PDA

View Full Version : Space Commodity

Professor X
2013-May-26, 05:50 PM
This kind of article is why we have to start teaching science better in school:

Space Commodity

Canadian ISS commander Chris Hadfield’s orbital acoustic tour comes to an end, not a moment too soon
By JOHN SEMLEY

Later today, Commander Chris Hadfield begins his journey back to Earth. It’s easy to imagine fellow spacemen Roman Romanenko and Tom Marshburn dragging Hadfield out of the International Space Station, kicking and screaming. “Just one more song!” the Gene Autry of astronauts will plead, frantically tuning his acoustic guitar. “The people need more tweets!”

Everyone else – the other astronauts who spent the term of their mission aboard the ISS as something other than a launchpad for a public speaking career - will shake their heads, embarrassed at the display: mortifying, needy, totally typifying Hadfield’s tour of duty as Canada’s first-ever ISS commander.

We wish Hadfield a safe return and everything, but his dispatching couldn’t come soon enough. Over the course of his 146-day mission, Hadfield has earned undue attention for his exhaustive social media presence and much-publicized media hounding (see: “Chris Hadfield Brushes his Teeth in Space” (https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=3bCoGC532p8)).

[additional content removed by Admin Swift]

Space Commodity (http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=192489)

KaiYeves
2013-May-27, 02:54 AM
As they say else-Internet: Haters gonna hate.

(Wow, there isn't a space-specific reaction image with that phrase? I need to make one, then.)

Glom
2013-May-27, 08:55 AM
He was leading an expedition to that most expensive installation paid for by taxpayers of a number of nations. Whoring himself out like that is really just giving those people the chance to see what's happening.

It's different to most Twitter whores whom we have absolutely no reason to care about.

Ara Pacis
2013-May-27, 04:01 PM
Opinion piece is opinionated. What's the problem?

NEOWatcher
2013-May-28, 06:48 PM
Opinion piece is opinionated. What's the problem?
Sounds like many of the arguments we have around here between human and robotic flight.
And; like many of those arguments seems to go WAY overboard on opinion and arrogance (at least in my opinion).

Besides, the PS...

Hadfield spoke at my high school and during the Q&A refused to “dignify with a response” my question about apes sent to space returning super-intelligent. It is possible that my exasperation with him at least proceeds from, if is not entirely determined by, a grudge I’ve held against him since.
This tells me the writer is an arrogant <insert here>. Doesn't he realize the question itself is really stupid, even for a 10th grader?

Swift
2013-May-28, 06:50 PM
This kind of article is why we have to start teaching science better in school:

Space Commodity (http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=192489)
Professor X,

Thank you for adding the link to the original content. But there is one other important consideration - do not quote complete articles unless you are completely sure that there is no copyright issues. Rule 4 states:

4. Copyright
Do not post copyrighted material here. This is very serious. It is within the law to post small, relevant quotes, but not whole passages from newspapers, magazines, books, etc. If you do, the post will be deleted, and you will be warned. Do it twice and you will be banned. If you want to reference material somewhere else on the web, give a brief summary and link to the rest. People can go take a look at what you're talking about and then return to discuss it further.

I have edited your post accordingly. Please be more careful in the future.

Ara Pacis
2013-May-29, 04:22 AM
Sounds like many of the arguments we have around here between human and robotic flight.
And; like many of those arguments seems to go WAY overboard on opinion and arrogance (at least in my opinion).

Besides, the PS...

This tells me the writer is an arrogant <insert here>. Doesn't he realize the question itself is really stupid, even for a 10th grader?

Write, which makes me think the writer realizes his bias and is applying his anger fueled bias with tongue firmly in cheek.