PDA

View Full Version : Navy Researchers Put Dark Lightning to the SWORD

Fraser
2013-Jun-13, 09:00 PM
Discovered “by accident” by NASA’s Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope in 2010, dark lightning is a surprisingly powerful — yet invisible — by-product of thunderstorms in Earth’s atmosphere. Like regular lightning, dark lightning is the result of a natural process of charged particles within storm clouds trying to cancel out opposing charges. Unlike “normal” lightning, though, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/102917/navy-researchers-put-dark-lightning-to-the-sword/)

neilzero
2013-Jun-13, 09:53 PM
So my last high altitude airplane flight over a strong thunderstorm may have given me a dose of gamma radiation equivalent to hundreds of Xrays. How could it be this was only discovered recently since there were a million human flight hours before 1963 at 50,000 feet or more. That smells like a cover up.
Anomaly high dosimeter readings are usually ignored? Dosimeter under respond to gamma in millisecond pulses? Near zero dosimeters have been above 50,000 feet? Dosimeters are rarely checked for less than one years accumulation? The story has some serious errors? Neil

Jens
2013-Jun-13, 10:47 PM
I think it's important to note that it says "as high as" so in other words they are putting an upper boundary on it. That would probably be an extreme event.