PDA

View Full Version : Russia to have moon base by 2025- (yeah, right)

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Nov-23, 11:04 AM
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/lunar-04zzc.html

I suppose their economy could significantly improve by then :roll: :roll: :roll:

kucharek
2004-Nov-23, 11:11 AM
The article talks about an "automatic lunar base".

And any predictions about what Russia will do in 20 years are not very much worth. Even predictions what NASA will do in 20 years are highly questionable.

frogesque
2004-Nov-23, 11:22 AM
The article talks about an "automatic lunar base".

And any predictions about what Russia will do in 20 years are not very much worth. Even predictions what NASA will do in 20 years are highly questionable.

I think that's part of the problem, political expedient overshadows any long term goals and any prediction is only as good as the funding and/or the next election date. 20-25 years hence is just wishful thinking.

As a joint international project, Russia/USA/Europe, it should be do-able but for any one country to go it alone would be a very expensive exercise.

kucharek
2004-Nov-23, 11:28 AM
As we see with the ISS, international cooperation also makes it more difficult to kill the project. That's sometimes bad, but also sometimes good. I doubt that we would have an ISS if not the Russians would have been invited to participate.

frogesque
2004-Nov-23, 11:41 AM
As we see with the ISS, international cooperation also makes it more difficult to kill the project. That's sometimes bad, but also sometimes good. I doubt that we would have an ISS if not the Russians would have been invited to participate.

Agreed, that's kind of where I was coming from. Co-operative ventures (Likes ISS or the Anglo/French Concorde) were sort of apolitical and longer term goals can be set. There can still be competition within project elements but that tends to advance the cause rather than hinder it. For a huge concept like a Moon or Mars base only a joint venture makes sense. It's not just the base - it's servicing, logistics and mission co-ordination. I believe collectively we have all the skills required but scientific resource (= cash) outside of defence is limited.