PDA

View Full Version : Phil Mickelson wins The British Open Championship

danscope
2013-Jul-21, 07:01 PM
Way to go Phil !! A brilliant closing round at challenging Muirfield made it possible.

Mickelson won the claret jug for the first time and his fifth major championship with a 5-under 66 on Sunday, matching the best round of the tournament .
I had my hopes, but others were well ahead yesterday. Today, he was brilliant.
Congratulations to Phil. Also congrats to henrik Stenson , the runner-up who shot 284 on a very tough course at Muirfield in Scotland. Wish I was there. Nice weather for great golf and true champions.

Dan

schlaugh
2013-Jul-21, 09:21 PM
Hear hear! Phil shooting a 66 on that course in those conditions - bone dry, windy and greens seemingly made of glass - is darned amazing. It would have been nice to see Lee Westood win but he was stymied again.

danscope
2013-Jul-22, 12:43 AM
Yes, Lee Westwood played so very well and certainly had deserved hopes of winning. The course plays no favourites and many come to grief. I could not imagine Phil overcoming the lead with such a spectacular finish.
This will be remembered indeed.
Best regards,
Dan

Cougar
2013-Jul-22, 05:40 PM
That was quite a finish, all right. At one point there not far from the end, any number of people could have come out ahead. I liked Curtis Strange's joking comment, "I predict an 8-way playoff." Call me nationalistic, but I'm glad it was Phil and not Lee. The Brits have already taken first at Wimbledon and that 2-week long bike race. :eek: No need for greed.... :naughty:

:p

danscope
2013-Jul-22, 08:44 PM
Yes, ..... time to share :)