PDA

View Full Version : Extream amature photography

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 05:50 AM
Here are three shots i took tonight. I just got a new camera and i decided to test it out. Very poor conditions. Streetlight nearby and i just set the timer and put the camera leaning agains a concrete block.
Cannon Digital Elph S500
ISO 100
15 second exposure
Auto focus (i can do it manually, but i just wanted to do a test)

I edited the final two for brightness and contrast due to light from the street lamp. Nouthing being pointed at, just random patches of sky. I was rather impressed really. Next chance i get, im going to find a nice very dark place and take some better shots.

Don't let the names fool you they are all 1024x768. The camera is 5 mp, so i turned them down a bit for you guys. :-)

http://drsandler.net/images/Sky/IMG_3324small.jpg
http://drsandler.net/images/Sky/IMG_3326small.jpg
http://drsandler.net/images/Sky/IMG_3327small.jpg

Evan
2004-Nov-20, 06:10 AM
You did get something. I tuned this up a bit more. I has the Pleiades near center.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/humphrey.jpg

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 06:21 AM
Awesome. :-) Sorry about the quality there. I can put up the unedited source file if you want.

That one was the worst of the three i think. I moved a bit after that to a better area. But thats awesome that i found something. :-)

Thats orion on top of the last two right?

SarahMc
2004-Nov-20, 06:50 AM
Yes, and Canis Major at the lower left. The bright star there is Sirius.

CERDIP
2004-Nov-20, 11:48 PM
Yuou may have found something else, humph. This is your 2nd photo, contrast and HMS adjusted, and histogram stretched to reduce noise:

http://cerdipity.no-ip.com/images/photo2.png

Check out the short streak in the circled area.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 11:53 PM
Satelite or ISS?

This was in Orlando, FL at about 12:30 at night.

Normandy6644
2004-Nov-21, 01:38 AM
You're getting pretty decent skies for Orlando. :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-21, 03:04 AM
HeH. And surprisiningly im only about 10 min from downtown and 30 from the parks.

Floobage
2004-Nov-22, 08:21 AM

I checked starry night software and that little streak is actually comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2). Nice!

kucharek
2004-Nov-22, 08:58 AM
Took this in holiday early September, towards the zenith, to test my camera. Setting was 15s, 400ISO and doing some histogramm stuff as postprocessing.
http://img32.exs.cx/img32/4631/IMG_1592.th.jpg (http://img32.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img32&image=IMG_1592.jpg)
The bright star in the lower left is Vega, Cygnus is in the center of the image.
I was pretty surprised how relatively good results I got.

mickal555
2004-Nov-22, 11:03 AM
A comet cool! Congrats =D> Humphrey
Welcome to BABB Floobage :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-22, 01:15 PM

I checked starry night software and that little streak is actually comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2). Nice!

Seriously! :o :o Wow!
And to think all i did was set up the camera for a few test shots. Thanks! :-D

And a big Welcome to the board! :-D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-22, 01:20 PM
Nice kucharek! Much better starfield than i had.
But you forgot to mention the Alien spacecraft in the top. :-P j/k
What camera was it?

Whats the histogram for a picture and how do i edit it with photoshop?

Wally
2004-Nov-22, 01:24 PM
Good job Humph! I'm starting to feel the urge to do some photography myself, but I'm afraid it'll lead to me getting the fever and buying lots of new toys I can't afford right now. . .

Maksutov
2004-Nov-22, 01:28 PM
Good job Humph! I'm starting to feel the urge to do some photography myself, but I'm afraid it'll lead to me getting the fever and buying lots of new toys I can't afford right now. . .
Hey man, quit smoking and check out all the "mad money" that pops up out of nowhere! :wink:

BTW, could anyone look at the title of this thread and not know it was started by Humphrey? :D

Humphrey
2004-Nov-22, 01:35 PM
It's spelled wrong?

Moose
2004-Nov-22, 02:13 PM
*lol* Hoo yeah, Humph. If it's any consolation, you spelled photography right. :wink:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-22, 02:27 PM
Bah just look at the prety pictures. :-P

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-22, 08:56 PM
Or at the fact that you need to learn how to tpye Humphrey. :wink:

JimTKirk
2004-Nov-22, 09:02 PM

Don't we all??? :D

expirationdate
2004-Nov-22, 09:06 PM
great shots Humph! but you only got half of my favorite constilation "hint hint... he wears a belt" ok ciao.

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-23, 12:00 AM

Don't we all??? :D
Yep, that's the test to see if you can and you passed! No really, it's a joke I say to my friends who misspell on IM... anyways...
Nice pics Humphrey, you're off to a great start! :D

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Nov-23, 02:47 AM
Someday I gotta learn how to take a half dozen fillum shots, scan'n'stack 'em, and make sumpin' that purty...

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 03:13 AM
So how do i edit the Histogram? I have photoshop 6.o and elements 2.0

Evan
2004-Nov-23, 03:30 AM
In Elements 2.0 go Enhance>Adjust Brightness/Contrast>Levels

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 03:44 AM
Thanks. :-)

CERDIP
2004-Nov-23, 04:59 AM
Hey ! We're co-re-discovererers or something! Maybe we'll get a meteor named after us ;-) ;-)

Humph, I used Paint Shop Pro to stretch the histogram, dunno how to do it in Photoshop. Maybe Photoshop has a function called "Stretch Histogram"?

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 05:24 AM
Evan showed me. :-)

You can have the naming rights CERDIP for the next new discovery. As long as i can name a star after Rachel. :-) [awwww....]

mickal555
2004-Nov-23, 06:02 AM
Hey ! We're co-re-discovererers or something! Maybe we'll get a meteor named after us ;-) ;-)

Humph, I used Paint Shop Pro to stretch the histogram, dunno how to do it in Photoshop. Maybe Photoshop has a function called "Stretch Histogram"?
A meteor? That would be what? 1.5 seconds of fame :P

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-23, 06:16 AM
Humphrey you obviously did not read the book that bears the name of this forum else you'd know better about star naming! [-X

:P

frogesque
2004-Nov-23, 09:08 AM
In Elements 2.0 go Enhance>Adjust Brightness/Contrast>Levels

Or, if you use GIMP:

Place cursor anywhere on picture and right click, hover on "Image" > "Colors" > "Brightness - Contrast", left click, adjust sliders to level required (somewhere between 100 and 120 for both) fine adjust to find best value then go "File" > "Save As" and give your file a new name so's not to blitz your original.

It's slow going but I'm getting to be quite a fan of GIMP.

Edit: Word to the poverty stricken, GIMP is free and open source, you don't need to use a hacked copy of Photoshop [-X

Jobe
2004-Nov-23, 09:30 AM
omg axtraeme amatoor spulling too!

kucharek
2004-Nov-23, 09:32 AM
I'm looking forward to some extreme immature potografi by Humpf. :P

CERDIP
2004-Nov-23, 01:40 PM

A meteor? That would be what? 1.5 seconds of fame :P

Heh. That was the point .... :-)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 02:09 PM
Humphrey you obviously did not read the book that bears the name of this forum else you'd know better about star naming! [-X

:PNeither she nor any Astronomer have to know that i renamed that bright start in the sky to Rachel. :-)

Tensor
2004-Nov-23, 04:16 PM
Neither she nor any Astronomer have to know that i renamed that bright start in the sky to Rachel. :-)

She'd be more impressed if you named the bright finish in the sky Rachel.

Evan
2004-Nov-23, 04:24 PM
Common English Mistakes by Graduate Students
This was originally prepared by Robert M. Keller, with additional contributions by Gary Lindstrom. A few more have been added since then. Below is a list of English grammatical errors commonly committed by PhD students. Please try to understand these items, and check your paper for all of these errors before submitting it.

In addition, do not submit a draft of anything unless it has been checked with spell.

[Caution: I have committed in several places below one sin of fighting convention, namely to put closing quotation marks where they logically belong, rather than according to typographer's convention. Thus, if a quoted phrase lies within, but at the end of, a sentence, I would put the closing quote before the period. I believe this is done correctly in England. -- RMK]

1. Number agreement between subject and verb: In English, nouns and verbs have number (i.e. singular: one, and plural: more than one). Quite often, but not always, the plural of a noun is formed by adding "s" or some variant, as in "computer" --> "computers", "matrix" --> "matrices", etc. The opposite is true for verbs: a plural verb will often have no "s", but the singular version is obtained by adding "s": "computes" (singular) --> "compute (plural). Thus, "computers compute using electronics", but "this computer computes using electronics". We say "the scheme utilizes . . ." but "the schemes utilize . . .". (One might formulate this as the "conservation of s" law.) Not all verbs follow the "s" pattern; for example "are" is the plural form of "is", "had" is both singular and plural, "criteria" is the plural of "criterion", "data" is the plural of "datum", "media" is the plural of "medium", etc. Check a dictionary if in doubt.
2. Number in possessive pronouns: "their" refers to several possessors, while "its", "his", and "her" refers to a single one. ("John and Mary use their personal computer to . . .", "The computer gets its power from . . .")
3. Its: "its" is a possessive pronoun. "it's" is a contraction of "it is". The two are not interchangeable.
4. Dangling prepositions: Phrases should not be ended with prepositions (e.g. "to", "with"). For example, instead of "the output port the memory is connected to" use "the output port to which the memory is connected". A good way of remembering this is to recall the tongue-in-cheek rule: "A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with".
5. Generic versus specific: Different constructions are used for generic and specific statements. We say "computers compute" when we are talking about computers in general, but "the computer computes" when we are talking about a specific computer (mentioned earlier usually). The word "the" is called the "definite article", because it refers to a specific thing or set of things ("article" is the term used for words "the", "a", "an"). The article "the" is used for both ("the computers in MEB"). The plural generic uses no article ("computers compute using electronics"). The singular generic used "a", as in "a computer computes using electronics".
6. "a" vs. "an": The article "an" is used before words which begin with a vowel sound, whereas "a" is used before words which begin with a consonant sound.
7. "good" vs. "well": There are two kinds of modifiers: adjectives, which modify nouns, and adverbs, which modify verbs or adjectives. "good" is an adjective ("It is a good scheme".) while "well" is an adverb ("The scheme works well".).
8. Discrete vs. continuous (or countable vs. uncountable): The words "many", "few", and "several" refer to discrete objects ("There are few computers which . . .", "Several algorithms exist for . . ."). The words "much" and "little" refer to uncountable commodities ("I have little patience . . .", "There is much to be learned . . .", but "There are many things to be learned . . ."). Similarly, "less" is continuous, while "fewer" is discrete: "Give me less soup and fewer beans"; "more" is used for both: "Give me more bananas and more water". (But some things with a discrete character are discussed as if they were continuous: "My program uses less memory", but "My data require fewer bits".)
9. Commas should be used where you would normally pause if you were reading the sentence aloud. They should be used where there is possible ambiguity in parsing the sentence without them.
10. "like" vs. "as": "like" is used to compare two similar things or concepts: "A circulating memory is like a shift register". "as" is used to conjoin phrases: "A circulating memory behaves the same as a shift register".
11. Inappropriateness of verb to subject, e.g. "Computers as inanimate machines argue for intelligence in their use" ("Computers" do not "argue", etc.). Examine each sentence to locate the subject and verb, and be sure they make sense as isolated pairs.
12. If you have trouble expressing a complex sentence, it most surely should be broken into two or more new sentences.

Helpful references
Edward P. J. Corbett, The little English handbook, 3rd edition, Wiley (1980) (softbound, about $6.95).

Wm. Strunk, Jr. and E. B. White, The elements of style, Macmillan (1959). A standard reference on style and usage.

G. A. Barnes, Communication skills for the foreign-born professional, ISI Press, Philadelphia (1982). Includes useful information on written and other forms of communication.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 04:34 PM
See that applies to PHD students. I am a Masters student. They need to be less specific with their writing! :-P