PDA

View Full Version : It's a girl!

Fortis
2004-Nov-20, 08:44 PM
Baby Fortis arrived into our lives at 7:39 p.m. Saturday 13th November. She is the most wonderful thing that I have seen and both myself and Mrs. Fortis have been discovering what the real meaning of the phrase "sleepless nights" really is. Truly couldn't be happier. :D

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-20, 08:52 PM
Congrats! My best to all three of you.

zebo-the-fat
2004-Nov-20, 09:11 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D !

Reacher
2004-Nov-20, 09:14 PM
Indeed, congratulations!
I don't know how long it normally takes, but have you named her yet, if you don't mind my asking?

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 10:07 PM
Oh Oh name her after me! :-D
Congrats man! Awesome job. So what was it like? I plan on having a little anoying bugger in 5 years or so. :-)

Kizarvexis
2004-Nov-20, 10:24 PM
Congratulations. Enjoy the fun and heavy responsibility of being a parent. Just beware of the poop in a few weeks. ;) Baby poop is the most toxic thing on earth IMO. :)

Kizarvexis
And yes, as a Dad I did my share of diapers. Even got paid once ($1 for baby wipes) by a nice old gentleman who said he had never changed a diaper and after smelling what came in the store bathroom, he was glad he doesn't have to now. ;)

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-20, 10:33 PM
Congrats! =D>

As a new dad myself (wow, 5 months come Tuesday :o ) it is an amazing trip.

My unsolicited advice: Ignore the Doom-and-Glomers, they just want to watch you squirm as they tell horror stories, I've yet to have it as bad as they wanted me to believe it'd be.

Humphrey
2004-Nov-20, 10:37 PM
Congrats! =D>

My unsolicited advice: Ignore the Doom-and-Glomers, they just want to watch you squirm as they tell horror stories, I've yet to have it as bad as they wanted me to believe it'd be.Just wait till shes 16 and wants to date a boy. Then you will want to be one of the Doom and Gloomers too. :-P

[no i dont have a kid at all. I just a educated guess. :-) ]

AGN Fuel
2004-Nov-20, 10:41 PM
Congratulations man! :D

My eldest is now 7, but I remember the exhilaration & awe the first time I held her as if it was this morning. It's an amazing moment.

Good onya, mate! :lol:

(Best to the missus, as well! :lol: )

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-20, 10:44 PM
Congrats! =D>

My unsolicited advice: Ignore the Doom-and-Glomers, they just want to watch you squirm as they tell horror stories, I've yet to have it as bad as they wanted me to believe it'd be.Just wait till shes 16 and wants to date a boy. Then you will want to be one of the Doom and Gloomers too. :-P

[no i dont have a kid at all. I just a educated guess. :-) ]Mine's a boy. As one guy said, all I have to worry about is one... uh... iffy word here (def #7) (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prick) while a girl's dad will have to worry about them all. (as def #6)

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-20, 11:04 PM
Congrats Fortis =D> another yet to be devil brought into the world :D

Congrats! =D>

Well i think Mrs. Fortis has more to worry about from the girls i know, one of my friends stole and hid all her mothers shoes as her mum stole and hid her 500 boots (about $1,000). She started ruining the shoes pair by pair (one a day) from the cheap ones up till she had done 500 worth of damage. To cut a long story short her mum has a brand new pair of boots :lol:

Don't worry Fortis still 16 years till then, enjoy it while she's little and non rebelious :D

Paul Beardsley
2004-Nov-20, 11:49 PM
I am 41, and I know I will never have children of my own. I like children, and they tend to like me, so I know what I'm missing.

I really love it when parents appreciate what they've got. Whenever a new dad says, "She is the most wonderful thing that I have seen," I feel a warm glow and know there is hope for the future.

So congratulations Fortis. May she bring you and Mrs Fortis great joy. And thanks for sharing your joy.

Spacewriter
2004-Nov-21, 12:31 AM
Congrats!

I've been told they grow before your very eyes!

Don't have any of my own, but do like to play with everybody else's.

;)

Tensor
2004-Nov-21, 12:37 AM
Fortis, Congrats =D> =D> =D> =D>

Congrats! =D>

[no i dont have a kid at all. I just a educated guess. :-) ]Mine's a boy. As one guy said, all I have to worry about is one... uh... iffy word here (def #7) (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prick) while a girl's dad will have to worry about them all. (as def #6)

The chances for having a girl depend on how the father acted during his teen years. The more the father chased (or worse, for him, caught) girls, the more likely he will have a girl. How else to explain why I have two girls and no boys? #-o

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-21, 04:26 AM
Fortis, Congrats =D> =D> =D> =D>

Congrats! =D>

The chances for having a girl depend on how the father acted during his teen years. The more the father chased (or worse, for him, caught) girls, the more likely he will have a girl. How else to explain why I have two girls and no boys? #-o

Chances of having a boy/girl depends on how many brothers and sisters your dad had. If it was all male and he had 50 brothers it's probably a million to one that you'll have a girl (not the real figures BTW).

But then again you could have been made infertile when you got hit in the groin at an early age. So i could have been made infertile more then 20 times :roll: ofcourse it has to be hard enough but when your young hard enough is a lot easyer then for an adult. So just be thankful if you can have kids and if you can't adopt and you'll be doing a more amazing thing then having a child as you could be saving one.

But then again it could be you got lucky and had two little girls. My mum wanted to boys which is why i stand my claim of she's insane :D

Tobin Dax
2004-Nov-21, 06:27 AM
Chances of having a boy/girl depends on how many brothers and sisters your dad had. If it was all male and he had 50 brothers it's probably a million to one that you'll have a girl (not the real figures BTW).

Hmm, I thought it was more of a boxers vs. breifs issue, or temperature more precisely. Though I guess that info could be outdated since I learned it a while ago.

gethen
2004-Nov-22, 01:44 PM
Congratulations, and enjoy. Ignore the prophets of doom. My daughter was the easiest child in the world to raise and I never understood all that stuff about girls being difficult.

Swift
2004-Nov-22, 01:49 PM
=D>
May you and the Mrs. get all the sleep you can. :D

kucharek
2004-Nov-22, 02:34 PM
Congratulations. And, as Gethen said: Enjoy! Time goes by so swiftly that soon you'll not be able to figure out how ever you were able to hold that kid on one arm.
Be real, give love and listen. This should avoid most of the possible problems. And kids are not a problem, they are an answer.

Harald

SeanF
2004-Nov-22, 02:57 PM
Congrats, Fortis! Best of luck to your whole family!

(But, hey, it took you a whole week to let us know?! For shame . . . ) :D

Just wait till shes 16 and wants to date a boy. Then you will want to be one of the Doom and Gloomers too. :-P

That's not an educated guess, Humphrey - you're just remembering what you were like when you were dating 16-year-old girls . . . [-X

:wink:

Humphrey
2004-Nov-22, 03:08 PM
A girl date me? Ha! Im still wodnering how i sukkered Rachel into saying yes to our first date! :-P

Fortis
2004-Nov-22, 10:42 PM
Indeed, congratulations!
I don't know how long it normally takes, but have you named her yet, if you don't mind my asking?
We have indeed! (We were keeping it very secret until after the birth. You never know if she'll really suit the name Gertrude until you see her. ;) )

Rosamund, or Rosie for short. It has plenty of different forms and contractions (as did my better half a bit over a week ago), so hopefully she'll have plenty of choice as she gets older. :)

SeanF
2004-Nov-22, 10:47 PM
Hey, wait a second . . . Where are the PICTURES?!

:D

Fortis
2004-Nov-22, 10:58 PM
Oh Oh name her after me! :-D
Congrats man! Awesome job. So what was it like? I plan on having a little anoying bugger in 5 years or so. :-)Astonishing, amazing, astounding. The morning sickness part of the pregnancy didn't look much fun, and towards the end she wasn't going to be running any marathons. On the other hand, when we got to see her last Saturday, it has all been worth every bit of it. It sounds like a cliche but she really is the most amazing thing to have happened to me (even if you include being abducted by grey aliens from Zeta Reticuli. ;) ) :)

Fortis
2004-Nov-22, 11:02 PM
Congratulations. Enjoy the fun and heavy responsibility of being a parent. Just beware of the poop in a few weeks. ;) Baby poop is the most toxic thing on earth IMO. :)
I've just experienced ballistic poo. It occurred in the middle of a nappy change when I was holding her legs up to get the nappy under them. I can confirm that it travelled in a nearly parabolic trajectory. :o

Fortis
2004-Nov-22, 11:08 PM

Hmm, I thought it was more of a boxers vs. breifs issue, or temperature more precisely. Though I guess that info could be outdated since I learned it a while ago.
IIRC Aristotle thought that boys came from one "magazine" while girls came from the other. There are also those strange correlations with different professions. (I think that there was one for theoretical physicists, and also one for Israeli fighter pilots.) Personally, I think that it's all down to the stork. ;) :)

Fortis
2004-Nov-22, 11:12 PM
Congrats! =D>

My unsolicited advice: Ignore the Doom-and-Glomers, they just want to watch you squirm as they tell horror stories, I've yet to have it as bad as they wanted me to believe it'd be.
Congrats yourself. :)

Where you lead we shall follow. Even in her first week we've seen her start to develop a little personality of her own. (As well as a second chin. I think she gets that from her dad. ;) ) People say that it gets easier after the first couple of weeks (or possibly all three of you start getting the hang of it.) I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

Captain Kidd
2004-Nov-22, 11:47 PM
Congrats yourself. :)Thank-ya

Where you lead we shall follow. Even in her first week we've seen her start to develop a little personality of her own. (As well as a second chin. I think she gets that from her dad. ;) ) People say that it gets easier after the first couple of weeks (or possibly all three of you start getting the hang of it.) I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)Heh, ours has yet to show his neck, somewhere south of his fifth chin is my guess. The first two weeks were rough. They have no sense of time, it's eat, sleep, poop, pee, repeat ad infinitum on a never ending two hour cycle. Once they figure out that dark=sleep/quite time it gets a ton better. Ours now wakes only once a night and sometimes sleeps all night. What a relief! That first morning when you slept all night you'll wake up in a panic and bolt for the child's room positive they just died in their sleep. :o Only to see him/her sleeping peacefully away.

Baths are fun too, ours hated his hair being washed due to how we had to hold him. But once the cord fell off and we could put him in the water, oh boy!

It'll be a blast.

gethen
2004-Nov-23, 12:43 AM
Hey, wait a second . . . Where are the PICTURES?!
:D
Yeah! We want pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Andromeda321
2004-Nov-23, 01:36 AM
Oooo! Potential pictures of a cute little baby? Where where where?!?!?
(Yes my maternal instinct does come out on occasion...)

orion11349
2004-Nov-23, 02:15 AM
Fortis,

Congrats, You have much fun ahead of you. Of Course Daughters are natures revenge for how you were when you were dating. You will live in fear that your daughter will bring home someone like you were.

J/K :lol:

Again Congrats

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-23, 03:57 PM
Fortis,

Congrats, You have much fun ahead of you. Of Course Daughters are natures revenge for how you were when you were dating. You will live in fear that your daughter will bring home someone like you were.

J/K :lol:

Again Congrats

I won't mind if my daughters bring home boys like me, i'll worry if my daughters end up like some of my ex-girlfriends. As all of them i had good reasons for the exing :)

Oooo! Potential pictures of a cute little baby? Where where where?!?!?
(Yes my maternal instinct does come out on occasion...)

Well we all have one... i want to see pictures too! :D I've actually been looking at baby pictures today, their all so cute. Now i have to go play HL2 and do manly things 8-[

SeanF
2004-Nov-23, 04:08 PM
Now i have to go play HL2 and do manly things 8-[
Okay, as long as you play HL2 and do manly things. ;)

Candy
2004-Nov-23, 08:44 PM
I am 41, and I know I will never have children of my own. I like children, and they tend to like me, so I know what I'm missing.

I really love it when parents appreciate what they've got. Whenever a new dad says, "She is the most wonderful thing that I have seen," I feel a warm glow and know there is hope for the future.

So congratulations Fortis. May she bring you and Mrs Fortis great joy. And thanks for sharing your joy. I am 38, and I know I will never have children of my own, either. I totally agree with you, Paul.

Congratulations, Fortis and family! :D

SeanF
2004-Nov-23, 08:59 PM

So congratulations Fortis. May she bring you and Mrs Fortis great joy. And thanks for sharing your joy. I am 38, and I know I will never have children of my own, either. I totally agree with you, Paul.

Congratulations, Fortis and family! :D
Paul, meet Candy. Candy, meet Paul.

;)

Humphrey
2004-Nov-23, 09:58 PM
I am 38, and I know I will never have children of my own, either. I totally agree with you, Paul.

Congratulations, Fortis and family! :DWhy not? (unless its medical) there should still be time left on yuor clock. :-)

pghnative
2004-Nov-23, 10:09 PM
About 20 years! (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/10151146.htm?1c)

Candy
2004-Nov-23, 10:27 PM
About 20 years! (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/nation/10151146.htm?1c) :o

I plan on adopting Normandy6644. Does this count? 8-[

electromagneticpulse
2004-Nov-23, 11:13 PM
Now i have to go play HL2 and do manly things 8-[
Okay, as long as you play HL2 and do manly things. ;)

I wussed out on the HL2 :lol:
Got a stress meigrane from it, stupid speedy zombies :evil:

I'm just writing today off as an off day. I'll redeem myself tomorrow, sleep in and drink beer out the can, while trying to build a shelf and failing miserably should just about do it :D

kucharek
2004-Nov-24, 07:26 AM
Even in her first week we've seen her start to develop a little personality of her own.
It's amazing how much personality they have from the first second and how much they communicate from the beginning. I'll never understand those people who say you can't do anything with kids before they can talk.
My daughter was born clean and sweet, she looked as if she just had taken a bath. Her big eyes were wide open and she looked around before starting to look for a drink. My son, well, boys, you know... Came out in need of a bath and took three days until he really opened his eyes. But he caught up a lot since these days. Both births thankfully were easy and quick - the midwifes needed more time for the paperwork than for the delivery.
Now these little rascals (http://img48.exs.cx/img48/7317/IMG_467.jpg) are nine and nearly seven and I don't want to miss them a day - though my daughter already threatens me with that she will some day hit puberty :-)

Harald