PDA

View Full Version : Have anyone tried changing icons in Windows 7?

Inclusa
2013-Jun-05, 03:28 AM
In Xubuntu Linux, changing the whole icon theme completely is just a matter of selection.
In Windows 7, is it possible to change the whole icon theme set?

Solfe
2013-Jun-05, 04:54 AM
I guess it is possible, but you have to select each icon by hand in the control panel.

I would have to say that Linux (any and maybe all of them) treat icons completely differently than Windows 7 or Mac OS for that matter. You can change a DLL in Win7 to effect a change on each and every icon, but you have to have a source of images to use and run the risk of messing up a DLL by mistake. There are websites where you download source images, but it isn't as easy as Linux.

Mac treats icons differently and you can change them, one by one with a simple apple-I and paste the new Icon right on top of the old one. Icons are made at the program level.

There is also the possibility that there is more than one way to do this besides messing with the DLL or Icons. I have seen files labeled Icon download with both (very old) Mac and PC software from time to time. No user action was required to add a custom icon, but the program maker thought to include it for whatever reason. Perhaps they do a quick copy-paste action during the install? I am not sure really.