PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking

cjackson
2013-Jul-11, 03:28 AM
Are there any videos of him from the 70s and early 80s speaking with his own voice? I've always been fascinated by how he really sounds.

ASTRO BOY
2013-Jul-11, 03:46 AM
Not that I have heard. He was diagnosed with ALS in 1963 when he was 21 and given two years to live.
Brief History of Time was his first publication and one of many, although the only one I have read.
He has also co-wrote some science books for children with advice from one of his daughters
A remarkable man.

BioSci
2013-Jul-11, 04:04 PM
Are there any videos of him from the 70s and early 80s speaking with his own voice? I've always been fascinated by how he really sounds.

There likely are some older recordings from before he used the voice synthesizer. I vaguely recall some early videos of him presenting work where his speech is very slurred (not understandable) but being interpreted by a dedicated associate (postdoc?).

Swift
2013-Jul-11, 08:36 PM
There likely are some older recordings from before he used the voice synthesizer. I vaguely recall some early videos of him presenting work where his speech is very slurred (not understandable) but being interpreted by a dedicated associate (postdoc?).
I have a similar vague memory, though my memory was the translator was his nurse, who I think later became his wife. But I do recall that he became much easier to understand after getting the voice synthesizer. I also recall that his biggest complaint about it was that it had an American accent, not a British one.

ASTRO BOY
2013-Jul-11, 08:54 PM

Bingo!!!
Just jogged my memory. I certainly now remember that video and he was definitely being interpreted by one of associates, and if I recall correctly, that was Brendan Carter.
I also vaguely remember Kip Thorne Interpreting for him at one time.
His nurse? Probably correct but I would say more in private matters rather then matters of science/cosmology.

Swift
2013-Jul-12, 01:43 AM
Found this documentary about him on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjC9T_k4j4). He is speaking, without his computer voice, at around the 3:20 mark, and they make the point about a student translating for him.

ASTRO BOY
2013-Jul-12, 09:55 PM
Bingo!!!
Just jogged my memory. I certainly now remember that video and he was definitely being interpreted by one of associates, and if I recall correctly, that was Brendan Carter.
I also vaguely remember Kip Thorne Interpreting for him at one time.
His nurse? Probably correct but I would say more in private matters rather then matters of science/cosmology.

The following was the video I was referring to, although I only had it in VHS tape form.
It's called " Brief History of Time" and documents the life of Hawking from when he was born in '42 in London during the war, through to about 1993 when the tape was released.
The story of Hawking's life is told by his mother, sister and his peers and fellow scientists such as Kip Thorne, Roger Penrose, Brendon Carter and a few others of great interest.
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeaIHB5mBqU

ASTRO BOY
2013-Jul-12, 10:00 PM
Hawking once described himself as........
" Physicist, Cosmologist and somewhat of a dreamer....Although I cannot move and need to speak through a computer, my mind is free""
As I said earlier, a remarkable man.