PDA

View Full Version : Amazon eliminating user contributed photos

tashirosgt
2013-Jul-18, 07:38 PM
Amazon.com is eliminating the user contributed photos of products. All pictures are scheduled to be removed by August 15 - according to reports from users who have contacted their technical support about missing pictures. This is Amazon.com USA. I wonder if the UK version follows the same policy.

I wonder if they will eventually eliminate video reviews also.

HenrikOlsen
2013-Jul-18, 07:45 PM
I suppose that's partially in response to the recent fad of gag reviews of stupid products.

Solfe
2013-Jul-18, 10:53 PM
That and some people are downloading images from manufacturers websites and uploading them as their own. That is a big liability.

tashirosgt
2013-Jul-18, 11:23 PM
That and some people are downloading images from manufacturers websites and uploading them as their own. That is a big liability.

I haven't seen any examples of that. Sellers of products might find that practice expedient, but the seller's photos are still on the web pages. It would be strange for a customer to do it.

Solfe
2013-Jul-19, 02:05 AM
I haven't seen any examples of that. Sellers of products might find that practice expedient, but the seller's photos are still on the web pages. It would be strange for a customer to do it.

Never-mind, I did mean seller images.

I did take a look at some user contributed images and can't find a one that looks appropriate for Amazon. All of them were a mess of memes or poorly photoshopped stuff. What are user contributed images supposed to be for, because I clearly don't understand.

Ara Pacis
2013-Jul-19, 04:32 AM
Never-mind, I did mean seller images.

I did take a look at some user contributed images and can't find a one that looks appropriate for Amazon. All of them were a mess of memes or poorly photoshopped stuff. What are user contributed images supposed to be for, because I clearly don't understand.

The same thing user-contributed reviews are for, disseminating information and opinion.

swampyankee
2013-Jul-19, 01:49 PM
My first suspicion would be IP issues, not just in regards to people and businesses uploading images to which they do not have the rights, but I'd also suspect legal claims made against Amazon by the actual uploaders if, for example, amazon.com shares an image with amazon.co.uk, could be another issue.