PDA

View Full Version : Bingiton??

Trebuchet
2013-May-27, 03:43 PM
Has anyone else tried this (http://www.bingiton.com/)? It's a side-by-side comparison of search results from Google and MS Bing, which they've been advertising pretty heavily on TV. I did it last night with some of my favorite obscure searches and got three wins for Google and two ties. The TV ads, of course, always show people choosing Bing. Probably not coincidentally, the Bing results they show always have more pictures.

Solfe
2013-May-27, 04:06 PM
I selected google 4 out of 5 times, the fifth time I did a search for "Microsoft" and some really dirty words. Bing then won, which actual surprised me.

What bothers me most about Bing is that when I go to the Bing homepage, it has sucked in data from Facebook.com without my consent. Therefore, I will never use it. At least, Google asked and has some features to limit that behavior. On the other hand, I actually use DuckDuckGo when I need a search that isn't mixed with other data. Google is where I go when I forget something, DuckDuckGo is better when I actually don't know anything.

Perikles
2013-May-27, 04:27 PM
Has anyone else tried this (http://www.bingiton.com/)? It's a side-by-side comparison of search results from Google and MS Bing, which they've been advertising pretty heavily on TV. I must be missing something, because the link just gives me Bing with no reference to Google.

These searches really annoy me when there is a specific search I make. I've just tried "Spanish words ending in j". Neither Google nor Bing gives any help except suggestions like Spanish words beginning in j or English words ending in j, of which there are 28 it seems. Why on Earth would I be interested in those?

Trebuchet
2013-May-27, 05:07 PM
The link works for me. It's probably your location. You can always do a Google search for Bing It On! :)

Perikles
2013-May-27, 05:15 PM
The link works for me. It's probably your location. You can always do a Google search for Bing It On! :)Done that. The bingiton.com site redirects me immediately to bing.com. :confused:

Trebuchet
2013-May-27, 06:54 PM
Done that. The bingiton.com site redirects me immediately to bing.com. :confused:

They've probably restricted bingiton to the US, or just North America, or something. That may well be because Google searches work much better in other parts of the world, such as the Canary Islands. That's an awesome looking volcano you've got there, by the way.

If you feel inclined to cheat it's ridiculously easy to tell which side is Bing and which is Google. The "images" result in Google includes a "report images" link, "pictures" in Bing does not.

Perikles
2013-May-27, 07:21 PM
They've probably restricted bingiton to the US, or just North America, or something. That may well be because Google searches work much better in other parts of the world, such as the Canary Islands. That's an awesome looking volcano you've got there, by the way.Yes, I suspected as much, and yes, the volcano is awesome, we went to see it only yesterday.

HenrikOlsen
2013-May-27, 08:05 PM
Did a quick check with HMA, it definitely looks like it only works in the US, it's redirecting to Bing when outside the US, including Canada.

starcanuck64
2013-May-27, 08:48 PM
Did a quick check with HMA, it definitely looks like it only works in the US, it's redirecting to Bing when outside the US, including Canada.

Yup.