PDA

View Full Version : Odd, I've Seen This In Youngsters...

BigDon
2013-Jun-15, 01:55 PM
But not people my age. (early fifties.)

About four years ago I severely lacerated my left index finger length-wise. Basically butterflying it from the first joint away from the knuckle out to the finger tip. It took two deep and six surface sutures to close it.

And even though it's been healed a long time the end of my finger seems to be bifurcating now. As in I have two complete finger print pads in the center. (Which don't match, oddly enough.) For years it was just a thin white scar. I checked myself for "clubbing" but don't seem to have any other digits affected.

Darn. I take that back. Until right now I was just looking at my fingers.

Conditions that erode lung tissue often release a growth factor into your bloodstream that most of your body is insensitive to, except the ends of your digits. None of this conditions have good name BTW.

So what do I tell my doctor?

Trebuchet
2013-Jun-15, 03:47 PM
Can we see a picture?

On second thought, maybe I'd rather not!

tashirosgt
2013-Jun-15, 07:33 PM
I'm sure this is relevant: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/350948/description/Nail-generating_tissue_also_regrows_fingertips

grapes
2013-Jun-15, 08:11 PM
Darn. I take that back. Until right now I was just looking at my fingers.

Conditions that erode lung tissue often release a growth factor into your bloodstream that most of your body is insensitive to, except the ends of your digits. None of this conditions have good name BTW.

So what do I tell my doctor?
Well, it's not like you have no reason for COPD, but when's the last time you were evaluated? Make the appointment.

And hurry back.

edona7
2013-Jun-15, 08:45 PM
The condition of fingertips that is associated with lung disease is called 'clubbing' and is due to hypertrophy of the proximal nail plate and surrounding tissues. Clubbing can be seen in many other conditions and as a genetic variation, as well. This link at Wikipedia describes it well and has photos, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_clubbing

But the actual cause of clubbing is not well understood. I've actually never seen it in any of my lung cancer patients, but I have in those with COPD and interstitial lung disease. Hope this helps. But definitely get to your own doctor for an evaluation.

Clarissa