PDA

View Full Version : PhD astronomy in Australia

subny
2013-Jun-20, 05:07 PM
Hi

I am a Physics masters student from India in a college in Texas.

I want to pursue a PhD in Astronomy (observational/radio) Australia.

I have heard Australia is very good at obs astronomy - however google searches are revealing a lot about the telescopes and other facilities there but not much about the names of the Universities that offer a doctorate in Radio astronomy.

To that end I want to approach the forum members for some help - does anyone of you know which are the universities in Australia to which we can apply for a doctorate in Astronomy.

Thanks

weltevredenkaroo
2013-Aug-19, 10:59 PM
Try the amateur forums on http://www.iceinspace.com.au/home.html. They are pretty switched on and have a Radio Astronomy & Spectroscopy forum. There are more posts about spectroscopy in good part because not many people can afford radio gear they way they can acquire and use optical equip't. You might also look up the arXiv & ADS papers involving Daniela Carollo, Sarah Martell, Ken Freeman, and Timothy Beers. Their work is in the IR, optical, and UV bands, but the universities and institutes they represent are the websites you are really after. Good luck and much encouragement, radio astronomy is an exciting field these days. =Dana in S Africa

Pulsar77
2013-Dec-06, 04:45 AM
Start with UNSW, USYD & Swinburne University.

They all have doctorate programs in astronomy.

Amber Robot
2013-Dec-06, 07:48 PM
I want to pursue a PhD in Astronomy (observational/radio) Australia.

I have heard Australia is very good at obs astronomy

Is this the reason why you want to go to Australia for the PhD? Or do you have other reasons for picking Australia vs. other countries?

loglo
2013-Dec-08, 02:42 PM
Also check the ICRAR site and UWA.

NoisyAstronomer
2013-Dec-18, 09:33 PM
For radio astronomy in Australia, you want to look at the SKA collaboration and the pathfinder ASKAP. Might want to check out the universities that work on that, and they also have a grad student training program: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/student/index.html