PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprivation and CCD astrophotograhy

blueshift
2013-Jun-01, 01:20 PM
How bad is this problem for the rest of you?

We really notice it a lot in our club. Some of us have gone 3 nights without any sleep at all and one is a doctor who does surgeries during the day before traveling for an hour and a half to go and set up and stay up until sunrise. One of us killed a deer while dozing off at the wheel and another wound up in a corn field before waking up. I have not gone to that extreme but I do notice the effects, feeling all hung over for up to a week after at times and I don't even drink. It is more taxing on my body than training for professional baseball was or even basic training in the army or any exercising.

If you are even one of the lucky ones who don't have to travel distances to dark sky sites, don't you still feel it hit you hard when just using your own backyard?

glappkaeft
2013-Jun-03, 06:12 PM
How bad is this problem for the rest of you?

We really notice it a lot in our club. Some of us have gone 3 nights without any sleep at all and one is a doctor who does surgeries during the day before traveling for an hour and a half to go and set up and stay up until sunrise. One of us killed a deer while dozing off at the wheel and another wound up in a corn field before waking up. I have not gone to that extreme but I do notice the effects, feeling all hung over for up to a week after at times and I don't even drink. It is more taxing on my body than training for professional baseball was or even basic training in the army or any exercising.

We have 45 minutes travel time but don't have anything resembling that problem. However we never pull all-nighters on a workday, we never do more than two all-nighters in a row and we always get at least 4-5 hours of sleep. The situation you are describing feels neither safe nor healthy.

Swift
2013-Jun-03, 06:19 PM
The situation you are describing feels neither safe nor healthy.
Unfortunately, that would be my take on it.

AstroRockHunter
2013-Jun-04, 12:19 AM
I do not advocate traveling to a dark site, observing all night, and then driving home.

Having said that, I have been guilty of it. I was a member of the Tuscon Amateur Astronomy Association and they have had star parties at the Kitt Peak picnic area. We were supposed to leave at about 9:30 or so, but some of us diehards would stay all night, myself being one. Then I would drive 2 and a half hours home. This is called "fun".

Which shows you just how dumb I am.

You see, I have two observatory domes in my backyard. And I have been known to go several consecutive night s without sleep (much to my wife's displeasure). But I must say that I would close things up at sunrise, go in and sleep for about 4 hours and then continue though the day.

So, no. Even with my backyard observatories, I don't have the problem of "feeling hit hard" by it.

blueshift
2013-Jun-06, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the responses. I personally have never done 3 nights in a row. I only did one all-nighter the first time I used my video camera along with another member in my club. I was unaware of how the video screen can apparently trigger the serotonin and keep one awake. The Sun just seemed to show up as a surprise. My new toy had my attention so much that I couldn't seem to stop experimenting with it.

I never felt groggy at all while tearing down and simply drove home. When I stepped out of my pickup at home is when I nearly fell over and knew I can't do that again. I am 64 and never felt so burned out over the next few days. I don't know what a hangover feels like since I don't drink, but I would guess it is something like that experience.

Tomorrow night I will be heading out but we usually knock off by about midnight, tear down and head back - home before 2. School is out so I don't have work to interfere. I can nap twice during the day Friday and, with the later wake up, I should be in good shape. Saturday night I head back out there but with my son along to help with the driving. We have a public on Saturday. We draw at that site pretty well.