PDA

View Full Version : Water-Trapped Worlds Possible Around Red Dwarf Stars?

Fraser
2013-Jul-17, 03:20 PM
Hunters of alien life may have a new and unsuspected niche to scout out. A recent paper submitted by Associate Professor of Astronomy at Columbia University Kristen Menou to the Astrophysical Journal suggests that tidally-locked planets in close orbits to M-class red dwarf stars may host a very unique hydrological cycle. And in some extreme [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/103518/water-trapped-worlds-possible-around-red-dwarf-stars/)

neilzero
2013-Jul-17, 06:49 PM
Here are some more related details: 1 Possibly we have found about 100 planets tide locked close to stars with 0.06 to 0.6 solar mass, but we have not proved the first tide locked planet yet = the math indicates most of them are tide locked or rotate in resonance something like Mercury. If tide locked a few percent liberation is likely = wobble like our moon. Is the period of the wobble of our moon about 27 days? The wobble, if significant, increases the width of the zone with comfortable to humans temperatures. The wobble is likely faster as the planet will be many times closer to the photosphere of the star, than Mercury. These close planets likely have more than twice the cloud top gravity of Earth, if they have more mass than Jupiter, but we will likely be finding mostly less mass than Jupiter or Neptune, soon, as the technology improves.

2 We don't know about exoplanet atmospheres yet, but we may soon. We are getting some clues. If the atmosphere is thin, the dark side will be much colder than the permanently lighted side, so the water, if any, will be trapped on the dark side, unless the hot side center is about 500 c = 932 f which is possibly too hot for any kind of life. A band of temperatues favorable to humans is still possible, and well water may be available if the planet has as much or more internal heat than Earth = reasonably probable.

3 With a bit thicker atmosphere than Earth, the dark side will be only a little cooler than the lighted side, which might make most of the planet tolerable for humans. 4 A near circular orbit is desirable, otherwise too hot and/or too cold is likely to alternate about weekly. 5 There's more, but that should get me some posts telling me that I'm wrong, which I will attempt to refute with logic instead of prestigious sources, which likely abound, as my thinking is rarely the first. Neil