :D

phongn
2004-Nov-20, 05:50 PM
There really isn't too much of a difference these days. You should buy quality media, though -- if you can find it, Fuji"s "made in Japan" discs are of high quality (but many are "made in Taiwan" and not so good).

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-22, 01:48 PM
Once again, thanks for the advice, I have finaly got a Pioneer DVR 108 with 25 x -R discs for 49.00 :D

The trouble is -- I'm not allowed to install it until christmas day, (and the hassle I will get from Mrs zebo if I spend christmas playing PC is a scary thought!) :(

AstroSmurf
2004-Nov-22, 02:22 PM
I just ordered a NEC 3500 ... got top scores in AnandTechs overview. The Pioneer drive is a good choice as well.

mid
2004-Nov-22, 05:26 PM
I bought the NEC 3500, 25xDVD-R and an OEM Nero 6 for 48, and its really nice.

The only difficult thing I've got with my setup now is persuading Pinnacle Studio 9 to understand Xvid files; converting them to something else through Virtual Dub first seems to be the only option, which is a major pain.