PDA

View Full Version : Accursed Slate Commenting System

Trebuchet
2013-Jul-04, 02:45 PM
On of the first things I noticed when Phil went to Slate was how terrible their commenting system was, but I went ahead and registered there anyhow, under this user name. About six months ago I started noticing posts signed "Trebuchet" that I hadn't made. Now I can't get in at all -- apparently they've killed my account and given it to the other guy! I had been posting as "Trebuchet" on Phil's original blog since about the time I came here, 2005. Now I'm hijacked. So if you read something you don't like at Slate signed "Trebuchet", it isn't me.

I'm debating whether to re-register with a new name such as "TheOriginalTrebuchet" or some such but perhaps it just isn't worth the effort.

Hlafordlaes
2013-Jul-04, 06:49 PM
No kidding, their comment system is beyond broke and useless. Not to mention it's unmodded and full of... chaff. I've just about given up entirely.

Trebuchet
2013-Jul-19, 03:44 PM
Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser. I've discovered that I get automatically logged in to Slate, as "Trebuchet" from the home desktop computer but can't get in from the laptop at all. Requesting a password reminder from the laptop by using my email got "email not recognized" or some such, while doing it with the user name got no response, presumably because it went to the other Trebuchet.

I've also noticed that a Global Warming post which previously had 900+ responses now has only a couple hundred. Perhaps they start counting over at 1000.