PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the word "makeshift"?

tashirosgt
2013-Jun-02, 04:40 PM
What's the origin of the modern adjective "makeshift"? Was there ever an inferior sort of object called a "shift"?

Perikles
2013-Jun-02, 04:50 PM
What's the origin of the modern adjective "makeshift"? Was there ever an inferior sort of object called a "shift"?It comes from the phrase to make shift, where shift has the meaning of a fraudulent or evasive device, or an expedient necessitated by stress of circumstances (1647).

I admit I had to look up that date. :whistle:

Jens
2013-Jun-02, 05:21 PM
If you're looking for that kind of thing, I find the online etymological dictionary to be a good resource.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=makeshift&searchmode=none

danscope
2013-Jun-02, 11:04 PM
Hi Jens , Thanks for the link. A usefull site indeed :)

Dan

profloater
2013-Jun-03, 05:55 PM
and ther I thought it was archimedes with his lever:doh:

BigDon
2013-Jun-03, 09:14 PM
Which is, of course, different than "make do" which is what happens when you're surprised by lions while taking those cute "giraffe drinking water" pictures.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Jun-03, 09:18 PM
I thought that was "making doo".

Ara Pacis
2013-Jun-04, 04:57 PM
Is this similar to the meaning of "[blank]-rig". where "blank" can be jury or a couple ethnic referents?

BigDon
2013-Jun-04, 05:02 PM
Is this similar to the meaning of "[blank]-rig". where "blank" can be jury or a couple ethnic referents?

Not the same. The latter denotes a much shoddier substitute than a jury rig. (The furniture moving industry has some seriously politically incorrect members among its membership.)

Trebuchet
2013-Jun-04, 05:40 PM
I would assume that "makeshift" derives from the same usage of "shift" as "shift for yourself".

Ara Pacis
2013-Jun-04, 06:07 PM
Not the same. The latter denotes a much shoddier substitute than a jury rig. (The furniture moving industry has some seriously politically incorrect members among its membership.)

Well, I wasn't sure because one of the ethnic referents was German-related (IIRC), and since Germans are known for their excellent engineering, I thought it might be satisfactory.